Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,589 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes (2519 Views)

The Right Way To Preach About Hell - Milton Goh / Why Don't Pastors Preach About PAUPER'S TITHE As Prescribed By Scriptures? / Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 10:14am On Mar 26, 2017
I am lost as to why all the churches I have ever attended and all the pastors that have ever taught/preached to me have never ever quoted this passage of the scripture whenever they preach about tithe in the church. Here is the passage below

Deuteronomy 14:22-29English Standard Version (ESV)

Tithes
22 “You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year.

23 And before the Lord your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always.

24 And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the Lord your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the Lord your God chooses, to set his name there,

25 then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses

26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household.

27 And you shall not neglect the Levite who is within your towns, for he has no portion or inheritance with you.

28 “At the end of every three years you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in the same year and lay it up within your towns.

29 And the Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance with you, and the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, who are within your towns, shall come and eat and be filled, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do.

Now it is clearly stated from what I understand that there are 2 types of tithes:

1) the yearly tithe

2) the 3rd year tithe

From the above scripture, the bible admonishes us to gather our yearly tithe and eat what your heart desires (oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves) in the presence of the Lord with our loved ones. I have highlighted the word strong drink to emphasize that it is in fact not a sin to take alcohol as many profess.

Now on the 3rd year, we are to gather our tithes for that year and give to the Levite, Foreigners, Orphans, Widows, beggars.

May God help us to serve him as He expects of us, amen.

Cc: oam4j, lalasticlala, seun

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by dingbang(m): 10:17am On Mar 26, 2017
What is the greatest commandment?
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 10:18am On Mar 26, 2017
dingbang:
What is the greatest commandment?

Love, why do you ask?
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by dingbang(m): 10:19am On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:

Love, why do you ask?
good .. So why kill yourselves on tithes? Can you give the lord all you have in your possession?
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 10:22am On Mar 26, 2017
dingbang:
good .. So why kill yourselves on tithes? Can you give the lord all you have in your possession?

Does bringing God's word about how to serve Him mean I am killing myself over anything? Would you rather want to live in denial continuously?

Secondly, God never takes anything material from us because he does not need it. He rather needs just and only just our praise.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by dingbang(m): 10:23am On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:

Does bringing God's word about how to serve Him mean I am killing myself over anything? Would you rather want to live in denial continuously?
he has given you a new commandment.. And for your info I am not living in denial of the truth...
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 10:24am On Mar 26, 2017
So we should stop tithing? What is the new commandment if I may ask?
dingbang:
he has given you a new commandment.. And for your info I am not living in denial of the truth...
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by mexxmoney: 10:28am On Mar 26, 2017
I must confess, I am just seeing this for the first time

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by dingbang(m): 10:31am On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:
So we should stop tithing? What is the new commandment if I may ask?
I never said you should stop tithing... Giving to God should not be under compulsion but out of your heart.

The new commandment? Really? Ha.. Love the lord with all your heart and love your neighbor..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 10:34am On Mar 26, 2017
dingbang:
I never said you should stop tithing... Giving to God should not be under compulsion but out of your heart.

The new commandment? Really? Ha.. Love the lord with all your heart and love your neighbor..

But we are being taught Malachi 3 till date. Brother is the new commandment not affecting Malachi?
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 10:58am On Mar 26, 2017
mexxmoney:
that is the reason why I brought it up so we get to know certain things are deliberately being kept from us but again we are supposed to read the bible as believers on our own.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by dingbang(m): 11:00am On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:

But we are being taught Malachi 3 till date. Brother is the new commandment not affecting Malachi?
its not affecting Malachi 3.
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by zionmade(m): 11:09am On Mar 26, 2017
Lets go to mal 3
Bring all ur tithe and offering to my house. And see if i wont open the doors of heaven and pour u out a blessing.
Now if the first sentence should be dropped den neva u ask God for d second sentence.
Or i want to know is there any replacement for wat to do for God to ooen heavens and pour u prosperity because dat verse talks about prosperity.
D nature of God never changes, his only rule for prosperity is 1.know d word of God Josh 1:8 and dat knowledge will impart ur sowng into God's kingdom.
D bible said AS LONG AS D EARTH ENDURES SEED TIME AND HARVEST SHALL NOT CEASE.
Jesus said" where ur treasure is dat is where ur heart is"
The word of God says Give and it shall be given back to u.
I have proven dis law, those dat dnt giv tithes hardly and rarely sow into God's kingdom.

If u re a Christian, here is a warning, Never ever follow those who keep saying dat people pay their tithes to pastors it is an insult to God. How can u say such a thing about a seed dropped on d altar of God. I mean without fear?
Read d entire Deut Lev and numbers den u will learn to fear God

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 26, 2017
mexxmoney:
seconded. And some people deliberately ignore it either to vilify the alcoholics or to justify their selfish desires.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 11:18am On Mar 26, 2017
zionmade:
Lets go to mal 3
Bring all ur tithe and offering to my house. And see if i wont open the doors of heaven and pour u out a blessing.
Now if the first sentence should be dropped den neva u ask God for d second sentence.
Or i want to know is there any replacement for wat to do for God to ooen heavens and pour u prosperity because dat verse talks about prosperity.
D nature of God never changes, his only rule for prosperity is 1.know d word of God Josh 1:8 and dat knowledge will impart ur sowng into God's kingdom.
D bible said AS LONG AS D EARTH ENDURES SEED TIME AND HARVEST SHALL NOT CEASE.
Jesus said" where ur treasure is dat is where ur heart is"
The word of God says Give and it shall be given back to u.
I have proven dis law, those dat dnt giv tithes hardly and rarely sow into God's kingdom.

If u re a Christian, here is a warning, Never ever follow those who keep saying dat people pay their tithes to pastors it is an insult to God. How can u say such a thing about a seed dropped on d altar of God. I mean without fear?
Read d entire Deut Lev and numbers den u will learn to fear God

Can you please explain the passage of the bible as quoted in the thread header? I'm waiting pls

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 11:21am On Mar 26, 2017
dingbang:
its not affecting Malachi 3.
lolzzz, are you serious? How does the new commandment affect a section of the old testament and does not affect another?
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by dingbang(m): 11:25am On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:
lolzzz, are you serious? How does the new commandment affect a section of the old testament and does not affect another?
what are you saying.. Am saying that tithe giving shouldn't be done under compulsion, is not a criteria to be saved and as such, is not a must. That you only give what you hav genuinely..

Ok.. If u say tithes are compulsory then thieves give tithes too. Infact God will honor it.. U will tell me if God honored Cain's tithe. Mchew
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by zionmade(m): 11:29am On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:

Can you please explain the passage of the bible as quoted in the thread header? I'm waiting pls
Its self explanatory just go ahead and ask me wat u have in mind to ask me
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 11:46am On Mar 26, 2017
dingbang:
what are you saying.. Am saying that tithe giving shouldn't be done under compulsion, is not a criteria to be saved and as such, is not a must. That you only give what you hav genuinely..

Ok.. If u say tithes are compulsory then thieves give tithes too. Infact God will honor it.. U will tell me if God honored Cain's tithe. Mchew

Pls don't confuse tithe with offering. In the new testament when Christ said that woman who gave her all though her all is little gave the greatest. That was offering, it's different from tithe. Tithe for all that it is remains a tenth of our profit/produce.

Yes, tithes are compulsory my brother and as the opening thread states, it teaches us to honor God.

Cain gave a burnt offering. It's different from tithe. And why was it rejected, it's because his offering were bad ie, he did not gather the best of his produce to sacrifice.

For armed robbers who give tithe, I believe it is Good who does the rewarding. Remember the bible says God who sees in secret would reward you openly.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 11:48am On Mar 26, 2017
zionmade:

Its self explanatory just go ahead and ask me wat u have in mind to ask me
why I asked is because you chose to ignore those passages of the bible like they are not written by God when you were preaching your sermon. Don't you have anything to say as regards those passages?
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by dingbang(m): 11:50am On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:

Pls don't confuse tithe with offering. In the new testament when Christ said that woman who gave her all though her all is little gave the greatest. That was offering, it's different from tithe. Tithe for all that it is remains a tenth of our profit/produce.

Yes, tithes are compulsory my brother and as the opening thread states, it teaches us to honor God.

Cain gave a burnt offering. It's different from tithe. And why was it rejected, it's because his offering were bad ie, he did not gather the best of his produce to sacrifice.

For armed robbers who give tithe, I believe it is Good who does the rewarding. Remember the bible says God who sees in secret would reward you openly.
Cain and Abel gave tithes my friend!!
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by zionmade(m): 11:51am On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:
why I asked is because you chose to ignore those passages of the bible like they are not written by God when you were preaching your sermon. Don't you have anything to say as regards those passages?
Now go and read d entire leviticus and come back and tell me wat u understand by tithe.
Ensure u read d place where God defined tithe to moses. Dnt ask me to start quoting scriptures because i dnt lime spoon feeding sophomoric persons
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 12:22pm On Mar 26, 2017
zionmade:

Now go and read d entire leviticus and come back and tell me wat u understand by tithe.
Ensure u read d place where God defined tithe to moses. Dnt ask me to start quoting scriptures because i dnt lime spoon feeding sophomoric persons
you can't ask me to go and read the entire Leviticus like it was just added to the bible yesterday and I'm yet to hear about it. You have decided not to accept the truth of the scripture.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 12:27pm On Mar 26, 2017
dingbang:
Cain and Abel gave tithes my friend!!

Tithe was never given as a burnt offering but rather given to people on earth. Pls read the bible
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by zionmade(m): 12:28pm On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:
you can't ask me to go and read the entire Leviticus like it was just added to the bible yesterday and I'm yet to hear about it. You have decided not to accept the truth of the scripture.
The monthly tithe belongs to God. He specifically mentioned dat it should not be readeemed but d first fruit of unclean beasts was to be redeemed.
Thank God u specified a kind of tithe which is not d same as d monthly tithe. God specified a means for selection of the monthly tithe and dat one he called it his own.
So am not against d tithe mentioned by d OP but that one is differ from d tithe dat belongs to God. It was dat kind of tithe dat gave rise to Mal 3
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 1:25pm On Mar 26, 2017
zionmade:

The monthly tithe belongs to God. He specifically mentioned dat it should not be readeemed but d first fruit of unclean beasts was to be redeemed.
Thank God u specified a kind of tithe which is not d same as d monthly tithe. God specified a means for selection of the monthly tithe and dat one he called it his own.
So am not against d tithe mentioned by d OP but that one is differ from d tithe dat belongs to God. It was dat kind of tithe dat gave rise to Mal 3
I brought up this topic to be educated so please can you help with the passage of scripture to support your claim?
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by zionmade(m): 1:42pm On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:
I brought up this topic to be educated so please can you help with the passage of scripture to support your claim?
Lev 27:30
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 2:28pm On Mar 26, 2017
Leviticus 27:30-33New International Version (NIV)

30 “‘A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord. 31 Whoever would redeem any of their tithe must add a fifth of the value to it. 32 Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the Lord. 33 No one may pick out the good from the bad or make any substitution. If anyone does make a substitution, both the animal and its substitute become holy and cannot be redeemed.’”

zionmade:

Lev 27:30

So how can you satisfactorily explain these passages and those of Deuteronomy?
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by zionmade(m): 2:35pm On Mar 26, 2017
ahaika23:

Leviticus 27:30-33New International Version (NIV)

30 “‘A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord. 31 Whoever would redeem any of their tithe must add a fifth of the value to it. 32 Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the Lord. 33 No one may pick out the good from the bad or make any substitution. If anyone does make a substitution, both the animal and its substitute become holy and cannot be redeemed.’”

So how can you satisfactorily explain these passages and those of Deuteronomy?
There are daily offerings, monthly offerings, biannual offerings and yearly offerings. D one i stated is a monthly tithe d one u stated is a yearly or biannually tithe. They are not related. because even before u select d tithe u were referring to, u must have removed the tithe referred to in lev 27
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by annunaki2(m): 4:56pm On Mar 26, 2017
zionmade:

There are daily offerings, monthly offerings, biannual offerings and yearly offerings. D one i stated is a monthly tithe d one u stated is a yearly or biannually tithe. They are not related. because even before u select d tithe u were referring to, u must have removed the tithe referred to in lev 27

There is absolutely nothing called monthly tithe or tithe based on income in the bible, I put it to you that you are being very economical with the truth.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by zionmade(m): 5:28pm On Mar 26, 2017
annunaki2:

There is absolutely nothing called monthly tithe or tithe based on income in the bible, I put it to you that you are being very economical with the truth.
Lol bro d bible never uses monthly but uses d word harvest. Now harvest is a period u reap wat u sow. U can compare dat with salary for salary earners, so i used monthly in relation to wat is obtained today
I want to know wat exactly i said dat is economical with d truth
Re: Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes by ahaika23: 5:33pm On Mar 26, 2017
annunaki2:

Seriously brother, I thought tithe was 10% of our income. To think there is daily, monthly and yearly tithe I wonder then what they are. How then are these calculated. Is it not obvious that going by this pattern the bible is being misconstrued and to have us conveniently remain uneducated to the truth God has required of us?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did Jesus Have Brothers? / Pagan 9ja Here Is The Source Of Your Wood And Stone Gods / How Can The Incarnation Be Reconciled With God’s Immutability?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.