Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say (14578 Views)

Kenyan Says Nigerians Are Operating Like Chinese And Taking Over African Nations / My Experience Living In China For 4 Months - A Nairalander / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Arsenalholic(m): 1:10pm On Mar 18, 2017
From Unbutu To Xenophobia: What It's Like To Be Black And Foreign In South Africa

If you didn’t already know, part of being black in 2017 involves listening to spiritually uplifting songs, like “Alright” by Kendrick Lamar. So, while rapping along on my way to work early the other morning, I was shocked by a buzz from my phone:

My people are attacking immigrants again. I heard the news last night and I just want to tell you that I am sorry, babe. Please take care”, read the text message.

My family moved from Kenya to South Africa when I was six years old, meaning I was 14 during the horrific xenophobic attacks of 2008.

Before the mass eruption of xenophobic violence, I knew that black South Africans were terribly frustrated when I asked them to “please speak English, I cannot understand you.” And why not? We should be able to speak in a non-colonial language. But the xenophobia on display in 2008 left me in disbelief.

It was the images of Ernesto Alfabeto Nhamuave’s burning body that made me see this “deep dislike” for what it was—hate. Like Ernesto, you could be an immigrant, legally admitted into this country, you could be minding your own business and you could still be beaten, stabbed and then set alight. Your murder could even occur in broad daylight and there will somehow be no witnesses or suspects, nobody will be held accountable and the case will go cold, all because of your nationality.

Of all the new South African things I fantasized about getting after leaving everything to come here, a new accent was never one of them. Since South Africans were apparently incapable of understanding me, I was obliged to attend speech therapy twice a week after lunch break to rid my tongue of Kenya.

However, my parents ensured that we were still surrounded by people who call the same land, “home”. In this network of ours, we share survival skills, like how to pronounce the isiZulu word for elbow, indololwane. We heard that immigrants are being asked to say this word because its delicate pronunciation will reveal a foreign tongue so we practice even though we will probably never perfect it but just in case, you know.

I can easily recall learning the word ubuntu before I left home. The word has lived in the mouths of South African greats, like Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela. This word was tightly embraced by South Africa because it nuanced the utopia of a people who had been battling the apartheid regime. Ubuntu is an African philosophy that revolves around the idea that you are because some else is, it is a philosophy that emphasises the importance of understanding our humanity and ourselves as social beings, it is a philosophy that speaks to the hospitality of the African spirit, and more overtly, it is now a philosophy that falsely advertises the South African culture.

Being a foreign African national has always been an extreme sport in South Africa. There are cases from as early as 1994 that account for xenophobic violence but the country is still a place of “refuge” for many Africans. There are African stories about the impressive infrastructure of Johannesburg, the nation’s consumable tap water, the power of the Rand and the inclusivity of the South African constitution. South Africa is like a tall glass of milk and a never-ending flow of honey. Even though, our African homes are indeed majestic in their own right, things like “political unrest”, “economic instability” and “environmental degradation” can cause your house to catch fire or even just the smoke itself makes it terribly difficult to breathe. So please understand that leaving your home, your family, your people, your history, your land and choosing a country that does not want you, is predominantly an act of survival.

South Africa only began recognising refugees after 1994 when the country became a signatory to the United Nations’ and Organisation of African Unity’s Conventions of Refugees. By that time there were already hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals in the country. Overtime, the numbers have increased and there is still uncertainty about the exact number of foreign African nationals that reside in South Africa. Despite all its glory, this country is infamous for its horrific crime and rape statistics. Furthermore, the young democracy is still struggling to restore equality. The nation still suffers from unemployment and poor service delivery from government. These and other socio-economic factors seem to be disregarded when South Africans resort to violence towards foreign African nationals.

Now, I am not here to say “NOT ALL FOREIGN AFRICAN NATIONALS” but foreign African nationals are blamed for heinous crimes and stealing the jobs of locals. I get it, the resources are not distributed evenly and we are all trying to get the tiny piece of pie that we now feel entitled to as black people but how are foreign African nationals to blame? How does torching the tiny Ethiopian-owned corner shop create employment? How does shooting a Nigerian decrease the crime in an entire community?

The most terrifying part is that people in positions of power are simply not willing to acknowledge this “deep dislike” or they simply share xenophobic sentiments. After the horrific 2008 xenophobic violence, Thabo Mbeki, the president of the nation at the time, said, “I heard it said insistently that my people have turned or become xenophobic…I wondered what the accusers knew about my people which I did not know”. Mbeki was apologetic but how could he be this ignorant? Had he not heard of the Zimbabwean and Senegalese who had been thrown out of a moving train or the Angolans who were deliberately trapped in a burning house? Had he not heard the derogatory vernacular term for foreign African nationals, kwerekwere, being thrown around?

More unapologetically, in 2013, police officers tied Mido Macia, a Mozambican man, to the back of their van and dragged his body. In 2015, Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini said, “Let us pop our head lice. We must remove ticks and place them outside in the sun. We ask foreign nationals to pack their belongings and be sent back”. This February, the Johannesburg mayor, Herman Mashaba said, “[Illegal immigrants] are holding our country to ransom and I am going to be the last South African to allow it.” Subsequent to both King Zwelithini and Mashaba’s remarks xenophobic violence became rife.

The ease in which black South Africans resort to xenophobia is unnerving. In the month of February 2017 alone; there has been an anti-immigrant march, Mario Khumalo registered a political party called “South African First”, which is built on xenophobia, and the President of the nation, Jacob Zuma, stated that the violence that my fellow immigrants and I are experiencing is not “xenophobia”.

If anything, the current state of the nation represents the blindness of patriotism. Are xenophobic South Africans going to be ignorant to the fundamental failings of their state until every foreign African national is dead or deported?

Moreover, the target is on the backs of foreign African nationals which is baffling because we all know that the wealth is still in the white man’s pockets. So how are we incapable of recognising how Afro-phobia’s roots stem from racism?

I await the day that xenophobic South Africans are liberated from the strongholds of nationalism and realise that as Africans, we hold a history that is similar in one way or another. We are all trying to understand what it means to belong to a continent that was taken from us and then difficulty reclaimed. We are all trying to rid ourselves of the ideals that colonialism entrenched within us. All in all, we are surviving and looking forward to the day we can be submerged in the fullness of life. In the meantime, I will continue assimilating on the basis of survival and loudly chanting Kendrick’s mantra with the desperate hope that “we gon’ be alright.”

Hazel Kimani is a Johannesburg based writer, who is passionate about black people, Saturday afternoons & Hip-Hop. You’ll probably find her debating about social issues, laughing at the absurdity of life or giving hair tutorials to all the girls standing in the line for the bathroom. Twitter & Instagram: @hazelkimani

Source: http://www.okayafrica.com/culture-2/lets-be-clear-south-african-xenophobia-is-hate/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by sirOrubebe: 1:21pm On Mar 18, 2017
About 5 days ago, I became friends with a South African guy who lives in Johannesburg, We met at a digital marketing mastermind online.

He is quite intelligent and purposeful. It made me wonder what separates this guy from his other brethren who engage in this xenophobic mess. I got it – my bro is enlightened. Not just because he went to school, but because he has opened his mind to learning every day.

When I compare his actions with the actions of other non-Nigerian African friends I have been privileged to have, I see a pattern that is congruent, and I have hope for the future of mother Africa.

Young progressive Africans do not care where another African bro (or sis) is from (as long as they are Africans) we consider ourselves as one – we share similar fates.

I like this part of Hazel's article:

...as Africans, we hold a history that is similar in one way or another. We are all trying to understand what it means to belong to a continent that was taken from us and then difficulty reclaimed. We are all trying to rid ourselves of the ideals that colonialism entrenched within us. All in all, we are surviving and looking forward to the day we can be submerged in the fullness of life...

These young, progressive Africans like Strive Masiyiwa (lord bless him) are working and striving day and night to make Africa a leading light. To pull Africa out of the murky waters of backwardness that we have long found ourselves swimming in for so long now.

So while we condemn the act of those involved in this xenophobic debacle, we should also condemn the acts of those young Africans (especially my Nigerian brothers) who have chosen the path of quick wealth.

We need Africa to grow and for that to happen, we need to rid this continent of vices like internet fraud, ritual killings, drug peddling, inhumane treatments etc. They are shameful acts and sabotaging the efforts of well-meaning Africans.

My name is _____________ and the quest to make Africa a leading light is (one of) my passion(s).

3 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 1:26pm On Mar 18, 2017
Interesting read, some known facts & lies of course-the part where he says foreigners are asked to pronounce an elbow in isiZulu is a made up lie to sensationalize the article. As if a South African would ever mistaken a Kenyan for anything else other than a Kenyan. But hakuna matata grin Let them continue to spread half-truths, they just must not be surprised by the indignation as the result of that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Arsenalholic(m): 1:32pm On Mar 18, 2017
ZarZar:
Interesting read, some known facts & lies of course-the part where he says foreigners are asked to pronounce an elbow in isiZulu is a made up lie to sensationalize the article. As if a South African would ever mistaken a Kenyan for anything else other than a Kenyan. But hakuna matata grin Let them continue to spread half-truths, they just must not be surprised by the indignation as the result of that.
You will never know where the shoe pinches except it's on your foot.
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by peteregwu(m): 1:34pm On Mar 18, 2017
ZarZar:

So, are you now saying you are south African?
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 18, 2017
Arsenalholic:
You will never know where the shoe pinches except it's on your foot.

Wow, believe whatever but I'm telling you it's a lie. It's very easy to tell a foreigner apart, all you have to do is just look at them. Why go to such an extent when the writing is on the wall? Does it make sense to you?
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 18, 2017
peteregwu:

So, are you now saying you are south African?

I never claimed to be anything else. South Africa born, bred & buttered.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by peteregwu(m): 1:38pm On Mar 18, 2017
Does it mean that South Africa nation does not have any other name to call their country like others...must it be 'south Africa? I think South Africa should be counted among Arab nations like Iraq, Iran, or syria grin. Wicked black people with dark mentality!

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 2:18pm On Mar 18, 2017
ZarZar:

Do average South Africans consider themselves as still living under Dutch oppression?
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 2:19pm On Mar 18, 2017
Muafrika2:

Do average South Africans consider themselves as still living under Dutch oppression?

No.
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by MtuMsuper: 10:55am On Mar 19, 2017
I lived / studied in SA and the things she has to say about the rape statistics are spot on, i mean its crazy. I wouldn't let my precious little princesses grow up in such a climate, its too toxic. A former colleague of mine, who is a black south African Xhosa speaking woman told me something that was astounding : the worst place to be a young woman today is south Africa and Congo DR(a misnomer, since it's actually the very undemocratic republic along the Congo River ).
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by MtuMsuper: 10:56am On Mar 19, 2017
ZarZar:

No.
my dear, greetings to to you, Sawubonani? Le kae mma?

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by IronGalaxy: 11:03am On Mar 19, 2017
MtuMsuper:

it's actually "sawubona" when greeting one person and "sanibonani"when greeting more than one person

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by IronGalaxy: 11:07am On Mar 19, 2017
It's interesting the way people go on about South Africa ..there are countries in Africa you know. I also find it amusingthat everyone is suddenly an expert in South African matters

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 19, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Lol, nice one. Both not my home language but siyaphila/re teng smiley
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by MtuMsuper: 11:28am On Mar 19, 2017
ZarZar:

Lol, nice one. Both not my home language but siyaphila/re teng smiley
ok correction taken. siyaphila / re teng is which south african language? my Kenyan ears understand isiZulu and tshiVenda most. Sesotho and Setswana are so sexy for my ears
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by MtuMsuper: 11:30am On Mar 19, 2017
IronGalaxy:
it's actually "sawubona" when greeting one person and "sanibonani"when greeting more than one person
thank you sir for the correction , if we were in grade school and you were my teacher, i would have received 5 cuts across the palm, and i would run home crying to my mum

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 11:39am On Mar 19, 2017
MtuMsuper:

ok correction taken. siyaphila / re teng is which south african language? my Kenyan ears understand isiZulu and tshiVenda most. Sesotho and Setswana are so sexy for my ears

You said "Sanibonani", which is Zulu for "Hello there". Then you said "Le kae?"- Sotho for "How are you?". I replied "Siyaphila" to your Zulu greeting. "Siyaphila" is a reply given both by Zulus & Xhosas to a greeting. I'm Xhosa, btw. "Re teng" is "All is well" in Sotho. So you mixed two languages in one greeting, which is understandable smiley I can't speak nor understand tshiVenda but the rest I can, so big ups to you for understanding the least spoken & least understood language in SA. How do you say "Hello" in your language? Which language do you speak?

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by ABOKI9ja: 12:04pm On Mar 19, 2017
ZarZar:

as a South Africa Nationl why are you in this Forum? Its for Nigerians not stupid set of People, a people that behave like Animals. Wake up and do hard work that is only way to free yourselves from Your gods (white people) and to strive for a better living.
Bi**tch

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by MtuMsuper: 12:07pm On Mar 19, 2017
ZarZar:

You said "Sanibonani", which is Zulu for "Hello there". Then you said "Le kae?"- Sotho for "How are you?". I replied "Siyaphila" to your Zulu greeting. "Siyaphila" is a reply given both by Zulus & Xhosas to a greeting. I'm Xhosa, btw. "Re teng" is "All is well" in Sotho. So you mixed two languages in one greeting, which is understandable smiley I can't speak nor understand tshiVenda but the rest I can, so big ups to you for understanding the least spoken & least understood language in SA. How do you say "Hello" in your language? Which language do you speak?
i am a kenyan. most kenyans are at the very least bilingual. Many are trilingual. I am from the luo people and my maternal grandmother is from Tanzania. In our language, which is a non bantu language, we say, idhi nade? as a greeting meaning 'how are you? ' The reply is 'adhi maber'or 'am doing fine/well'.
Kenyans and tanzanians speak kiswahili (a bantu language ) as a national language, so most of us are intrigued to hear other bantu languages. Zimbabwean shona fascinates me the most. It's very understandable to me.
Can you compile a typical greeting card in Xhosa for us? How to greet, how to ask for water or food. Ps: isiXhosa and isi Zulu are so close, the untrained ear thinks they are the same.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 19, 2017
ABOKI9ja:
as a South Africa Nationl why are you in this Forum? Its for Nigerians not stupid set of People, a people that behave like Animals. Wake up and do hard work that is only way to free yourselves from Your gods (white people) and to strive for a better living.
Bi**tch

Go Bleep yourself, dumbass. Am I in Nigeria or accessing this forum from the comforts of my country using something called the internet, not visa. You are getting territorial of a website that's not even yours, on the basis that it's Nigerian-are there no Nigerians in South Africa? My presence here is virtual, while thousands of your people LIVE in my country.

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by LeSudAfricaine: 12:11pm On Mar 19, 2017
MtuMsuper:

i am a kenyan. most kenyans are at the very least bilingual. Many are trilingual. I am from the luo people and my maternal grandmother is from Tanzania. In our language, which is a non bantu language, we say, idhi nade? as a greeting meaning 'how are you? ' The reply is 'adhi maber'or 'am doing fine/well'.
Kenyans and tanzanians speak kiswahili (a bantu language ) as a national language, so most of us are intrigued to hear other bantu languages. Zimbabwean shona fascinates me the most. It's very understandable to me.
Can you compile a typical greeting card in Xhosa for us? How to greet, how to ask for water or food. Ps: isiXhosa and isi Zulu are so close, the untrained ear thinks they are the same.
but in Swahili you say " hakuna matata" and in Sotho you say " hao na mathata" they both sound similar and they both mean the same thing

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 12:16pm On Mar 19, 2017
ZarZar:

Now i see. You are are not even perturbed by the animalistic violence displayed by your people against immigrants,this ststement even tells me you support it. May God forgive you.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by LeSudAfricaine: 12:16pm On Mar 19, 2017
ABOKI9ja:
Bi**tch
you are projecting. It is in Nigeria where white man is God. Notice how you attribute every good, positive, and progressive thing to them but save negativity to the black man. It's the village mentality you all have in that shhthole

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 12:16pm On Mar 19, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Wow interesting. Thanks smiley Yeah, Zulu & Xhosa are very similar, you'll have to be familiar with both to catch up on the slight differences between the two. Will give you a lesson another day smiley

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 12:17pm On Mar 19, 2017
supergata:

Now i see. You are are not even perturbed by the animalistic violence displayed by your people against immigrants,this ststement even tells me you support it. May God forgive you.

No, I'm not! Sue me!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 12:18pm On Mar 19, 2017
ZarZar:

No, I'm not! Sue me!
Why should i?
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by LeSudAfricaine: 12:20pm On Mar 19, 2017
supergata:

please save us be righteous nonsense. Have you forgotten how animalistic you are to each other, killing each for human parts? Burning witches in broad daylight? Stoning adulterers? the barbaric violence of boko haram? I can go on... a Nigerian is the last person to claim moral superiority over South Africans

3 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 12:20pm On Mar 19, 2017
supergata:
Why should i?

IDC why. Find a reason.

Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 19, 2017
LeSudAfricaine:
please save us be righteous nonsense. Have you forgotten how animalistic you are to each other, killing each for human parts? Burning witches in broad daylight? Stoning adulterers? the barbaric violence of boko haram? I can go on... a Nigerian is the last person to claim moral superiority over South Africans
Nigerians are not claiming moral superiority over south Africans. Instead i supergata asin me myself i am claiming moral superiority over the unsympathetic south african animal zarzar.

May God Forgive me
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by LeSudAfricaine: 12:28pm On Mar 19, 2017
supergata:
Nigerians are not claiming moral superiority over south Africans. Instead i supergata asin me myself i am claiming moral superiority over the unsympathetic south african animal zarzar.

May God Forgive me
the problem with you Nigerians Is that you like throwing stones when you live in glass houses
Re: Xenophobia: See What This Kenyan Living In RSA Has To Say by ABOKI9ja: 12:28pm On Mar 19, 2017
ZarZar:

Go Bleep yourself, dumbass. Am I in Nigeria or accessing this forum from the comforts of my country using something called the internet, not visa. You are getting territorial of a website that's not even yours, on the basis that it's Nigerian-are there no Nigerians in South Africa? My presence here is virtual, while thousands of your people LIVE in my country, you retarded MF!
Do you mean there are no South Africans In Nigeria? Fvck! Why do you think like non-humans? Thank God my Country has a Name and proudly Black Nation unlike that country in the South that has no name and slaves' Country. I heard Burundi is dealing with you guys with hot hot hot...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

African Migrants Abandon The American Dream / Fuel Subsidy: NAIRAXI Unveils Tech Solutions For Mass Transit Operators In FCT / Container Falls On Major Highway In Ikeja Area Of Lagos. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.