Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,713 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away (22336 Views)

How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) / Please What Is The Recommended Soak Away Size For A Small Bungalow / Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by dondavinchi(m): 7:26am On Mar 21, 2017
It all depends on d terrain if u house is located in a water log area u can direct d kitchen waste to d soakaway bt if nt d can go to d septic tank n later excess water drain to d soakaway
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by hikmojj(m): 7:34am On Mar 21, 2017
Mentcee:
Buhari is plain stupid.
why are you so much in pain? who did this to you?
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Nobody: 7:35am On Mar 21, 2017
quote me if you live in osogbo and you a plumber
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by danemenike: 7:37am On Mar 21, 2017
Morning
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by luckydion(m): 7:40am On Mar 21, 2017
waster from the toilet is Human excrete and water while that of the kitchen is wastewater from washing of utensils.
Now plumbing such waste correctly matters to have long time before suffering form the issues of evacuation when filled.

channel all, ie. kitchen, bathroom and toilet to same chamber, the septic tank, this helps to neutralize, dissolve the fences (pool)
as everything turns to aqueous/fluid, it flows to the soakaway as it gets the channel (connector) level. everything will be absolved into the earth./soil. your septic tank in this process stays a longer time to full.

6 or 8 X 10 X 12ft is ok but it all depends on the type of soil...

1 Like

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by progress69: 7:52am On Mar 21, 2017
Una nor get gutters for that area?
Kitchen and bathroom goes straight to the drainage here.

1 Like

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Airee: 7:57am On Mar 21, 2017
Cutehector:
Mehn it still beats my imagination... How all these waste contaminated water enters back into the earth and yet still, clean fresh water is returned back to d surface in borehole systems

I also wonder.
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:02am On Mar 21, 2017
Cutehector:
Mehn it still beats my imagination... How all these waste contaminated water enters back into the earth and yet still, clean fresh water is returned back to d surface in borehole systems

I was taught in Geography that below the earth surface are layers of stones and rocks that naturally purify water. Those who study Geology will get my point!

I too wonder at the purifying technique of these earth materials.

1 Like

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by shams040(m): 8:04am On Mar 21, 2017
All liquid waste from toilet (bathing water, washing etc) and all water from kitchen shld go into soakaway while solid waste like our poo shld go to septic tank.

During our design soakaway are nt plastered for Dos water to get drain into d soil while our septic tank is plastered for easy remover of d sludge.

And that is why we recommend that any borehole must be 100meters away from soak away

1 Like

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Hez143(m): 8:05am On Mar 21, 2017
mufutau55:

Direct water of bathroom and kitchen to the Soak-away, the bottom will not be plastered so the water can soak under ground.
Direct the actual poo from the toilet to the Septic Tank, bottom will be well plastered.
Make their respective size according to the empty space you have.

Hajji Mufutau
That is very wrong sir,all waste water is to pass tru the septic tank before its being passed to the soak away

1 Like

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Hez143(m): 8:08am On Mar 21, 2017
Samanza89:
First have an idea of what is a septic tank and a soak away!...

Septic tank are used to collect effluent and store wastewater and solid waste. A septic tank works on a pH balance and bacterial activity to break down the solid waste, and once the tank is full, it will overflow into a connected drain field, or often, a soakaway. The tank is self-contained and is placed underground, so offers an excellent alternative to main sewage pipes if your property isn’t connected to a main system. Because septic tanks can treat and dispose of household wastewater onsite, they are often a more economical choice than connecting to a centralised sewer system, especially in rural areas where properties are more widely spread

A soakaway is a system comprised of a hole dug in the ground and filled with rubble and coarse stones. This allows surface water that would otherwise begin to pool to soak back down into the earth. Often the soakaway is placed away from the flooding area and a pipe connects the area to the soakaway in the form of a gutter or drain. This system is useful for built-up areas that are constructed out of impermeable materials as it reduces the amount of pooling water that can lead to floods.

Which system is best for my property?
If you are looking for a natural and cost-effective way to dispose of solid and liquid waste from your home or business, a septic tank, and possibly a connected soakaway depending on the land on your property, is what you need.

If you are looking to divert pooling rainwater or surface water from flat or impervious surfaces, however, then a soakaway is the solution for you.
You need a crate of cold origin!!!!! That very right

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:09am On Mar 21, 2017
fineboynl:
borehole water is not healthy. its untreated and unrefined. drinking directly is destruction to ones health

E no follow.

Some drink straight from borehole and nothing has happened to them because their body has developed immunity to microbes contained in the water.

For someone who's used to taking bottled water, if he should try it, he will find himself in the hospital because his body doesn't have immunity to tackle microbes in borehole water.

An uncle of mine developed the habit of drinking straight from the tap. I warned him to stop but he said, he won't. That he's used to drinking straight from the ground, and he wasn't sick as a result of drinking borehole water.
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by shams040(m): 8:09am On Mar 21, 2017
Hez143:

That is very wrong sir,all waste water is to pass tru the septic tank before its being passed to the soak away

Sir u a wrong d online pipe dat is connected to septick tank is d toilet big pipe while odas go to soakaway
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Ishilove: 8:09am On Mar 21, 2017
helphelp:
Ordinary water....

Why not channel it directly to the gutters
I was waiting for this. That's how my father designed his and it is working perfectly well.
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 21, 2017
mufutau55:

Direct water of bathroom and kitchen to the Soak-away, the bottom will not be plastered so the water can soak under ground.
Direct the actual poo from the toilet to the Septic Tank, bottom will be well plastered.

Hajji Mufutau
Thanks for this adult education lessons. Now i know the difference between them.

1 Like

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by shams040(m): 8:10am On Mar 21, 2017
My signature. A town planner
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by money121(m): 8:13am On Mar 21, 2017
Ok
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Cutehector(m): 8:14am On Mar 21, 2017
ferhyntorlah:

I was taught in Geography that below the earth surface are layers of stones and rocks that naturally purify water. Those who study Geology will get my point!

I too wonder at the purifying technique of these earth materials.
I just think God is awesome
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by hope4life: 8:18am On Mar 21, 2017
mufutau55:

Hajji Mufutau

Very good and intellectual comments. That's all.But to add to it, in swampy area like certain parts of Rivers State. The way they do their septic tank is different. They build a strong septic tank right away on top of the marked out portion and sink it. They don't just dig the ground and lay blocks or do concrete work like that. Also they don't cement the base.

1 Like

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Tex42(m): 8:19am On Mar 21, 2017
helphelp:
Ordinary water....

Why not channel it directly to the gutters
You are right on point baba.

Waste water from bathroom and kitchen should be channeled straight to the gutter.

Waste water from bathroom and kitchen have less microbial load/BOD concentration and are less likely to contaminate any water body they empty into.

Secondly they have a negligible foul smell compared to sewages from toilet.

@OP, kitchen or bathroom waste water should neither go to the septic tank nor soak away. They should be channeled to the drainage...

2 Likes

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by seniorkachion(m): 8:19am On Mar 21, 2017
Samanza89:
First have an idea of what is a septic tank and a soak away!...

Septic tank are used to collect effluent and store wastewater and solid waste. A septic tank works on a pH balance and bacterial activity to break down the solid waste, and once the tank is full, it will overflow into a connected drain field, or often, a soakaway. The tank is self-contained and is placed underground, so offers an excellent alternative to main sewage pipes if your property isn’t connected to a main system. Because septic tanks can treat and dispose of household wastewater onsite, they are often a more economical choice than connecting to a centralised sewer system, especially in rural areas where properties are more widely spread

A soakaway is a system comprised of a hole dug in the ground and filled with rubble and coarse stones. This allows surface water that would otherwise begin to pool to soak back down into the earth. Often the soakaway is placed away from the flooding area and a pipe connects the area to the soakaway in the form of a gutter or drain. This system is useful for built-up areas that are constructed out of impermeable materials as it reduces the amount of pooling water that can lead to floods.

Which system is best for my property?
If you are looking for a natural and cost-effective way to dispose of solid and liquid waste from your home or business, a septic tank, and possibly a connected soakaway depending on the land on your property, is what you need.

If you are looking to divert pooling rainwater or surface water from flat or impervious surfaces, however, then a soakaway is the solution for you.

Excellent comment and very educative. But what is meant by 'tank '? Is it a steel or geepee tank buried under ground or made of block and concrete and plastered all over?
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Goahead(m): 8:23am On Mar 21, 2017
Ishilove:

I was waiting for this. That's how my father designed his and it is working perfectly well.
Perfectly well until snakes starts crawling out in your kitchen and bathroom. E no concern me sha grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by shams040(m): 8:25am On Mar 21, 2017
*EGC & ASSOCIATES*

*Our AIM*:
To bring to your finger tips the best in *Town Planning and GIS Mapping Services* and related fields of endeavours inclouding Architectural Designs, Structural Designs, EIA etcetera.

Our Objectives:

1. Processing and perfection of title documents(survey plan, consent, C of O among others);
2. Building plan design and approvals;
3. Layout design and approval;
4. Technical report writing for residential; commercial, industrial and institutional uses eg EIA, TIA;
5. Project development and management;
6. G I S & Remote Sensing Mapping;
7. Academic & Business Research Analyst;
8. 3D Modelling and Animation;
9. Offering professional advice on land and landed property matters; and

www.egcandassociates.org.ng
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by naptu2: 8:28am On Mar 21, 2017
Ishilove:

Well, it is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Ishilove: 8:31am On Mar 21, 2017
Goahead:
Perfectly well until snakes starts crawling out in your kitchen and bathroom. E no concern me sha grin
It's been more than 20 years and we are yet to see one single snake cheesy
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by IYANGBALI: 8:32am On Mar 21, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

What's the difference between kitchen waste and toilet waste ??
kitchen waste is shiiiiit while toilet waste is pooo pooo
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by Ishilove: 8:32am On Mar 21, 2017
naptu2:

Well, it is wrong.
School me
Re: Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away by lonelydora: 8:43am On Mar 21, 2017
netoc65:
Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank first Or Straight To The Soak Away?
Which one is the standard practice?
And... What is the right size of the soak away and septic tank for a three bedroom bungalow

You have money Op. In most part of Port Harcourt especially Ikwerre dominated area, it is channelled to the road or to the gutters (if the area have one).

Where do you want an Ikwerre to put Septic or Soakaway in a small space?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) / "Lost My Properties In The First Rain Of The Year" - Nigerian Man Cries Out / LASEMA Reacts To Gas Explosion In Lagos (Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.