Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,217 members, 7,807,737 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? (2077 Views)

The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state / Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma / Most Populous Tribe In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? by splashier(f): 7:10pm On Apr 03, 2017
personally I don't think they are the most respectful or so respectful as most people say. Fine they can greet for Africa, but the same person they rolled on the floor to greet is the same person they will throw abusive words at if angered. I've lived in warri all my and never for once have I ever seen a woman hit a man but my first day in Ibadan saw me witness a woman give the driver a hot slap,the driver o,funny enough the driver took the slap like its an everyday thing,he didn't even stop the bus,in fact the woman kept insulting him and saying she'll finish beating him when she comes out of the bus and all the women in the bus were in complete support.
it's in this same Yoruba tribe that I have friends who because our elderly matron annoyed them they told the woman they'll slap her if she talks again and I was like chisos! is this the same yoruba tribe that is so respectful? Its in this same tribe I see female students hauling insults at our porters because they were being corrected o.

Mind you I have nothing against the Yoruba tribe in fact I love the tribe a lot for their other numerous qualities. I just want the views of others on the topic.

so guys what's your opinion?
Re: Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? by Heavance(m): 7:13pm On Apr 03, 2017
Seriously, we all mistake the numerous prostration to mean respect.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? by Earth2Metahuman: 7:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
Respect is reciprocal in yoruba land.

When someone doesn't deserve a respect, you don't respect the person.
But we don't go about insulting everybody or waking our mothers up with a sliding tackle.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? by Kingsasian(m): 8:09pm On Apr 03, 2017
I love the yorubas for their respect as well especially the way they greet their elders unlike my warri people here and I also lovethe language but I am yet to see them disrespect their elders o although I haven't stayed that much in the west.
Re: Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? by 9jakool: 10:06pm On Apr 03, 2017
In Yoruba culture, respect is key attribute of an omoluabi. The gesture greeting is ingrained into every Yoruba since childhood that it actually becomes an instinctive habit. Of course, you have those who are disrespectful, but disrespect is not tolerated at all. Respect is also mutual not only from young to old, but also old to young. It's not uncommon to see the old praise a young omoluabi through praise poetry (oriki) attributed to his/her name or origin.
Although, I won't go far as to say respect is necessarily prescribed to just one ethnicity. I will say though that respect as well as hospitality are two very important values in Yoruba culture.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? by YungMillionaire: 11:49pm On Apr 03, 2017
OP I think Yoruba culture has respect at its core. You will see some disrespectful folks here and there...but overall I think the Yorubas have the most respective culture at least in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:52am On Apr 04, 2017
Yorubas are the most respectful. Some may be disrespectful but they are not more than 5% of the total Yoruba population. And telling us "but my first day in Ibadan saw me witness a woman give the driver a hot slap,the driver o,funny enough the driver took the slap like its an everyday thing,he didn't even stop the bus,in fact the woman kept insulting him and saying she'll finish beating him when she comes out of the bus and all the women in the bus were in complete support". sounds like bullshit to me. so the other women were in suport of a woman beating a driver in motion knowing fully well it could result in an accident?Haba sister take am easy na.
"it's in this same Yoruba tribe that I have friends who because our elderly matron annoyed them they told the woman they'll slap her if she talks again" grin grin no tribe no matter how disrespectful would try this. Knowing fully well they can be sanctioned for gross misconduct? Hmmm.
"Its in this same tribe I see female students hauling insults at our porters because they were being corrected o".
So you took it upon urself to monitor all d mistakes of so called 'Yoruba students' that only exist in ur head grin grin grin Please we are not all gullible to believe this made up crap. This statement "and I was like chisos! is this the same yoruba tribe that is so respectful?" proves you know they are respectful but wish to discredit the recognised most respectful tribe but it wont work.Only God knows why Yorubas are always at the receiving end of y'all jealousy. We shall soon have topics like "Is Yoruba really the most accomodating tribe", "Is Yoruba really the most beautiful tribe", "Is Yoruba really the most tolerant tribe" and so on. Please cut us some slack

1 Like

Re: Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? by splashier(f): 7:13am On Apr 04, 2017
Oga everything stated there is what I personally witnessed but if you think otherwise its okay and as I said earlier I love the Yoruba tribe for their other numerous qualities.
Re: Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 04, 2017
splashier:
Oga everything stated there is what I personally witnessed but if you think otherwise its okay and as I said earlier I love the Yoruba tribe for their other numerous qualities.
Every hater says this.
Re: Is The Yoruba Tribe Really The Most Respectful Tribe In Nigeria? by splashier(f): 10:41am On Apr 04, 2017
LOL. okay

(1) (Reply)

Gbagyi Tribe Celebrates Traditional New Year With Fanfare In Abuja / Yoruba And Colours(a MUST READ) / India Celebrates Diwali; The Festival Of Lights, With Gaiety

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.