Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,943 members, 7,806,725 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court (734 Views)

Some Imo Pensioners Earn N330m Yearly, Uzodimma Cries Out / Imo Pensioners Block Govt House Entrance, Demand Payment Of Pensions (photos) / Court Nullifies Okorocha's Slash Of Payments Accrued To Imo Pensioners (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court by Lucasinho(m): 7:06am On Apr 04, 2017
Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha and four of his aides have been dragged to the National Industrial Court by the Nigeria Union of Pensioners (NUP), Imo State chapter, for allegedly withholding and slashing of their monthly pensions.

The claimants and three of its officials: Messrs Gideon Ezeji, Livinus Ashiegbu and Fabian Agba want the court to declare unconstitutional, a letter issued to Imo pensioners by the state government slashing their monthly pensions by 60 per cent.

The originating summons filed at the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, Owerri Judicial Division, marked NICN/OW/144/2017, which contained claims and other facts of the suit was made available to Daily Sun yesterday.

NUP pointed out that section 210(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) states that pensioners in Imo public service, including the second to fourth claimants have right to pension.

The claimants want the court to set aside the
letter/form prepared by Imo government under Okorocha, addressed to the Accountant-General and entitled “Letter of Set off in Respect of my Outstanding Pension Arrears.”

The pensioners demanded the court to make an order of perpetual injunction restraining the defendants, by themselves, representatives, successors or whatsoever name called from implementing, executing the content of the said letter/form.

Ezeji, the Imo NUP state chairman explained that the union approached the court as the last resort, adding, “we have exhausted all avenues for a peaceful resolution of this matter, yet nothing meaningful came out of our efforts for Okorocha to do the needful.

“The leadership of NUP oppose the slashing of the meagre money we receive as monthly pension because our governor publicly said that there is no economic recession in Imo and his lifestyle and that of his appointees support that position.

“It will be an aberration for the state that is economically buoyant to trick its pensioners into forfeiting their legitimate pension which the state government had refused to review upward for more than 10 years now and so, we want the court to interpret the relevant sections of the constitution,” he said.

Ezeji said hearing on the suit has been fixed for Tuesday April 4, 2017, saying “pensioners will attend the court sitting in Owerri in their numbers next Tuesday in spite the failing health of some members who are now owed about three years pension arrears.”

www.sunnewsonline.com/imo-pensioners-drag-okorocha-to-court/

lalasticala, myd44

Re: Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court by Karlman: 7:12am On Apr 04, 2017
IFE NEME N'OBODO A...infact ike obodo a gwuru mmadu...
Re: Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court by kutchs: 7:19am On Apr 04, 2017
That's the way to go. I'm with you NUP.

A man who in his usual boastful manner claimed before the world press that there's no recession in Imo State cannot slash the meagre amount pensioners get.

He slashes pensioners pension but waste money on Ill advice and use full ventures like the Ada and Opara Imo pageant and others. That man needs to be taught a good lesson.

1 Like

Re: Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court by Nobody: 7:26am On Apr 04, 2017
okorocha see ya life

Re: Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court by mybestlove(m): 7:27am On Apr 04, 2017
One would wonder why a citizen after serving this country will only relax to regret. I wept last time I was in the east because of the ordeal of the pensioners in Imo state. Teachers that trained all of us were seen standing in the scorching heat at Owerri hoping to get answers to their pension arrears. Even after accepting the cut downs and miserable conditions given by the state government.
This is the state where N600million was spent on Christmas trees and decorations. This is the state where the governor is building schools in another state in far away north. The hearts of men are evil. Our politicians are horrible but all hope is not lost.
There is JUDGEMENT after our journey here on earth.

1 Like

Re: Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court by aloziedaya(m): 7:41am On Apr 04, 2017
The last sentence is enough to bundle that fool of a governor out of that office.
Imagine "3 years pension arrears"
Do these pensioners have families?

Can Nigeria owe the senators one month salaries, though in millions?
See the poor being owed for 3 years(36 months) which add together is less than 3% of a senator's monthly salary.

There was a country really.
Re: Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court by DjAndroid: 8:08am On Apr 04, 2017
My Imo brothers have been scammed.
Re: Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court by Lucasinho(m): 7:21pm On Sep 11, 2018
equal2detask, here is my number 07011112211. Message me on Whatsapp.

(1) (Reply)

El-rufai Made Good His Threat To Demolish My House - APC Chieftain / My Time To Lead This Country Is Closer Than Ever. / Has This Administration Met Your Expectation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.