Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,850 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

20 Years Later : A Retrospective Of 1990's Rap Music - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 20 Years Later : A Retrospective Of 1990's Rap Music (720 Views)

I Am The First Nigerian Artiste To Make Money From Rap Music - Ruggedman / Recommend A Hardcore Rap Music For Me / Rap Music Is Horrible. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Years Later : A Retrospective Of 1990's Rap Music by tundewoods(m): 5:33pm On Dec 25, 2009
How time flies,2010 is fast approaching and  was going through my old suff and i bumped into my first copy of Black Beat Magazine i got back in 1990 for 2 Naira. LOL ! flipping through it brought back the memories of what we listened to back in secondary school when Naija rap was yet to even evolve.

These were the rap albums that shaped 1990 back then.

9. EPMD - Business As Usual
Business as usual? EPMD's third entry was anything but. The classic soul production that blessed their first two had evolved into frenetic blasts of funk, the rhymes had grown increasingly confrontational.

8. Brand Nubian - One for All
On their debut album, Grand Puba, Sadat X, Lord Jamar, and DJ Alamo brought political commentary and spirituality to the forefront, excelling with sensible tunes like "Slow Down" and "Wake Up."

7. Gang Starr - Step in the Arena
Virtually fresh on the scene, Guru and DJ Premier quickly stood out from their peers by meshing thoughtful lyrics with snazzy, sample-heavy tracks.

6. LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
After dropping two mediocre albums back-to-back, Cool J decided to heed his grandmother's instruction to knock his critics straight to the curb.

5. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Wanted: Dead or Alive
G Rap diversified his rhymes to include a much-needed discussion on racial divisiveness and personal responsibility.

4. A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
Through their honest and introspective rhymes, Tribe appealed to America's urban youth on their debut album.

3. Eric B. & Rakim - Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em
These two made plenty of classics together, but none ever matched the intricately stitched expressionism on Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em.

2. Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Following a bitter split from N.W.A., Ice Cube filled his debut album with dark stories of manic frustration.

1. Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
That Fear of a Black Planet was not PE's best work but still managed to eclipse 99% of everything out at the time is a testament to the group's impact on 90s hip-hop. Dark, incendiary, and inevitably brutal, Fear gave yield to classics like "911 Is a Joke" and "Who Stole the Soul.

Now i look back and laugh cos next years its going to be exactly 20 years ago and a whole new kingdom of rap kings  and princes have emerged . I think i will try getting the original LPs of these cats and keep then for posterity sake .Because back them despoil music was damn good !

Probably jam them during my kids next birthday parties. cool   
Re: 20 Years Later : A Retrospective Of 1990's Rap Music by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 28, 2009
Dude,
You just succeeded in giving me a breakout of goose-bumps.
Tha Sh*t you just dropped is CLASSIC.
Bangers from back in the day.
Way off from what we have today.
Re: 20 Years Later : A Retrospective Of 1990's Rap Music by Nobody: 3:01pm On Dec 28, 2009
Which kind mod be dis?
Eastbay:

Dude,
You just succeeded in giving me a breakout of goose-bumps.
Tha excreta Sh$t you just dropped is CLASSIC.
Way off from what we have today.
I insist on that word.
I have rights grin
Re: 20 Years Later : A Retrospective Of 1990's Rap Music by tundewoods(m): 11:40am On Dec 29, 2009
Eastbay:

Which kind mod be dis?I insist on that word.
I have rights grin

Yea,we all got rights  grin
I agree with you that
Way off from what we have today

I can never stop getting high on the tribe called quest's :+ People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm :

Do you remember their "Can I Kick It" famous rap verses :

Those were dem' days
[Q-Tip]
Can I kick it? (Yes, you can!) *7X*
Well, I'm gone (Go on then!)
Can I kick it? To all the people who can Quest like A Tribe does
Before this, did you really know what live was?
Comprehend to the track, for it's why cuz
Gettin measures on the tip of the vibers
Rock and roll to the beat of the funk fuzz
Wipe your feet really good on the rhythm rug
If you feel the urge to freak, do the jitterbug
Come and spread your arms if you really need a hug
Afrocentric living is a big shrug

A life filled with *HORN* that's what I love
A lower plateau is what we're above
If you diss us, we won't even think of
Will Nipper the doggy give a big shove?
This rhythm really fits like a snug glove
Like a box of positives is a plus, love
As the Tribe flies high like a dove

[Phife Dawg]
Can I kick it? (Yes, you can!) *7X*
Well, I'm gone (Go on then!)
Can I kick it? To my Tribe that flows in layers
Right now, Phife is a poem sayer
At times, I'm a studio conveyor
Mr. Dinkins, would you please be my mayor?
You'll be doing us a really big favor
Boy this track really has a lot of flavor
When it comes to rhythms, Quest is your savior
Follow us for the funky behavior

Make a note on the rhythm we gave ya
Feel free, drop your pants, check your ha-ir
Do you like the garments that we wear?
I instruct you to be the obeyer
A rhythm recipe that you'll savor
Doesn't matter if you're minor or major

Yes, the Tribe of the game, rhythm player
As you inhale like a breath of fresh air

(1) (Reply)

New Gospel Artist: Jossy Kaakaki In His Song Title:give E / Good Food / Do You Remember Yeka? The Idol Winner--she Has A New Single; Follow You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.