Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,999 members, 7,799,430 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:03 PM

If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay (31169 Views)

Senate Insists On Not Considering Buhari’s Nominees / Nigeria's Unity Not Negotiable Senate Insists (Video) / We Have Role To Play In Melaye’s Recall Process, Senate Insists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by deantimes(m): 12:09am On Mar 30, 2017
THE Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, Itse Sagay, has fired blistering remarks at Nigerian Senators after they summoned him for reportedly describing the Senate as ‘childish and irresponsible’ and one ‘filled by people of questionable character’.

The Senate, Tuesday, suspended the confirmation process for two weeks within which they demanded Mr. Magu’s sack.

But Mr. Sagay was reported by Punch on Wednesday to have said: “That action is childish and irresponsible. Do they think Buhari is a man that can easily be threatened? My God! How can people of such character occupy the highest legislative office in the country? Nigeria is finished.

“It is a great mistake and they will regret it.”

The Deputy Senate Leader, Bala Na’Allah, on Wednesday read Mr. Sagay’s comment to his colleagues who subsequently resolved to summon the senior lawyer to appear before the committee on ethics, privileges and public petitions to explain his statement.

In reaction to the Senate’s decision to summon him, Mr. Sagay said the upper chamber's resolution was unconstitutional.

“They ought to know that I do not come within the category of persons they can summon,” said Mr. Sagay.

“I would advise them to tell their lawyers to check the Sections 88 and 89 of the Constitution. Through that, they will know I don’t come within that category.”

“They don’t have authority to summon me. I am outside the group of persons they can summon. I am not a civil servant, I don’t belong to any commission or any…”

The parts of the Constitution cited by Mr. Sagay empowers the Senate or House of Representatives to direct investigation into the conduct of affairs of ‘any person, authority, ministry or government department charged, or intended to be charged, with the duty of or responsibility for executing or administering laws enacted by the National Assembly.’

Then, the law further provides that such shall only be exercised by the National Assembly for the purpose of making laws ‘within its legislative competence’; amending laws; and exposing “corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated for it.”

Section 89 establishes ways by which the National Assembly can enforce Section 88 paraphrased above.

Asked if his work as the chairman of the presidential anti-graft committee does not fall within the category mentioned in the Section 88 of the Constitution, Mr. Sagay who was quoted by Premium Times said, “That’s why I said they should look at the Constitution. My work comes totally outside of their power.

“I’m not going to give those details now; but if they are foolish enough to insist on my coming, at the appropriate time and at appropriate venue, all the details will come out

“But now let me just make general statement: they have no power or authority to summon me. Period!”

http://www.socialtimesng.net/2017/03/if-the-senate-insist-on-summoning-me-they-are-foolish-sagay/

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by LordIsaac(m): 12:11am On Mar 30, 2017
Fact...street men and corrupt legislooters trying to engage a renowned professor of constitutional law on matters bounding on the constitution? I think whatever opium they are high on is gradually moving them to the brink of insanity!

148 Likes 7 Shares

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by yarimo(m): 12:16am On Mar 30, 2017
Prof SAGAY you are absolutely right, because this sets of senators don't know anything about what is already written in the constitution. All what they are after is money money and more money. Mtcheeew yeye senators

135 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by todayboy: 12:19am On Mar 30, 2017
oga professor your boss Buhari have sent the vice president and other ministers to go and beg saraki

stop bragging Fulanis will always make your certificate useless

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by LionDeLeo: 12:19am On Mar 30, 2017
Tell them. What do they know? Disturbing us with noise everyday. A budget has been presented long ago, they won't concentrate on that.

18 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by sharpden: 12:20am On Mar 30, 2017
deantimes:

http://www.socialtimesng.net/2017/03/if-the-senate-insist-on-summoning-me-they-are-foolish-sagay/

So if it were in military regime, you will tell them that they can't summon you? This democracy set!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by kinibigdeal(m): 12:23am On Mar 30, 2017
yarimo:
Prof SAGAY you are absolutely right, because this sets of senators don't know anything about what is already written in the constitution. All what they are after is money money and more money. Mtcheeew yeye senators

If we allow the presidency to ridicule the senate, Nigerians are dead. If not for this senate, the executives would have sold us out. If the senate and the presidency agrees often, then we are all dead. There must be check and balance

116 Likes 6 Shares

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by yarimo(m): 12:28am On Mar 30, 2017
kinibigdeal:

If we allow the presidency to ridicule the senate, Nigerians are dead. If not for this senate, the executives would have sold us out. If the senate and the presidency agrees often, then we are all dead. There must be check and balance
so you mean the senate should only decide who to speak and express himself in nigeria ? After it was already written in the constitution.

44 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Jesusloveyou: 12:32am On Mar 30, 2017
todayboy:
oga professor your boss Buhari have sent the vice president and other ministers to go and beg saraki

stop bragging Fulanis will always make your certificate useless
setting up commitee does not stop the senate from being foolish.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Jesusloveyou: 12:38am On Mar 30, 2017
sharpden:

So if it were in military regime, you will tell them that they can't summon you? This democracy set!

exactly,
If it was in military regime, by now saraki and dino would have be in dungeon.
So my friend, ngeneukwenu should not blame buhari becos of democracy and rule of law.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by ProudBornoBoy(m): 12:42am On Mar 30, 2017
#Democracy is a curse to Africa..... All politician over 50yrs of age should be killed..... make youths rule
meanwhile

6 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by PMBNG(m): 12:45am On Mar 30, 2017
The parts of the Constitution cited by Mr. Sagay empowers the Senate or House of Representatives to direct investigation into the conduct of affairs of ‘any person, authority, ministry or government department charged, or intended to be charged, with the duty of or responsibility for executing or administering laws enacted by the National Assembly.’

Then, the law further provides that such shall only be exercised by the National Assembly for the purpose of making laws ‘within its legislative competence’; amending laws; and exposing “corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated for it.”

Unless Sagay is not being paid from the National Treasury then he might escape a little, even at that the words he used are insulting and he should be cautioned.

If those insulting APC elected officials can land in jail then Sagay should not be left out, all this people Buhari surrounded himself with are creating more problems for him.

If its not your preferred candidates are key officials in the Senate, you don't ridicule them, you claim they are men with questionable character, how? You claim they are corrupt why not probe them? Even if you probe them what right have you to judge them as corrupt when you're not a competent court of law?

To me, Sagay should be bundled and tied up by Dino Melaye, the Senate should not order for police to arrest him, they have the able-bodied mafia to do that.

The other day it was Ali, followed by Lawal, now na Sagay.

Nonsense.

Thing like this makes me remember Jonathan, GEJ we are really sorry.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by DozieInc(m): 2:45am On Mar 30, 2017
The recent activities of the Senate is in no way beneficial to Nigerians in general, just a waste of public funds. angry
They should continue displaying their ignorance. sad

9 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Aufbauh(m): 4:48am On Mar 30, 2017
Is quite unfortunate that the 8th Senate is constituting itself to be both maker and enforcer of the law out of crash ignorance and self aggrandizement.

Former president Obj had make more disparaging remarks about the senate before by calling bunch of rogues and thieves in high places. Why have they not attempt to summon Baba? This guys are mere jobless comedians trading off our time and resources.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Boleyndynasty2(f): 5:08am On Mar 30, 2017
This man has got no chill grin

5 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Boleyndynasty2(f): 5:10am On Mar 30, 2017
This man has got no chill grin.... What's with the 8th senate and summoning people up and down? Now no one is talking about Nigerians and the challenges we have, just wasting our time and money on useless power tussle angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by PMBNG(m): 6:39am On Mar 30, 2017
Aufbauh:
Is quite unfortunate that the 8th Senate is constituting itself to be both maker and enforcer of the law out of crash ignorance and self aggrandizement.

Former president Obj had make more disparaging remarks about the senate before by calling bunch of rogues and thieves in high places. Why have they not attempt to summon Baba? This guys are mere jobless comedians trading off our time and resources.

Obasanjo is not a presidential aide in this govt.
as at now he is just an ordinary Nigerian just like you.

come to think of it, is it not this same Obasanjo you want to portray as a saint that introduced ghana-must-go bags in National Assembly because of his 3rd term agenda?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Rolings: 6:47am On Mar 30, 2017
PMBNG:

come to think of it, is it not this same Obasanjo you want to portray as a saint that introduced ghana-must-go bags in National Assembly because of his 3rd term agenda?

Obj introduced Ghana must go to NASS and the thieves there didn't reject the ghana must go because they lack integrity. ....all this happened under PDP

Under Apc nothing like that is happening, yet some of you will still say there is no change .
INDEED THERE IS CHANGE EVERYWHERE FROM NASS TO JUDICIARY.
CHANGE IS HERE.

23 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Elnino4ladies: 6:48am On Mar 30, 2017
The Senate is just useless

2 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Alphaoscar: 6:53am On Mar 30, 2017
sharpden:

Who is this one again?

2 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Nobody: 6:56am On Mar 30, 2017
aswear Buhari is the most weakest president in the history of this country, how on earth will he let rogues, criminals, fraudsters, impostors, ground his government without bringing them down to their toes, impeach mr clown, the face of corruption called saraki wih just five to six signature of other senators, and by prohibiting those loyal to him gaining entrances to the house with the present of military personnel, normalcy will return

9 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Nukualofa: 6:58am On Mar 30, 2017
DozieInc:
The recent activities of the Senate is in no way beneficial to Nigerians in general, just a waste of public funds. angry
They should continue displaying their ignorance. sad
The Senate is challenging the Executive rascality and we refuses to see through it

4 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Flyingngel(m): 7:04am On Mar 30, 2017
Only 2% of the National Assembly Members knws what they are there to do, the rest are after their pockets.

5 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Aufbauh(m): 7:09am On Mar 30, 2017
PMBNG:

Stop salivating. The senate has no authority or power to summon Prof. Itse Sagay as his position is not within their legislative sermon.

12 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by omogin(f): 7:13am On Mar 30, 2017
This idiot wants to be noticed. Your boss is a Dundee united. We want Osibanjo back asap

1 Like

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Jaideyone(m): 7:29am On Mar 30, 2017
kinibigdeal:

really? as glaring as the corruption going on in the senate is they ate not ridiculed already? Nigerians know the real reason magu was rejected. Nigerians know the real reason Ali was summoned. Nigerians know the real reason Ndume will be suspended. the current senate is joke. they already ridiculed themselves.

our senators are shameless. so there's no ridicule here. all sane Nigerians must stand against the current NASS of thieves

10 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Jaideyone(m): 7:30am On Mar 30, 2017
Flyingngel:
Only 2% of the National Assembly Members knws what they are there to do, the rest are after their pockets.
right thinking Nigerian.
Good morning

1 Like

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by muyibaba222(m): 7:50am On Mar 30, 2017
Oga we know they are foolish. But Buhari brought this to himself in the name of being a democrat. I only pity the democracy we all enjoy being threatened by the Senate. There is a cabal in the Senate that have their say just like it's happening in presidency.

1 Like

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by hysteriabox(m): 8:04am On Mar 30, 2017
ProudBornoBoy:
#Democracy is a curse to Africa..... All politician over 50yrs of age should be killed..... make youths rule
meanwhile

Kill is a stretch but I agree with you

But the youth are not ready. All we know is 'au awan take hammer'

4 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by Flyingngel(m): 8:05am On Mar 30, 2017
Jaideyone post:right thinking Nigerian.
Good morning

Good morning bro, that is what we sow; if the electorate stop looking at money but on the capacity and capability of who is going to represent them then we will be close to 70%. But for now we don buy market.

2 Likes

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by kinibigdeal(m): 8:26am On Mar 30, 2017
Jaideyone:
really? as glaring as the corruption going on in the senate is they ate not ridiculed already? Nigerians know the real reason magu was rejected. Nigerians know the real reason Ali was summoned. Nigerians know the real reason Ndume will be suspended. the current senate is joke. they already ridiculed themselves.

our senators are shameless. so there's no ridicule here. all sane Nigerians must stand against the current NASS of thieves

That is what the executivee want you to believe, and sorry to say. You fall for it! Of all the allegations, which of them is true?The presidency want an executive power that wont be possible in a Democratic setting. Why aren't the president responded to the allegations against is untouchable aid. Magu is a bait, Nigerians need a Ribadu and not a political office holder. Ali and Magu should resign

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Senate Insists On Summoning Me, They Are Foolish – Sagay by 2016v2017: 8:27am On Mar 30, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zakari Mijinyawa Confirms Escape Of Nadeem Anjarwalla, Binance Executive / "Stone Us, If We Fail After 2 Years" – Nigerians Remember APC Chieftain Promises / Ikere Ekiti Youths Welcomed Fayose In The Night (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.