Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria (20256 Views)

Share Your Experience On Water Melon Farm / 3 Facts You Need To Know To Succeed In Water Melon Farming / My Dry Season Water Melon Farm In Ebonyi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Adieza(m): 2:19pm On Apr 04, 2017
Everyone seems to love juicy watermelon in the summertime. Native to Africa, melons need warm temperatures (up to 80 degrees during the day) and a long growing season. Gardeners in colder climates can still have success in growing watermelon by starting seeds indoors and choosing short-season varieties.

PLANTING:

Days to maturity range from 70 to 90, depending on the variety.
If you live in warmer climes, you can direct sow seeds outdoors, but wait until the soil temperature warms to at least 70 degrees to avoid poor germination.
Watermelon vines are very tender and should not be transplanted until all danger of frost has passed. (To be safe, wait at least two weeks past your last frost date.)
If you are in a cooler zone, start seeds indoors about a month before transplanting.
Amend soil with aged manure, seaweed, and/or compost before planting. Watermelons are heavy feeders.
Watermelons prefer a soil pH between 6 and 6.8.
Growing the vines in raised rows, known as hills, ensures good drainage and will hold the sun’s heat longer. Space the plants about 2 feet apart in a 5-foot-wide hill.
If you’re growing in rows, space 6 feet apart by 6 feet apart.
Watermelons like loamy, well-drained soil. Handle them gently when you transplant.
After you transplant, cover the plants with row covers to keep pests at bay.
You’ll remove the row covers when you see both male and female flowers on the vine.
Find even more tips for planting
watermelon in your home garden.

CARE

Mulching with black plastic will serve multiple purposes: it will warm the soil, hinder weed growth and keep developing fruits clean.
Watering is very important from planting until fruit begins to form. While melon plants are growing, blooming, and setting fruit, they need 1 to 2 inches of water per week.
Keep soil moist but not waterlogged. Water at the vine’s base in the morning, and try to avoid wetting the leaves and avoid overhead watering. Reduce watering once fruit are growing. Dry weather produces the sweetest melon.
If you choose to fertilize (and many do), make sure it’s deliver more nitrogen than phosphorus and potassium. However, after flowering begins, use a fertilizer with less nitrogen. We like to use liquid seaweed.
Pruning isn’t necessary, but vine productivity may be improved if you do not allow lateral (side) vines to grow and stick to the main vine. When the plant is young, just cut off the end buds as they form (before the side shoots become vines). You can also pinch off some blossoms to focus the energy on fewer melons (though it’s a challenge to kill off a potential fruit!).
Vines produce male and female flowers separately on the same plant. They often begin producing male flowers several weeks before the females appear. Do not be concerned if the male flowers fall off. The female flowers (which have a swollen bulb at the base) will stay on the vine and bear fruit.
Blossoms require pollination to set fruit, so be kind to the bees!
As fruit is ripening, prevent rotting by gently lifting it and putting some cardboard or straw between the fruit and the soil.

PEST/DISEASE

Aphids
Cucumber Beetles
Squash Vine Borer Moths
Fusarium Wilt.

HARVEST/STORAGE

Watermelons don’t sweeten after they are picked, so harvest time is important. They generally ripen over two weeks so keep you eye on them.
Dr. Bill Rhodes, professor of horticulture at Clemson University, offers the following advice on how to tell if watermelons are ripe:
Thump it. If the watermelon sounds hollow, it’s ripe.
Look at the color on the top. The watermelon is ripe when there is little contrast between the stripes.
Look at the color on the bottom. A green watermelon will have a white bottom; a ripe melon will have a cream- or yellow-colored bottom.
Press on it. If the watermelon sounds like it gives a little, it’s ripe. (Rhodes doesn’t like this method because it can ruin the quality of the fruit.)
Check the tendril. If it’s green, wait. If it’s half-dead, the watermelon is nearly ripe or ripe. If the tendril is fully dead, it’s ripe or overripe; it’s not going to get any riper, so you might as well pick!
Stems should be cut with a sharp knife close to the fruit.
Watermelons can be stored uncut for about 10 days. If cut, they can last in the refrigerator for about 4 days. Wrap tightly in plastic.

RECOMMENDED VARIETIES

‘Sugar Baby’ 80 days to maturity. Produces 10-pound melons with bright red flesh. This variety of smaller fruit can be planted just 4 feet apart.
‘Sweet Beauty’ 80 days to maturity. A 2004 All-America Selection. Bears 6-pound, oblong melons with red flesh.
‘Golden Midget’ 70 days to maturity. Bears petite, yellow-skinned 3-pound melons with pink flesh. Good for Northern gardeners.

WIT AND WISDOM

What’s in a name? Watermelon is 90% water.
The pumpkin vine never bears watermelons.
August 3 is National Watermelon Day (U.S.)!

RECIPE

Watermelon Basket With Honey Lime DressingWatermelon Cucumber Salad
Watermelon Punch

www.agricinfo.com/2017/04/how-to-grow-watermelon-in-nigeria-must.html?m=1

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Adieza(m): 2:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
cc: Lalasticlala and Mynd44
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by DollarAngel(m): 3:04pm On Apr 04, 2017
You can use Hydroponics is the cultivation of plants using water and nutrient solutions, rather than soil.
Am glad I have enlightened someone today, Lala I will talk about snake farming someday grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Crauxx(m): 3:05pm On Apr 04, 2017
How do we start money farming

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Daminaj1(f): 3:05pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nice one. I love watermelons.!!!
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 04, 2017
a typical nigerian youth would hardly open this thread. they would rather help big brother generate N1.1bn in one week than use their brains and money properly.

15 Likes

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Tazdroid(m): 3:06pm On Apr 04, 2017
Mehn, we never talk of land, money and the rest
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by yim(f): 3:06pm On Apr 04, 2017
Good cool
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Flexherbal(m): 3:06pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nice
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Mediapace: 3:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
If Aboki catch you ehn

You wan spoil business. For moola ni

2 Likes

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by ajalawole(m): 3:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
Op, too long to read sir sad. Just post the step-by-step picture and we all understand it na cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by mantosa(m): 3:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
Please don't read online materials and start watermelon farming oh. Watermelon is more practical.

Na so I read every single material on watermelon and then embarked on it on a two plots of land, my people watermelon farming na ognanje. I am going into plantain farming instead.

5 Likes

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by adorablepepple(f): 3:08pm On Apr 04, 2017
smiley
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Chillypelly(m): 3:08pm On Apr 04, 2017
Recession things.
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by lekejob(m): 3:09pm On Apr 04, 2017
Good info

1 Like

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by maclatunji: 3:10pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nice.

1 Like

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by binsanni(m): 3:10pm On Apr 04, 2017
nice OP... keep it up bro

1 Like

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Punctual(m): 3:11pm On Apr 04, 2017
Now i see the reason why watermelon grow well in nothern parton naija 80 degree celsius shocked

2 Likes

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by ekems2017(f): 3:13pm On Apr 04, 2017
I love this fruit like no other. But to plant am no be here o!

1 Like

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Adieza(m): 3:18pm On Apr 04, 2017
DollarAngel:
You can use Hydroponics is the cultivation of plants using water and nutrient solutions, rather than soil.
Am glad I have enlightened someone today, Lala I will talk about snake farming someday grin

Thanks for the new information, U re welcome to d Agro blogging world sir

3 Likes

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Adieza(m): 3:20pm On Apr 04, 2017
mantosa:
Please don't read online materials and start watermelon farming oh. Watermelon is more practical.

Na so I read every single material on watermelon and then embarked on it on a two plots of land, my people watermelon farming na ognanje. I am going into plantain farming instead.

Sir why dont u try Aroms Farms Nig Ltd for ur guidelines and real practicals sir, They give out Loan,Support sir.
Contact 08091739625
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Adieza(m): 3:21pm On Apr 04, 2017
binsanni:
nice OP... keep it up bro
Yes Boss, Thanks
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by IMASTEX: 3:21pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nice one. Farming is the way

1 Like

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Adieza(m): 3:21pm On Apr 04, 2017
maclatunji:
Nice.
U re sighted sir
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by DollarAngel(m): 3:22pm On Apr 04, 2017
Adieza:

Thanks for the new information, U re welcome to d Agro blogging world sir

Its a Pleasure

1 Like

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Ganjafama(m): 3:23pm On Apr 04, 2017
Punctual:
Now i see the reason why watermelon grow well in nothern parton naija 80 degree celsius shocked
Fahrenheit.No living thing can withstand 80 degrees Celsius. Death can set in at over 60

2 Likes

Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Adieza(m): 3:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
IMASTEX:
Nice one. Farming is the way
Try Aroms Farm for ur guidelines and Support, U re Welcome to Farming World
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by ademasta(m): 3:35pm On Apr 04, 2017
Water melon= Omi Egusi grin
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by binsanni(m): 3:36pm On Apr 04, 2017
Adieza:

Yes Boss, Thanks
avor adayi
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by ngona(f): 3:50pm On Apr 04, 2017
farming is the way forward
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by Vorigo: 3:55pm On Apr 04, 2017
I'm in.
Re: How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria by rareman(m): 3:56pm On Apr 04, 2017
Tazdroid:
Mehn, we never talk of land, money and the rest

You can contact me for land at a very good rate

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? / Any Idea Of Where I Can Source For Ogbono And Crayfish @very Cheaper Rate / Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.