Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,768 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants (800 Views)

Gas Shortage: Blackout Looms Nationwide As Gencos Cut Generation / Electricity Workers Begin Nationwide Strike, Blackout Looms / Blackout Looms As Gencos Threaten Shutdown Over Charge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by Kemperor: 8:52pm On Apr 02, 2017
Electricity Generation Companies (GenCos) says they have not been paid for their services by the Nigeria Electricity Bulk Trader in the last three months and as a result are ready to grind everything to a halt.

The situation of unsettled invoices would spell doom for the economy as operators were already considering shutting down their plants across Nigeria

According to Sunday Vanguard in Abuja, the situation of unsettled invoices would spell doom for the economy as operators were already considering shutting down their plants across Nigeria.

A source also told Vanguard that: “GenCos have not been paid a dime since the beginning of this year. Our invoices for power delivered in January, February and March have not been settled. The situation is very terrible and has become unbearable.

“To produce power, deliver to the grid and without payment has been our experience since the beginning of 2017 and we are grinding to a halt. We just can’t continue like this.”

NAIJ.com however learnt that the presidency was aware of the development the GenCos had written the National Security Adviser on the implications of their shutting down and that even after meeting with the NSA, the situation largely remained unchanged.

The source further revealed that he is being owed N57 billion from an accumulated arrears since 2013 while insisting that the last time the company was paid for its services was in December 2016 when it got N1.6 out of a N5.4 billion invoice for that month.

However, when contacted, Henrietta Ighomrore, the spokesperson for the NEBT said GenCos are paid for electricity generated and put on the grid based on money collected from the Distribution Companies (DisCos), explaining that her organization does not keep such funds once paid by DisCos.

She insited that DisCos paid for the electricity they received in the month of January only last week and that arrangements were on to pay the GenCos shortly.

Meanwhile, a Nigerian engineer, Obayagbona Emmanuel Imafidon, has revealed that he has invented a power-generating device that can solve the problem power outage in the country.

In an interview with Guardian, the graduate of Electrical Engineering from the Institute of Management and Technology in Enugu said he could generate power from thunder lightning and that he has been working on it since 2006.

Meanwhile, in this video by NAIJ.com, a man harshly criticizes the Nigerian government while calling for their mass burial.

https://www.naij.com/1097210-we-grinding-electricity-supply-a-halt-nigeria-gencos.html
Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by Israeljones(m): 8:55pm On Apr 02, 2017
which kin blackout again...
dem no use big deek scare old woman ooo...
.. shey the black out wey we don dey since abi the new version on playstore..
rubbish..
Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by Cekpo34(m): 9:06pm On Apr 02, 2017
I haven't "tasted" light since August last year. They generate thousands as revenue from my enclave yet, they can't provide us a transformer. After the one we contributed money to buy got damaged again (maybe due to load) everyone has lost interest in contributing again grin
Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by CriticMaestro: 9:08pm On Apr 02, 2017
one negative factor of privatization
Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by Ohammadike: 9:14pm On Apr 02, 2017
Remember when the dullard promised 20000mw in four years and his change screaming zombies bought it.

Two years letter 10 mw is yet to be added and we are being threatened with blackout

Useless old fool

2 Likes

Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by Femillionairee(m): 9:15pm On Apr 02, 2017
Visit http://femillionairee.com for great articles that address life issues. You will be glad you did. Thanks.
Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by imam07: 9:25pm On Apr 02, 2017
Since i was born,i have never heard positive news about NEPA or phcn. It is everytime we hear blackout looms, blackout this blackout that. I pity this country.

1 Like

Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by simonlee(m): 9:30pm On Apr 02, 2017
I'm tired of hearing bad news already. What have we done to deserve Buhari... God forgive us. 2019 is coming
Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by EazyMoh(m): 9:33pm On Apr 02, 2017
Nigeria power sector as constituted today is one of the most complex aspects of Nigeria problems. This unfortunately can be traced to the shady unbundling and privatization of the sector.
The discos need to at least quadruple the cost of electricity to consumers, and aggressive payment collections.
Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by dunkem21(m): 9:36pm On Apr 02, 2017
sad
Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by Nobody: 10:07pm On Apr 02, 2017
Sometimes I get scared when PHCN leaves the power on for more than four hours, cus I get scared they might not restore it for the next four months.

1 Like

Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by SalamRushdie: 10:11pm On Apr 02, 2017
What exactly has the Buhari govt achieved na ? Please don't tell me Boko haram
Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by dgr8truth(m): 6:43am On Apr 03, 2017
What can be more massive than the epic failure of this APC clueless vegetable government?
Re: Massive Blackout Looms In Nigeria As Gencos To Shut Down Power Plants by Lanretoye(m): 6:45am On Apr 03, 2017
so what's the big deal?

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Ambode And Obasanjo At 2017 ICAN Dinner And Awards / Why Nnamdi Kanu Should Be Next Nigerian President!!! / Nnamdi Kanu Live In Nkpor Where Nigerian Army Murdered Unarmed In 30/5 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.