Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,798 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? (27023 Views)

Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / Man Surprises Wife With N15million Benz Just To Say 'Thank You' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by kingphilip(m): 11:22am On Mar 26, 2017
mastermaestro:
Simple "thank you ma" won't take away your headship of your home. She isn't staying forever! Don't start a needless headless meaningless avoidable Cold War in your young home. Next time, thank mama for the meal. grin grin I know you would feel awkward about it. Just do it!! cheesy

Honour the woman, dude. But you may ignore my advice if you are older than her. undecided
you get sense jare

It doesn't take anything from him saying that

I'm sure even his wife he doesn't tell her thank you for the meal

8 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by nonjebose(m): 11:23am On Mar 26, 2017
Op, next take your food to the room and eat by yourself, whenever she is around. It will save all unnecessary attention
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by ahahnow: 11:23am On Mar 26, 2017
say thank you for what?
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by ettybaba(m): 11:24am On Mar 26, 2017
lytech1:
Thanks ma...
For what?

Was the food prepared by her?

Was she the one who foot the bill of the meal?

Ayamu not understanding..
I pity you and you seem to be proud.
What does saying thank you to an elderly woman take away from you?

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by jworos(m): 11:24am On Mar 26, 2017
Some comments here are just annoying...
If you grew up in a normal home, it's a normal thing to greet the elderly ones after eating, I don't see the big deal here.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by kingphilip(m): 11:25am On Mar 26, 2017
Bigsteveg:

Thank you for what? Did you go to visit them in their house? i am not getting this? pls, inform your wife not to try that talks with you next time. Or are u not the one providing for your family? Maybe its your MIL dropping the money
hope when your own mum comes around you'd do same

Or better still your wife does same to your mother you won't complain

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by chamillitary64(m): 11:26am On Mar 26, 2017
It is proper table manners to thank anyone that serve u a meal, even if it's your maid or your wife. Not to talk of your mother inlaw.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by JuneOctober(f): 11:26am On Mar 26, 2017
grin Hehehe. This is Africa sir. If you don't see any need to thank her, at least say something pleasant like "mama enjoy your meal." That's if she's still eating or "mama hope you enjoyed your meal?" Simple stuffs like that.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Flaghouse1: 11:28am On Mar 26, 2017
[/sub][sub] moo
LesbianBoy:
Lalasticlala come and see o!

Nothing wey person nor go hear for this forum! grin grin grin grin

Thank ma for what exactly? If it is in their house....ehen! Imagine some little kids on this thread saying it is "normal" to greet elderly ones you see after you finish eating! Imagine! If its like that let's say OP finish eating and he wants to quickly get airtime or something down the road. Naim be say, he will have to greet every elderly man or woman he sees on the road "thank sir" and "thank ma" cheesy cheesy

OP you know what, don't eat where your mother-in-law is again. Tell your wife to serve your food in your room, that is where you want to eat!

Don't start what you cannot finish! Before you know it now, her brother who is older than you with one or two years will come visiting and after you finish eating your wife will tell you why didn't you tell him "thank sir" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Right on point

Lets firget this outdated life style,the only time I can say thank you is when the food was prepareed by my mother,mother inlaw or any other elderly person,
Sorry to say your wife does not respect you that much,agreed its her mother to me the only time I.believe yiu can say thanj you is when she prepares.the meal

What would yoi say when her elde sister come s visiting
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Alirauf(m): 11:29am On Mar 26, 2017
As much as I want to support u on dis, stil it won't cost u any headache to say thank u Ma, in fact ppl say thank u to ppl for much less. I say thank u wen I collect my change, I say thank u wen ppl thank me, so please, please ur wife. It cost no pain to b 9z

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by charlesadams926(m): 11:29am On Mar 26, 2017
LesbianBoy:
Lalasticlala come and see o!

Nothing wey person nor go hear for this forum! grin grin grin grin

Thank ma for what exactly? If it is in their house....ehen! Imagine some little kids on this thread saying it is "normal" to greet elderly ones you see after you finish eating! Imagine! If its like that let's say OP finish eating and he wants to quickly get airtime or something down the road. Naim be say, he will have to greet every elderly man or woman he sees on the road "thank sir" and "thank ma" cheesy cheesy

OP you know what, don't eat where your mother-in-law is again. Tell your wife to serve your food in your room, that is where you want to eat!

Don't start what you cannot finish! Before
know it now, her brother who is older than you with one or two years will come visiting and after you finish eating your wife will tell you why didn't you tell him "thank sir" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Be quiet!

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Stephenndidi85: 11:30am On Mar 26, 2017
my dear greeting her after meal wont change anything from you. is jst a respect for ur elder
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by nonjebose(m): 11:30am On Mar 26, 2017
akankemi1:
mehnn,, I am hearing this for the first time in my life. 'thank you ma' for eating. if that's what your wife wants, maybe you should oblige her. its not part of our own custom sha...I be Yoruba girl, I marry Yoruba man, my hubby has never said thank you ma for eating and my mother has never taken offense. no big issue there sha. thank you ma for eating!!!! thank you ma for waking up sef even thank you ma for shitting
Hilarious.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by kode12: 11:32am On Mar 26, 2017
alfredo4u:
House, just needed candid advise, my mother Inlaw is in my place for omugo/visit.

Just this evening my wife served me my dinner and after finish eating I left the parlour to the bed room, my wife came in and said why didn't I even say thank ma to her mother.

Pls kindly advise becos I nearly took offence about it.
Its not about who foot the bill or who made the meal. Its about respect for elders whoever they are. I'm sure you wouldnt have a problem saying "thank ma" to your own mom or maybe dad, so dont let this be an issue for you sir.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by idu1(m): 11:32am On Mar 26, 2017
alfredo4u:
House, just needed candid advise, my mother Inlaw is in my place for omugo/visit.

Just this evening my wife served me my dinner and after finish eating I left the parlour to the bed room, my wife came in and said why didn't I even say thank ma to her mother.

Pls kindly advise becos I nearly took offence about it.
what the fuvk....?

Thanks for wetin?
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Nobody: 11:32am On Mar 26, 2017
OkoYiboz:
I wonder the type of home training the OP is hoping to pass on to his children.

He's one of those unenlightened clowns who had defective upbringing and give Ndigbo a bad name.

Like seriously, ppl claim Igbo's are disrespectful now I see y!

Haba common courtesy is now so hard...

SIL- Thank you Ma

MIL-Thank God my son...

ME-I am sorry Mummy cry

Mum-Sorry for yasef angry

Automatic elderly replies...

Happy Mothering Sunday to Mama"s n future moms kiss

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Pauls0n(m): 11:32am On Mar 26, 2017
It's just a norm from where I grew up. You're to thank any elderly person around if you're done eating.

I'm Igbo BTW!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by dingbang(m): 11:33am On Mar 26, 2017
BellaElla:

Yes it's proper.
When we were growing up, we were taught that you should thank the elderly ones in the room after eating. I still do that to anyone that is older than me when I eat. I am igbo by the way.
you are blessed..
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Bollinger(m): 11:33am On Mar 26, 2017
BellaElla:

Yes it's proper.
When we were growing up, we were taught that you should thank the elderly ones in the room after eating. I still do that to anyone that is older than me when I eat. I am igbo by the way.

Proper in what way? What are you thanking her for? Don't get me wrong, we were taught the same thing but with a difference. You say it to your own parents or whoever provided the meal. How does this make sense to you? These are the reasons why i believe Nigerians need serious re orientation.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by ziga: 11:34am On Mar 26, 2017
In the African culture, we are taught to respect our elders and that they can do no wrong.

That would be fine if in fact they did no wrong.

It is a culture that was made to subdue and enslave the mind. And that is why Nigeria has been held back for so many years by these so called Elders/political leaders. The same eh sir/yes sir culture has corrupted the whole place.

And BTW, I think it is right to be thankful when it is deserved.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by FromZeroToHero(m): 11:34am On Mar 26, 2017
Yes, it's necessary. She's your elder and courtesy demands you thank your elders after eating at home. It won't take anything away from you. Be respectful bro.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by firstking01(m): 11:35am On Mar 26, 2017
Kenshinmunac:
Hahaha Thank Ma
Wait the elders will soon arive to advise you. Wait ma call one for grin
Cc elder firstking01
Courtesy demands of it.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by jbaby265(f): 11:36am On Mar 26, 2017
This is the most Dumb question I have ever come across..

@op is not as if you don't know the right thing to do its simply your ego that is killing you.. Respect for elders will certainly earned you respect when you are old

Anyways everything boils down to up bringing mostly culture..if you were taught to respect your elders in every ramifications then you should have known better..
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 26, 2017
Op u are very stoopid asking this question, so u mean if it were ur father in-law u won't thank him.
Black men , u people are just clearly unintelligent and full of ego.
Tufia.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by jossy404: 11:37am On Mar 26, 2017
@OP ....it is actually a cultural thing. If you are from Urhobo or Isoko land and some igbo land you thank all the elders around one by one whenever you finished eating ........but if you are from Yoruba a simple appreciative gesture is okay for all.

Same goes for Yoruba prostrating when greeting ......while a typical south-South person see it as not right to prostrate before humans.......

Summary: cultural differences

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Nobody: 11:38am On Mar 26, 2017
If the food was provided by her, YES. Or she want you to thank her for visiting.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Bollinger(m): 11:38am On Mar 26, 2017
ziga:
In the African culture, we are taught to respect our elders and that they can do no wrong.

That would be fine if in fact they did no wrong.

It is a culture that was made to subdue and enslave the mind. And that is why Nigeria has been held back for so many years by these so called Elders/political leaders. The same eh sir/yes sir culture has corrupted the whole place.

And BTW, I think it is right to be thankful when it is deserved.

Are you sure you are Nigerian? Your post has the hallmark of someone with sense.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Kenshinmunac(m): 11:38am On Mar 26, 2017
firstking01:
Courtesy demands of it.

Gbam! Op I hope you don hear.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by LesbianBoy(m): 11:38am On Mar 26, 2017
Hypocrites plenty for this forum i swear! Imagine someone here saying when he takes his friends out he tells them "thank you" grin grin grin grin grin grin

And to those saying "its normal".....its not normal anything! Unless you are in their house, its only normal to thank her and her husband after eating!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by eitsei(m): 11:39am On Mar 26, 2017
akankemi1:
mehnn,, I am hearing this for the first time in my life. 'thank you ma' for eating. if that's what your wife wants, maybe you should oblige her. its not part of our own custom sha...I be Yoruba girl, I marry Yoruba man, my hubby has never said thank you ma for eating and my mother has never taken offense. no big issue there sha. thank you ma for eating!!!! thank you ma for waking up sef even thank you ma for shitting
as a Yoruba boy too, I was just laughing as I'm reading some comments here. This is the first time I'm hearing something like this too because the food that it's my mom that prepared it gan I can't remember saying thank you though I do acknowledge her efforts and say something like " what a delicious meal" and it doesn't mean I don't respect my elders
Thank you for what? Sitting when I'm eating?
Well, it's their own culture sha

6 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by BellaLuce: 11:40am On Mar 26, 2017
This is really weird. Where I come from we don't say thank you to our parents after eating except to the person that served you. I remember years ago when I was younger, I went to a friend's house and heard her thanking her mum after a meal. I thought it was cool and started thanking my mum also, but she ignored me whenever I thanked her! After a week or so, she told me to stop thanking her after eating as it sounds strange to her for a child to thank a parent after eating. And I come from a perfectly structured and normal family where I was raised right to always say 'please' and 'thank you' . For guys shouting it's lack of respect, remember this: culture differs.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by sacramento1212: 11:41am On Mar 26, 2017
akankemi1:

cheesy grin @ thank you ma for waking up and shitting. Well, those in support that the OP should have said thank you to the MIL are mostly the igbos because that's how they do it there. But to me that's nonsense as it doesn't make any sense except it was the MIL that cooked or served the meal. Thanking the wife for a well prepared meal is in order or for serving him but for the MIL, that's nonsense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Husband Flirt With Girls Alot Help Me !! / Should Married Couples Have Their Separate Rooms? / Mum Still Slaps Me At 23 Years Old

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.