Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? (2312 Views)

Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? / Why Is America So Blessed? / Governor Jang Is Ripe For International Criminal Court - Saharareporters.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Macteejay2(m): 5:30pm On Jan 22, 2007
As the saying goes "If America sneezes every other Country catches cold" . Recently
Hillary Clinton has finally announced that she is considering running for president in 2008 - a declaration anticipated for the past six years that puts a heavyweight contender into the race.
Another contender for the most powerful position in the world is Senator Barack Obama.
Barack Obama's mother was from Kansas and his father was from Kenya - leading observers to suggest he is an African and an American, but not an African-American.
The real issue is who can lead a country fighting on two fronts, protect our economy and borders and still manage to keep a few friends?
Whats you opinion? Is America ripe for a female or a Black President?
MacTeejay
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Horus(m): 11:28am On Jan 04, 2008
Victorious Obama vows to bring change to America

DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Democratic Sen. Barack Obama promised on Thursday to bring change to America if he wins his historic bid to be the first black US. president.

[img]http://www.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20080104&t=2&i=2659276&w=192&r=2008-01-04T044416Z_01_N03271570_RTRUKOP_0_PICTURE0[/img]

"They said this day would never come," the Illinois senator, surrounded by cheering supporters, declared after winning the Iowa Democratic caucus and defeating Sen. Hillary Clinton, the long-time national front-runner.

[img]http://www.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20080104&t=2&i=2659274&w=192&r=2008-01-04T044416Z_01_N03271570_RTRUKOP_0_PICTURE1[/img]

"They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come together," Obama said. "But on this January night at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do."

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN0327157020080104
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by babasin(m): 11:33am On Jan 04, 2008
after 500yrs of 'their democrazy'; this is rather too late.

Pakistan with its HARD-CORE muslim has produced TWICE a female HEAD of Government.
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Jakumo(m): 1:54pm On Jan 04, 2008
Horus:

"They said this day would never come," the Illinois senator, surrounded by cheering supporters, declared after winning the Iowa Democratic caucus and defeating Sen. Hillary Clinton, the long-time national front-runner.

"They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come together," Obama said. "But on this January night at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do."

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN0327157020080104

I get goose-bumps when I read the above words being spoken by a black American man in a country where a whole generation still bear living memory of the days when some Americans were barred from even voting at all, simply because they were Americans of African ancestry.

Even if Obama does not get elected to be America's next president, a major milestone in US history has been reached with his getting to within the closest proximity ever attained by a black man to becoming The Most Powerful Man on Earth.

The impossible is no longer necessarily so for the black man in America, thanks to the articulate son of a Kenyan immigrant called Obama, who dared to dream, and then reached for it.
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by ndubest(m): 2:13pm On Jan 04, 2008
I have a dream,

i have a dream,

obama,
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by toshmann(m): 2:26pm On Jan 04, 2008
Jakumo:

Even if Obama does not get elected to be America's next president, a major milestone in US history has been reached with his getting to within the closest proximity ever attained by a black man to becoming The Most Powerful Man on Earth.

The impossible is no longer necessarily so for the black man in America, thanks to the articulate son of a Kenyan immigrant called Obama, who dared to dream, and then reached for it.

this, for me, is the message of obama. he wont get there, but he has showed the black world that we have the right to dream big, and the capability to pursue our dreams. . . . as part of those famous words in the american constitution . . . . . that we hold these truths to be self evident, that all men were created egual . . . . . . .inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Blatant: 2:44pm On Jan 04, 2008
toshmann:

this, for me, is the message of obama. he wont get there, but he has showed the black world that we have the right to dream big, and the capability to pursue our dreams. . . . as part of those famous words in the american constitution . . . . . that we hold these truths to be self evident, that all men were created egual . . . . . . .inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness

Escuse me,

Is Obama a black man?
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Kobojunkie: 3:20pm On Jan 04, 2008
toshmann:

You really think what the "BLACK WORLD" needs is an obama to get the message that the gate has always been open for them to step right on up and get what they want?? LMAO!!!! I am sure the same was said when Oprah made her first billion, Many of them do not even consider him black, what makes you think what he has done will help?? I bet you there are many already telling their kids he is not really of black that is why he was able to get this close. Can we please stop making this about the man's skin color but about what he has to offer?? I don't understand how people can continue to call for no racism but then turn around and speak in terms of skin color as if it matters a great deal.

Please vote cause you actually support his campaign and not cause of the tone of his skin!
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by ndubest(m): 3:40pm On Jan 04, 2008
I have a dream,

i have a dream,

obama,
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:40pm On Jan 04, 2008
Simple answer: YES
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by dtwsola(m): 6:29pm On Jan 04, 2008
The truly amazing thing is that Obama carried a state that has only a 2% black population. It's great to see that many American people can see a candidate for his ideals and look past his race. It also helps that people are fed up with presidential dynasties, and want something entirely new. Cannot wait till we kick the current idiot out of office. The turnout was simply astounding which for democrats, and the democrats can also take commfort in knowing that people will not elect a religious nut like Huckabee into office.

Obama Edwards 08 is invincible
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Horus(m): 8:41pm On Jan 04, 2008
Is America ready to elect a black president?

Barack Obama has taken a major step towards becoming America's first black president by winning the Iowa Democratic caucus, leaving Hillary Clinton, for months the presumed front runner, languishing in third place.

Barack Obama achieved a stunning victory in Iowa

The Illinois senator secured a convincing 37 per cent of the vote with John Edwards, a former North Carolina senator, in second with 30 per cent and Mrs Clinton finishing an ignominious third.
The clear win will give Mr Obama powerful momentum going into Tuesday’s New Hampshire primary, the next stage in the run-up to deciding which Republican and Democratic candidates will battle it out for the presidency.
Do you believe America is ready to elect a black president? Is Mr Obama’s race irrelevant to the campaign or will it still influence voters? Is he likely to lose or gain support in any of America’s states because of the colour of his skin?
If he does win the presidency, what will it say about modern America and what sort of president will he be?

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/04/view04.xml
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Horus(m): 4:13pm On Jan 06, 2008
Obama-mania in New Hampshire as new poll shocks Clinton camp

New Hampshire 06 January 2008

Senator Barack Obama has been catapaulted by his Iowa victory into a sensational lead over Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire, just three days before the state's primary on Tuesday. The national pollster, Rasmussen Reports, which had Mr Obama trailing Mrs Clinton by three points just a few weeks ago, now gives him a lead of 10 per cent. The Republican poll has Senator John McCain improving his position against Mitt Romney and now holding a five-point lead.A foretaste of the way the wind is blowing here for the Clinton camp came on Friday night. Just over 3,000 activists of the New Hampshire Democratic Party gathered in an indoor sports hall in the city of Milford to listen to their candidates for the presidential nomination. Not the sort of folk to rush the stage or indulge in boos.

For months, Mrs Clinton has led polls here and has seemed unassailable. Yet, anyone attending the party's "100 Club" dinner here will surely know she faces a possible mincing on Tuesday thanks to one man."All Fired Up! Ready to Go!" Barack Obama, the victor among Democrats in Iowa, was the last scheduled speaker, and this was the chant that erupted even before he reached the stage. A security announcement followed: please take your seats! As if. And when the Senator from Illinois finally did step to the microphone, he struggled to make himself heard, such was the explosion of enthusiasm.This was not some campus affair attended by mad-for-Barack students. (And they are legion.) We are talking about middle-aged white folks and the elite of the state's Democrat Party waving their signs and yelling a decidedly non-Anglo-Saxon name. O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA! And this in New Hampshire, the last state to honour Martin Luther King Day in January as an official holiday.Mrs Clinton did have her fans in the Astro-turfed hall. But if this event was a straw poll by voice, she will crash here on Tuesday, as she did with her third place in Iowa, and the dream, shared with husband Bill, of becoming the first woman in the White House will all but dissolve. She looked tired and when, twice, her remarks drew groans and even a few boos, you knew she heard them.For her and probably also for Governor Romney, Tuesday may thus be make-or-break time. Iowa has had its say and the impact has been huge. This will be the first fully fledged primary election, kicking off the state-by-state primaries battle for the party nominations, and New Hampshire has a strong record of picking candidates who go on to be nominees and presidents.All the runners were again fanning out yesterday, straining to recover ground lost in Iowa or vying, in the cases of Mike Huckabee and Senator Obama, to maintain momentum. In different ways, most of them were peddling a single theme: their ability to bring change to Washington.For Mr Romney, it is an avenue for attacking Mr McCain, whose campaign, shrivelled just months ago, has shown new signs of resurgence. But the Arizona war hero is 71 years old and a long-time fixture on Capitol Hill. "The American people recognise we are not going to change Washington by sending back the same old faces and having them just change chairs," Mr Romney said at a rally here yesterday.The pressure on him is huge. He spent wildly in Iowa and still only came second. He has a house in New Hampshire and was Governor of Massachusetts right next door. The good news is that Mr Huckabee is not so well placed here because, while Iowa is home to very large numbers of Christian conservatives who flocked to him, here they represent just 3 per cent of voters. It is Senator McCain he must beat.Meanwhile, back at the "100 Club" dinner, the reception for Mr Obama took some of Clinton's supporters by surprise. Ellen Fineberg, 56, of Portsmouth, likes his oratory but insists that Hillary's message is more substantive if less soaring. "It is less sexy to speak realistically about what will work, what her experience tells her will work," she said. "I have seen Obama four times now and each time I leave thinking I should support this guy. But somehow I just don't."The senator has not closed the deal with her, but it seems that on a decibel count she  and Hillary – may be slipping into a minority among New Hampshire Democrats.

Source: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article3312828.ece
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Don1DeMaco: 4:30pm On Jan 06, 2008
O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA,one more time O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA
not cos he's black but cos he's the best amongst the candidates both democrats and republicans
go O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA.

though i think he might not win, not cos he isnt good enough but i sense the repeat of 2000 when bush rigged the election
people brace urself 4 another INEC in the US of A, i hope all americans would resist fraud this time around and allow the best man 4 the job win.

O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by sagitarius(m): 6:27pm On Jan 06, 2008
Sen. Obama has just started on a very good note, I think if everythin is done fairly,he'l definitely win, however, i seriously doubt that he will considerin d fact dat he's black. I admire his courage, he reminds me of Dr. Martin Luther king who had a dream.
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by mazaje(m): 6:41pm On Jan 06, 2008
The Audacity of hope,Hope in things unseen, hope in things that brings people together to get things done, hope for the betterment of a Nation, hope for peace security and progress,Hope for equality and justice, hope for a Nation healed,Hope that we can believe in,Hope that works,Hope that moves a Nation forward, Hope to dream again and acheive great things in life , the Audacity of hope, The great man Barack Obama
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Horus(m): 12:06pm On Jan 07, 2008
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by nigeriaone: 12:31pm On Jan 07, 2008
I would not be shock if Obama become the president, His colour of skin should not matter , but the content of his heart. The republic refuse to thrown into the race young people. that is why they may loss, old idea , do not change new society.
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Nobody: 4:08am On Dec 18, 2013
Re: Is America Ripe For A Female Or A Black President? by Bifrost: 4:04am On Dec 29, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Global Database Of Nigerian Diaspora - Stop Fooling Yourselves / Before Amalgamation: Were The Tiv Under Southern Or Northern Protectorate? / SSS Detention Almost Broke My Spirits - Dokpesi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.