Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,387 members, 7,781,108 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:05 AM

Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) (2967 Views)

It`s A Lie, Jonathan Was Not Protected With 2,123 Policemen-Eye Witness Account / Police Intercepts 850 Cutlasses Smuggled Into Katsina By Political Party / Eye Witness Account Of The BRT/Military Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by Pharoh: 7:14pm On Dec 27, 2009

A Michigan man who was aboard Northwest Airlines Flight 253 says he witnessed Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab trying to board the plane in Amsterdam without a passport.

Kurt Haskell of Newport, Mich., who posted an earlier comment about his experience, talked exclusively with MLive.com and confirmed he was on the flight by sending a picture of his boarding pass. He and his wife, Lori, were returning from a safari in Uganda when they boarded the NWA flight on Friday.
Lori Kurt Haskell.jpgKurt HaskellLori and Kurt Haskell
Haskell said he and his wife were sitting on the ground near their boarding gate in Amsterdam, which is when they saw Mutallab approach the gate with an unidentified man.

Kurt and Lori Haskell are attorneys with Haskell Law Firm in Taylor. Their expertise includes bankruptcy, family law and estate planning.

While Mutallab was poorly dressed, his friend was dressed in an expensive suit, Haskell said. He says the suited man asked ticket agents whether Mutallab could board without a passport. “The guy said, 'He's from Sudan and we do this all the time.'”

Mutallab is Nigerian. Haskell believes the man may have been trying to garner sympathy for Mutallab's lack of documents by portraying him as a Sudanese refugee.

The ticket agent referred Mutallab and his companion to her manager down the hall, and Haskell didn't see Mutallab again until after he allegedly tried to detonate an explosive on the plane.

Haskell said the flight was mostly unremarkable. That was until he heard a flight attendant say she smelled smoke, just after the pilot announced the plane would land in Detroit in 10 minutes. Haskell got out of his seat to view the brewing commotion.

“I stood up and walked a couple feet ahead to get a closer look, and that's when I saw the flames,” said Haskell, who sat about seven rows behind Mutallab. “It started to spread pretty quickly. It went up the wall, all the way to ceiling.”

Haskell, who described Mutallab as a diminutive man who looks like a teenager, said about 30 seconds passed between the first mention of smoke and when Mutallab was subdued by fellow passengers.

“He didn't fight back at all. This wasn't a big skirmish,” Haskell said. “A couple guys jumped on him and hauled him away.”

The ordeal has Haskell and his wife a little shaken. Flight attendants were screaming during the fire and the pilot sounded notably nervous when bringing the plane in for a landing, he said.

“Immediately, the pilot came on and said two words: emergency landing,” Haskell said. “And that was it. The plane sped up instead of slowing down. You could tell he floored it.”

As Mutallab was being led out of the plane in handcuffs, Haskell said he realized that was the same man he saw trying to board the plane in Amsterdam.

Passengers had to wait about 20 minutes before they were allowed to exit the plane. Haskell said he and other passengers waited about six hours to be interviewed by the FBI.

About an hour after landing, Haskell said he saw another man being taken into custody. But a spokeswoman from the FBI in Detroit said Mutallab was the only person taken into custody.

Source

Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by otawa: 7:18pm On Dec 27, 2009
This is interesting if confirms to be true.

US should open up more for us on this boy.
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by Jairzinho(m): 7:58pm On Dec 27, 2009
NCAA confirmed he checked in with his passport. Also he may not need his passport at boarding gate ,having checked in and received boarding pass in Lagos.
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by globalaid(m): 8:08pm On Dec 27, 2009
this is nonsense, everybody is just talking shit.
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by beninman1(m): 8:09pm On Dec 27, 2009
It is doubtful if he didnt need to present his passport in Amsterdam. It is only in rare instances if you were lucky enough to get what is normally called 'an onward boarding pass' from your origin (in this case Lagos) that you are allowed to board your connecting flight without passport check.
However, this system is archaic and i dont think it exist anymore due to security concern.
Last time i heard about an onward boarding pass was over 15 yrs ago
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by beninman1(m): 8:10pm On Dec 27, 2009
Also, if he had no passport on him, how come authorities were quick to establish his true identity.
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 27, 2009
This thing is getting twisted
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by otawa: 8:31pm On Dec 27, 2009
~Bluetooth:

This thing is getting twisted

cool shocked cool
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by proudly9ja(m): 8:39pm On Dec 27, 2009
benin-man:

Also, if he had no passport on him, how come authorities were quick to establish his true identity.

He had a passport on him. The NCAA confirmed that he checked in with his passport. Whatever happened in Amsterdam if this man's statement is true was probably to mask his true identity.
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by beninman1(m): 8:44pm On Dec 27, 2009
Yeah NCAA confirmed he checked in fine in Lagos and that all docs were in order. They claimed he only had a shoulder bag and had no check in bag.
They also claim his ticket for his entire journey was bought in Accra on 16th December and that it was paid in cash.
All these was revealed in a press conference by NCAA spokesman which was aired on AIT internation during their 7pm (UK time) news
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by coolier(f): 9:03pm On Dec 27, 2009
otawa:

This is interesting if confirms to be true.

These couple are just seeking for cheap publicity. They might be on the plane quite all right but any sane person would know they lied about Farouk boarding the plane without a passport not in Amsterdam of all places! Connecting flight or not!

benin-man:

It is doubtful if he didnt need to present his passport in Amsterdam. It is only in rare instances if you were lucky enough to get what is normally called 'an onward boarding pass' from your origin (in this case Lagos) that you are allowed to board your connecting flight without passport check.
However, this system is archaic and i dont think it exist anymore due to security concern.

Onward boarding passes still exists. I got it 2months ago from US on my way to Lagos on Virgin Atlantic. I was given the two boarding passes when I checked in at Washington Dulles. But I still had to go through the boarding gate in LHR despite the fact I was on transit, where security checked my passport and tear off a part of my 2nd boarding pass. That is a flight going to Lagos. Security is tighter on all flights to the US, and people living there would tell you one needs a passport or any form of identification to board local flights not to talk of international.
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by Jairzinho(m): 10:26pm On Dec 27, 2009
benin-man:

It still exists my friend. . . . I use it all the time. In some airports you proceed straight to barding gate,some others you go through airport screening. But almost all transit flights i go through give you the onward b/pass from your origin. . . .
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by dogmafree(m): 7:33am On Dec 28, 2009
benin-man:

The guy was quick to provide authorities with info as soon as the plane landed. Before they even interogation he started talking. He was dazed.
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by texazzpete(m): 8:11am On Dec 28, 2009
Of course the guy had a passport. These guys just sold that cock and bull story to that news agency for some cash.
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by norrisman: 11:39am On Aug 18, 2011

Kurt and Lori Haskell are attorneys with Haskell Law Firm in Taylor. Their expertise includes bankruptcy, family law and estate planning.

Not bad advertising. Definitely cheaper than using Saatchi & Saatchi.
Re: Bomber Had No Passport -- Was Smuggled Into Airplane (Eye Witness) by philip0906(m): 12:16pm On Aug 18, 2011
^^
Lawdy Lawd. . . grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Atiku To Go Back To Acn? / Lagos Doles Out N167m Bursary To Lagos State Natives Studying In Various / The Supreme Court Of Nigeria Threatens To Wipe The Igbo “off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.