Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,769 members, 7,798,570 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

My Conversation With A BVN And ATM Scammer - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Conversation With A BVN And ATM Scammer (672 Views)

Kano: Wife Pushes Husband To His Death Over Phone Conversation With 'Girlfriend' / See How I Replied A BVN Fraudster / "Mad" Woman Caught With Numerous Sim Cards And ATM Cards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Conversation With A BVN And ATM Scammer by jetroolowole(m): 11:22am On Mar 27, 2017
As I leave house for work this morning, I decided to check my WhatsApp and saw there is a pending message. When I checked it was from a strange number precisely 08134601535 with a DP of a mature man posing with an expensive car. In the background is a beautiful compound. The first impression is this should be a rich person.

Scammer: Hello Mr.... (He mentioned my full name)
Me: Good Morning Sir
Scammer: How is your day going?
Me: Fine sir how about you?
Scammer: Everything is alright
Me: We bless God

Then he pause for a while and send me another message

Scammer: Mr henry your bank customer care.
Scammer: Dear customer, Due to our BVN system upgrade your ATM CARD has just been BLOCKED to UNBLOCK kindly call our customer care 08038952250

When I saw that, I new it was a scam, so I ignore first. After a while, I decided to flow along.

Me: Which Bank?
Scammer: Access bank. (This is the point he hit the rock, I don't have any account with access bank)
Me: So what should I do?
Scammer: Contact customer care service for immediately attention. (Same number on the WhatsApp)
Scammer:08138952250
Me: Just tell me since we are chatting
Scammer: Are you with your ATM card?
Me: Yes
Scammer: Let me ask you a few question to activate it for you
Scammer: Look the front of the ATM CARD
Scammer: Can you see a number started with 5? Long Number.
Me: Yes
Scammer: Call it
Me: But it;s only the 4 last digit they use when they activate the account for me
Scammer: The system program has changed. call the first 5.

At this point I was already in my office so I decided to go mute on the conversation. But what baffle me is do people still fall for this childish trick?
Re: My Conversation With A BVN And ATM Scammer by Nobody: 11:26am On Mar 27, 2017
You get time.
Re: My Conversation With A BVN And ATM Scammer by Nobody: 11:32am On Mar 27, 2017
.. a lot I mean a lot of educated folks fall for this.. I have heard 2 unbelievable incidents that ended up with money being withdrawn from numerous ATMs between Friday evening and Monday Morning. these were educated, working class people undecided undecided
Re: My Conversation With A BVN And ATM Scammer by jetroolowole(m): 11:49am On Mar 27, 2017
iyke926:
You get time.
Not exactly, I am a blogger and sometimes I blog on crime. I was thinking the guy has a new sophisticated approach and I was disappointed.
Re: My Conversation With A BVN And ATM Scammer by jetroolowole(m): 11:51am On Mar 27, 2017
LaEvilIMiss:
.. a lot I mean a lot of educated folks fall for this.. I have heard 2 unbelievable incidents that ended up with money being withdrawn from numerous ATMs between Friday evening and Monday Morning. these were educated, working class people undecided undecided
Honestly, I will need some convincing to belief that any sane person will give his card details over the phone to a stranger. May be bank should educate their customer more on security issues pertaining to the use of the card.

(1) (Reply)

The Greatest Scam In The World / Photos: Apostle Johnson Suleman Visits Force Headquarters / Thief Badly Beaten After He Was Caught Attempting To Steal A Laptop At A Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.