Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,702 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

Re:the Ruling On Saying Jumah Mubarak And Sending It Via Texts On Friday - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re:the Ruling On Saying Jumah Mubarak And Sending It Via Texts On Friday (643 Views)

Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For “Blasphemy” / Father Mbaka: What Ihedioha Should Have Done Before Supreme Court Ruling / Apostle Suleman Preaches Against Sending Children For Studies Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Re:the Ruling On Saying Jumah Mubarak And Sending It Via Texts On Friday by TheArbiter: 1:58pm On Mar 31, 2017
Assalamu Alaikum to all. For some reason i am unable to reply to the original post so i am constrained to post this as a new topic. I wrote this with the intention of good. May Allah (SWT) forgive our omissions and commissions. My apologies in advance if i can not respond to comments that may arise: busy schedule.

To clarify my perspective:

The early generation did not have hospitals so all Muslims should stop using going to hospitals.

The early generation did not use computers so all Muslims should not use them.

The early generation did not ride cars so all Muslims should not use them.

The early generation did not have formal schools nor were taught the sciences so all Muslims should abandon such and just learn the Quran and hadith solely.

The early generation did not view television so all Muslims should not use them.

The early generation never knew blood transfusion so all Muslims should avoid doing it.

I hope everyone gets my drift. The problem is not Islam but all those half-baked sheiks churning out their warped illiterate concept of Islam which they presume should resemble the cultural experience of the early generation(e.g bokoharam easily comes to mind). Islam was meant to be a universal religion of obedience to Allah (SWT), valid for all times and all cultures.

Islam has the fundamental view that all that Allah (SWT) had created has potential for good or evil excepting the Angels and those whom he has conferred His mercy (e.g Messengers and prophets). Allah's (SWT) laws regulate our actions, guide us from deviating and enacts punishments for those who err. To this end we have the Quran and Hadith for laws and guidance. The emphasis on what the early generation did or did not do, without basis in the Quran and Hadith, is a bid'ah if taken to the extreme. The actions of the early generation was governed by Islam as well as by their cultural ethos, so extrapolation of what was outside their experience should not be farcically interpreted negatively because they never could have imagined nor experienced it.

Now to the opinion which i think the OP lifted from this sitesite without attribution.

my Analysis:

Jummah Mubarak is a form of greeting in Arabic and we know from Saheeh Bukhari:

Volume 7, Book 62, Number 104:
Narrated Al-Bara' bin 'Azib:

The Prophet ordered us to do seven (things) and forbade us from seven. He ordered us to visit the patients, to follow the funeral procession, to reply to the sneezer (i.e., say to him, 'Yarhamuka-l-lah (May Allah bestow His Mercy upon you), if he says 'Al-hamdulillah' (Praise be to Allah), to help others to fulfill their oaths, to help the oppressed, to greet (whomever one should meet), and to accept the invitation (to a wedding banquet). He forbade us to wear golden rings, to use silver utensils, to use Mayathir (cushions of silk stuffed with cotton and placed under the rider on the saddle), the Qasiyya (linen clothes containing silk brought from an Egyptian town), the Istibraq (thick silk) and the Dibaj (another kind of silk). (See Hadith No. 539 and 753).

Volume 7, Book 70, Number 553:
Narrated Al-Bara bin Azib:

Allah's Apostle ordered us to do seven things and forbade us to do seven other things. He forbade us to wear gold rings, silk, Dibaj, Istabriq, Qissy, and Maithara; and ordered us to accompany funeral processions, visit the sick and greet everybody. (See Hadith No. 104)

And from Saheeh Muslim:

Book 026, Number 5374:

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The rider should first greet the pedestrian, and the pedestrian the one who is seated and a small group should greet a larger group (with as-Salam-u-'Alaikum).

We thus agree that Muslims are required to exchange greetings. The contention of the sheiks were that the Salam (As-Salam-u-'Alaikum) was the approved form of greeting, that Friday is an eid and it was not the action (custom) of the early generation to express such Jummah mubarak greeting on that day.

The questions now are: Is doing so bad? Does doing so decrease Iman? Is doing so a good or bad deed? Does doing so violate any known law in Islam? Does doing so divide the Ummah or bring it together? Does doing so bring the Ummah to disrepute or impugn, debase or desecrate any tenet in Islam? Does Allah (SWT) forbid (haram) doing so?

I believe the answers to this questions are obvious. Thus, Allah (SWT) has made the world wholesome for His Ummah excepting what He and His messenger (SAW) has ordered us to refrain from. Society will always evolve and new habits and trends will arise. Evaluating them from the view of the early generations is a retrogressive habit of most sheiks which is (to my opinion) responsible for the morass Muslims face in this age and time. Rather a conscientious body of rules on how this impact on the Ummah and how we may adapt it (Islamize it i.e. reject or accept) or we adapt to it (e.g. new scientific discoveries or health treatments) is pertinent for Allah (SWT) has not and did not place restrictions on our development. If he did we would still be living in the 3rd century and not have to deal with issues like: Is the greeting Jummah Mubarak halal?

Allah (SWT) knows best.

(1) (Reply)

Happy Palm Sunday!!! / Open Heaven Daily Devotional,monday 17th April,2017 / If The Lord God Almighty Is Good, Why Does He Allow Evil And Injustice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.