Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Rehearsing Ethnics - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Rehearsing Ethnics (487 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rehearsing Ethnics by Oluwatosin98(m): 12:26pm On Mar 29, 2017
REHEARSING WRONGLY
Do you know its possible to be rehearsing but be doing it all wrong? What if you've been having wrong rehearsals for the past 5 years? And that's why you've been rehearsing but you're not getting as good as you should be.

Do you know rehearsing wrongly does same damage as not rehearsing at all?
Let me explain. Many singers in a bid to get better at singing go and look for all Songs from fantastic vocalists like J. Moss, Fantasia Barino, Karen Clark-Sheard, Jonathan McReynolds and they start scoring all the slurs and riffs and all that. Do you however know that shouldn't be where you should start from as a singer. If you don't understand the basics of breath control all those heavy techniques from pro singers may just make you feel like you're doing something when in fact you're not getting better. If you don't have well trained ears to recognize key and switches why go for higher learning? Take it step by step. Don't be in a hurry. Simple white rice with salt you can't cook. Now you want to make Jollof Rice with "orisirisi". Ha don't o. Remember how for that white rice you actually cooked salt and added rice... Do you get my analogy??

You're a drummer and once you get on the drums you just start rolling up and down and making noise. Simple groove you can't keep consistent. After 90 seconds you can't follow a simple loop to the right metronome, sir.. Leave Calvin Rogers alone. That's not the rehearsal you need now. Work on your timing. Understand how to play each genre differently and how to not go off beat before you move higher. All great drummers started from the basics.

Many singers need to focus more on their timing, attacking songs well and staying on key. Instead of rehearsing those basics they want to sound like Yinka Davies. You can't do University if you haven't done Primary school. Ordinary arithmetic is hard for you, how will you pass Calculus?

Take it step by step. Keyboardist, leave Snarky Puppy alone. Work on playing well on all keys first, at least the major chords, work on scoring, rehearse how to follow singers without doing too much. I am amazed when I see keyboardist who can't hold a simple chord pattern down for a song. They just start running scales and soloing..

Some choirs should be rehearsing how to sing with the right charisma not all these modulations. Leave modulations for later. Your singers can't even pick keys yet.

REHEARSAL MUST ADD SOMETHING NEW TO YOU.
Any rehearsal you have in your choir or as an individual that doesn't add anything new to you, that you didn't learn new things, that you didn't leave there stretched was simply a waste of time. You can't be better except you're stretched out of your comfort zone.

Confirm from my Choir members- You can't leave a rehearsal I'm handling without leaning at least 10-25 new things. That's overload right? Its better. I do it deliberately. You will leave with your voice stretched, your body stretched and your mind stretched. Guess what, when you're stretched you don't come back to the same state. You get better.

Rehearsals are not activities you do to prepare for performance. They are activities you do to develop your skill. If you're in a choir, by the time you're leaving your choir rehearsal, you must have learnt new things. Not just learnt new songs but learnt new things. Music Directors please do your job in this regard. There must be something you didn't know about singing, harmonies adlibbing, arranging etc before that you now know.

REHEARSALS REQUIRE PATIENCE
Don't be in a hurry. There are things you will be rehearsing in your team and it may take weeks or months for people to get. Just keep repeating the exercises every week. Be patient with your people as they learn. No one becomes good in a day. You may try to hit those notes today and its taking weeks, don't stop keep at it. Charisma, stage presence, sing interpretation.. It's with time. Be patient. You're trying to increase your speed on the piano, keep at it. You want to have stronger strokes on the drums, don't atop. Be patient. These things happen over time and consistency.
Re: Rehearsing Ethnics by oviexcels(m): 12:47pm On Mar 30, 2017
this is so good thanks

(1) (Reply)

Entrepreneurship Challange - Fun And Educational / How Linda Ikeji 'destroyed' My Career - NB Weekly 11 / The Career Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.