Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,102 members, 7,807,316 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? (10955 Views)

Mothering Sunday: Today Is Mother's Day, Celebrate Your Mom! / History Of Mothering Sunday / How A Nairalander Celebrated The Mother's Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Positiveminds(m): 5:43am On Mar 26, 2017
History has it that 'Mother Sunday' was originally a day set aside for people to go back to their local churches to worship there with their families. Over time this changed to a day to recognize the process of taking care of children as a mother would, hence the word mothering. It became a day to appreciate the mothers for the task of bringing up children, and for christians, godly children.

The point is this: We should endeavor not to forget our original roots. There is need for us to remember our local churches, for there the foundation of our christianity was laid. Mothers are special in our lives. In them God established the factory in which we were moulded for nine months before we came into this world. Mothers would do anything to ensure a child lives. Do not forget that mothering means to mother children whether they are biologically yours or not. Mothers are special . They form the engine block of civility in our societies.

Shout out to all the mothers .Happy Mothering Sunday.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by HungerBAD: 5:52am On Mar 26, 2017
Mothers day in the US is MAY 14TH.

Mothers day in Mexico is May 10th.

Women are so complicated they could not even settle for one day to celebrate themselves.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by eezeribe(m): 6:23am On Mar 26, 2017
All join

2 Likes

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by OneNigerianist: 7:25am On Mar 26, 2017
HungerBAD:
Mothers day in the US is MAY 14TH.

Mothers day in Mexico is May 10th.

Women are so complicated they could not even settle for one day to celebrate themselves.
today is mothering sunday not mothers day. It has christian foundation.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by adorablepepple(f): 11:31am On Mar 26, 2017
smiley whether is mothering Sunday ooo or mothers Sunday, I just want to say this about my mum
My mum is the best mother ever
# I remember how she would scold me and beat hell out of me whenever I misbehave, I used to think she wasn't my mum but we look alike
# my mum will still give my Brother and I goodnight pecks on our forehead and cheek when we go to bed till we got to senior secondary school .
# my mum would not hesitate to correct us wherever and whenever, so you have to behave to avoid embarrassment...
# lot of people use to claim my mum when we were young, everyone will be like am the first born of mummy I, am the second born o, in my mind I will be like so am what kwanu! The 27th born
# for close to 14 years my mother has been a widow and she has struggled to take care of us. She refused to remarry despite all the great offers...
# my mum influenced lot of couples positively when my beloved dad was alive and moved on to encourage and influence widows.....
# my mum doesn't believe you can't scold other people's kids,she believe once you give birth to a child the society has to help grow and train up the child, more reason why parents send their children to stay with us and learn.
# mummy I never understood why you use to be hard on me but now I know why,because everyday people thank God for my life and bless the parents who bore me and raised me.
# my mum is just so amazing and very funny
# my mum is over prayerful, we would be watching a movie and suddenly something happens in the movie, my mum will turn it into prayer point. Lol
# I don't want my momma to grow old, I want her to be forever young In good health...
# mummy we will always uphold your values and continue to enjoy your teachings.
# I can't say enough about my mum but a day with her is wonderful
# my brother and I will take care of you by God's grace
# I love you very dearly mama Nikoko
# to my dad, mummy loves you and still misses you, and we love you too. Keep resting in peace.
Happy Mothers day Iya Rere kiss kiss kiss

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Divay22(f): 11:32am On Mar 26, 2017
Happy Mothering Sunday

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH kiss kiss kiss kiss

7 Likes

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Flexherbal(m): 11:32am On Mar 26, 2017
Happy Mothering Sunday to all women!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Coldfeets: 11:32am On Mar 26, 2017
Actually, I think it's more like MURDERING sunday. grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Deem: 11:32am On Mar 26, 2017
It is not Mothers day in the US.
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Nobody: 11:32am On Mar 26, 2017
Gosh!!!!! Poster, you took this outta of my mouth
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by heisenbergheise(m): 11:33am On Mar 26, 2017
Happy Mother's day
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Noblesoul123: 11:33am On Mar 26, 2017
Whatever it is called, may GOD bless and reward all mothers for their pain, sacrifice and endurance, Amen
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Ezionye(f): 11:33am On Mar 26, 2017
So mothering Sunday and mothers day are not same
#Confused
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Stephenndidi85: 11:33am On Mar 26, 2017
a big shout out to my mum and all mothers
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by HenryQuest(m): 11:34am On Mar 26, 2017
Both are correct. It is ignorance and lack of knowledge that make some people correct those that use "mothering" instead of mother in the phrase. Mothering here has two meanings according to the dictionary.

1. the nurturing of an infant or small child by its mother .

2. (in rural England) the custom of visiting one's parents on Laetare Sunday with a present.

Relating it to the celebration, it is a day set aside to celebrate the act of nurturing infants and to give gifts and honour to mothers in recognition of their numerous sacrifices to their children. Mothering Sunday is a tradition of the church and not a subject for English class biko
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Alphyno: 11:34am On Mar 26, 2017
Hit "LIKE" if you Love Your Mother... kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Nobody: 11:34am On Mar 26, 2017
Happy Mothering Sunday to all great mums (mine's the greatest BTW) grin & future moms kiss
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by modelsms10: 11:34am On Mar 26, 2017
mothers sunday i guess.

pls check below
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by corporateDan(m): 11:36am On Mar 26, 2017
grin Christian and question . Be like (like father like son)

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by coolebux(m): 11:38am On Mar 26, 2017
Op keep confusing yasef
If you had gone to Church today, you should have averted this trouble you're pilling up for your feeble sense.

#happy_mothering_sunday
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by fufuNegusi(m): 11:38am On Mar 26, 2017
C
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by fufuNegusi(m): 11:40am On Mar 26, 2017
Mothers Sunday

Shout out to my future Mama of my kids
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by smartty68(m): 11:44am On Mar 26, 2017
OP if tell you say I no confuse for this your thread na lie I go the lie. Happy Mothering Sunday
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Factfinder1(m): 11:50am On Mar 26, 2017
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by ikorodureporta: 11:50am On Mar 26, 2017
`

13 Likes

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by PAnaceA7(m): 11:50am On Mar 26, 2017
Alphyno:

I love my mom buy won't click like....I wonder if pples bank account increases with the number of likes on nairaland.

Runs outta thread

1 Like

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 26, 2017
Alphyno:

Eeyah.... no like for you.. grin

2 Likes

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Dottore: 11:59am On Mar 26, 2017
Mothers' Day
Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Mar 26, 2017
Alphyno:
If I click like make I lay egg

P.S I love my mum tongue

1 Like

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by fippycbk(m): 12:09pm On Mar 26, 2017
Mothering Sunday is the 4th sunday in lent.

3 Likes

Re: Mothering Sunday Or Mother's Sunday? by OneNigerianist: 12:10pm On Mar 26, 2017
HenryQuest:
Both are correct. It is ignorance and lack of knowledge that make some people correct those that use "mothering" instead of mother in the phrase. Mothering here has two meanings according to the dictionary.

1. the nurturing of an infant or small child by its mother .

2. (in rural England) the custom of visiting one's parents on Laetare Sunday with a present.

Relating it to the celebration, it is a day set aside to celebrate the act of nurturing infants and to give gifts and honour to mothers in recognition of their numerous sacrifices to their children.
i am happy you ackowledge many make the corrections, therefore all of them cant be ignorant as you said. Mothers day is now allowed but still has more secular connotation. That why i said it is a christian celebration. It fall with church calender, involves church services and also called mid-lent or refreshment sunday.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Well Did I Understand Grace Before I Understood Grace? - Paul Ellis / Pastafarians, Let's Meet Here / I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.