Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit (26450 Views)

Photos: See What Gov.Kashim Shettima Did To Control Hunger And Poverty in Borno / The Real Story Of Nigeria (north, East And South) / After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Mekusxyz: 5:09am On Dec 31, 2009
Data on literacy level is different from that of JAMB. However the two stats coalesce (sp) to support the fact that Igbo is worsting Yoruba in literacy and education.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by SEFAGO(m): 5:10am On Dec 31, 2009
I have taken Jamb before, and it predicts nothing about academic ability- Also where are these literacy statistics?I want to see the methodology as well as the assumptions used for this study
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by H2O2: 5:15am On Dec 31, 2009
Mekusxyz:

So what makes you think Yorubas are better? The head of JAMB is Yoruba, Prof Ojerinde. Do you suggest that he is cooking up the data against his own people?
Couldn't care less if the head of Jamb is Igbo or Hausa.
I don't think my little entry was suggestive enough to conclude that I think Yorubas are better.
We certainly can't gather enough data to determine the better of the two, and we should definitely exercise caution in relying on jamb for conclusive evidence. . .
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Mekusxyz: 5:18am On Dec 31, 2009
Literacy Level Of Nigerian States
« on: Today at 05:15:12 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lagos tops. However Lagos is a melting pot of Nigeria and no ethnicity can claim its excellent literacy spot. In the absence of that, Igbo states are among the most literate in the country, with all except one clustering in the first 12 (out of 36 states+ Abuja). Ebonyi state, the bottomer in everything Igbo took the 22nd position. Below is the ranking (see file attached)

Source: NBS, General Household Survey, 2007
NBS=National Bureau of Statistics
Lagos
Rivers
Abia
Edo
Anambra
Akwa Ibom
Ondo
Imo
Bayelsa
Delta
Kano
Enugu
Cross River
Osun
Benue
Gombe
Ogun
Ekiti
Plateau
Oyo
FCT
Ebonyi
Kogi
Bauchi
Kaduna
Jigawa
Nasarawa
Adamawa
Kwara
Borno
Taraba
Sokoto
Niger
Zamfara
Katsina
Kebbi
Yobe
Urban
Rural
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Mekana(m): 5:19am On Dec 31, 2009
SEFAGO:

Look at this crap which reeks of bad grammar. Dont even start. At least you are not as bad as Dede1 your mistakes are typographical.
I deliberately highlighted ur semantic deficiency and convoluted line of thought, do same. U came here to talk about typo, its unnecessary.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Mekusxyz: 5:20am On Dec 31, 2009
Sefago, I have created a new thread for literacy levels. Go there and discuss that topic. Leave this one for poverty. Thanks.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by H2O2: 5:24am On Dec 31, 2009
Mekana:

The crux of the data is that even when u consider the population of these Jambites as well as their performances, the S' East is still far ahead despite the malpractices. Every group does "expo" in nigeria so that doesn't count.
The malpractices and illegitimacy of the results serve as proof that the stats are dubious and cannot serve as the determinant of superior intellectuals.
It's a mere circumstantial evidence that is not compelling enough to paint us a clear picture.

SEFAGO:

I have taken Jamb before, and it predicts nothing about academic ability- Also where are these literacy statistics?I want to see the methodology as well as the assumptions used for this study
true that.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Mekana(m): 5:25am On Dec 31, 2009
H2O2:

Couldn't care less if the head of Jamb is Igbo or Hausa.
I don't think my little entry was suggestive enough to conclude that I think Yorubas are better.
We certainly can't gather enough data to determine the better of the two, and we should definitely exercise caution in relying on jamb for conclusive evidence. . .  

Work with what u have; the available data punctured the prevailing idea, especially held and spread by the west, that Igbos don't patronize education. U see, many ppl think anambra, because of Onitsha, should be close to Zamfara and kebbi in the perking order. But in reality, Anambra rivals the top states with six accredited Universities and about 5 other higher institutions.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Mekana(m): 5:30am On Dec 31, 2009
H2O2:

The malpractices and illegitimacy of the results serve as proof that the stats are dubious and cannot serve as the determinant of superior intellectuals.
It's a mere circumstantial evidence that is not compelling enough to paint us a clear picture.
true that.
Dude, Even if the results, because of malpractice, is not credible, there is one ascertainable fact from that data; the population of Jamb takers. The population of Jambites indicates the number of ppl interested in higher education. That is more important to this discourse than intellectual levels of nigerians, which is hardly ascertainable, no matter what compass one uses to determine it.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by H2O2: 5:33am On Dec 31, 2009
Meh, I don 't wanna continue going off on tangents because this will only drag on ad infinitum so make una get back to your previous conversation wey i dey enjoy.

But regarding your last riposte, the available data is inconclusive so it's safer to err on the side of caution and remain indecisive when in doubt.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by H2O2: 5:36am On Dec 31, 2009
Mekana:

Dude, Even if the results, because of malpractice, is not credible, there is one ascertainable fact from that data; the population of Jamb takers. The population of Jambites indicates the number of ppl interested in higher education. That is more important to this discourse than intellectual levels of nigerians, which is hardly ascertainable, no matter what compass one uses to determine it.
That is true. Besides, determining "leading edge of intellectuals" or intellectual frontrunners (for lack of a better word) in Nigeria is insignificant especially since we have nothing to show for it in that DAMNED country.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Mekusxyz: 5:44am On Dec 31, 2009
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)

Sefago is the one claiming (or at least insinuating) a superior intellectualism by the Yoruba. I am educated enough (PhD level) to know that quantity is different than quality. How on earth can anyone (nonetheless black on black) claim to posses an intellect superior to another? In terms of quantity, the data is clear enough from JAMB. From the quality standpoint, there is nothing on the ground to suggest that anyone is better than the other.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by metalgong5(m): 5:50am On Dec 31, 2009
Mekana:

Work with what u have; the available data punctured the prevailing idea, especially held and spread by the west, that Igbos don't patronize education. U see, many ppl think anambra, because of Onitsha, should be close to Zamfara and kebbi in the perking order. But in reality, Anambra rivals the top states with six accredited Universities and about 5 other higher institutions.
Thank you very much for the above highlighted line . .
These dumb Yorubas always try to reconcile the natural business acumen of Anambrarians(Igbos) with a weak academic zeal while deliberately ignoring the fact that Igbos have produced more of Nigerians intellectuals. Inaddition, Anambra state and other Igbo states also rank among the top literate states in Nigeria. . . . .   The data speaks for itself.
I believe that these Yorubas resort to all these false and silly propagandas because they are no match to Igbos in sports, business or other wise. Hence, there only consolation is to deliberately hang on to their  false academic claims.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by nwoorsu: 6:02am On Dec 31, 2009
It is needless for us to be arguing all the time about who is better?what we need is the republic of southern nigeria with capital at asaba.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by willyspace(m): 7:58pm On Jan 01, 2010
Asaba is not even worthy of being a Local Government Headquarters!
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by omongbati1: 5:56am On Dec 20, 2010
They are so poor southern almajiris
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ZnO: 4:52am On Jun 25, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by bashr4: 5:14am On Jul 18, 2011
willyspace:

lol thats harsh
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by vicenzo(m): 11:19am On Jul 18, 2011
willyspace:

You are not worthy to be heard.
willyspace:

You are not worthy to be heard.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ak47mann(m): 12:37pm On Jul 18, 2011
GOD own children[b] UMU igbo[/b] cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by adejoro75: 8:45pm On Jul 24, 2011
wink wink wink wink wink wink wink shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by chino11(m): 9:06pm On Jul 24, 2011
Are these data correct? Somebody should clarify all these
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by kasiem(m): 4:32am On Jul 25, 2011
Is this the same igbo that started with 20pounds?
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ak47mann(m): 2:49pm On Jul 25, 2011
^^^
yep but igbos are blessed and they work very hard for their money,even with 20 pounds giving to them to start life which that devil stole from us to feed his people and still look at the statistic still show poverty is too high cos they don't have the business brain they couldn't achieve anything from it.This will teach people a lesson taking what does not belong to you will always go down the drain,
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by SouthEast2: 3:02am On Aug 02, 2011
wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by SouthEast1: 6:50pm On Oct 04, 2011
Anybody has new data on poverty levels in Nigeria? Has anything changed since the last few years?
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by realchange: 6:59pm On Oct 04, 2011
Hmm, interesting thread. cool
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by htajz: 10:23pm On Oct 04, 2011
they should do a new study am sure poverty have reduced in the south south wink
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Nobody: 10:33pm On Oct 04, 2011
checking that list of literacy levels in nigeria, i notice that five states of the south south make up the first 10 most literate states in nigeria, and some people where saying the ss lags behind in some thread i came across recently, hmmmmm statistics don't lie.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Nobody: 2:49am On Oct 05, 2011
I jst want to state unequivocally here that lagos is the only functional state in the west and a very little exception to these state capitals i.e ibadan and abeokuta, other south western states are a write off, u see poverty stairing at u e.g ekiti, osun, ondo, (pls im nt been insultive here,this is our country). Everywere looks rural, urbanization is restricted only to their goverment quaters. Most people from the S.W migrated to lagos and ve completely abandoned their home states cause there is nothing happening there, majority even claim to be from lagos state so im nt supprised by that statistic released.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Beaf: 4:12am On Oct 05, 2011
^
Ondo is not that bad.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ow11(m): 8:38am On Oct 05, 2011
After proving that your region is number 1 in functional illiteracy, what next? Instead of discussing ways to swim above the filth dumped by the ruling class, bigots are creaming themselves over results/enrolment figures in exams where a majority of the students cheat to pass.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

'DSS Detains PVC Supplier, Demands Encryption Code'-APC / Pictures Of Gov Rochas Okorocha’s Swearing-in / Eid Mubarak: Jonathan Celebrates With Muslims, Some Nigerians React(screenshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.