Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,899 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:38 AM

Position Of Brake Calipers - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Position Of Brake Calipers (711 Views)

Effects Of Brake Fluid On Car Paint And How To Extract It / 4 Common Causes Of Brake Pedal Vibration And How To Fix It! / Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Position Of Brake Calipers by snipesdam(m): 6:43pm On Mar 27, 2017
Guys I think am not the only one whom would have thought of this. For those whom haven't, am yet to fully understand why car manufactures choose to Position the Brake calipers at different angles of the Rotors. Usually I see calipers positioned at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock which i think seems normal. However if you carefully look @ some vehicles, you would find strange angles where manufactures has chosen to position the brake calipers some of which positions are 8:30 , 2 o'clock,12 o'clock, 10:30....

I believe they have reasons to this... @Gazzuzz and Other Profeesionals step in and explain.

Re: Position Of Brake Calipers by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:38pm On Mar 27, 2017
There are five factors: 1) packing around the desired suspension geometry 2) packaging for enough cooling flow 3) being able to easily bleed the brakes 4) centre of gravity (6 o clock is best) 5) inertia (towards the rear at the front, front on the rear). For a racing car, the position is largely dictated by a compromise of 1) and 2), with some consideration for 3), 4) resolved by not placing it at the top, and 5) largely ignored. For a road car, 2) is much less of an issue, so it is a matter of arriving at the cheapest upright/hub design whilst working around the suspension.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1339721

Re: Position Of Brake Calipers by Nobody: 7:57pm On Mar 27, 2017
Yep u right about dat. U see when positioning brake calipers, the main angle to use is one which allows the air flow around the front of d car to cool the brake cus braking system get very hot on usage.
The 2nd factor is lowering your center of Mass. For better performance just like the former factor. So now depending on the purpose of the car and what gains manufacturer wants to earn, they can position the calipers @ strategic Angles.

Generally speaking an angle that helps the brakes cool easily and dissipate heat easily is the best.

Also brakes can be positioned @ certain angles for aesthetic. But not always

(1) (Reply)

About Larrixautocare / I Need Driving School Within Maryland / Working Perfect Toyota Corolla 2004/06 Urgently Needed For Hire Purchase Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.