Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,278 members, 7,780,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:15 PM

Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) (29110 Views)

Nok Culture – Ancient Human Race / Jeremiah Akaava Dies At 116 In Kogi (Oldest Monarch In The World) / Ooni Of Ife Visits Oldest African Temple In Brazil Which Used To Be A Church.pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by bollify(m): 5:55pm On Mar 26, 2017
dingbang:
before the colonization .. Isn't it still before d civil war?

Haba.. We are saying the same thing na..

I'm afraid to say you are on different radar entirely. He was right. It was during the invasion and rape of the African soil that we have a civilisation even the white envy.

3 Likes

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by juman(m): 5:55pm On Mar 26, 2017
APC government can never make nigeria a better country.

Its a clueless government.

1 Like

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by AkinPhysicist: 5:56pm On Mar 26, 2017
cheesy cheesy
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by eyinjuege: 5:59pm On Mar 26, 2017
abubaka101:
A lot of persons don't understand this today. But in the past, say 100 years ago, the White Man saw Africans as barbaric people that had made no innovations whatsoever. Discoveries like the Nok cultural artifacts helped to clear their subjective and racist views.
But sadly Africans still don't realise the worth of any of their heritage, neither is the contemporary generation of Africans ready to leave any legacy for the future.
God save the Black man!

I'm always so humbled by our rich heritage in Nigeria. So many wonderful discoveries, and it's unfortunate we're not interested. Wetin concern us with archeological discoveries. Its still the same white man that will bother to help us discover ourselves.
God save us truly....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by Nofuckgiven: 5:59pm On Mar 26, 2017
I loved fine art. Surprisingly, it was only yoruba teachers that dominated the subject! cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by musicwriter(m): 5:59pm On Mar 26, 2017
Archeological finds lie under our feet any place in Africa, because we have been on this planet for millions of years before the emergence of any other race some few thousand years ago. This is the place humanity originated and white people have no idea how old we are.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by nijabazaar: 6:04pm On Mar 26, 2017
its super sad that we are lagging behind in Science and tech upon all d civilizations bequeathed on us
....ordinary Finland is even a pioneer in Quantum cryptography.... ordinary Finland.

2 Likes

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 26, 2017
abubaka101:
A lot of persons don't understand this today. But in the past, say 100 years ago, the White Man saw Africans as barbaric people that had made no innovations whatsoever. Discoveries like the Nok cultural artifacts helped to clear their subjective and racist views.
But sadly Africans still don't realise the worth of any of their heritage, neither is the contemporary generation of Africans ready to leave any legacy for the future.
God save the Black man!
Sculpture follow for innovation? grin grin
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by MisterGrace: 6:10pm On Mar 26, 2017
Mouthgag:
Crap,

We are talking innovation and technology... What place is Nigeria here?

Fûck all haters.

Nobody hates you. Just that you lack class.

3 Likes

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by abubaka101: 6:13pm On Mar 26, 2017
eyinjuege:

I'm always so humbled about our rich heritage in Nigeria. So many wonderful discoveries, andbits unfortunate we're not interested. Wetin concern us with archeological discoveries. Its still the same white man that will bother to help us discover ourselves.
God save us truly....
That's the problem in this part of the world. And because of this ignorance reigns supreme. If you know the number of times I've seen posts talk about certain discoveries and people are like, wow, unbelievable, etc. Meanwhile I'm like, I already knew this thing for years.
If you try to educate them, they'll read through your articles and scream for summaries. Pesin settle down write article about something wey u no knw, u still dey ask 4 Summary like say na their papa pay 4 d article on Fiverr!
The Black man/woman can never make progress if he/she doesn't take his/her time to understand how things truly work. Expecting things to always be easy and short is a sign of laziness. And that's why the Western society always outsmarts us.
For instance, we farm cocoa, own the mines, possess assorted animals and have the arable farm lands. But the prices for cocoa is set at exchanges in Chicago and elsewhere, the largest mining companies are all foreign, the meat we consume in Nigeria are sometimes imported, and the agro-products we consume are largely imported from foreign countries as those countries continue to reach astonishing industrial efficiency that have enough to even send to us as food aids!
The Black man needs to situp, or he won't have a seat to sit!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by NAVYdogg: 6:15pm On Mar 26, 2017
Proud of where I'm from, proud to come from NOK.
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by abubaka101: 6:23pm On Mar 26, 2017
Ontarget:

Sculpture follow for innovation? grin grin
Imagine you developed the IPhone when everybody else was using Nokia 3310. Wouldn't you have been the most innovative person of your time?
The Nok artifacts are not recent. Radiocarbon dating trace their origin to years before Christ was born.
How many iron tools do you own that are older than 50 years that haven't worn out?
But the Nok artifacts have been around for millennia! And it was artistically created to depict something a people considered important!!
If it were European now it would have been more popular than the works of Leonardo Da Vinci which is still less than 800 years old!!!
So read more.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by hmbassey1960(m): 6:48pm On Mar 26, 2017
Ezedon:
this is Benin, the origin of witch craft, no offense plz I'm only saying the truth
should i tell you the truth u the most stupid of mankind cause u do not appreciate ur heritage culture and menh that was nice piece of art

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 26, 2017
abubaka101:

Imagine you developed the IPhone when everybody else was using Nokia 3310. Wouldn't you have been the most innovative person of your time?
The Nok artifacts are not recent. Radiocarbon dating trace their origin to years before Christ was born.
How many iron tools do you own that are older than 50 years that haven't worn out?
But the Nok artifacts have been around for millennia! And it was artistically created to depict something a people considered important!!
If it were European now it would have been more popular than the works of Leonardo Da Vinci which is still less than 800 years old!!!
So read more.
The Romans and Chinese already had more sophisticated tools and artworks by then. So Nok art were simply basic then.
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by neocortex: 7:00pm On Mar 26, 2017
bollify:
I have always maintain that prior to the invasion of the African soil, civilization of the black race was light years above that of the white. But they came, invaded us, raped our common good and threw us into the dark.

Nobody threw the blacks into the dark, it was the standard in those days to invade countries
and places.

In the case of Nigeria, the tribes have been fighting among themselves for years, so it was
easy for the british to colonise them.

Prior to the industrial revolution, cultures of the world can be said to be equal in terms
of development and innovation but after the 18th century, the game changed and western
nations with superior technology were able to dominate those still clinging to the past.

Until we accept responsibility for our present state and stop claiming to be victims, our
development will remain stagnant.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by goingape1: 7:02pm On Mar 26, 2017
Codedrock:

SOURCE: http://www.takemetonaija.com/2017/03/get-to-know-nok-culture-nigerias-oldest.html#more
nok is located in kaduna (kafacha precisely) not Jos.

put that into consideration

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by abubaka101: 7:29pm On Mar 26, 2017
Ontarget:

The Romans and Chinese already had more sophisticated tools and artworks by then. So Nok art were simply basic then.
Have you ever patronised an artist to draw a portrait of you? I doubt it (but could be wrong).
The Romans where nowhere in History during the time the Nok artifacts were being made. We're talking about something that dates as far back as 900 B.C., meanwhile the Romans date back to around 700 B.C., and even at that time they weren't known for much.
The Chinese weren't really doing much in terms of iron working at the time, and even at that, the Nok artifacts are some of the most advanced works of the ancient era. And do keep in mind that they originated during the early years of iron-working. So calling them "basic" simply misses the point...

4 Likes

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by Revolva(m): 7:32pm On Mar 26, 2017
very educative
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by abubaka101: 7:34pm On Mar 26, 2017
goingape1:
nok is located in kaduna (kafacha precisely) not Jos.

put that into consideration
Nok as it is used here does not mean the geographical location known as Nok. It is actually called Nok Cultural Site, and it stretches from Jos to Kaduna. They are grouped together because when excavations were done in some of these areas, the artifacts recovered were all very similar.

3 Likes

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by justicejay(m): 7:36pm On Mar 26, 2017
AkinPhysicist:
1,500 years before the mythical Jesus, these ancient Nigerians were making iron tools. So basically they had perfected the technology of smelting iron ore; removing impurities; and regulating the amount of carbon in the alloy. This is no small feat. I wonder how many metal-work industries we have in this country today - I guess one could say our ancestors were technologically more advanced than we are today. And don't quote me to talk about your iphone, laptop and plasma tv. Don't come and be bragging about Asian/American products. Shame on all of you.
Nice one bro, let's keep telling them that we are not half naked savage before colonization.
We are developing and civilizing in our own pace.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by felaismyhero(m): 7:38pm On Mar 26, 2017
"Who Be Government Teacher? Culture And Tradition.Go China,england,amerika,india,na Them Culture For There Be Teacher"-fela Anikulapo Kuti "Any River That Forgets Its Source Would Surely Dry Up"- African Proverb
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by tonio2wo: 7:45pm On Mar 26, 2017
dingbang:
so what are you implying? Did I mention about the effect of the war?

Ur statement implies that d civil war hampered d culture and am telling u d people of that region did not even know what a bomb sounds like.

1 Like

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by davidif: 7:54pm On Mar 26, 2017
Wow! What an awesome topic. Op, thanks for posting this. Really educative.

2 Likes

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by Adek15(m): 8:48pm On Mar 26, 2017
Rilwan20:
More of this post OP, enough of Gossip about celebrity secret lives and the palaver of pastor Sule. Perhaps,this will rejuvenate the love we have for the nation. I remember I did it in my 100 level under Nigerian people and culture. It's quite educative wish I can like it a million times
you attended Uniport right
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by Rilwan20(m): 8:55pm On Mar 26, 2017
Adek15:
you attended Uniport right
Nope bro, why do you ask?
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by Herrmes: 8:57pm On Mar 26, 2017
abubaka101:
God save the Black man!
What is the worth of their heritage? Bear in mind that this is not an opposing question but a question to expatiate, I want to learn.
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by ylaa(f): 9:00pm On Mar 26, 2017
Oh iyami
Never again will we experience war
In our country.

uote author=dingbang post=54959143]It was all bliss before the civil war[/quote]
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by ElsonMorali: 9:09pm On Mar 26, 2017
Lemme buy this plot first...I Dey come.
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by jeylord20: 10:34pm On Mar 26, 2017
nok terrecuter head is found in kaduna not jos wonder were you got that story 4rm
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by GoodMuyis(m): 10:39pm On Mar 26, 2017
bollify:
I have always maintain that prior to the invasion of the African soil, civilization of the black race was light years above that of the white. But they came, invaded us, raped our common good and threw us into the dark.

Some Atheist will not agreed with you, they suppose Traditional and religion do so
Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by onnenka: 11:49pm On Mar 26, 2017
bollify:
If you were indeed more civilised that them, they wouldn't have been able to colonize you.

1 Like

Re: Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) by Horus(m): 3:13am On Mar 27, 2017

Figurines discovered in Nok in 1929

The figurines were discovered in 1929 when it was accidentally unearthed by tin miners. After several lab tests, the figurines were presumably dated 500 BC by archaeologists. Since, its discovery, people from different parts of the world have flooded the city to see this rare find. Despite this, the tourism potentials of the city are yet to be harnessed even with the establishment of the National Commission for Museums and Monuments.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olu Of Warri Receives T'suut'ina Highest Honor In Canada / Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival / Ondo Monarch, Oba Oloyede Adeyeoba Akinghare II Graduates From Secondary School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.