Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,416 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil (8494 Views)

Substandard Toyota Engine Oil: SON Raises Red Alert / STOP! Using Your Mouth With A Hose To Siphon Fuel From Gallon To Car Tank / Genuine Engine Oil,gear Oil,coolant &brake Fluids For Toyota,nissan Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 1:26pm On Mar 27, 2017
Are you using a 20w50 Engine for your post-2000 vehicle? STOP Immediately...... You are sending your engine to an early grave.

Use the Manufacturer recommended rating.... E.g 5w-20, 5w-30, etc... Don't mind the Road side mechanics who will tell you to use 20w50, that Nigeria is too hot.... Bullshit.... Check out how hot Texas can be...

Check out our Engine Oils that even exceeds Manufacturer Recommendations at

https://www.mrparts.ng/collections/engine-transmission-oil

If ordering from outside Abuja, please call our Hotline to make transport arrangements

1 Like

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:36pm On Mar 27, 2017
ignore this if your engine has been using mineral oil for a long time.

The engine would have built up protective sludge, that would stop it from burning oil.

In the event that you switch to full synthetic oils, the cleaning agents in the oil will breakdown the sludge, and engine might begin to exhibit oil burn and smoking.

If you did not start with synthetic, and you have been following bad gang for over a year, stick with your bad gang.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by calculation(m): 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

The engine would have built up protective sludge, that would stop it from burning oil.

In the event that you switch to full synthetic oils, the cleaning agents in the oil will breakdown the sludge, and engine might begin to exhibit oil burn and smoking.

If you did not start with synthetic, and you have been following bad gang for over a year, stick with your bad gang.

That is why I like your technical comment based on your exposure of naija condition and people. Thumb up for you

2 Likes

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 11:01pm On Mar 27, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Hello Gazzuz, if I may ask a simple question, why are part-synthetic products in the market? If you are not allowed to switch, why have a product that contains both? E.g. Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 ( https://www.mrparts.ng/products/castrol-magnatec-10w-40-5-litres )

Bro, there was a time, years ago, when switching between synthetic oils and mineral oils was not recommended esp if you had used one product or the other for a long period of time. Some operators experienced problems with seal leakage and high oil consumption but changes in additive chemistry and seal material have taken care of those issues.

Like many myths, this one is based in fact. Early synthetics were made of esters, which were harder on seals, especially those made of neoprene. However, synthetic oils have come a long way since the early 1970s, and they're much nicer to delicate seals. But while synthetic oil won't create a leak, it will find one. Its streamlined molecular structure has no mercy for cracked or otherwise marginal seals. The oil and its additives may even clean deposits from the engine, which is good -- unless those deposits are acting like spackle on questionable seals.

Bros, things are evolving...

3 Likes

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 2:31am On Mar 29, 2017
Low on Budget? Get 10% OFF on all Orders. Discount code: NAIRALAND

Kindly visit www.mrparts.ng and enter coupon during checkout

Offer ends 31st March, 2017

1 Like

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 11:23pm On Apr 02, 2017
Castrol EDGE is Castrol’s strongest range of engine oils. Recommended by BMW, Mercedez-Benz, Land-Rover, Ford, etc

We are currently selling Castrol Edge 1-Litre for N3300 instead of market price of N3500. Also enjoy an added 10% off.

Hurry while offer lasts.

https://www.mrparts.ng/products/castrol-edge-professional-5w-20-1-litre
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 6:18pm On Apr 03, 2017
Do you need help with recommended oil for your car?
Kindly drop the Make, Model, Year and Engine Size of your car.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 7:35am On Apr 05, 2017

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 5:11pm On Apr 07, 2017
Good testimonials are pouring in on the quality of our Castrol Motor Oils.
What are you waiting for?

Place your orders sharperly.... https://www.mrparts.ng/collections/castrol-oil
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 12:57am On Apr 11, 2017
Are you using a 20w50 oil in a turbocharged engine? If yes, you are on a long thing.
The amount of compression and heat generated can bake that oil.

STOP immediately and switch to a Synthetic Engine oil.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 6:09pm On Apr 11, 2017
Are you using a 20w50 oil in a turbocharged engine? If yes, you are on a long thing.
The amount of compression and heat generated can bake that oil.

Check out our list of Manufacturer Recommended Oils
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by donchisel: 7:39pm On Apr 11, 2017
@Ebuks4ever I beg to disagree. Oil viscosity and density are built based on environmental condition of each region, and the materials quality in each Engine assembly.

I agree that 20w50 may deposit sludge in engines but it is not correct to say that it kills engine. Oil companies in africa would halt production if they get empirical data that suggests it's harmful to cars.

The synthetic brands are better for newer aluminum engines and/or turbo charged engines. 0w40 followed by 5w30&10w40 is suitable for this region while 5w20 will struggle to perform in high temperate areas.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by buchilino(m): 8:10pm On Apr 11, 2017
ebuks4ever:

I OWN A TOYOTA CAMRY 01 V6 ENGINE. WAT KIND OF OIL WILL U RECOMMEND.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by NnamdiChidi(m): 8:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
buchilino:

5w 20 oil are oil 4 elite as 4litres should be from 12k upward while 20w50 oil,4 litres should be in range of 4k upwards. Hw many pple can afford 5w20.I drive a 2000 model Toyota Camry then I will use 5w20 oil n Walahi maybe my oil switch don weak as old motor concern na I'm oil short.Infact my name na sorry

1 Like

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by buchilino(m): 8:37pm On Apr 11, 2017
NnamdiChidi:
5w 20 oil are oil 4 elite as 4litres should be from 12k upward while 20w50 oil,4 litres should be in range of 4k upwards. Hw many pple can afford 5w20.I drive a 2000 model Toyota Camry then I will use 5w20 oil n Walahi maybe my oil switch don weak as old motor concern na I'm oil short.Infact my name na sorry

WATS UR POINT EXACTLY
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by NnamdiChidi(m): 10:16pm On Apr 11, 2017
buchilino:

WATS UR POINT EXACTLY
Self explanatory my friend or what exactly u no understand
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 11:31pm On Apr 11, 2017
donchisel:
@Ebuks4ever I beg to disagree. Oil viscosity and density are built based on environmental condition of each region, and the materials quality in each Engine assembly.

I agree that 20w50 may deposit sludge in engines but it is not correct to say that it kills engine. Oil companies in africa would halt production if they get empirical data that suggests it's harmful to cars.

The synthetic brands are better for newer aluminum engines and/or turbo charged engines. 0w40 followed by 5w30&10w40 is suitable for this region while 5w20 will struggle to perform in high temperate areas.

Hi, I appreciate your effort in taking time to write on this thread. First off, I started off by indicating post 2000 vehicles. We are carrying out sensitization for people to atleast know why they are using what they are using. If you know better, you will do better. We advise users to use oil recommended by the Manufacturers

Regarding the environmental condition like you say, do you know that places in USA(Texas) gets hotter than Naija?

Like I said earlier, new engines and most especially turbocharged engines should never and I repeat never use 20w50. The mineral 20w50 just cannot hold up with the heat generated with these powerful engines. Synthetic oils can hold up their properties to very high temperatures.

But if you cannot afford the Synthetic oils, you can get the Synthetic blends(mixture of synthetic and mineral) which is about half the price of Fully Synthetic Oils. You can visit the link below to order for one.

https://www.mrparts.ng/products/castrol-magnatec-10w-40-5-litres
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 11:41pm On Apr 11, 2017
buchilino:

Toyota recommends 5w30 for your car however pls confirm the state of your engine. Whats the mileage on your car and does your car emit white smoke?
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by buchilino(m): 8:43am On Apr 12, 2017
ebuks4ever:

Toyota recommends 5w30 for your car however pls confirm the state of your engine. Whats the mileage on your car and does your car emit white smoke?

THANKS 4 UR RESPONSE, IT SOMETIMES EMIT WHITE SMOKE IN D MORNING, D MILEAGE IS 181k. D LAST TIME I SERVICED D ENGINE, I USED AN ENGINE OIL CALLED REXON WHICH IS 5w30. CAN I USE ANY BRAND OR MUST I USE A SPECIFIC BRANDS.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 8:49am On Apr 12, 2017
buchilino:

THANKS 4 UR RESPONSE, IT SOMETIMES EMIT WHITE SMOKE IN D MORNING, D MILEAGE IS 181k. D LAST TIME I SERVICED D ENGINE, I USED AN ENGINE OIL CALLED REXON WHICH IS 5w30. CAN I USE ANY BRAND OR MUST I USE A SPECIFIC BRANDS.

You're welcome. I want to believe that what you see in the morning is steam and not white smoke.
Since you're already using 5w30, you are ok but i don't know how good Rexon is. Do a search online for reviews.
Mobil 1 (America blended) are very good tho.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 10:05am On Apr 13, 2017
Is the Synthetic Brands too expensive for your pockets? We now have in stock 5Litres Keg of Mineral Based Oil and comes with Anti-sludge. Link to see more details https://www.mrparts.ng/products/castrol-gtx-anti-sludge-20w-50

Also in stock is 5Litres 10w40 Synthetic Blend. Part-synthetic motor oil is designed to have some of the benefits of a full synthetic but at a lower cost. For more details.... https://www.mrparts.ng/products/castrol-magnatec-10w-40-5-litres
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 11:48pm On Apr 14, 2017
Did you know that inferior Oil Filters can get clogged and ruin your engine.

Ask for OEM grade filters or visit our store...

https://www.mrparts.ng/collections/engine-oil-filters
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 11:56pm On Apr 14, 2017
1. Is your engine in top shape (does not smoke)?

2. Does your engine oil dry up?

If Yes to 1 & 2 then you need to change oils.

Pls note that Mobil-1 from the filling stations has far less quality to imported American Mobil-1...

We recommend the Premium Castrol Products....

Check out.
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 1:43pm On Apr 21, 2017
Don't Forget the Forgotten Filters

1 Like

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 8:27pm On May 01, 2017
Tips on Gauging your Motor Oil

1 Like

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 4:30pm On May 02, 2017
In stock now
American Imports
Mobil-1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30 5-Lire Keg - N18,000
Mobil-1 High Mileage Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30 5-Lire Keg - N18,000
Mobil-1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30 1-Litre Keg - N4000
Mobil-1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w20 1-Litre keg - N4000
Mobil-1 Advanced Full Synthetic 0w20 1-Litre keg - N4000
South African Imports
Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5w40 API SN 5-Litre Keg N16,500
Castrol Magnatec Synthetic Blend 10w40 API SN 5-Litre - N11,000
Castrol GTX Anti Sludge 20w50 5-Litre - N7000

Visit our online store to place your orders....
Tel: 08100686696 / 08138479798
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 11:13am On Jul 08, 2017
Don't Destroy Your Engine With Bad Motor Oil

Visit us at www.mrparts.ng
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 1:29am On Jul 25, 2017
New arrivals

American Mobil-1 5Litre keg 0w20
American Mobil-1 5Litre keg 5w20
American Mobil-1 5Litre keg 0w30

order now as stocks are limited.

Call us on 08100686696 / 08138479798

Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by kaymaxsoluxions(m): 5:38pm On Jul 25, 2017
ebuks4ever:

Mitsubishi Galant 1999 2.0L
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by ebuks4ever(m): 10:25am On Sep 21, 2017
kaymaxsoluxions:

Mitsubishi Galant 1999 2.0L

The recommended oil by Mistubishi is 5w30.
The 4cylinder and 6cylinder engine requires 4.3Litres of oil
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 29, 2018
Honda Accord 2003. What's the best engine oil to use for this car in Nigeria.

ebuks4ever:
Re: Urgently Stop Using The 20w50 Engine Oil by mykdigital: 12:39am On Mar 21, 2019
I have a Nissan pathfinder 2001 model, 3.5 litres, v6 jeep brought in from new Jersey, pls which engine oil should I use for servicing, and should I also remove the thermostat? Thank you[color=#006600][/color]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Want To Recover A Lost Custom Document, Get It Done " Max 2days" / 2007 Model Hoda Accord Exl Toks Full Option Selling Cheap / Reg 2013 Mercedes Benz C200 (mint Condition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.