Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,489 members, 7,808,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit (26460 Views)

Photos: See What Gov.Kashim Shettima Did To Control Hunger And Poverty in Borno / The Real Story Of Nigeria (north, East And South) / After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ak47mann(m): 11:19am On Oct 05, 2011
byrron:

I jst want to state unequivocally here that lagos is the only functional state in the west and a very little exception to these state capitals i.e ibadan and abeokuta, other south western states are a write off, u see poverty stairing at u e.g ekiti, osun, ondo, (pls im nt been insultive here,this is our country). Everywere looks rural, urbanization is restricted only to their goverment quaters. Most people from the S.W migrated to lagos and ve completely abandoned their home states cause there is nothing happening there, majority even claim to be from lagos state so im nt supprised by that statistic released.
cool cool cool when i said that every SW person claims Lagos i know what am talking about cheesy
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 05, 2011
@Ak47mann: nt all d people from S.W claims 2b frm lag as u stated but most people from S.W domicile in lagos and even brag 2come from lagos. D point is they jst get disillusioned and dèfend anything abt S.W with lagos in view whl their various states of origin r left unattended to. U jst need to travel arnd nigeria and see d way we rly are, 4get these make belive we all do on d web.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Francis5: 7:40pm On Nov 14, 2011
This a true picture of poverty in Nigeria. Those of us who travel nationwide attest to it.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ak47mann(m): 8:17pm On Nov 14, 2011
cool
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by SailorXY: 12:20am On Mar 21, 2012
Poverty again? Spits
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by bashr8: 3:57pm On Apr 18, 2012
sen
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by mekuslogan: 5:48am On Apr 22, 2012
I did not know Yorubas are poorer than other southerners.
I hear Igbos own Lagos and most of the rich people there are Igbos.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by Paentera(m): 2:10am On Jan 08, 2013
Mekusxyz: Sefago,

UniLever and Cabury were run down by the so-called professional who were busy looting the companies.
Do you know Late Rufus Giwa of UniLever?
Do you know of the recent fraud in Cadbury that almost caused Shweppes (sp) Cadbury, its parent coy overseas to want to pull out?

If you want to see well-run companies owned by non-Yoruba in Lagos, check Coscharis motors, Capital oil and Zenon computers just to mention a few

Exxon Mobil is not a Nigerian coy and Nigerians at top level (if any) have little or no say what happens because every major decision comes from the US.
Check who is running things at NLNG which is more Nigerian than ExxonMobil

Fast forward to 2012 - well run companies indeed with a stench of corruption and swindling going on in these two companies, you would think corruption was about to go out of fashion.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by omongbatim: 4:35pm On Jan 25, 2013
Bump
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by MajeOfficial: 1:12pm On May 06, 2013
becomrich;:
you people are wrong.  there is nothing in ibadan. just too many people . The most develop part of nigeria from satellite picture is the north.

One road from bauchi to maiduguri is about 500 km.  When you compare that to the two major road in the south west. The benin -lagos  and the lagos to ilorin road. When you add the two road together, the distance is 350 km (180 + 170 km)

The Kaduna to kano expressway is 250 km
Kaduna to abuja expressway is 180 Km
The Kaduna to Jos is 190 km
Sokoto to Kebbi is 140 km

The north is the most develop part of Nigeria,  from satellite pictures.  You would be shock by the number of expressway in the north.

This is followed by the south east
Then by  the south south
if you remove lagos, there is nothing again in yorubaland.

pictures is a small town in the north.

yorubaland is the poorest in nigeria if you look at satellite pictures.

What you are looking for is good road, health care, airports and others.  This is how you measure development, and the north have more in good road, health care and airport than south or yorubaland. They are more developed. I would show you more pictures.

Yorubaland and the mid west is the worst in poverty in nigeria. The east is Ok from the satellite picture. They have better road than yorubaland and the Mid west.

at least you don't fall for the myth that the north is completely 'underdeveloped'. The north has 4 major industrial semi-cosmopolitan cities and the best all around infrastructure in Nigeria.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by RareDiamond: 7:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
Poverty is a big issue in yoruba land. Their govt needs to reduce the high rate of poverty and under development in south west nigeria

1 Like

Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ikweremilitant: 8:59pm On Oct 10, 2013
SEFAGO: Interesting statistics-

It could be possible that the mass migration of people in the South East and North to the South West, due to the significant economic opportunities, could have increased poverty in the South West, and consequently reduced poverty statistics in the South East. I would wager that there would be a larger number of people in the South East if such an adjustment was made to the methodology of this study.

My two cents
ure a big goat so wit all d noise makng u yorubas re hungry thugs.i have tod u d ibos re nt ur mate in any ramificatn.wen we tok u cal seaport wic yorubas dnt even hav up to 20percnt importers.wen we tolk u call industry,manufacturng is nt biscuits chewng gum nd ogogoro factory.u dnt compare d heavy industries in d se or ss wit d cotage industry u hav in d west

1 Like

Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by ROYALD(m): 10:25pm On Oct 10, 2013
NICE ONE
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by iconaus: 12:45am On Oct 11, 2013
omodapson: People should stop arguing blindly. What has infrastructures got to do with the impoverish state of the people of an area. There are many African countries with better infrastructures but the people in some of these countries live in abject poverty. Zimbabwe is a good example! I have traveled to many states in Nigeria and I can say from the level of poverty that I've experienced that there is no region that is a poverty stricken as the North.

It is only in the North that you can travel 5 hours on a motor bike on a dusty God forsaken road  to get to another village! Those who probably think that the North is well developed are only the privileged Notherners who have not traveled to the interiors of the North. The road in the North are longer because of the land mass the region enjoys and it could have been the same for the South if the South also enjoys big land mass. My logic tells me that no matter the distance between a state and another, you just have to create a link.

Also, you can't judge a bull by its horns. When you go to most of the villages in the North, their cry is usually "those of you in the South are so privileged". Thank God my job takes me to the interiors in the North.

One thing that should be noted is that we are all still very "poor" in Nigeria, and the development some are being egoistic about is not development when you compare it with what obtains in Industrial/advanced nations. We should stop deceiving ourselves about the physical infrastructures we see.

Just a statement for thought: How many times have we seen an Ibo begging for alms in our major cities? But go anywhere in Nigeria, you will surely see the Notherners in their thousands and the South Westerners in their hundreds. I stand to be corrected.

I think this thread has settled the constant call by the westerners for igbos to go back to their poverty stricken region . All statsitcis point to the fact that they South east is the richest region or region with least poverty level . I have said it severally that SE people migrate to other zones not because of poverty but becuase in other zones like the west and north, they are more likely to harness the opportunities faster and make money than in SE where there is more stiff competition in interms of business and other endeavours .

People should travel to other parts of Nigeria and see rather than base their arguement on what they were told or what they think .

Going by the history of Nigeria , SE and SS should be the poorest because of the impact of civil war ( 20 pounds to biafrans after the war ) and they are the most marginalised . But hard work and not focusing on the government are behind the success in SE.
Re: Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit by bi0nics: 11:11pm On Dec 08, 2016
Bump

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Fashola Visits Ambode / NYSC Scandal: 'Sack Adeosun' - Francis Obalim Tells Court / ‘Obidient’ Movement Helped Me Win FCT Senate Seat - Ireti Kingibe (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.