Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,050 members, 7,807,152 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General (29806 Views)

Nigerians Urge Ali To Wear Customs Uniform / Senator Adeola To Hameed Ali - Appear Before Senate In Customs Uniform Or Resign / Boko Haram: What A Retired General Told Me About ‘defeat Claims’ – Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by ijebuloaded(m): 7:51pm On Mar 19, 2017
David Jemibewon, a retired major general and former governor of defunct Western State, has weighed in on the ongoing faceoff between the Comptroller-General of Nigeria Customs Service and the Senate.
Hameed Ali, a retired colonel, has not been seen in Customs uniform since he was appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, sparking confrontation between him and senators who threatened serious consequences if he failed to do so by next week.
The senate before then had passed a resolution demanding that the customs boss appears before it on the service uniform to explain issues bordering on duty payment for imported vehicles.
Mr. Jemibewon said the demand from the senators was unnecessary.

“We tend to create controversy where there ought not to be controversy. In a situation we are today, we should not be focusing on wearing a uniform,” Mr. Jemibewon said.

Nonetheless, he threw his support behind Mr. Ali, describing him as a fine military man who should not belittle himself with Customs uniform.

“It would be belittling the position of the uniform of a member of the Armed forces,” Mr. Jemibewon said.
Mr. Jemibewon, a former Minister of Police Affairs, said he would have resigned if anyone had compelled him to wear police uniform as a minister.

“There was no way anybody could have compelled me to wear uniform. I would have resigned,” Mr. Jemibewon said. “Even if the law said so I would have resigned.”
The comments came days after PREMIUM TIMES reported that a former Customs chief appointed outside the service in similar manner as Mr. Ali wore uniform.
“The moment I was appointed, I became a career Customs officer,” Bello Haliru told PREMIUM TIMES last week. “I knew I must comply with all rules and regulations of the organisation I am leading and that included wearing a uniform.”

Similarly, Haladu Hananiya, a former Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Commission, wore uniform of the agency following his appointment by former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

This was despite the fact that Mr. Hananiya retired from the Nigerian Army as a major-general, years before his appointment to the FRSC

When reminded about these past events, Mr. Jemibewon praised their humility, but stood his ground, still.

“That is very good and I am happy about that. He probably just wanted to identify with them,” Mr. Jemibewon said of Mr. Hananiya, adding that they joined the Army together on the same day.
Mr. Jemibewon also admitted that he doesn’t know what Customs rules and regulations stipulate, but repeated that an Army officer should be above a Customs’ uniform.

“The highest patriotic body in any country in the world is the Army,” Mr. Jemibewon said. “You don’t expect someone who has risen to that position in the Army to wear customs uniform.”

“Here is a man who has excelled in his military career and you’re asking that one to wear Customs uniform? I don’t see how that will ensure competence and efficiency.”

But a former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, disagreed, writing on Twitter that the Senate must assert its position and a foremost authority in the country.

“The Senate should insist that he appears before them stark naked. If he refuses they should arrest him and have him brought in chains,” Mr. Fani-Kayode, who had beenstanding trial for alleged corruption since last year, tweeted on Sunday.
The Senate rescheduled Mr. Ali’s appearance to March 22 during which he must appear in uniform.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/226562-wearing-customs-uniform-will-belittle-hameed-alis-army-achievement-retired-general.html

1 Like

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by SalamRushdie: 7:57pm On Mar 19, 2017
Then he should leave the shameful custom job and focus on his military achievements

380 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by Ten12(m): 7:58pm On Mar 19, 2017
Another ass leaker of afonja tribe talking......

102 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by ijebuloaded(m): 8:00pm On Mar 19, 2017

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by Nobody: 8:00pm On Mar 19, 2017
Wearing Customs uniform will belittle his army achievements abi? But he doesn't feel belittle enjoying the appurtenances of his office as the CG abi? I weep for Nigeria!! I think he shld excuse himself from that office as he has denigrated it enough. He has insulted the conscience of Nigerians enough!!!

193 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by ijebuloaded(m): 8:02pm On Mar 19, 2017
lalasticlala , Mynd44 , Seun
Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by shukuokukobambi: 8:08pm On Mar 19, 2017
Ten12:
Another ass leaker of afonja tribe talking......

So of all the news in that report, the only part that your IQ could pick is Yoruba? angry

Were you killed during the civil war by a Yoruba soldier in your previous incarnation? angry

Meanwhile, if Ali feels the customs uniform is belittling, what about the office and the privileges? Are those not belittling too? Nonsense short man angry

97 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by Ten12(m): 8:21pm On Mar 19, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

So of all the news in that report, the only part that your IQ could pick is Yoruba? angry

Were you killed during the civil war by a Yoruba soldier in your previous incarnation? angry

Meanwhile, if Ali feels the customs uniform is belittling, what about the office and the privileges? Are those not belittling too? Nonsense short man angry

ND you managed to concur with me...that only an ass leaker will see nothing wrong in what Ali is doing nd in this case the ass leaker in question is from a certain afonja tribe so what wrong did I do in calling him afonja ass leaker...biko nwane zakenem ajujua

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by freeze001(f): 8:28pm On Mar 19, 2017
This Jemibewon should then advise Ali to resign the same way he claims he would have if he'd been required to put on the Police uniform. Why all d long grammar? He rather denigrates the NCS yet still sits pretty as CG for what reason? If he cannot identify with the service and boost the morale of the officers he leads then he should step down! The uniform will not affect his lacklustre performance in any way.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by freeze001(f): 8:29pm On Mar 19, 2017
Ten12:

ND you managed to concur with me...that only an ass leaker will see nothing wrong in what Ali is doing nd in this case the ass leaker in question is from a certain afonja tribe so what wrong did I do in calling him afonja ass leaker...biko nwane zakenem ajujua

Lol @ biko nwanem zakenem ajujua... grin
Ochi a togbuem ooo grin cheesy

15 Likes

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by naijaking1: 8:35pm On Mar 19, 2017
Once again, blame Buhari for appointing a vain glorious man who is proud to be paid as a custom officer, but ashamed to be seen as a custom officer. Only in Nigeria.

90 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by orisa37: 8:50pm On Mar 19, 2017
We're in a Democracy not Dictatorship. Hameed Ali must live with us as a Democrat and not a ratish Custom man in civilian uniforms.

20 Likes

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by Kennywills7(m): 9:13pm On Mar 19, 2017
If you are not proud to wear the uniform, the most honest thing to do is to resign
In fact he has no business accepting to be the comptroller General of custom when he feels or knows that the uniform will belittle his army achievements, it's an insult to those custom men and women proudly wearing the uniform on duty and on a daily basis

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by hucienda: 9:18pm On Mar 19, 2017
But collecting salary as CG wouldn't, ehn Jemibewon? undecided

At times one wonders what kind of knuckleheads are in naija. The kind of stupidity that comes out of some people's mouth can be sickening.

If it will belittle him, then he should resign for f*ck sake! Afterall there are 180million - 1 other folks who can do the job for naija.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by Caveatemptor(m): 9:22pm On Mar 19, 2017
This character David Jemibewon is one of the military officers who got to the position he is in today by participating in coup d'etats and overthrowing legitimately elected civillian governments.
His arrogance stinks to the high heavens.

Hameed Alli must wear his Customs Uniform unfailingly on Wednesday. If he can enjoy the perks,allowances and benefits of the Comptroller General of Customs. If he can sit in vehicles and planes embossed with the seal of the CG,then he must put on the uniform of a Comptroller General, however if he is consumed by ego,arrogance and pomposity he should resign and let another take his place.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by DerideGull(m): 9:29pm On Mar 19, 2017
The dumbass jackass must wear the custom uniform. Besides Nigerian Customs is part of the paramilitary units of the federal government of Nigeria. If the fools just realized wearing the Nigerian Custom uniform is a letdown, what encouraged him to accept the appointment? The dumbass ninny named Hameed Alli could have decline the appointment without a pain.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by Jengem: 9:30pm On Mar 19, 2017
The mind of the african man can be so dull

Imagine what a former minister is uttering

POS

Thats why all the service men move around like baboons and gorillas victimizing Nigerians and being sued for same

Even buhari wearing mufti now has the soul of one of the baoons, thats why the change is apesheet

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by Kennywills7(m): 9:30pm On Mar 19, 2017
It's either he wears the uniform or he resign.
I didn't even take this as an issue initially but with this show of arrogance he has to wear that uniform or he bows out because he is not bigger than Nigeria

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by abumeinben(m): 9:34pm On Mar 19, 2017
I don't know... Seems most of our first generation retired generals speak from retired brains angry

If wearing customs uniform belittles his expired army achievement, why did he take the offer in the first place?

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by kutchs: 9:44pm On Mar 19, 2017
Very shameful coming from a person who's supposed to know better. The Comptroller General of the NCS is not just an office, but also a rank within the service like the service chiefs, IGP etc. He must not belittle such a hallowed office. If Hameed Ali is ashamed of the uniform, then he must resign from the service.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by tempest01(m): 9:47pm On Mar 19, 2017
He did this to himself...When the Senate recommended that he rescind the import charges stuff, he was still acting stubborn and went ahead with it. Now, the Senate is all out for an ego fight with him, and they wield more power.

Funny thing is that he cannot single out one person that is against him, the Senate as an entity is against him. There will not stop until they subdue him...And they will or he resigns.

Best thing for him is to drop his ego, wear the uniform for one day and go back to his routine. Except he wants to pit the Senate against the executive

27 Likes

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by rexington: 9:50pm On Mar 19, 2017
I blame the president in all of this. If he had done the right thing by appointing someone from the customs we will not be discussing this matter, instead he took away one of the aspirations of custom officers (dreaming of becoming controller general) on the alter of party politics.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by shukuokukobambi: 10:22pm On Mar 19, 2017
Ten12:

I made a comment about the issue, you made a comment about the interviewee. Where is the concurrence you're confused about?

I know intelligent commentary isn't your strong forte but one would have thought being on a public forum should afford you the opportunity to get enlightened. Can we also also say a certain tribe of OSU east of the Niger are all thieves since the main defenders of Saraki, a Yoruba man, come from there? Or Rochas that wants to die on top Buhari matter is also an exhibition of the inhabitants of the kingdom of the yeeboe tribe? Will you die if you grow up and start focusing on issues? angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by columbus007(m): 10:29pm On Mar 19, 2017
A typical case of teacher no teach me non-nonse,Hammed Ali is strong headed and a bully,i'am sure this is already an existing law,now teachers are no longer living by their examples,an office in heading or maybe he's checkmating with his brother Buhari.

4 Likes

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by ZombieTERROR: 10:32pm On Mar 19, 2017
I know an afonja will make this useless comment to defend them up north

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by mekonglobal(m): 10:46pm On Mar 19, 2017
Thats one thing with most retired service men, very stubborn same with our president! they dont have any iota of respect to the rule of law. Well, i dont blame them, i only blame those who package them like koko garri for us to elect.

22 Likes

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by kutchs: 10:57pm On Mar 19, 2017
ZombieTERROR:
I know an afonja will make this useless comment to defend them up north
Stop this nonsense afonja thing.
Address the issue Jemibewon raised and leave where he comes from out of it. He didn't make this stupid statement because he's Yoruba but because he's a useless retired soldier. That's the thing with them, always arrogant and vainly proud.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by lollmaolol(m): 11:13pm On Mar 19, 2017
Then he shouldn't have taken up the appointment from start.

Rubbish, all we see is pride by a Rat-headed tyrant.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by Nobody: 12:40am On Mar 20, 2017
Accepting customs job will belittle his army achievemw t too. So he should step aside. Such arrogance!

13 Likes

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by chinjo(m): 2:29am On Mar 20, 2017
But collecting the highest salary in customs will not belittle his achievements in the military. CONTINU

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by Candyrain(m): 2:32am On Mar 20, 2017
If he can't identify with his new position and people he heads as the CG of Custom then he should do the honourable, RESIGN!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Customs Uniform Will ‘belittle’ Ali’s Army Achievement - Retired General by Annie939(f): 5:31am On Mar 20, 2017
then he should resign and go to hell

15 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis / Abuja To Otuoke Trekkers Did Thanksgiving For Safe Journey / Peter Obi Sick, Goes To Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.