Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Seven Spirits Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Seven Spirits Of God? (6155 Views)

Alert: Spirits Of Sodom & Gomorrah Have Been Poured Out. Rapture Is Imminent. / Conquering Marine Spirits. / Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seven Spirits Of God? by TuCow: 2:35pm On Dec 26, 2009
" And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven spirits of God" Rev 4:5

Ok. Here's where I get confused.

I 've always been taught that God has only one spirit, which is the Holy Spirit and that God the Father=God the Son=God the Holy Spirit.

What then are these Seven Spirits of God?

Is Holy Spirit one of the Seven Spirits? or are they all equal to one another?

If God the Father=God the Holy Spirit, does it mean there are like seven sub-units of the Holy Spirit?

How does this stack up against the doctrine of the Trinity?
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by PastorAIO: 3:16pm On Dec 26, 2009

< Proverbs 9 >
King James Bible
1 Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:

These seven metals were:

(1) Gold (ca) 6000BC

(2) Copper,(ca) 4200BC

(3) Silver,(ca) 4000BC

(4) Lead, (ca) 3500BC

(5) Tin, (ca) 1750BC

(6) Iron,smelted, (ca) 1500BC

(7) Mercury, (ca) 750BC

These metals were known to the Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Greeks and the Romans. Of the seven metals, five can be found in their native states, e.g., gold, silver, copper, iron (from meteors) and mercury.

Planetary metals were "dominated" or "ruled" by one of the seven planets known by the ancients. Although they occasionally have a symbol of their own (denoted by alsosmiley, they were usually symbolized by the planet's symbol.
Gold dominated by Sol ☉ ☼ (  )
Silver dominated by Luna ☽ (  )
Copper dominated by Venus ♀ (also:  )
Iron dominated by Mars ♂ (  )
Tin dominated by Jupiter ♃ (  )
Mercury (quicksilver) dominated by Mercury ☿ (  )
Lead dominated by Saturn ♄ (  )

Most Latin-based languages connect each day of the week with one of the seven "planets" of the ancient times: Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. French, for example, uses:
English French "Planet"
Monday lundi Moon
Tuesday mardi Mars
Wednesday mercredi Mercury
Thursday jeudi Jupiter
Friday vendredi Venus
Saturday samedi Saturn
Sunday dimanche (Sun)
Some have claimed that the dance of the seven veils has its roots in an ancient myth about the Sumerian goddess Inanna or the Babylonian goddess Ishtar. In this myth, the goddess descends into the underworld and must pass through seven gates on her journey, at each of which she must surrender a piece of jewelry or a symbol of her royalty. The number seven was significant to the ancients, as it is the number of heavenly bodies visible to the naked eye without a telescope: Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter. Therefore, there are seven major gods in many ancient religions, and the number seven appears in many myths and classification systems.

Modern day mystics see the dance of the seven veils and the story of Inanna's descent as a metaphor for enlightenment, shedding "veils" of illusion on the path to deeper spirituality of self-realization. The idea of "the seven veils of mystical experience" actually predates Wilde's play. These "seven veils" are, in order, Dreams, Reason, Passion, Bliss, Courage, Compassion, and Knowledge.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-dance-of-the-seven-veils.htm
The Dance of the Seven Veils is also thought to have originated with the myth of the goddess Ishtar and the god Tammuz of Assyrian and Babylonian lore. In this myth, Ishtar decides to visit her sister, Ereshkigal, in the underworld. When Ishtar approaches the gates of the underworld, the gatekeeper lets Ishtar pass through the seven gates, opening one gate at a time. At each gate, Ishtar has to shed an article of clothing. When she finally passes the seventh gate, she is naked. In a rage, Ishtar throws herself at Ereshkigal, goddess of the underworld; but Ereshkigal orders her servant Namtar to imprison Ishtar and unleash sixty diseases against her. After Ishtar descends to the underworld, all sexual activity ceases on earth. Papsukkal, the messenger-god, reports the situation to Ea, king of the gods. Ea creates a eunuch called Asu-shu-namir and sends him to Ereshkigal, telling him to invoke "the name of the great gods" against her and to ask for the bag containing the waters of life. Ereshkigal, having promised to grant Asu-shu-namir's wish, is enraged when she hears the demand, but she has to give him the water of life. Asu-shu-namir sprinkles Ishtar with this water, reviving her. Then Ishtar passes back through the seven gates, getting one article of clothing back at each gate, and is fully clothed as she exits the last gate. Her release is, however, granted only under the condition that she find someone to replace her in the underworld. Tammuz, Ishtar's husband, has been making merry while she has been dead, and so the goddess sends Tammuz to Ereshkigal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_of_the_seven_veils
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by DeepSight(m): 3:35pm On Dec 26, 2009
pastor!!!
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:02pm On Dec 26, 2009
TuCow:

" And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven spirits of God" Rev 4:5

I 've always been taught that God has only one spirit, which is the Holy Spirit and that God the Father=God the Son=God the Holy Spirit.

What then are these Seven Spirits of God?

Is Holy Spirit one of the Seven Spirits? or are they all equal to one another?

If God the Father=God the Holy Spirit, does it mean there are like seven sub-units of the Holy Spirit?

How does this stack up against the doctrine of the Trinity?

The Seven Spirits

And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God (Revelation 4:5).

These seven Spirits of God at His throne are also mentioned in Revelation 1:4; 3:1; and 5:6, where they are further called the seven eyes of the Lamb.  Although angels are called ministering spirits (Hebrews 1:14), they apparently are always called angels in Revelation, so it seems likely that these seven Spirits of God actually refer to a seven-fold descriptive manifestation of the character of God’s Holy Spirit, “sent forth into all the earth” (Revelation 5:6).

There are, in fact, seven such designations recorded in the earlier books of the New Testament.  These are as follows:

1.Spirit of Truth.  When He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth (John 16:13).

2.Spirit of Holiness. Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord . . . declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the Spirit of holiness (Romans 1:3,4).

3.Spirit of Faith.  We having the same Spirit of faith . . . believe, and therefore speak (II Corinthians 4:13).

4.Spirit of Wisdom.  That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . may give unto you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him (Ephesians 1:17).

5.Spirit of Power.  For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (II Timothy 1:7).

6.Spirit of Grace.  Of how much sorer punishment . . . shall he be thought worthy, who . . . hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?” (Hebrews 10:29).

7.Spirit of Glory.  If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, . . . the Spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you (I Peter 4:14). HMM

Spend more time in the nairaland e-christian fellowship thread to learn gems in the word of God so that you will not be tossed to and fro.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by viaro: 4:25pm On Dec 26, 2009
TuCow:

There's no need to get confused; it might be because you didn't see that the verse you quoted was speaking symbolically and does not necessarily give us reason to conclude that God has seven Spirits in literal terms.

Let's look at the verse again:

So there, Rev. 4:5 explains that the seven spirits of God are the seven lamps of fire burning before the throne. In just the same way, Rev. 5:6 says that the "seven horns and seven eyes" are the seven spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. These are symbolic language describing elements of the Kingdom of God in redemption and divine governance.

Let's try and think about some of them:

Revelation 5:6 mentions 'seven eyes and seven horns'. We understand that the number seven is often spoken of as indicating perfection; and here eyes would be indicative of knowledge (as in searching and seeing things for what they truly are - Hab. 1:13).

Of horn, we often think in terms of power and dominion. Habbakuk 3:4 presents this beautifully in the same symbolic manner (rather than in a literal sense) when the prophet declares: '. . He [God] had horns coming out of His hand: and there was the hiding of His power.' It is not always that horn is indicative of power and dominion in Scripture; but one has to look closely at the connection to see the two important things here: (a0 that these verses are not speaking in litearl terms of identities (otherwise we might be saying that horns are coming out of his hand); and (b) that in the context would help identify what is being spoken about.

In so far as the verses indicate in Revelation, it was not to make us think of seven different spirist in literal amounts; rather, the context is descriptive - all the more so, since what is mentioned is explained ('seven lamps of fire' or 'seven horns' or 'seven eyes', etc).
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 26, 2009
This is what happens when people have incomplete bibles.

The seven spirits of God actually refers to the seven arch angels that stand in the presence of God.

In the book of tobit that was removed from the bible for political reasons.The Arch angel Raphael told tobit and his son " I am Raphael one of the seven angels that stand in the presence of God".

Also in the book of Revelation 8:3 John said I saw the seven angels who stand in the presence of God"

Considering the fact that the book of tobit was writen before the book of revelation does not cofirm the authenticity of the book ?

Also in the gospel of luke The arc angel gabriel tolg Zechariah,"I am Gabriel I stand in God's presence.

It is confirmed that there are 7 arch angels ,but only 3 were named in the canonical books Micheal,Gabriel and Raphael.

Others like Uriel,Jeremiel,sealtiel were mentioned in noncanonical books of enoch,esdras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archangel
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by PastorAIO: 6:08pm On Dec 26, 2009
chukwudi44:

The seven spirits of God actually refers to the seven arch angels that stand in the presence of God.

In the book of tobit that was removed from the bible for political reasons.The Arch angel Raphael told tobit and his son " I am Raphael one of the seven angels that stand in the presence of God".

Also in the book of Revelation 8:3 John said I saw the seven angels who stand in the presence of God"

Considering the fact that the book of tobit was writen before the book of revelation does not cofirm the authenticity of the book ?

Also in the gospel of luke The arc angel gabriel tolg Zechariah,"I am Gabriel I stand in God's presence.

It is confirmed that there are 7 arch angels ,but only 3 were named in the canonical books Micheal,Gabriel and Raphael.

Others like Uriel,Jeremiel,sealtiel were mentioned in noncanonical books of enoch,esdras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archangel

Very correctomondo. I remember my sister causing alarm when we were younger because he met with a Cele man who told her that Raphael was protecting her. My brother retorted that she should reject it because Raphael was a demon from Satan and not an angel of God. Lol!
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by viaro: 6:22pm On Dec 26, 2009
chukwudi44:

Huh?! undecided

Huh? huh?? undecided

That was supposed to be verse 2 in our 'incomplete' Bibles - 'I saw the seven angels which stood before God'; but that is not to be confused for the seven spirits of God spoken in those verses already cited. These are a few reasons why so:

(a) none of the angels in Revelation 4:5 and 5:6 is said to be the 'seven lamps of fire burning before the throne' or ''seven eyes and seven horns''; angels in Biblical hermeneutics and eschatology are not described this way.

(b) there are more than seven angels who stand in God's presence - the prophets of the OT declared this in no uncertain terms: 'And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left'  (1 Kings 22:19); and 'The chariots of God are twenty thousand, even thousands of angels: the Lord is among them, as in Sinai, in the holy place.' (Psa. 68:17).

(c) the mention of seven angels in Revelation is not connnected with 'eyes' or 'horns' or 'lamps'; but rather, they are connected with other things, especially having to do with the sounding of seven trumpets (Rev. 8:6).
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 26, 2009
@viaro

There are millions of angels but only 7 arch angels.

The acounts of tobit and revelation were specific

I saw the seven angels who stand in the presence of God"

I am Raphael one of the seven angels that stand in the presence of God".

The number of angels were specific .These were written over a period of about 8 centuries
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by viaro: 7:48pm On Dec 26, 2009
chukwudi44:

@viaro

There are millions of angels but only 7 arch angels.

That is not the issue, for indeed I know that there are numerous angels even though no one is able to say for certainty how many 'archangels' there are. In Catholicism, most prefer the number seven; but in other branches within Christendom such as the Eastern Orthodox Church, adherents mention "thousands of archangels", although, like in general Catholic theology only seven of these thousands of archangels are venerated by name (see Wikipedia's note).

Other sources list names of archangels far outnumbering the seven in traditional Catholic theology. Besides providing the link, here's a list of such names that not many people are familiar with:

[list][li]1. Michael[/li]
[li]2. Gabriel[/li]
[li]3. Raphael[/li]
[li]4. Uriel[/li]
[li]5. Chamuel[/li]
[li]6. Jophiel (or Jofiel, Yofiel)[/li]
[li]7. Zadkiel (or Hesediel)[/li]
[li]8. Anael (or Hanael)[/li]
[li]9. Ariel (or Ariael)[/li]
[li]10. Cassiel[/li]
[li]11. Chayyiel[/li]
[li]12. Galgaliel[/li]
[li]13. Jehoel[/li]
[li]14. Metatron[/li]
[li]15. Zerachiel[/li]
[li]16. Yefefiah[/li][/list]

We cannot hold on too tightly to the idea of seven archangels as the only number of such who stand in God's presence, especially where other sources recognize far more than that number. Check the list above whenever you can and see the point for yourself.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 27, 2009
@viaro

Idid not write the book of tobit or the boomk of revelation.It is what we find in the bible that we should beleive not what anyother person says.

John and Tobit were explicit in their writings

I know the arch angels are not the only angels in heaven but as the scripture rightly says there are seven in no.

Others might have other names,which might be one of those mentioned.

Those confirmed as arch angels in the catholic church are just three; Micheal,Gabriel and Raphael.But I know that Uriel and Jeremiel are also arch angels because there were so described in the non-canonical books of 2Esdras and enoch
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by Marlbron: 12:21am On Dec 28, 2009
Interesting topic. And I admire your candid post asking for answers. I think posters who reply to you should understand that they can only give their own perspective, not deride the perspective of others. My take is that

God = Spirit = (controller of all spirits)

Spirit = Angels

So you are almost all correct in your assertions.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by viaro: 12:55am On Dec 28, 2009
chukwudi44:

@viaro

Idid not write the book of tobit or the boomk of revelation.It is what we find in the bible that we should beleive not what anyother person says.

If you notice, my initial replies were from the Bible; it was when you made reference to extra-biblical subjects that I likewise responded to show that you were counting them wrong. I also noted the distinctions between Catholic tradition and other traditions within Christendom - that was why I give a few names of archangels and implored that you go check them out in your spare time.

Please also noted the distinctions between angels, archangels and the spirits. It was not just 'angels' in some Christian traditions that I listed; but rather those who are regarded as 'archangels'. Within the Bible, we have seen that angels in God's presence number into the thoudands (Psa. 68:17), while other sources give more than seven archangels who stand in God's presence.

Notice further, that your reference to other names are said to be from "non-canonical books"
Those confirmed as arch angels in the catholic church are just three; Micheal,Gabriel and Raphael.But I know that Uriel and Jeremiel are also arch angels because there were so described in the non-canonical books of 2Esdras and enoch
- and that was what drew me to proffer the list of names of those archangels from other reference known in the Christian and Biblical world.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by PastorAIO: 1:53am On Dec 28, 2009
What is a malaika?
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by olabowale(m): 2:06am On Dec 28, 2009
PAstor oooooooo. You probably put sandy salt on the open sore of Olaadegbu in the 7 things you listed!

Okay, Malaika is Angel. Malaika is arabic word.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by PastorAIO: 10:59am On Dec 28, 2009
Does the word Angel, Malaika, malakh (in hebrew) not simply mean messenger. If I send my cousin to go and buy milk in the shop has he not become my angel, my malaika.

I think it is worth making a distinction between the notion of angel simply as a messenger and Angel as a species of creation. There are many species that can be used as angels, amongst them cherubims, seraphims and also humans.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 28, 2009
@viaro

(Psa. 68:17), while other sources give more than seven archangels who stand in God's presence

It is either 7 arch angels otherwise John and Tobit will become liars.

Please psalm 68:17 was not talking about arch angels and did not contradict tobit 12:15 and Rev 8:2

Psalm 68:17 The chariots of God are tens of thousands
and thousands of thousands;
the Lord has come from Sinai into his sanctuary
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by viaro: 9:01pm On Dec 28, 2009
chukwudi44:

@viaro

It is either 7 arch angels otherwise John and Tobit will become liars.

I did not make them liars; and I did not read John mention archangels in those verses. Would you like to show where John mentioned archangels in those verses?

Please psalm 68:17 was not talking about arch angels and did not contradict tobit 12:15 and Rev 8:2

The chariots are understood to be a descriptive term for angels as the hosts of the LORD - and in that sense, Psalm 68:17 is translated as was quoted from the KJV earlier. John in Revelation 8:2 did not speak of archangels - please read it carefully.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by ancel(m): 10:19pm On Dec 28, 2009
Talking about Jesus Christ, I found this verse
Isa 11:2  And the spirit of the LORD1 shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom2 and understanding3, the spirit of counsel4 and might5, the spirit of knowledge6 and of the fear of the LORD7;

The SEVEN spirits are not seven numerically, it illustrates seven (a "perfected" number, as Pastor AIO has inferred) attributes of God's Spirit. I will not be amazed if indeed there are 7 archangels, each one dimensioned to deal with one of those attributes in relation to mankind, but I do not really know. And I don't care.  undecided undecided undecided
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:42pm On Dec 29, 2009
Concerning the number of angels round about the throne of God.

Ten Thousand

"And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands." (Revelation 5:11)

The number of God's holy angels is truly "innumerable" (Hebrews 12:22).  John "beheld" so many angels at God's throne that he could not attempt to count them, but simply tried to express their immense multitudes by saying there were "myriads of myriads" and "chiliads of chiliads" (in New Testament Greek, a "chiliad" was the arithmetical term for "thousand" and "myriad" for "ten thousand," but both terms were often used to mean merely a great number).

The same Greek word occurs in Jude, verse 14: "Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints." These "holy ones" may also be angels, but it is even more likely (in view of 1 Thessalonians 3:13, Revelation 19:8-14, and other Scriptures) that these are redeemed men and women whose spirits had gone to be with Christ when they died in previous generations (Philippians 1:21-23; 1 Corinthians 5:8.

A parallel usage occurs in the Old Testament where the Hebrew word rbabah can mean either "ten thousand," specifically, or merely a very great number.  It first occurs in God's great promise to Israel, conditioned upon their faithfulness to Him: "And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight" (Leviticus 26:8--a promise more than literally fulfilled, for example, when Gideon's 300 men routed a Midianite army of 135,000 (Judges 7:6, 8:10).

But, whether speaking of the armies of faithful Israel, the redeemed of all the ages, or the great host of angels in heaven, the greatest superlatives must apply to Christ Himself, for He is "the chiefest among ten thousand. . . . he is altogether lovely" (Song of Solomon 5:10-16).  HMM
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 29, 2009
The chariots are understood to be a descriptive term for angels as the hosts of the LORD - and in that sense, Psalm 68:17 is translated as was quoted from the KJV earlier. John in Revelation 8:2 did not speak of archangels - please read it carefully.

There is no in the bible where chariots of fire are used to describe angels,and psalm 68:17 was definitely not talking about angels.

Rev chapter actually mentions the seven spirits in front of his thron e,though it did not use the word angels,we all know that angels are spirits.

@Oladeegbu

No one is saying the angels in who stand in the presence of God are the only ones in heaven .We alll know from the scriptures that there are millions of angels in heaven.But two bible passages made it explicitly ckear that there are 7 major angels who stand in the presence of God.

tobit 12 :15

Revv 8:2

These verses made it explicitly clear that there are seven agels who stand in od's presence.

also in the first chapter of luke the angel gariel tell's zechariah.

I am Gabriel ,I stand in God's presence.From the foregoing Raphael and Gabriel are obviously part of the seven.

John and Tobit made use of the word seven,there did not say we saw millions of angels who stand in God's presence
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by mamagee3(f): 7:45pm On Dec 29, 2009
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by viaro: 8:09pm On Dec 29, 2009
chukwudi44:

There is no in the bible where chariots of fire are used to describe angels,and psalm 68:17 was definitely not talking about angels.

Okay, please tell me what Psalm 68:17 is talking about. Don't just deny it, take one step further to provide reasonable answers.

Rev chapter actually mentions the seven spirits in front of his thron e,though it did not use the word angels,we all know that angels are spirits.

I know that angels are spirits - Hebrews 1:14. But the Bible nowhere confuses angels for archangels. When the Bible uses the latter term in referring to specific angels, it does so in unmistaken language, such as: 'archangel' (1 Thes. 4:16 and Jude 1:9), 'the chief princes' (Daniel 10:13), 'principality and power' (Colossians 2:10), or 'authorities and powers' (1 Peter 3:22).

It is interesting that you will find in the last reference above (1 Peter 3:22), the distinctions are given - 'angels and authorities and powers'. . . all these are referring to angels but in their distinctions according to their glory and divine hierarchies. We know that these 'angels and authorities and powers' are also spirit beings; and it is peculiar that in Daniel 9:21 the angel Gabriel is called a man.

However, just because Revelation 8:2 mentions 'the seven angels which stood before God', we should not therefore twist that to mean that there are only seven archangels who stand in God's presence. As shown earlier, the Bible notes that there are many more angels that stand in God's presence beholding the face of God - Matthew 18:10 makes that point so very clear.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 29, 2009
@viaro

The bible makes it clear that there are only seven angels who stand in God's presence period.Have you ever gone to heaven to see if what Raphal and John said are false.The statement did not originate from me and there were explicit enough.

One is someone who is in heaven and the other is from an apostle who was shown a vision.If you have seen a contrary vision or seen any ancient scrolls or writings which contradict their accounts please let us know.

Psalm 68:17 was definitely not talking abot angels as angels are not chariots of fire.

t the Bible nowhere confuses angels for archangels.
are you now trying to say that arch angels are not angels.

whether arch angels or not ,the bible made it clear that there are only seven angels who stand in God's presence
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by AbuZola3(m): 8:31pm On Dec 29, 2009
Lmao, another confussion amidst the children of the holy shit
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by viaro: 8:43pm On Dec 29, 2009
chukwudi44:

@viaro

The bible makes it clear that there are only seven angels who stand in God's presence period.

That's false. The Bible mentions seven angels in God's presence in Revelation 8:2; but other verses tell us there are many more angels who stand in God's presence. That same Revelation 8 does not tell us that those angels are 'archangels', and to make it sound like what it does not say is forcing a lie into that text.

Meanwhile, did you notice that in that same Revelation 8 there is yet another angel - bringing the number to eight? Read it for yourself and see. Why does the Catholic Church not also name this eighth angel as an archangel in that same chapter? Do you notice the prominent role of this eighth angel? Simple: NONE of the other angels could do anything UNTIL the eighth angel had taken the censer, filled it with fire of the altar, and cast it into the earth (verse 5).

Just because you read angels in God's presence does not mean you should just turn round and twist it to mean 'archangels' as if other angels do not stand in God's presence as well. Tradition is a very dangerous thing if the job it does is to calsify our thinking so that we refuse to look at the verses we are discussing!

Look through Scripture - and you will find that there are numerous angels who stand in God's presence! There are far more than seven; even though Catholic tradition (for reasons best known to them) would recognize only seven - divided into 3 main ones and four (or five) others. But you ought to understand that if Catholic tradition is wrong, it is quite simply wrong - and there is nothing you can do to give that wrong Catholic teaching a face lift.

This is why I requested you try and explain Psalm 68:17 about chariots. The moment you study that verse and try to see what it means, you will shock yourself and retract many of your arguments!

Shalom.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by ancel(m): 11:50pm On Dec 29, 2009
Viaro, you're spot on. Please apart from Psalm 68:17, let Chukwudi44 explain away Deut 33:2, 2 Kings 6;17 and Daniel 7:10 as well.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by TrueSeeker(m): 2:54pm On Dec 30, 2009
“And there are seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, and these mean the seven spirits of God. And before the throne there is, as it were, a glassy sea like crystal.” (Revelation 4:5b, 6a) John himself tells us the significance of the seven lamps: “These mean the seven spirits of God.” The number seven symbolizes divine completeness; so the seven lamps represent the fullness of the enlightening force of the holy spirit.

As for the issue of arch-angel it is only one archangel that Bible refer to, and that is Michael the Archangel.

God does not want us to worship angels that is more reason that only two angels were identified with name in the Bible, Michael and Gabriel.

If arch means chief, most important or leader then it is logical that we have just one archangel, meaning leader of angels. Read Jude 9.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by viaro: 3:16pm On Dec 30, 2009
I enjoyed yours, TrueSeeeker. . . thanks so much.

However, please let me point out something that needs balance:

TrueSeeker:

As for the issue of arch-angel it is only one archangel that Bible refer to, and that is Michael the Archangel.

It might be better to say that the Bible refers to one archangel by name (ie., Michael); but it is understood that there are several archangels indicated in the Bible. How many they are exactly, we don't know - but we could infer that there are several archangels because of the other ways that they are desribed , as you had tried to point out:

If arch means chief, most important or leader then it is logical that we have just one archangel, meaning leader of angels. Read Jude 9.

Indeed, 'arch' is taken to sometimes mean 'chief' (and 'prince'). In this regard, there are several 'princes' who are understandably angelic beings. This is why we read Gabriel in Daniel 10:13 referring to the same Michael as 'one of the chief princes' - language that indicates that there are other 'chief princes' and Michael is only one among them. I hope this helps?
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by viaro: 3:19pm On Dec 30, 2009
ancel:

Viaro, you're spot on. Please apart from Psalm 68:17, let Chukwudi44 explain away Deut 33:2, 2 Kings 6;17 and Daniel 7:10 as well.

Thanks, ancel - you added to my understanding with those verses.

Which reminds me: chukwudi44, when next you reply, please tell me what you understand by a cherub/cherubim. That would greatly help, thank you.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by ancel(m): 5:29pm On Dec 30, 2009
Thanks, viaro. And you were right in your response to TrueSeeker, Michael is ONE of the archangels. God is multidimensional beyond all comprehension, so in EACH of the spheres that interact with the human experience, it can only be expected that there will be a multitude of angels detailed to carry out instructions, and they will be under command of ONE archangel who will be the team lead.

Dan 10:13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me for twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief [of the celestial] princes, came to help me, for I remained there with the kings of Persia.

This archangel is a warrior.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud cry of summons, with the shout of an archangel, and with the blast of the trumpet of God. And those who have departed this life in Christ will rise first.
This archangel is a harbinger.

So the number of archangels, I believe, will be the number of spheres of interaction of God and Man. How many are those?

And as for the verses I initially mentioned:
Deu 33:2 He said, The Lord came from Sinai and beamed upon us from Seir; He flashed forth from Mount Paran, from among ten thousands of holy ones, a flaming fire, a law, at His right hand.

2Ki 6:17 Then Elisha prayed, Lord, I pray You, open his eyes that he may see. And the Lord opened the young man's eyes, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Dan 7:10 A stream of fire came forth from before Him; a thousand thousands ministered to Him and ten thousand times ten thousand rose up and stood before Him; the Judge was seated [the court was in session] and the books were opened.

If you notice, everywhere that the "chariots of fire" and "streams of fire" are mentioned, it is a human being who is seeing it that way. Then I can say the aura of the angels is obvious to the human eye as a flame, and Dan 7:10, Deut 33:2 makes it obvious that this "flame", this river of fire, issues outward from God, to do his bidding.
Re: Seven Spirits Of God? by temidayo27: 2:04pm On Dec 31, 2009
the seven spirits of God doesnt mean seven personalities, neither does it talk about angels,  they are simply the dimensions through which the spirit of God manifests Himself: spirit of power, spirit of wisdom, spirit of understanding,spirit of the fear of God, spirit of might, spirit of counsel, spirit of knowledge. for a better understanding get the book by oyakilome on the seven spirit of God or oyedepo's book on the triumphant church.
God bless you all

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Using The Fear Of Hell / Scriptural Proof God Wants Us Wealthy. / God's Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.