Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

Expert Vs Experience: How I Dealt With My Old School Boss - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Expert Vs Experience: How I Dealt With My Old School Boss (382 Views)

Enlight Grand Papa/mama To Turn Their Old School Recorded To Cash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Expert Vs Experience: How I Dealt With My Old School Boss by BaesDiary: 11:51am On Mar 30, 2017
My education was rather fast considering I was the youngest among my peers.  I got a degree in Acccounts by the age of 19. As at that time hiring younglings without experience wasn't the trend. I picked up a job for 35k/m as a business consultant for a smallish company in the area I worked for Oga ( Not his real name obviously).
So I'm fresh with a degree in Accounting with a couple professional certificates and  working a pretty decent job. Oga and I seemed to get along, the only problem is he's...an old school product, who loved cutting corners and costs as much as possible to stay stable .  They cut costs, which in turn cut demands,  further killing the  business,  we had to expand our areas  just to break even. I didn't have too much of an issue with it, because where he'd offer his 'experience' in business, I'd offer expertise from an Accounting point of view, and much of the time, my ideas produced far better results.

You'd imagine Oga would be happy to have me on his team, but that wasn't even remotely the case. So he removes me from major projects and onto minor ones, where the commission isn't as great, and the businesses are already touching the floor of their pockets in cost cutting, so it's almost impossible to turn it around as people keep leaving the area because they've drowned in debt. But that wasn't the issue that got to me. Oh, no. We're talking about a six figure contract now, and he assigns me to work on it because we recently lost a senior analyst. This is my chance, right? So I work with this business for months straight, and slowly, what started as a 20% quarterly loss turned to 10%, then breaking even, before finally turning a profit. By extension that meant a good bonus for me right? Wrong.  After the latest quarterly report pegged their growth at around 5%, they started recording negatives again.
Why? Because my Oga went behind my back and started offering his own consultation. His strategy: Sack some staff, bring in contract workers for half the pay and reduce machine maintenance to save money. So they implemented the strategy and fell behind. Oga went ahead to blame it on me, and my "unpractical textbook approach" and my "naivete." I realized  that he had been reviewing my work, then replacing my suggestions and analysis with his own.

In line with Oga's suggestion, they had sacked  half of their work force, who knew what they were doing by then, and replaced them with contract workers who...didn't know what they were doing. This led to higher losses than they've ever experienced, and they were mad. They wanted blood, and they blamed me for their company's negative turnaround.

Continue reading: http://baesdiary..com.ng/2017/03/expert-vs-experience-how-i-dealt-with.html#more

(1) (Reply)

Job Vacancy In Lagos - Account Clerk / Vacancy For Arabic Teacher In Ikoyi/obalende (accomodation Available) / Business Development Executive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.