Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,714 members, 7,802,159 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN (26940 Views)

Boeing Gives $100m To Help 737 Max Crash Families / Yuan Sale By CBN Excites Traders / Development Bank Of Nigeria Granted Operational Licence By CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by 1stGenius(m): 7:23am On Mar 25, 2017
Someone should alert me when $1=#1 and when standard of living improves.Till then...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by DollarAngel(m): 7:24am On Mar 25, 2017
Just picked up mine

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by musicwriter(m): 7:26am On Mar 25, 2017
All we have to pray now is for the world Bank and IMF not to crash crude oil price. Its only if this don't happen that the CBN would be able to sustain this effort of injecting dollars wisely into the market.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by alt3r3g0: 7:26am On Mar 25, 2017
When will this reflect on restrictions on Card usage?
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by alt3r3g0: 7:28am On Mar 25, 2017
musicwriter:
All we have to pray now is for the world Bank and IMF not to crash crude oil price.

And unity and peace in this country. The conflict made it exponentially worse.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by Adesiji77: 7:29am On Mar 25, 2017
chinoify:
Dollar sales that has so many conditions attached, is that one dollar sales

scam

Without holding brief for CBN, the conditions are not too tedious for those intending to use FX legitimately.

For instance, what business do I have with PTA/BTA if I am not travelling out of the country, particularly to Europe, the Middle East and America?

For trips within Africa, I can buy FX from the parallel market now and fund my Dollar MasterCard.

Only die-hard speculators should have sleepless nights now, you get?

4 Likes

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by musicwriter(m): 7:34am On Mar 25, 2017
alt3r3g0:

And peace unity and peace in this country. The conflict made it exponentially worse.

Yes, we need peace in the Niger Delta to sustain this. But, Buhari himself was the one that set off new crisis there.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by Nusaf: 7:43am On Mar 25, 2017
LastSurvivor11:

Don't be daft man..
Was is enemy of the state that made policies that increased the price of dollar and other commodities in the 1st place.
The state "government" is its own very enemy..

Small fry, stop spitting saliva all over the places while not saying anything in effect and loosing coordination at the same time.

Was it the govt policies that reduced the price and quantity of crude?

The beer parlour economists that keep churning out their beer parlour analyses to discourage the CBN short-term palliative measures while still encouraging nd militancy are the enemies of state.

2 Likes

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by menxer: 7:45am On Mar 25, 2017
Prices of items in the market went up because dollar exchange rate was high, now that the exchange rate has come down, why hasn't there been a corresponding decrease in the prices of things in the market?

I know someone will say, "traders get to offload their stock bought at the high Exchange rate" forgetting when the price was jacked up, they bought their stock at a prior lower exchange rate.

4 Likes

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 25, 2017
If all these dollar fall is supposed to be good news, why are goods and commodities still very expensive to purchase? I don't get!.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 25, 2017
menxer:
Prices of items in the market went up because dollar exchange rate was high, now that the exchange rate has come down, why hasn't there been a corresponding decrease in the prices of things in the market?

I know someone will say, "traders get to offload their stock bought at the high Exchange rate" forgetting when the price was jacked up, they bought their stock at a prior lower exchange rate.
makes sense
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by goooze(m): 7:55am On Mar 25, 2017
[quote[color=#006600][/color] author=HAH post=54919518]Is time for CBN to caonverge all rates in same place an equilibrium price should determined this is because the parallel market rate of 380 is almost the rate at which bank sell PTA which 375 and the CBN should reduce the spread between interbank and selling rate by banks the present 20% is very high infact the highest in the world at best it should be 5% just imagine the CBN give them dollars at 315 and they sell at 375, now if parallel market will sell at 375 too no one will go to bank bank buy because there is limit, trail or much documentation unless the ban drop their rate[/quote] This is a constructive argument we need more of this.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by wristbangle: 7:58am On Mar 25, 2017
menxer:

Brother, the only answer I have to your question is greed from traders/producers and poor price policy in the market.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by LuckyLadolce(m): 7:59am On Mar 25, 2017
hobermener:
The smart ones will increase their stock of dollars, i repeat, the smart ones will increase their stock of dollars!!!!
Funelling millions of dollars into the forex maket on a daily basis, is a stupid short term solution to a longer term problem, which i assume is just a calculated move to score cheap political points.the price of Oil, the major foreign exchange earner is still very low, with opec struggling to stick with its production quota, any sensible human will evisage a further drop in oil prices, as the world moves to cleaner energy, and opec member nations continue to ignore the organizations agreements. Though slow, a long term policy of import substitution and agressive exportation through economic diversification would ultimately lead to a precipitous decline in the dollar price, but what do we have, a government still spending billions on oil prospecting, foreign direct investment at an all time low, and one of the worst economic contraction in recent times, yet some fools still cheer this fire brigade method of pumping dollars into the market for school fee payments and tourism, things that only end up driving exports higher, further complicating balance of payment problems.
Producers who need forex the most do not get them, these people are supposed to be top priority, expecially the agricultural sector and the mining sector, agressive importation of producer goods is the top priority of any country that seeks to curb foreign exchange problems in the long run, these producers should have government acting as payment agents(in dollars) after these purchases have been verified by the cbn, while these producers pay in naira at subsidized rates, but what do we have, a government subsidizing payments for pilgrimage and other bullshït of little to no economic significance.
Call me a pessimist, that's your opinion, buth when the inevitable consequence of this stupid move raises its ugly head, there will be no one to save the naira!!!!!
sorry, no one was ready to read this craps, m not even a like. Kpele.

2 Likes

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by Reference(m): 8:02am On Mar 25, 2017
I guess this is result of the rampaging inflation. The CBN has bowed to political pressure and kicked the monetary can down the road. Folks will simply go back to their bad habits of 'importing toothpicks' and when the treasury is empty again the retribution will be just as nasty.

2 Likes

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by tweetsme(m): 8:05am On Mar 25, 2017
pumping dollar to stabilize the Naira is just a short term tactics. it will fuel more gap between the USDollar and the Naira. those who praising this move are just ignorant about how the whole thing works. What the naira need to stabilize against the USDollar is strategic long term plan of increasing Nigeria productivity for Export to earn more foreign cash. This way, you are taking in more USDollar for production.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by hobermener: 8:05am On Mar 25, 2017
LuckyLadolce:
sorry, no one was ready to read this craps, m not even a like. Kpele.
I feel Nigeria is condemned to a damning fate with empty minds like yours making up a bulk of the populace.
Go get an education, and trust me, its no waste of money
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by LoveJesus87(m): 8:07am On Mar 25, 2017
hobermener:
The smart ones will increase their stock of dollars, i repeat, the smart ones will increase their stock of dollars!!!!
Funelling millions of dollars into the forex maket on a daily basis, is a stupid short term solution to a longer term problem, which i assume is just a calculated move to score cheap political points.the price of Oil, the major foreign exchange earner is still very low, with opec struggling to stick with its production quota, any sensible human will evisage a further drop in oil prices, as the world moves to cleaner energy, and opec member nations continue to ignore the organizations agreements. Though slow, a long term policy of import substitution and agressive exportation through economic diversification would ultimately lead to a precipitous decline in the dollar price, but what do we have, a government still spending billions on oil prospecting, foreign direct investment at an all time low, and one of the worst economic contraction in recent times, yet some fools still cheer this fire brigade method of pumping dollars into the market for school fee payments and tourism, things that only end up driving exports higher, further complicating balance of payment problems.
Producers who need forex the most do not get them, these people are supposed to be top priority, expecially the agricultural sector and the mining sector, agressive importation of producer goods is the top priority of any country that seeks to curb foreign exchange problems in the long run, these producers should have government acting as payment agents(in dollars) after these purchases have been verified by the cbn, while these producers pay in naira at subsidized rates, but what do we have, a government subsidizing payments for pilgrimage and other bullshït of little to no economic significance.
Call me a pessimist, that's your opinion, buth when the inevitable consequence of this stupid move raises its ugly head, there will be no one to save the naira!!!!!
Thank you very much for insight

1 Like

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by Reference(m): 8:10am On Mar 25, 2017
Nusaf:

Small fry, stop spitting saliva all over the places while not saying anything in effect and loosing coordination at the same time.

Was it the govt policies that reduced the price and quantity of crude?

The beer parlour economists that keep churning out their beer parlour analyses to discourage the CBN short-term palliative measures while still encouraging nd militancy are the enemies of state.

No sir, they are the real agents of change. They want to wean you addicts off petrodollar fumes but you will have none of it. The malaria tablet of austerity
is partially administered. Watch out for the full blown economic infection when 'toothpick importers' resume operations. There is nothing like painless reforms.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by AngelicBeing: 8:11am On Mar 25, 2017
littlewonders:
I don't posses much knowledge on how this forex stuff works wanted allowing the girl above me explain But her case is worst even the guy below me makes it even harder.

Let me go watch tom and Jerry cos this entirely won't plunge the dollar story.
Hhahahahaha, grin grin grin tongue
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by Nusaf: 8:12am On Mar 25, 2017
[s]
Reference:

No sir, they are the real agents of change. They want to wean you addicts off petrodollar fumes but you will have none of it. The malaria tablet of austerity
is partially administered. Watch out for the full blown economic infection when 'toothpick importers' resume operations. There is nothing like painless reforms.
[/s]

Sharrap.

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by bongolistik(m): 8:19am On Mar 25, 2017
gypsey:
If all these dollar fall is supposed to be good news, why are goods and commodities still very expensive to purchase? I don't get!.
you have said it all. , the funniest is that those prices of commodities that kept shooting up when Naira value was low will no longer come down even now that the Naira has gained much strength. Making it too bad for all

1 Like

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by LuckyLadolce(m): 8:20am On Mar 25, 2017
hobermener:

I feel Nigeria is condemned to a damning fate with empty minds like yours making up a bulk of the populace.
Go get an education, and trust me, its no waste of money
Poeple like you feels you're better than people in the authority, but you're just a nairaland attention seeking slowpoke who's got nothing productive to do with his time. I'm sure people like you will be the first to still condemn this government if dollar keeps gaining strength against Naira.. what else do you want? if you really want to understand what the government is trying to do by this new approach, ask, some of us here will educate you. Imagine you calling yourself a FOREX TRADER, forex trader my as.s . Once you guys start selling BTC, PM , WEBMONEY online, you immediately qualify yourself as a forex expert. Oga go and learn so you will have less time to post waggish comments on nairaland. Nonsense!

3 Likes

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by wristbangle: 8:22am On Mar 25, 2017
hobermener:

God bless you. Well said

Cc: Modath

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by INTEGRITYA1(m): 8:28am On Mar 25, 2017
HAH:
Is time for CBN to converge all rates in same place an equilibrium price should determined this is because the parallel market rate of 380 is almost the rate at which bank sell PTA which 375 and the CBN should reduce the spread between interbank and selling rate by banks the present 20% is very high infact the highest in the world at best it should be 5% just imagine the CBN give them dollars at 315 and they sell at 375, now if parallel market will sell at 375 too no one will go to bank bank buy because there is limit, trail or much documentation unless the ban drop their rate

What you said is correct and will be effective across all forex traders, because if the bank rate should be reduced by 20% it will further strengthen naira at the parallel market also. CBN needs to reduce interbank rate to 250 at most, doing all these, we need to focus more on import substitute commodities for pressure on foreign currencies to be reduced to stand still. I think it's doable.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by hobermener: 8:28am On Mar 25, 2017
LuckyLadolce:
Poeple like you feels you're better than people in the authority, but you're just a nairaland attention seeking slowpoke who's got nothing productive to do with his time. I'm sure people like you will be the first to still condemn this government if dollar keeps gaining strength against Naira.. what else do you want? if you really want to understand what the government is trying to do by this new approach, ask, some of us here will educate you. Imagine you calling yourself a FOREX TRADER, forex trader my as.s . Once you guys start selling BTC, PM , WEBMONEY online, you immediately qualify yourself as a forex expert. Oga go and learn so you will have less time to post waggish comments on nairaland. Nonsense!
You badly need to get educated grin, and pretending to be is not gonna help either. I'll advice you improve on your reading and comprehension, which i bet a high school ged will help you achieve. Go through my post again, this time slowly, and point out where i laid claims to being a forex trader! grin. Lol.
Nigeria is filled with empty lousy brains like yours, little wonder the country is where it is grin
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by hobermener: 8:30am On Mar 25, 2017
wristbangle:

God bless you. Well said

Cc: Modath
I sight you the love doctor grin

Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by wristbangle: 8:32am On Mar 25, 2017
hobermener:

I sight you the love doctor grin

Lol how @ the bolded? cheesy
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by Collins0609(m): 8:35am On Mar 25, 2017
Its too long,am not understanding
HAH:
Is time for CBN to converge all rates in same place an equilibrium price should determined this is because the parallel market rate of 380 is almost the rate at which bank sell PTA which 375 and the CBN should reduce the spread between interbank and selling rate by banks the present 20% is very high infact the highest in the world at best it should be 5% just imagine the CBN give them dollars at 315 and they sell at 375, now if parallel market will sell at 375 too no one will go to bank bank buy because there is limit, trail or much documentation unless the banks drop their rate too thereby competing with the BDC for customers which will lead to drop in price, during the soludo and even sanusi era spread by BDC are hardly 5% sometimes just 2%.

Those saying we should float the naira should have a rethink, most nations defend their currency, floating your currency is like opening up the borders of your country no customs, no immigration, no visa, no duty everyone and everything enters at will. Assuming Nigeria is a major multi product exporting country floating may be ok, but as it is our major export is oil which is very volatile, believe me if we float speculators will run this country down dollar will be N1000 in no time.

@$50 per barrel Nigeria earn about $110M daily let's say 40% goes to the JV that means we will be left with $66m daily, I recommend a 50-50 approach between reserve and injection into the economy that means every week about $220M will be injected and $220M will be saved in the reserves. I believe the present intervention by CBN is necessary and very sustainable if there is the political will.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by hobermener: 8:36am On Mar 25, 2017
wristbangle:

Lol how @ the bolded? cheesy
Read some of your funny responses on romance threads, always leaves me rotf grin
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by BlackMbakara1(m): 8:36am On Mar 25, 2017
hobermener:

Brother if you were given an opportunity at the now based on what is on ground; what would you do differently considering the fact you can't stop people not to send their kids abroad, medicals, luxurious items etc I'm open to learning from you.
Re: FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN by LuckyLadolce(m): 8:37am On Mar 25, 2017
hobermener:

You badly need to get educated grin, and pretending to be is not gonna help either. I'll advice you improve on your reading and comprehension, which i bet a high school ged will help you achieve. Go through my post again, this time slowly, and point out where i laid claims to being a forex trader! grin. Lol.
Nigeria is filled with empty lousy brains like yours, little wonder the country is where it is grin
heheheheh, not until you call yourself a forex trader before I will be able to identify you as one.. we know guys like. With your empty analysis, one needs not to be told you're imagining yourself to be a forex trader. Will advise you to just use your time well and desist from coming to nairaland to claim champion. What you were looking for was LIKES as if that will help your situation, but it's a pity you couldn't even get 20likes and I can see you're really pained over that. Try your luck next time okay?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The Suggestion Someone Gave On Reducing The Overwhelming ATM Queues / Tony Elumelu Commissions Peju Alatise For Home Sculpture (Photo) / 7 Banks Rake In N700bn Profit In 9 Months Amid Inflation, Rate Hike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.