Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators (16581 Views)

NFIU Submits Report On Magu’s FOREX Transactions To Panel / More Facts On Magu Looting Funds Emerge - Daily Independent / EFCC Issues Statement On Magu's Reported Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Islie: 7:11am On Apr 03, 2017
APC vows to deal with erring lawmakers

Lawyer sues Saraki, Akpabio, Dariye, others over EFCC chair

By Chukwu David

The Senate will not rescind its decision to reject the appointment of the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr. Ibrahim Magu, to substantive capacity, New Telegraph investigations have revealed.

This is, however, notwithstanding its official statement to welcome President Muhammadu Buhari’s peace initiative on the deteriorating Executive/ Legislative face-off. Most of the senators, who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, for obvious implications, said that the move by the President to broker peace and end the current executive-legislative acrimony was welcome. Ironically, they reasoned that though such move was a responsible initiative, the upper chamber would, by no means, be persuaded by anybody to reverse its position on Magu.

The lawmakers said that they would be surprised and embarrassed too, if President Buhari should attempt to convince the Senate to confirm Magu, in total disregard to the report of the Department of State Services (DSS), which indicted the EFCC acting chairman of corruption. According to the lawmakers, Buhari’s insistence that Magu must be confirmed to head the anti- graft agency, despite the unfavourable security report on him, is antithetical to his (Buhari’s) professed fight against corruption in the country. One of the senators said: “The decision of Mr. President to broker peace between the Senate and the executive is a welcome development. It shows that he is aware and also worried that the current bickering between the two arms of the same government is not healthy for our democracy.

“As a senator, I am also seriously concerned about the recurring quarrels between the National Assembly and the Executive because it is negatively affecting governance; it is hampering development. However, as important as the peace initiative is, it cannot be to persuade us to confirm Magu because there is a pending security report against him.” Another senator also told New Telegraph that: “The President did well by setting up a committee to reconcile the Senate and the executive, but that reconciliation effort cannot make the Senate to change its position on Ibrahim Magu because we cannot sweep the DSS’ report under the carpet. ”

In fact, I am of the opinion that President Buhari is setting a bad precedence in this country by not removing Magu from that office, three weeks after the Senate rejected his nomination for the second time.

Nigerians all know that Senate did not reject him based on its own report or observation, but based on security report from the DSS.” Also speaking, one of the senators noted that by setting up a reconciliation committee to bring the two arms harmoniously together, President Buhari had demonstrated that he was concerned about the adverse effects of continuous bickering between the Senate and the executive.

The lawmaker, however, frowned that the President had not thought it necessary to take decisive actions on critical resolutions of the Senate on some public officers serving in the executive arm. He stated that his silence on Magu and Col. Hameed Ali (rtd), the Comptroller of Nigerian Customs Service (NCS), was encouraging them to disregard and disrespect the apex chamber.

“Peace is good and every sane human being wants to have peace. However, if President Buhari really wants to have peace with the parliament, let him call his appointees to order and also comply with the resolutions of the Senate.

“I am telling you this, and I want you to take this seriously, if it is about Magu, that initiative will not yield fruit. In fact, his removal of Magu from that office will mark the beginning of any peace initiative; else, we will continue to deceive ourselves, and there won’t be any peace at the end of the day.

The Customs boss also needs to be cautioned and disciplined by the President for being rude to the Senate.” One of the senators who spoke with our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, described as bizarre, the President’s insistence on Magu, in spite of the indictment from the DSS.

“I can best describe what is happening as bizarre because the President gave the impression that he was going to fight corruption and rout it out from our system. But unfortunately, his body language speaks to the contrary. For God’s sake, what is so unique and special about Magu? I am saying this because we have also heard that the socalled peace initiative was targeted at persuading the Senate to confirm Magu.

“I wish him luck in whatever he is doing to bring the two arms of government together because it will enhance good governance and rapid development in the country, which is why we are in government. But if it is to apply diplomacy and get Senate to confirm Ibrahim Magu, that will be a great miracle if it happens because I will liken it to raising the dead from grave,” the lawmaker said.

Meanwhile, senators have reacted to the call by Muslim Rights Concerns (MURIC), in which it urged President Buhari to shut down the Senate before the Chamber could shut down the people, accusing the apex assembly of sliding into authoritarian dictatorship. Senator Yele Omogunwa (APC, Ondo South) reminded the group that Nigeria is running a democratic system that is anchored on separation of powers, which provides for checks and balances, stressing that no arm has the constitutional power to shut down another arm. “Have you forgotten that there is separation of powers for checks and balances?

Their call is an indication that they do not understand the meaning of democracy. The framers of the constitution are wise enough not to allow for what they are calling for,” he said. Similarly, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe (PDP, Abia South) pointed out that such call was borne out of ignorance, because it is undemocratic and unconstitutional for the President to contemplate shutting down any arm of government. “Anyone making such call is unaware that we are running a constitutional democracy. No arm of government can shut down another arm of government,” Abaribe told New Telegraph.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/news/no-going-back-magus-rejection-senators/

lalasticlala
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by ybalogs(m): 7:12am On Apr 03, 2017
Nah which round we dey now self? The show is getting more interesting.

2 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 03, 2017
Shameless Corrupt Senators . . .
As from this week, all enemies of Nigeria that do not want the country to progress will start going to hell one after the other. . . . I rise!!

27 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by gerald09(m): 7:23am On Apr 03, 2017
Storyland Storyland, a land of music, fun and tales. "The Generation with no Honour", "The irresponsible Generation", "The wasteful Generation", "The Greedy Generation" Select you storyline.

1 Like

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 7:25am On Apr 03, 2017
GOD BLESS SARAKI grin

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Sunnymatey(m): 7:26am On Apr 03, 2017
Why is Buhari embarrasing everybody? So in a country of over 180m citizen only Magu is qualify to head EFCC. Let the senate do the needful. No room for dictatorship in this democratic despensation.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by eezeribe(m): 7:30am On Apr 03, 2017
OK
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by eezeribe(m): 7:30am On Apr 03, 2017
Sunnymatey:
Why is Buhari embarrasing everybody? So in a country of over 180m citizen only Magu is qualify to head EFCC. Let the senate do the needful. No room for dictatorship in this democratic despensation.

Far from it

4 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by SmartchoicesNG: 7:32am On Apr 03, 2017
@ modelmike7 no one in your lineage can ever be one.... never!
modelmike7:
Shameless Corrupt Senators

6 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Aufbauh(m): 7:34am On Apr 03, 2017
In as much as i have my reservations on the continuous insistence on Ibrahim Magu for confirmation. The senate aggressive opposition to his candidacy leave much to desire and appear mischievous.

These selfish & mischievous intentions of the senate is of course the main factor generating public sympathies and support for Magu. And this is why i personally think Magu should be uphold by the presidency.

17 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Nobody: 7:35am On Apr 03, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:
no one in my lineage can ever be one.... never!
. . . .oh, you have got your mind made up that any of your family members cant make it?! So sad.... Not Everyone has a corrupt mentality as yours, some of us are still honest, and have the fear of God in us.

6 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by SmartchoicesNG: 7:38am On Apr 03, 2017
modelmike7:
Shameless Corrupt Senators
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by HAH: 7:38am On Apr 03, 2017
Buhari is an embarrassment to democracy if he shuts the national assembly, clearly the guy lack the capacity and competence to lead a democratic government. Must it be Magu? What if he dies.

Since Buhari came back is being from one crises to another, this guy is badluck

18 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Nobody: 7:41am On Apr 03, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:
will you shut up and stop sounding like a broken record... Early monday morning for this trash, u no get work?! See you later in the day Mr!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by SmartchoicesNG: 7:46am On Apr 03, 2017
Just accept the Truth. Kiss da Truth!

modelmike7:
will you shut up and stop sounding like a broken record... Early monday morning for this trash, u no get work?! See you later in the day Mr!

2 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by 2016v2017: 9:29am On Apr 03, 2017
Buhari is only trying to prove that the Hausa/Fulanis are the only qualified and untouchabble in this his clueless and tyrannical government,thereby sending out message that Nigeria is not one and cannot be one

7 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by jimi4us: 10:22am On Apr 03, 2017
Magu should be in jail by now. he's a theif

5 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by SageTravels: 10:23am On Apr 03, 2017
What is so special about Magu self

2 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by verygudbadguy(m): 10:23am On Apr 03, 2017
Mugus.... Clearly, there is something Magu is doing something right that makes these rogues to demand his sack.

Magu can act for four years depending on the discretion of the Executive.

Sinators with poor knowledge of Nigerian constitution. Did Buhari meddle into the suspension of Ali Ndume?

No, because it is not within his powers to lift/suspend any member of the house .

So, somebody should educate these ignoramus that the Senate can only recommend but cannot sack Magu. Falana (SAN) already educated them but they choose to remain ignorant.

Magu is going no where, Period!!!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by EmmaLege: 10:24am On Apr 03, 2017
undecided
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by ekems2017(f): 10:24am On Apr 03, 2017
Pls can someone tell me what's so special about Magu? Pls we are in democracy. Buhari should know that it's not everyone he sents for confirmation would be confirm. What he is practising is not democracy at all. If this continues our democracy is in a mess.

None of them is thinking about the meningitis that has already killed 368 children untill when it eats deep into the society befor they start their fire brigade approach.
I stand with Senate in this one. He should look for another Nigerian. He can't win all the time.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Oladelson(m): 10:24am On Apr 03, 2017
grin
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by AdamsTbounce(m): 10:25am On Apr 03, 2017
then let see who wins between the executive and the legislators
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by legendte(m): 10:26am On Apr 03, 2017
Please how can I vote for Efe from outside the country.

He has no talent just like tboss and Marvin.

I just like him freestyle and slang which to me is a plus.

They are all stars but I just want him to win. His face on a bill board is enough to make people smile.

I never vote before.

My brothers from south south and south east please let's support a dude.
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by legendte(m): 10:26am On Apr 03, 2017
Good
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Nobody: 10:26am On Apr 03, 2017
Naija
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by nickxtra(m): 10:27am On Apr 03, 2017
Na Joke dem dey joke
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Nebuchadnezar: 10:27am On Apr 03, 2017
grin

Saraki
the most powerful man in the country now.

it's a fact zombies can't deny

anything to frustrate the useless gworo chewing terrorist Buhari is welcomed

5 Likes

Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Nebuchadnezar: 10:28am On Apr 03, 2017
jimi4us:
Magu should be in jail by now. he's a theif
Re: No Going Back On Magu’s Rejection – Senators by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 03, 2017
Who asked you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Falana: ‘Buhari Knows Those Causing Unrest In Nigeria' / Police Assault Channels TV Reporter, Cameraman In Niger / Electoral Act: Buhari Won’t Force Amaechi, Ngige, Others To Resign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.