Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender (11980 Views)

2020 Land Rover Defender Returns With A Complete Makeover (photos) / This Land Rover Defender SVX Will Take You Through Flood And Mountains (photos) / 9 Amazing Cars From The Mercedes-benz Museum In Stuttgart, Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by AutoReportNG: 5:14pm On Mar 27, 2017
The Land Rover Defender has effectively been in production since 1948. And in the nearly seven decades that it's been roaming the Earth, there are very few places it hasn't been driven. With the production death clock officially ticking on the vehicle that made Land Rover Land Rover, it's as good a time to look back at its amazingness, with these 9 things you didn't know about the Defender.

1. The Defender name has only existed since 1990

[img]https://3.bp..com/-4LmyTuvSmQw/WNk2N61yK4I/AAAAAAAAJIs/hHvEPUvHM3QEXNS5V3vfh_b5LQQEE9bEQCLcB/s640/la.jpg[/img]

While it's correct to say that the Defender has been around since the dust settled from WWII, it wasn't technically named that until the Discovery was produced, and Land Rover dubbed the venerable 4x4 "Defender" to avoid confusion. Prior to that, it was known as the Land Rover Series I, II, and III.

2. The very first prototype had a center-mounted steering wheel

[img]https://1.bp..com/-VuDh8-DLSA0/WNk2U-Kn8bI/AAAAAAAAJIw/etitWXwbIkwqQTyNh3e2Sypz6EbxOaamQCLcB/s640/l2.jpg[/img]

The Land Rover was conceived as an industrial and farm vehicle inspired by the Willys Jeep (and without much of a need for passengers). Still, it beat the Ferrari Tre Posti and McLaren F1 to the middle driver concept by decades.

3. All Defenders are made with aluminum skin, thanks to post-WWII steel supply shortages

[img]https://4.bp..com/-hcCFZwxR5w4/WNk2bpFc8TI/AAAAAAAAJI0/LKRrhqY8AdwSd-SJIADElpkEgxq01XD9ACLcB/s640/l3.jpg[/img]

After WWII, the UK had to ration materials like steel while the country got back up on its feet. As a result, aluminum was actually the cheaper option, so that's what was used. Today, of course, aluminum is preferred in production because of its lightweight properties, and it costs quite a bit more than steel.

4. It's the Queen's vehicle of choice when she's not in a limo

[img]https://1.bp..com/-KCoF64fybo4/WNk2i1V2LoI/AAAAAAAAJI4/Uv8A0Ca_HWc9H_vZEPi78z0LhmwrM5LOwCLcB/s640/l4.jpg[/img]

Apart from Bentley which is queen's official car, the queen has a soft place for Land Rover too

5. Not only does she drive one, she once used one to make a profound political statement

[img]https://4.bp..com/-4Un5Gb0VEAc/WNk29yvQGJI/AAAAAAAAJI8/UPU-gDG_z-4CDIe8s8a4J4uc5ettBOlfQCLcB/s640/l5.jpg[/img]

Women aren't allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia, and when then-Saudi Prince (later King) Abdullah made an official visit to Her Majesty's Scottish estate in Balmoral, she suggested a tour of the property. She promptly hopped in the driver's seat and blasted down trails at speeds fast enough to make Abdullah plead (through his translator, no less) for her to slow down.

6. You could order one as a monster truck

[img]https://1.bp..com/-Y1elyBZmtEo/WNk3FJeujGI/AAAAAAAAJJA/Hs3e4-u0QgECN9xEsfyc4I1nKFFB9sQDgCLcB/s640/l6.jpg[/img]

Technically, this number is called the Forest Rover, and it was built for, well, forestry work... but who cares? It's an old, factory-produced monster truck that's undeniably cooler than the majority of 4x4s on the market today.

7. Or you could just get one with treads

[img]https://4.bp..com/-ndtw2I9Jb4g/WNk3M0-OKuI/AAAAAAAAJJE/nqZRemRay9cx82s_5gJ1d2Wfqt_uQIpuwCLcB/s640/l7.jpg[/img]

The Cuthbertson option you see here was designed help you drive across soggy marshes without getting stuck. Regardless, this is proof that Land Rover made some of the coolest and most serious vehicles you could buy in the 1960s.

8. The early station wagon models were built by the same company that did Rolls-Royce's bodies

[img]https://2.bp..com/-xJwlwMe2CPw/WNk3WQUB-xI/AAAAAAAAJJI/31rgbVdtM5AWJaCIAa6ykAAhw80zzjGqwCLcB/s640/l8.jpg[/img]

Not everyone wanted a harsh, utilitarian 4x4, so Land Rover turned to Tickford, a coachbuilder known for its work with Rolls-Royce (among others). Tickford built new passenger compartments out of wood, and added niceties like leather seats and a heater.

9. After the Tickford, the 12-seat, 109-inch "Station Wagon" was actually a brilliant tax dodge Under British law, the largest of the Series/Defenders technically counted as a minibus.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-KdsUwIMyDJI/WNk3hdKjvJI/AAAAAAAAJJM/QOwmC6g3jIQML9d2CEBYONf7D-pPslw1gCLcB/s640/l9.jpg[/img]

This meant you didn't have to pay taxes when you bought it, and you could even use bus lanes to navigate London's notorious traffic.

Source:

http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/9-amazing-facts-about-land-rover.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by AutoReportNG: 5:15pm On Mar 27, 2017
Land Rover... The name with a class...

See more here

http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/9-amazing-facts-about-land-rover.html
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by SFSNIPER(m): 5:20pm On Mar 27, 2017
My fathers favorite after Peugeot.

3 Likes

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by nadalion: 6:11pm On Mar 27, 2017
And I have reasons to believe the Land Rover Defender was made for men
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 27, 2017
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5066648_l3_jpeg_jpeg13b489496471596596ef17f1c5882ac0
I like this one _wouldn't mind owning one. Preferable ground clearance unlike that Wrangler mini-me jeep.
Women aren't allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia, and when then-Saudi Prince (later King) Abdullah made an official visit to Her Majesty's Scottish estate in Balmoral, she suggested a tour of the property. She promptly hopped in the driver's seat and blasted down trails at speeds fast enough to make Abdullah plead (through his translator, no less) for her to slow down

Strong-no time woman,she gave the sexist d*** a 'ride' of lifegrin. Some people won't like this. Quote me with insults and see how amma come down hard on you like a guillotine.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Whizpeter(m): 8:26pm On Mar 27, 2017
Official Car of the Queen... BENTLEY [British]
Second Official car... Land Rover [British]

Official car of POTUS... The beast (Cadillac) [American]

Plot twist...

Official car of a West African president... Mercedes-Benz [German]
Official car of his vice president... Mercedes-Benz [German]
The Senate president smuggled a range rover... [British]
The governor of the most populous state in the country drives a Range Rover [British]

Yet there's an indigenous car maker in the country ooo...

Rubbish!!

22 Likes

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 11:44pm On Mar 27, 2017
PaperLace:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5066648_l3_jpeg_jpeg13b489496471596596ef17f1c5882ac0
I like this one _wouldn't mind owning one. Preferable ground clearance unlike that Wrangler mini-me jeep.

Strong-no time woman,she gave the sexist d*** a 'ride' of lifegrin. Some people won't like this. Quote me with insults and see how amma come down hard on you like a guillotine.

You dey vex shocked
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 12:13am On Mar 28, 2017
CFCman:

You dey vex shocked
I dey vex o...some guys done too find trouble _ the next one to cross my path with insults, amma knock him out like i'm Ali.
Give me my respect or get damaged. grin

2 Likes

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 12:18am On Mar 28, 2017
PaperLace:

I dey vex o...some guys done too find trouble _ the next one to cross my path with insults, amma knock him out like i'm Ali.
Give me my respect or get damaged. grin
Floyd Mayweather nko?

1 Like

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 12:20am On Mar 28, 2017
CFCman:

Floyd Mayweather nko?
I ain't Floyd.
I'm a legend.
I'm Ali... hahahahaha

1 Like

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by sakalisis(m): 7:11am On Mar 28, 2017
cool
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by ElectronicsGuy(m): 7:11am On Mar 28, 2017
B
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 7:12am On Mar 28, 2017
cheesy

1 Like

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by RichDad1(m): 7:12am On Mar 28, 2017
Land Rover
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by RichDad1(m): 7:15am On Mar 28, 2017
Whizpeter:

Plot twist...

The governor of the most populous state in the country drives a Range Rover [British]

Rubbish!!
Who wan die ?
You believe any of our politicians can risk their lives by using a Nigerian made vehicle ? cheesy
Maybe a first timer councillor.

Life is too sweet abeg. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Einl(m): 7:15am On Mar 28, 2017
Copy.
And paste.
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by MrTypist: 7:15am On Mar 28, 2017
Rugged!
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by godunia(m): 7:23am On Mar 28, 2017
No pishure, biko what's land Rover
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by maxiuc(m): 7:23am On Mar 28, 2017
My father got this car as a gift from his inlaws immediately after buying his 504 car in 1975.

Though I didn't get to see my father nd his wealth before I could come into the world my brothers nd sisters had finished everything

Lastborn no good sha

1 Like

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 7:26am On Mar 28, 2017
Iv been looking for one of those red ones like mad. PLEASE anyone who has a clean one should send pictures to my whatsapp on 08036892360.
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by icedfire(m): 7:28am On Mar 28, 2017
Whizpeter:

Plot twist...

Rubbish!!
And the governors,senators and house of rep members of the region where the indigenous car producer hails from uses?

Direct your anger to the right source. When the governors and senators from that region start driving the indigenous car, other state governors may be persuaded

5 Likes

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by YesNo(m): 7:40am On Mar 28, 2017
Name Known with traditional high standards for quality.
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 7:43am On Mar 28, 2017
Very soon dem go use wheel barrow do motor for us
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Mojibola(m): 7:48am On Mar 28, 2017
Facts? Yes

Amazing? undecided undecided
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by uboma(m): 7:59am On Mar 28, 2017
EgunMogaji needs to grace this thread.

1 Like

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Abudu2000(m): 8:38am On Mar 28, 2017
Walahi i feel a young guy using a Toyota or Honda is too wack, these kind stylish rides dey turn girls on like mad, I'm gonna get me one of these
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 8:39am On Mar 28, 2017
Paperlace just be dropping bars anyhow kiss
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by engrchykae(m): 8:54am On Mar 28, 2017
RichDad1:

Who wan die ?
You believe any of our politicians can risk their lives by using a Nigerian made vehicle ? cheesy

last i checked the late minister james ocholi died in a toyota jeep made by the japanese and not in an ivm car.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by Whizpeter(m): 9:00am On Mar 28, 2017
RichDad1:

Who wan die ?

Lol... They would all die someday sha...
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by tunchi014(m): 9:21am On Mar 28, 2017
King Of D Off Road.
Re: 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender by itasakpa: 9:34am On Mar 28, 2017
innoson can build a presidential vehicle perfectly.

abi na for heaven them builg landrover and the likes?

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses / How Much Are Gas Prices In Nigeria? / Top 10 Things That Ruin Your Car Paint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.