Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,743 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit (26449 Views)

Photos: See What Gov.Kashim Shettima Did To Control Hunger And Poverty in Borno / The Real Story Of Nigeria (north, East And South) / After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ezeagu(m): 6:00pm On Dec 27, 2009
THE.AMAKA:

^^^
you're cute.  smiley

Is that his picture?

Check my profile, I'm finer. wink
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Moyola(f): 6:04pm On Dec 27, 2009
ezeagu:

D finest! tongue
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ezeagu(m): 6:05pm On Dec 27, 2009
See. . . . grin shocked
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by THEAMAKA1: 6:12pm On Dec 27, 2009
ezeagu:

Is that his picture?

hahahaha isnt that the one thing from "Little Miss Jocelyn" ? lolol
funny picture.
he is a little cutie, just letting him know that.

EZEAGU!!! AHHHHHH kiss
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ezeagu(m): 6:14pm On Dec 27, 2009
You wan Mini caaab drivor? embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by THEAMAKA1: 6:15pm On Dec 27, 2009
ezeagu!!!
lion king or king of lions or something like that lol  grin
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by gidson12(m): 6:47pm On Dec 27, 2009
@ amaka
tanx, do u like me wink wink
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by THEAMAKA1: 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2009
i wouldnt say all that, but im just giving you a compliment. wink
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by AndreUweh(m): 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2009
gidson12:

@ amaka
tanx, do u like me wink wink
What is all these?.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by SEFAGO(m): 6:53pm On Dec 27, 2009
@ amaka
tanx, do u like me

Perv grin
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by THEAMAKA1: 6:56pm On Dec 27, 2009
party crashers--bite me cool
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by gidson12(m): 7:04pm On Dec 27, 2009
@ sefago
jealousy grin
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by SEFAGO(m): 7:07pm On Dec 27, 2009
u must be joking sad
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by nwoorsu: 8:39pm On Dec 27, 2009
IMAO as an igboman.why cant igbos farm?the wealth we have is useless if we depend on the north to feed.this goes out to all southerners.we have abundant land and aquatic resources.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by triaophant: 11:03pm On Dec 27, 2009
@olafolarin, those who do not know where they are coming from will not know where they are going, YOU ARE NOT A GOOD STUDENT OF HISTORY, cause if you are you would have known that Awo as the Federal Commissioner for Finance during Gowon's regime initiated and and implemented the policy of paying 3 pounds or 4 pounds to Easterners immediately after the Civil war no matter how much you had in the bank before the outbreak of the Civil war. That so much impoverised the Easterners after the Civil war and it was at that state that Obansanjo's regime introduced the policy of NATIONALISATION OF FOREIGN OWNED MULTI-NATIONAL COMPANIES OPERATING IN NIGERIA AS AT THEN. At that time, the Easterners were left with nothing to participate in buying into these companies, hence the Eastern resources were used by the South West to buy off all those companies after the nationalisation. It was because of this anger the Awo's helicopter was stoned at Aba during his campaign tour of old Imo State in 1978 as the Presidential candidate of UPN. You may also recall that during the 1983 election campaigns, Awo never stepped foot in the South East. and you know the result, woeful performance in the elections
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by otukpo(f): 10:49am On Dec 28, 2009
:-x :-x
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by mrperfect(m): 11:28am On Dec 28, 2009
This result is there to enable us to see how and where we can improve.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by swezenberg(m): 10:27pm On Dec 28, 2009
You need to go back to Ibadan and see the kind of investments there today. I visited their University for the first time this year and I marveled I had to rule out unilag. It is one of the neatest and finest university in Africa. There is constant renovation or rehabilitation going on. Ife is second to none in West Africa no doubt. I think PDP has really done more evil to the southwest than good. But the region has brought this country a lot of goodies. Those who have benefited from the investment in the southwest should keep quiet. After all majority of the enlightened ones from other regions can never boast that their exposure was from the schools located in their region. Go abroad and see what Southwesterners have invested oversea and the kind of profession they engage themselves in. They are years ahead whether you argue from now till tomorrow. One of their sons has even given some ungrateful ones avenue to run their mouth on a site developed by this region.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by SEFAGO(m): 10:32pm On Dec 28, 2009
One of their sons has even given some ungrateful ones avenue to run their mouth on a site developed by this region.

grin
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by mekusxxx: 10:34pm On Dec 28, 2009
swezenberg:

You need to go back to Ibadan and see the kind of investments there today. I visited their University for the first time this year and I marveled I had to rule out unilag. It is one of the neatest and finest university in Africa. There is constant renovation or rehabilitation going on. Ife is second to none in West Africa no doubt. I think PDP has really done more evil to the southwest than good. But the region has brought this country a lot of goodies. Those who have benefited from the investment in the southwest should keep quiet. After all majority of the enlightened ones from other regions can never boast that their exposure was from the schools located in their region. Go abroad and see what Southwesterners have invested oversea and the kind of profession they engage themselves in. They are years ahead whether you argue from now till tomorrow. One of their sons has even given some ungrateful ones avenue to run their mouth on a site developed by this region.

Which Ibadan? The one I just returned from or another one? Give me a break. No be the same overseas wey all of us dey? We dey meet for street now? Over sea ko, over mountain ni. Some of you guys will never agree to the truth, even if told by God in heaven. Most, if not all the papers with empirical data cited in this thread were written by your brothers on the ground.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by mekusxxx: 10:37pm On Dec 28, 2009
The confession of a Yoruba intelligentsia

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/19/15.html
Nigerians in Diaspora remit $1.7bn home yearly
From Simeon Nwakaudu, Makurdi

NIGERIANS in the Diaspora remit over $1.7 billion yearly to family members and friends at home, an avenue of finance that can be exploited by the Federal Government for national development.

advertisement

This disclosure was made by Prof. Toyin Falola of the University of Texas, Austin, United States (U.S.), during a public lecture he delivered at the Benue State University, Makurdi on Thursday.

Speaking on the topic "Citizens at Home, Citizens Abroad and the Globalisation of Knowledge," Falola declared that Nigerians in the Diaspora make huge remittances that could be translated to the good of the nation annually.

Falola, who was invested with the Julius Nyerere Professorial Chair of Modern African History by the Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Paul Akase Sorkaa, on the same day, disclosed that during the Olusegun Obasanjo administration, he suggested the introduction of a Diaspora Tax for Nigerians abroad, especially in the West, as their contribution to national development.

However, he stated that such a tax might be impracticable because of the challenges of corruption and the application of resources that may accrue there from.

He said: "If the Nigerian Civil War had taken place 20 years after the time it took place, it would have lasted more than three years because the Igbo in United States alone can finance the entire civil war."

Falola noted that several countries of the world have taken advantage of their large Diaspora communities to finance development back home, saying that Nigeria should do the same.

He stated that the State of Israel came into being and was nurtured into the technological giant it is today through the financial contributions of its Diaspora community in the U.S.

Falola also cited the Philippines as a country where highly qualified nurses are trained and sent out to work in other countries and pay Diaspora taxes to their home country for its growth.

He regretted that in Africa, the situation is such that highly qualified professionals were trained only for them to migrate to other developed nations, due to harsh economic realities, where they contribute to strengthen the economies of their host countries.

The don stated that Africa lost 13 million of its citizens to the developed world through slavery, while the harsh economic realities of the Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP) drove another 15 million to Western countries in the 1980s.

Falola said: "I am proposing the practical and academic integration of Africa with its Diaspora citizens in many ways that ideas, goods and people can freely circulate for the upliftment of all so that we can move to the centre of world history."

In his remarks, Prof. Sorkaa said the university was moving towards collaborating with the Nigerian intelligentsia in the Diaspora to develop a stronger academic environment that would help the nation.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ebor(m): 10:51pm On Dec 28, 2009
pls may i know the source of this story i.e Newspaper and date of publication because am doing my M.sc on related topic. Tnx 4ur anticipated assistance
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by mekusxxx: 10:57pm On Dec 28, 2009
Which story? There are many here. grin grin
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ebor(m): 12:27am On Dec 29, 2009
i mean Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit. tnx
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by kosovo(m): 12:29am On Dec 29, 2009
smiley
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by mekusxxx: 12:42am On Dec 29, 2009
ebor:

i mean Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit. tnx

The articles are all here and the links for precise data are also provided. Go through all the posts carefully, especially those belonging to me. There could be more recent data so you have to update yourself with the facts, somehow.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ebor(m): 5:28am On Dec 29, 2009
mekusxxx:

The articles are all here and the links for precise data are also provided. Go through all the posts carefully, especially those belonging to me. There could be more recent data so you have to update yourself with the facts, somehow.

what i need is d name of d Newspaper and date from which u got d scanned material u posted initially so i could obtain a copy here. It seems 2b Punch Newspaper but i don't know d date of publication.Thanx a million; i'v really got a lot of useful info frm ur postings so far.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by mekusxxx: 6:15am On Dec 29, 2009
^^^^^^
Indeed it is from Punch Newspaper but not sure again of the exact date. I do not have the hard copy of that paper any longer but if you print this scanned one (sorry about the bad scan; it is quite old now) and take it to Punch office, they might be able to trace it back. I think it was published between 2003-2005. Like I said, there are more recent reports like the ones I posted after the scan post. Good luck.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Mekana(m): 1:43am On Dec 31, 2009
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit
« #4 on: December 25, 2009, 11:17 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SafeGo:
Interesting statistics-

It could be possible that the mass migration of people in the South East and North to the South West, due to the significant economic opportunities, could have increased poverty in the South West, and consequently reduced poverty statistics in the South East. I would wager that there would be a larger number of people in the South East if such an adjustment was made to the methodology of this study.
My two cents

The above poster is again showing his ignorance of empirical statistics and its workings. The data studied ppl living in all parts of nigeria. If jobs in nigeria only concentrates in the West, as u wrongfully asserted, then the ppl of S' South and S' East living in their lands should be poverty stricken. But u are wrong! The ppl in the West (Igbos and non Igbos) were counted as Westerners, the same is applicable during census. Ppl living in an area counts for that region. This data shows that unlike westerners, ppl across the Niger are mostly self employed through self business ownership and merhcndising. Go drink a cool aid fool!
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by SEFAGO(m): 1:49am On Dec 31, 2009
The above poster is again showing his ignorance of empirical statistics and its workings. The data studied ppl living in all parts of nigeria. If jobs in nigeria only concentrates in the West, as u wrongfully asserted, then the ppl of S' South and S' East living in their lands should be poverty stricken. But u are wrong! The ppl in the West (Igbos and non Igbos) were counted as Westerners, the same is applicable during census. Ppl living in an area counts for that region. This data shows that unlike ppl across the Niger are mostly self employed through self business ownership and merhcndising. Go drink a cool aid fool!

No, it wouldn't. It is likely the poor people in the South east migrate in numbers to places where they can expect larger incomes as opposed to staying at home. Hence the south east seems less poor because of migration. If the south east is so rich the ibos would not be moving to the North and south west in large numbers. How many South Easterners are in the North alone? How many Northerners are in the South east?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kachikwu Hands Over To Maikanti Baru As Managing Director NNPC / Kerosene Hits All-time High Price / Senators Order Dan Ali Monsur To Withdraw Statement On Anti-grazing Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.