Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,408 members, 7,808,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:08 PM

Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? (18998 Views)

5 Things We Do That Destroy Our Smartphones / Glo Yakata Prepaid Plan Launched- Get Up To 6GB Of Data On Recharge / 6 Unbelievable Things We Do That Damage Our Smartphones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Sulaymanmeek(m): 2:16am On Mar 19, 2017
Alright, before we talk about how many Gigga-bytes we can put into a smartphone, let’s make sure everybody knows what that is – and how it fits in with other components.... ***Google RAM wink

The more RAM a system has – whether that’s a PC for video editing, Programming or a smartphone; Gaming and Apps – has been proven to speed up performance. In practical application, this means more apps, and more complicated apps can reside in memory at the same time. When things reside in memory (rather than storage) they load faster, look better, and can do all sorts of whitchcraft-bang stuff.

Today’s smartphones usually sport between 1GB and 3GB RAM – with two being the “sweet spot” where performance meets value. Flagships, like Tecno Phantom 6plus Surprised you, me and the world with Super Fast core and of course 4GB RAM – cramming four whopping gigs of RAM inside. Does it help, compared to phones with a “paltry” two gig? Sure it does. Is it worth the extra cash to get the additional gig? Probably not.

I remembered correctly ''few years back'', me and my friends discussing the possibilities of having 3-4GB RAM in a Smartphone. Well i guess that was some ''few years back''
- Quick Questions
Do today’s apps “need” six (or eight) GB RAM to power them? Where are the gamer? Of course not. Would I trade the 3GB in my Tecno Phantom 6 for 1GB? Nope.

What that leaves us with is the same type of question we asked few years back: Is a 6GB smartphone simply overkill, or is it strategically helping to “future-proof” for the apps and OS of tomorrow? We certainly aren’t going to say that my Phantom 6's 3GB RAM ought to be enough for for everyday tasks until 2020” – but I'm curious to hear your thoughts!

lalasticlala mynd44 smiley

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by princemillla(m): 2:23am On Mar 19, 2017
6 gig ram is a welcom development. I consider them a future spec. Who knows what developer might comes with tommorow. So, 6gig ram to me is a challenge call for developers

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Sulaymanmeek(m): 2:25am On Mar 19, 2017
princemillla:
6 gig ram is a welcom development. I consider them a future spec. Who knows what developer might comes with tommorow. So, 6gig ram to me is a challenge call for developers
Great 6GB RAM will go along way solving Apps lagging and even improve better performance

6 Likes

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by princemillla(m): 2:27am On Mar 19, 2017
Sulaymanmeek:
Great 6GB RAM will go along way solving Apps lagging and even improve better performance

Thats it. If there is anything I appreciate the most in today's phone is lagging free. I love swift multi task device. That's why I would love to av 6 gig device

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Mountbatten: 3:09am On Mar 19, 2017
More RAM on a phone doesn't necessarily mean it would run smoother than one with less. Yeah, you would be able to run more apps in the background without bogging down the device but software optimisation is more important.

Take for example, my 3GB RAM Android phone lags on performing certain tasks while my iPhone with 2GB RAM has never lagged. Processor speed, optimisation and performance is more important than RAM size.

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Nobody: 5:08am On Mar 19, 2017
Mountbatten:
More RAM on a phone doesn't necessarily mean it would run smoother than one with less. Yeah, you would be able to run more apps in the background without bogging down the device but software optimisation is more important.

Take for example, my 3GB RAM Android phone lags on performing certain tasks while my iPhone with 2GB RAM has never lagged. Processor speed, optimisation and performance is more important than RAM size.
thank you jare. They don't know anything. They think it's by having excess ramsss and sheeps!!!!

iPhone 6s Plus with 2gig ram will out perform any android phone with 4 to 6gig ram.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Negotiate: 7:23am On Mar 19, 2017
Yes
Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 19, 2017
princemillla:
its not a future spec. Its a present spec.
Samsung has beeen reported to using a 6gb ram on the s8.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by opalu: 7:23am On Mar 19, 2017
Okay
Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by dessz(m): 7:24am On Mar 19, 2017
yes
Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by d33types: 7:24am On Mar 19, 2017
I assume you're referring to android devices because apple had never been interested in >4GB. Hence your question is ; Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our android devices?

If you understand android's ART/ Dalvik java memory management? You'll not ask stupid questions.

Of course it won't matter much for ios devices.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by teemanbastos(m): 7:24am On Mar 19, 2017
embarassed i still dey use 512mb ram phone here.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by dammytosh: 7:25am On Mar 19, 2017
Play some games on ur phone and you will see the difference.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by gbegemaster(m): 7:26am On Mar 19, 2017
Yes please. As more software and Tech is added to phones more Ram is needed

1 Like

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Otogah: 7:26am On Mar 19, 2017
Sulaymanmeek:
Alright, before we talk about how many Gigga-bytes we can put into a smartphone, let’s make sure everybody knows what that is – and how it fits in with other components.... ***Google RAM wink

The more RAM a system has – whether that’s a PC for video editing, Programming or a smartphone; Gaming and Apps – has been proven to speed up performance. In practical application, this means more apps, and more complicated apps can reside in memory at the same time. When things reside in memory (rather than storage) they load faster, look better, and can do all sorts of whitchcraft-bang stuff.

Today’s smartphones usually sport between 1GB and 3GB RAM – with two being the “sweet spot” where performance meets value. Flagships, like Tecno Phantom 6plus Surprised you, me and the world with Super Fast core and of course 4GB RAM – cramming four whopping gigs of RAM inside. Does it help, compared to phones with a “paltry” two gig? Sure it does. Is it worth the extra cash to get the additional gig? Probably not.

I remembered correctly ''few years back'', me and my friends discussing the possibilities of having 3-4GB RAM in a Smartphone. Well i guess that was some ''few years back''
- Quick Questions
Do today’s apps “need” six (or eight) GB RAM to power them? Where are the gamer? Of course not. Would I trade the 3GB in my Tecno Phantom 6 for 1GB? Nope.

What that leaves us with is the same type of question we asked few years back: Is a 6GB smartphone simply overkill, or is it strategically helping to “future-proof” for the apps and OS of tomorrow? We certainly aren’t going to say that my Phantom 6's 3GB RAM ought to be enough for for everyday tasks until 2020” – but I'm curious to hear your thoughts!

Visit www.nicebuilder. for your building projects.
Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by martineverest(m): 7:26am On Mar 19, 2017
NO....the flaws in android OS and inability of android OEMs and google to rectify it is the major cause of this OVERspeccing........IOS and windows OSes are more refined and integrated,thus no need for irrelevant specs....if u notice,iphones and windows phones of same spec with android are ususlly better and more efficient than android.

Overall,ARM-base devices like ios,windows,BB and android doesnt need RAM above 4GB RAM....its X86 devices(full windows,MAC and LINUS) that need powerful RAM

6 Likes

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 7:27am On Mar 19, 2017
Bases on 1 or 2 logistics....YES

1 Like

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Nobody: 7:27am On Mar 19, 2017
3gb ram is enough for me.

2 Likes

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Emmyhands4: 7:28am On Mar 19, 2017
Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 19, 2017
Yes my good sir, and only if a strong CPU goes with it, that is why Apple Devices are super fast they have superb CPU Speed.

3 Likes

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Goldenheart(m): 7:29am On Mar 19, 2017
Oh yes I do.. .. grin
Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by mykelmeezy: 7:31am On Mar 19, 2017
yes

but most people fail to realize the ram isn't really what determines the phone speed

if u doubt use a mediatek Device n a Qualcomm Snapdragon you will understand

4 Likes

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 19, 2017
teemanbastos:
embarassed i still dey use 512mb ram phone here.

10 years ago. 512mb ram on a phone was huge.

I used a symbian 12 years ago. This phone was top of its class and it had only 32mb ram or something close.

Back then i would have said 128mb ram was pointless, but phone apps these days are ram intensive. Several apps especially games are now over 1g in size! These monster apps need huge ram to push its graphics and other sleek features they come with.

3 Likes

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Nutase: 7:33am On Mar 19, 2017
Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Ngasky(m): 7:33am On Mar 19, 2017
U
Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by martineverest(m): 7:34am On Mar 19, 2017
ClintonNzedimma:
Bases on 1 or 2 logistics....YES
xplain pls
Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by henryobinna(m): 7:34am On Mar 19, 2017
No,

I'll tell you why

I did write an article about Smartphones one shouldn't buy in 2017 and I did touch this area check it out here http://www.droidpost.com/2017/01/smartphones-must-not-buy-in-2017-guide.html

Most phones run on processors that are 32bit and a 32bit cpu has a bus width of 32 which means that's the highest amount of data at an instant​, I know this is too technical... computer scientist would understand. but bottom line is a 32bit processor can access/use maximum of 4G of ram no matter that amount available.
The above is just the technical part.

but if the device is 64bit fine for the 6G ram but currently no application needs ot

Now, RAM too is just a container(albeit temporary) for resources/assets of an application, so it doesn't determine how fast your device handles proceses. 4G ram is best and cam handle any app or multitasking​ you want to do on your smartphone anything more than that is marketing gimmicks started by the Chinese guys. Many won't tell you it's actually your processor that handles/determines how fast your phone would be

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Horlufemi(m): 7:34am On Mar 19, 2017
Sulaymanmeek:

- Quick Questions

Peasant, speak for yourself.

64bit bit phones need 6GB ram. Have you used a 512mb phone before?

So good I personally need an 8GB phone

1 Like

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by martineverest(m): 7:35am On Mar 19, 2017
princemillla:
No ARM base OS actually need such RAM

1 Like

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by martineverest(m): 7:36am On Mar 19, 2017
Sulaymanmeek:
10 GB RAM wont solve it.....until google move android away from java

the more the ram,the poorer the battery efficiency....have u wondered y iphones with smaller battery last longer than most android with bigger batteries?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by Nobody: 7:37am On Mar 19, 2017
There is nothing like stupid question, only stupid answers like yours to questions posed for more clarifications. Furthermore, perspectives and reasoning differentiates intelligent response from unintelligent ones like yours.

d33types:
I assume you're referring to android devices because apple had never been interested in >4GB. Hence your question is ; Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our android devices?

If you understand android's ART/ Dalvik java memory management? You'll not ask stupid questions.

5 Likes

Re: Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? by iamjavadem(m): 7:37am On Mar 19, 2017
d33types:

Same way Apple wasn't interested in phones with big screens and look at them now. Some years back we didn't need laptops with more than 512mb ram but now I have 16gig ram on my laptop.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tariffs On Data, Voice Calls May Go Up / Flashback: Landphones And "Telephone" Numbers / Itel Launches New S18 Series (Features)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.