Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,821 members, 7,798,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System (12123 Views)

Where Can I Get Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner / Meet Bisi Ezerioha, Builder Of The Fastest Carburetor Front-Wheel Car On Earth / A Useful Way To Tell Which Side Of Your Car The Fuel Cap Is Located (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System by LAFO: 7:50am On Mar 31, 2017
LAFO:
Make I take seat.

Make I learn
Re: How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System by igahdavid(m): 7:51am On Mar 31, 2017
Good old days. Still remember the 505 Evolution Double Carburetor
Re: How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System by nurey(m): 8:34am On Mar 31, 2017
begwong:

And what's wrong with the carburetor in 2017 martian!

1. When last was carburetor fitted in a car?
2. What is the ratio of carburetor fitted engine to injector fitted engines

If you can answer these questions then you know why I put 2017
Re: How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System by nurey(m): 8:36am On Mar 31, 2017
LanceO:

Now there is W16.. .

The VV12 is fitted in a car I had an affair with and she left so no other engine matters to me grin
Re: How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System by airminem(f): 9:06am On Mar 31, 2017
What Is NOS to a carburetor. just asking
Re: How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System by airminem(f): 9:08am On Mar 31, 2017
igahdavid:
Good old days. Still remember the 505 Evolution Double Carburetor

Yes, I Use To Hear My Grand Day Saying To The Engineer Sometin About A Fault In The Double Carb. You Must Be Old As He Is. Hehe
Re: How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System by lindahad: 11:08am On Mar 31, 2017
check this edlebrocck carburetor:
http://www.instaphotos.co/media.id?=1482136784455595733-207616986/by_cycle_illness

this looking amazing, what you think?
Re: How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System by Emassive(m): 9:52pm On Mar 31, 2017
Oga Joe on point all the time
Re: How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System by 19naia(m): 7:57am On Apr 01, 2017
The engine itself is the source of the vacuum. The carburetor flow is not powerful enough to sustain its own vacuum cycle and ars with carbureted engines still had fuel pump involved. Fuel injectors of course require powerful fuel pumps to work.
The engine works exactly like a pump but uses combustion to drive the pump pistons and the combustion is internal upon the pistons rather than External. External combustion engine would work if the internals were required to pump something else through it while internal combustion engine is simply pumping to create a cycle which is then tapped for its powerful cyclical forces of the crank shaft.
External combustion engine that has internal pump actions tied to it, are very inefficient. Any external combustion engine is inefficient and dirty but very simple to make and maintain. Best to have internal combustion so as to contain the power and direct it as needed and then have that engine drive pumps required to pump water or other liquids around. Or drive electricity generators.

Engine as a pump, when one cylinder faces combustion for an upstroke, another offset cylinder is pushed without its own combustion. Compression happens on one side and vaccum happens on the other in the non combusting cylinder. A very powerful vaccum in an idle cylinder as a counter force to the combustion in an active cylinder. That pump action is what draws air and fuel in with lots of suction power.
Put your hand over the air intake of a running engine and feel the dangerous suction power it has. Best not even to try with your hand nor try at all.
I removed a carburator from an engine and carved a wooden chamber box with two inlets, no venturi or fuel resovoir. One inlet for Air and one for Fuel. The inlets fed air and fuel into an open chamber where they mixed and got sucked into the engine.
As i turned the engine on, it did not ever fire into combustion on the first turn of the electric starter motor. It turns one or two times which is enough to move the pistons into their pump action to draw fuel and air in which then ignites under the spark plugs. Then the combustion cycle takes over as the starter is released. The carburetor was not involved in the vaccum at all. When i realized this, i even removed my wooden carved distribution chamber and left the engine open where a carburetor would normally be. I then dripped Gasoline in and started the engine and it ran. So the engine ran with no carburetor or any compromise version of a carburetor.

The problem i faced with no carburetor was that the vacuum was there and the engine intake was gapping open in a way to suck in particles in the air. Even stray insects. Also there was flow control issues and problems governing the engine power. The vacuum will suck fuel and grow the engine power which in turn will grow the vacuum power to suck in even more fuel which then grows the engine power to a greater vacuum force. The engine will run away with uncontrolled throttle increase. Also the air intake has to be filterd to keep damaging particle and insects out.

That is the primary job of the carburetor. To manage the amount of air and fuel taken in. The carburetor air and fuel channels are sized according to the engine size and power rating. Carburetors can be tuned to add more air and less fuel or add more fuel and less air. They have to remain within a dynamic ratio for best performance and to avoid flooding the engine with fuel or depriving the engine of fuel. To deter flood and famine as the engine consumes air and fuel.
You will notice the throttle body is always attached to the carburetor and that is because throttle is all about controlling fuel and air intake. The carburetor does the fuel and air intake management. The engine piston cycle creates the vaccum and the carburetor manages it.
There may be areas of advanced carburetors that work with vaccum created by the internal expansion of fuel and air flow in the carburetor, but the flow by vacuum originates from the pistons in the engine block.

You can run an engine without a carburetor and experience a powerful vacuum. The problem is keeping the engine power under control. That is the job of the carburetor.
Re: How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System by kuntash: 6:31pm On Oct 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You're so backwards that if this weren't so wrong it'll be funny

you seem to be the one who can't read or rather dumb .

when the electronics controlling the injection system fails , they are worse off than a caburettor #Fact

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Agree With Volvo Exec That China Now Makes Better Quality Cars Than Europ / Rain Driving: These Are The Dos And The Don'ts / Turbochargers Vs. Superchargers: What’s The Difference?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.