Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts (14834 Views)

How To Follow-Up On Job Applications / I Give Up On Job Hunt. I Received Two Regret Mails Same Day / Vacancy With Ali Baba Explains Why Companies Prefer Experienced Hands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by ernesterioo(f): 3:57pm On Mar 28, 2017
I am sure most of you, if not all, would like to know why companies don't post their names for job adverts... Let me share something that will be very interesting and educative. Am sure most of your questions will be answered
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by ernesterioo(f): 3:58pm On Mar 28, 2017
** Why Do Companies Choose to Remain Anonymous in Job Advertisements?**

The reasons why some company's identities are hidden in job adverts is no secret. It is often to aid objectivity and confidentiality in the recruitment process. Let me give examples of how it aids objectivity. Certain brands when revealed will over attract candidates including the wrong candidates creating a waste of recruitment resources. e.g. Everyone wants to work for an MTN. Once everyone knows MTN are recruiting, MTN starts receiving unnecessary attention from all quarters. Unsolicited applicants can go as far as harrasing MTN staff. MTN may just not want to deal with this so they hire a recruiter or an agency who keeps their identity anonymous. On the opposite side, we have some companies that have a poor or just ok brand image that If they reveal their brand they will not attract the type of candidates they want e.g. If you want to work for a Multinational and you see a job advertised for Okeke and Sons, you will run as fast as your legs can carry you. Meanwhile Okeke and Sons may just have gotten international funding from a USA grant. Thus, Okeke and Sons chooses to remain anonymous so that there will be no bias and good candidates will give them a chance. Similar example is when the candidates a company wants to attract already work with the best in their industry, if you approach such candidates revealing the company name, the candidate may refuse to go through the recruitment process citing e.g. 'I already work for Chevron why should I bother interviewing with Oando'. Meanwhile Oando really wants Chevron/Mobil candidates for a new project.

Let me give another personal example; I was recruiting for a role once for a 'not so great brand' let us call them XYZ company. I called a candidate to discuss the role and withheld the company name as confidential. The candidate was very enthusiastic about the role infact excited then said 'I hope the company is not XYZ Company because if it is, I am not interested. Well, truth be told I simply maintained the clients anonymity and arranged the interview. The candidate went for the interview, the client got the opportunity to address all the candidate's concerns and improve their brand image to the candidate. The company made the candidate an offer. The offer was accepted, everyone was happy. Now had the client not been anonymous, the recruitment process will have not been able to attract the best candidate.

In terms of confidentiality, a number of roles are confidential because there may be someone still occupying the advertised role. The employer will want to remain anonymous because they will not want the incumbent or any of its employees to know about the recruitment. I am sure none of us will like to see our jobs being advertised.

Of course a lot of companies advertise jobs with their names in public view. In my experience it is done to promote the brand via publicity or to show that the role was made open to all. Government and some companies have it as policy to advertise in newspapers. I can however tell you from my own experience that the companies are often prepared for the consequences of advertising publicly with their identities revealed. I personally do not recommend it as given the nature of unemployment here it just creates extra work and stress for all parties.

These are just a few examples. They are more good reasons why companies want to remain anonymous. I hope this helps some people understand why employers identities are protected in recruitment.
In as much as that's what it is... Some dubious sets of individuals/groups will still use it as a means to defraud well meaning and innocent Nigerians. *So be extremely cautious* Thanks and God bless you all

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by titus3: 4:35pm On Mar 28, 2017
Gbam! very well written piece. informative

14 Likes

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by ernesterioo(f): 5:58pm On Mar 28, 2017
Lalasticlala will not come and read now
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by eezeribe(m): 10:16pm On Apr 11, 2017
Is this an opinion or a fact....
Is this subjective or objective.....
Is this logical or illogical...
Is this biased or unbiased...
Is the Op writing from the left quadrant or the right quadrant..
This topic made front page without a single comment,is it right or wrong.

Read the post very well,you would find the answers to the above.

6 Likes

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by babyfaceafrica: 10:16pm On Apr 11, 2017
Story
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by smartty68(m): 10:16pm On Apr 11, 2017
Weh done

1 Like

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by Collins0609(m): 10:19pm On Apr 11, 2017
Mtcheew,who dia name help

1 Like

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by Olusharp(m): 10:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
...check my signature
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by horlayorday(m): 10:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
Well written piece! Enlightening

3 Likes

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by Agbanasm: 10:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
Good analysis

1 Like

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by ffo(m): 10:27pm On Apr 11, 2017
truth be told, up till now, i don't know how my present place of work got my CV or how and when I applied. this is my 8th month.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by sanmisamuel: 10:30pm On Apr 11, 2017
Now you can renew your vehicle papers online with reg-express nigeria.
you simply click on the link http://regexpress.com.ng/shop/ and pick whatever paper you would like to renew, be it vehicle license, road worthiness, or a third party insurance.

all papers are delivered within 24hrs of confirmation.

For more enquiries call 07031650038 or visit http://regexpress.com.ng/
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by bejeria101(m): 10:31pm On Apr 11, 2017
ernesterioo:
Lalasticlala will not come and read now

Snake pepper soup tinz lol
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by deepwater(f): 10:32pm On Apr 11, 2017
Sometimes it's just simply based on logistics!
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by heskeyw(m): 10:34pm On Apr 11, 2017
ffo:
truth be told, up till now, i don't know how my present place of work got my CV or how and when I applied. this is my 8th month.
As long as the company dey pay, forget the source

3 Likes

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by chloride6: 10:35pm On Apr 11, 2017
you are 100% correct..

For instance, TOTAL advertises but under some pseudonyms.....

Once i see this companies i know straight

1 Like

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by Talk2Bella(f): 10:37pm On Apr 11, 2017
very nice piece, I like
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by Zetra(m): 10:46pm On Apr 11, 2017
@OP I got your point but if XYZ company can't bear the heat/stress in conducting recruitment with their name then It should be outsourced.
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by lonelydora: 10:50pm On Apr 11, 2017
Nice piece

I almost missed the application of the job I'm doing now because I was busy trying to know the name of the company. I advice all job seekers to send application on any advert you see. You can never tell the one God will use and answer your call.

6 Likes

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by BE811APP: 11:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
Only in 9ja?
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by nenergy(m): 11:41pm On Apr 11, 2017
Beautiful! Permission to cite in blog post?
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by aooo(m): 11:46pm On Apr 11, 2017
Ha!!but isn't that deception!!
E no fair oo

By the way

A young boy asks his Dad, "What is the difference between confident and confidential?"
The dad says, "You are my son, I'm confident about that. But see your friend over there? He is also my son. That's confidential."

4 Likes

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by Rick9(m): 11:51pm On Apr 11, 2017
Eh
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by Nozzydiamond(m): 12:27am On Apr 12, 2017
Want to design a site or blog?
Then we are the best bet for you.
Contact us
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by jfleece(m): 12:45am On Apr 12, 2017
deepwater:
Sometimes it's just simply based on logistics!
efe never still clear for ur eye, ya own just still dey ur body

2 Likes

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by ITbomb(m): 1:07am On Apr 12, 2017
Na you ask question
Na you answer

Let me come and be going
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by Ade3000yrs(m): 4:20am On Apr 12, 2017
lets talk farming things pls
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by victor247: 4:55am On Apr 12, 2017
Very insightful but people should be careful of fraudsters who lure unsuspecting people in the guise of confidential recruitment processes.

1 Like

Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by ibkonekt(m): 5:48am On Apr 12, 2017
Very nice
Re: Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts by Nobody: 6:10am On Apr 12, 2017
Zetra:
@OP I got your point but if XYZ company can't bear the heat/stress in conducting recruitment with their name then It should be outsourced.

Simple

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Police 2016 Recruitment Exercise And Training Date Is Out / How To Fix All Npower Physical Verification Venue Issues / How To Apply For Nationwide Recruitment At Reactor Beverages Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.