Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels (68836 Views)

Bigger Wheels And Smaller Wheels Which Speed Most At Same Acceleration? / Engine Oil And Alloy Rims / Alloy Wheels Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by unite4real: 8:08am On Dec 22, 2009
can somebody tell me the difference between a premium wheel and alloy wheel?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by ugonna245(m): 8:36am On Dec 22, 2009
they are both wheels
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by unite4real: 9:17am On Dec 22, 2009
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by kidsam: 10:38am On Dec 22, 2009
One is a kind of wheel that is referred to as premium while the other is a kind of wheel that is referred to as alloy Gbam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by KunleA2(m): 10:53am On Dec 22, 2009
unite4real:

The word is kinda depend on the car and manufacturer. More than likely a Premium wheel is an alloy wheel that was chromed on top of being an alloy wheel.Most luxury vehicles are in this category. You can possibly find some lexus with factory chrome wheels. They will look exactly in design are the alloy wheel but will still be chromed in addition to being alloy. This is usually from the factory and yes it will cost you more.

Example is below. The first picture is chrome and the other is alloy. They both come from the factory like that. You just have to pay more for the first one than the other one. Hope it helps.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by unite4real: 11:01am On Dec 22, 2009
Thank you.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by CarlosVent(m): 2:05pm On Dec 22, 2009
nice one all.
Thanks a lot
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by mrofficial(m): 2:25pm On Dec 22, 2009
While some chrome wheels are not factory, same with alloy wheel. Some are not strong, some damage on entering pothole while on motion.

That's why I always prefer factory alloy wheels.

I'll like the chrome if only it's from factory. The china chrome glitters at onset, after sometime, it fades.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by Fhemmmy: 5:45pm On Dec 22, 2009
Alloys can be defined as : a mixture of a metal as a main component, and another element which may be metal or non-metal.

By adding atoms of other elements into the crystal lattice of the metal, the properties change. This may include a change in:
-colour
-hardness
-malleability
-electrical conductivity
-melting point
An alloy is a mixture of metals that are also elements.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by unite4real: 6:26pm On Dec 22, 2009
@Fhemmmy. thank you for the definition and analysis of Alloy. Can you please do the same definition and analysis for Premium?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by slimes(m): 8:39pm On Dec 22, 2009
1} Premium wheels is more expensive
2} Premium wheels have more counterfeit
3} Alloy wheels can blend in any location in Nigeria at the expense of premium wheels which become the cynosure of all eyes.
4} Alloy wheels are nice on traction tires.

Premium wheels are just coated alloy wheels.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by Wallie(m): 4:04am On Dec 23, 2009
Premium wheels just mean that you pay more (premium) for them. In other words, like someone said earlier, you can have a standard wheel from a manufacturer but when they add chrome to those wheels, they charge you a premium for it. Usually, premium wheels will be bigger than the standard wheels but doesn’t have to be.

To give you a better context, when you want to buy a brand new car, you have the choice of adding more options than what comes standard on the car. If you want, one of the options can be a premium wheel, which they will charge you extra for.

The short definition is a wheel that doesn’t come standard on the car. The word “standard” in the context of cars means – things included in the base price.

If you understand what I’ve said so far, then you would see that an alloy wheel could also be a premium wheel. Example – 17 inches standard wheel but you have the option of upgrading it to a 20 inches alloy wheel, which you have to pay an extra $4,000 premium for.

Alloy is just a mixture of metals.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by gidson12(m): 8:01am On Dec 23, 2009
thank u guys smiley
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by ayobase(m): 4:22pm On Dec 23, 2009
#Wallie

That is a nice one!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by tunscolo(m): 7:33pm On Dec 23, 2009
u guys are full of fun. u make my day,
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by unite4real: 6:27pm On Dec 24, 2009
I am getting more confused here. i would like to know which of the two you would choose if the options are placed side by side, ie premium wheel car and an alloy wheel car
Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by Wallie(m): 12:55am On Dec 25, 2009
unite4real:

I am getting more confused here. i would like to know which of the two you would choose if the options are placed side by side, ie premium wheel car and an alloy wheel car

There's no reason to get confused; read my previous post. But here’s the hierarchy with number 1 being the most desired:
1. Premium wheels which is most likely made of alloy
2. Alloy wheels
3. Steel wheel with plastic covers

To answer your question directly, if both cars are the same year, model, mileage and have the same options, get the one with the premium wheels because the original owner paid extra for it.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels by Trac: 7:37am On Dec 04, 2012
A whole page and nobody answered it, even worse added definition to what doesn't exist.

There is no difference between an alloy wheel and an alloy wheel that has been considered commercially tagged premium. They are both alloy wheels. The premium wheels might have an extra enamel to the surface to appeal towards elegance. It serves no engineering function but mere aesthetics; eye-candy.

The ball-game turns around when the so-called "premium" wheel is an aftermarket. It's a serious downgrade and unideal under different cycle loadings and will fatigue after a period of time. This is because most of them don't meet specification standards. Engineering an automotive wheel is not easy (as simple as it looks) and the manufacturing of a wheel is from one single billet pressed into shape.

If the premium wheel is aftermarket (rims, spinners, whatever it is called) look elsewhere. Don't pay for that. It's even a safety issue and a serious one for that matter.

(1) (Reply)

$1.7million (n620million) Bugatti Veyron Spotted In Abuja Nigeria!!! / Man Drives Tesla Into A Petrol Station Leaving Attendants Confused / VOLKSWAGEN OWNERS VISIT OUR PROMO/DISCOUNT THREAD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.