Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State (15470 Views)

A Refutation Benin Origin Hypothesis Of Most Anioma People / Martha Dunkwu, The Omu Of Anioma: As Queen, I Can Only Marry A Woman / Naming Ceremony Of Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins With Memunat (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Klinee: 9:55pm On Apr 07, 2017
RedboneSmith:

No, it is not a variant of oya and oria. Maybe it is in your place, but for the wider Igbo-speaking peoples (or at least the groups that I know), the words are two different words. Uya is sorrow or suffering.

In the Southeast, people also answer Uyanwanne (Sibling's sorrow/suffering) and Onwubuya (Death is sorrowful), and they make the distinction between Uya and Oria/Oya. I never saw Orianwanne or Onwubuoria.

When I was in Nnewi, I heard people saying 'Ebezina uya' which means in their dialect 'Stop sorrowing/stop weeping'; for them 'uya' (sorrow) is different from 'oya' (sickness).

@Afam4eva, no one was going to say the word is Bini. You've been acting paranoid of late over Anioma matters; you didn't use to act like that.
Uya is sorrow , so oya can also be uya

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by agadez007(m): 8:30am On Apr 08, 2017
RedboneSmith:

No, it is not a variant of oya and oria. Maybe it is in your place, but for the wider Igbo-speaking peoples (or at least the groups that I know), the words are two different words. Uya is sorrow or suffering.

In the Southeast, people also answer Uyanwanne (Sibling's sorrow/suffering) and Onwubuya (Death is sorrowful), and they make the distinction between Uya and Oria/Oya. I never saw Orianwanne or Onwubuoria.

When I was in Nnewi, I heard people saying 'Ebezina uya' which means in their dialect 'Stop sorrowing/stop weeping'; for them 'uya' (sorrow) is different from 'oya' (sickness).

@Afam4eva, no one was going to say the word is Bini. You've been acting paranoid of late over Anioma matters; you didn't use to act like that.
yes

You correct,uya is not a variance of oya(sickness)
I remember my granny used to use "uye"(in my dialect) rather than akwa,"I ga ebekwo uye o"she normaly says to us
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Abagworo(m): 11:04am On Apr 08, 2017
agadez007:
yes

You correct,uya is not a variance of oya(sickness)
I remember my granny used to use "uye"(in my dialect) rather than akwa,"I ga ebekwo uye o"she normaly says to us

Yea people bear that name Onwubuya and Uya means grief in that instance. Uya also means sickness in some dialects.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by agadez007(m): 12:52pm On Apr 08, 2017
Abagworo:

Yea people bear that name Onwubuya and Uya means grief in that instance. Uya also means sickness in some dialects.
in which dialect
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Enahi(f): 5:22pm On Apr 08, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Esan has the 'ch' sound? I am just asking because I can't remember seeing 'ch' in an Esan word.

Ehichoya is an Esan name

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by bigfrancis21: 9:13pm On Apr 08, 2017
Afam4eva:
For the interest of peace, i think Anioma issues especially as it pertains to culture should be treated in isolation. If it's about Ika let it be Ika. if it's about Ukwuani, let it be Ukwuani, if it's about Aniocha/Oshimili, let it be Aniocha. Muddling all these groups together in the name of culture makes beautiful articles such as these to come across as ignorant.

The only thing i was able to take out from this article is just another attempt by some people to dissociate Anioma from the larger Igbos as much as possible.

Point made. Let's for a minute assume aniomas were yorubas that assimilated other tribal influences, with foreign surnames, names and titles amongst them but yoruba-speaking mainly, they would still be regarded as yorubas regardless right? Why? Because yorubas are the natives and others are settlers assimilated in a yoruba area right? How this logic changes suddenly when it comes to the east baffles me.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by bigfrancis21: 9:19pm On Apr 08, 2017
ehikwe22:
Ashi is the Aniocha variant of ehi. Ehi is the main word here and it's unfair to make ashi the main subject .

Ya you're right but it does not apply in all cases. Arinze/Ashinze/Ahinze for example are dialectical variations for 'thank God'. 'r', 'h', 'sh' are often interchanged in dialects. Orimili/Ohimiri/Oshimiri (river), Aru/Ahu/Ashu/Eshi (body), Ogbaru/Ogbahu/Ogbashu (going downstream, not sure), Ori/Oshi/Ohi(stealing), Iru/Ishu/Isu (face). It would seem to me that the 'ehi' in Ehinze is the e-conforming variation of ahi/ashi/ari that make up the name Arinze, and may not actually relate to the traditional 'ehi' for 'chi' in Ika.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by bigfrancis21: 9:28pm On Apr 08, 2017
ehikwe22:
Do you know the meaning of brainwash? We've never seen ourselves as Igbo from the beginning of time till date. Only someone that doesn't know Anioma will attribute anything to politics and civil war. These have nothing to do with them

When you speak of 'we', be a little more specific: Ika. I must admit some Ika people have always upheld some bini origins in their fold pre Nigerian independence. But it is not the same for all Anioma groups. Do not group all Anioma groups as one and speak for all as 'we'. Many in Ika and Ukwuani specifically have always tried to be independent on their own.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by fratermathy(m): 9:30pm On Apr 08, 2017
You guys have turned this thread into Igbo tutorial classes.

Una Wehdone ooo!

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Ishilove: 9:39pm On Apr 08, 2017
DynamoDeGreat:
Chukwunalu
Chukwuka
Chukwudi
Chukwunwike
Chukwuma

Godbless Anioma

Proudly Ukwuani
Ofu obi! cheesy
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by bigfrancis21: 10:00pm On Apr 08, 2017
RedboneSmith:

@bold...attitudes like this of many people from that area that get Afam4eva concerned is one reason SE people tend to stay away from Anioma affairs, just minding their business to avoid being called 'land grabbers' etc. Yet some people will turn around and say SE people do not do anything for 'their brothers' aka 'aniomas'.

There's one thing certain aniomas and igboid rivers people do not realize. Should SE be independent tomorrow with, maybe, akwa ibom and/or calabar and igboid rivers and delta people remain in nigeria, to the rest of nigerians, they are still igbo, some omo igbo still remain for naija. They won't be given any special treatment nor treated any differently than 'regular Igbo.es' that have left. As expected, with names like 'chizi', 'chiburuoma', 'ehinze' etc., they would still be called Igbos. Probably they would be told, wetin una still dey do for here, why una no follow ur brothers comot, etc. Good thing for the Igbo language as then it would become a multi-national language recognized in 3 countries (new nigeria, new country, equatorial guinea). In anyways, we'd wish them well in the event of such happenstance.

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by bigfrancis21: 2:32am On Apr 09, 2017
Afam4eva:

Of course not but a handful of them do. let me use the example of one Ikerre boy i served with. His name is Uche and when the usual Ikwerre-Igbo argument came up, can you believe that this guy lied too people there that his own name is different from that of Igbos. That his own is Ushe and not uche like Igbos. I would have believed him had i not seen his ID card and other personal effects. Imagine this guy was ready to go to the length pf lying about his name just to dissociate himself from Igbo. It's the same reason that an Anioma person will tell you that they're made up of Bini, Yoruba, Igala and Igbo people. Notice how they a;ways push Igbo to the last position in order for you not to take notice of their similarity with Igbo. Maybe they think they're talking to idiots. I would have made more sense to say that We are Igbos with some mixture of Bini, Igala and Yoruba. Infact, they usually put Igbo and Yoruba in the same breadth and someone who doesn't know better will think that there are loads of Yorubas in Anioma without even realizing that the so-called Yoruba people even speak Igbo.

I experienced something similar to this during my hostel days in UNN. There was this dude from Etche Rivers state named Obinna who was very vocal about being non Igbo. He claimed his name wasn't obinna but ovunda and I told him that first of all he's not ikwerre that use 'ovu' for 'obi' (some places in anambra say 'obu' or 'ovu') and 'nda' for 'nna' but Etche and Etche people say Obinna instead. This guy carry Ikwerre matter for head pass Ikwerres themselves. He insisted that his name is ovunda, despite 'obinna' being on his official documents. So I decided to test him by calling either name to see which is registered subconsciously in his mind. One day, he was in his room so I called out 'Obinna!' from my own room, and he responded immediately 'yes!', only to realize later and said, 'no its ovunda'. I was laughing that day. Then I told him but why did you respond to Obinna when you claim your name is Ovunda. One day we were buying Akara and he told the woman (Nsukka elderly woman who likely could not speak English), 'nye m abuo', and I was like dude you just spoke Igbo and he said noo he spoke Etche. 'two is abuo in my language and ebo in igbo', and I'm like dude you're comparing Etche with Nsukka (two is ebo in nsukka, three is eto, four is eno) and in central igbo two is abuo. He went on to call out three, four in Nsukka as 'igbo' and how it is different from 'abuo, ato, ano' in 'his language'. I found the whole thing amusing. One day he needed some money which I didn't have because I was broke then, thinking that he could try his luck further he said 'remember I be your brother' but it came out forced, rather unwillingly than like he meant it. The extent these people can go to disclaim Igbo can be funny sometimes.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by ehikwe22: 2:47am On Apr 09, 2017
Too much fabrications on this thread. Kudos to you guys

5 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by cheruv: 10:03am On Apr 09, 2017
kpaminose:
Stop fooling yourself Mr IPOB. Asaba massacre didn't happen because they were Igbos, but because they were sympathetic to the Biafran cause. It's two different things. Many Aniocha Oshimili communities that were found to be one Nigerianists were not massacred.
Stop deceiving yourself man!! angry
When the IInd DIV came and found out that the bridge had been blown up, instead of launching a landing like that of Normandy or marching north and crossing the river at idah like they later did, they decided to stay back and kill every male in asaba,as they had done at ogwanshi Ukwu and iseile Ukwu.
But unlike that of ogwanshi and iseile that weren't well known, the survivors were able to cross the river into Biāfra and tell their stories, which reinforced Biafra's msg that Nigeria was out to kill every Igbo!
Nigeria started killing Western Igbos at Benin and Warri... And when the Biafran armies were thrown out of agbor and asaba they extended their massacres to those areas.
The Anioma were killed not because they expressed pro Biāfra sympathies, but bkos they were simply Igbos!

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by hammerF: 7:31pm On Apr 09, 2017
fratermathy:
You guys have turned this thread into Igbo tutorial classes.

Una Wehdone ooo!

U started an Igbo thread and u are complaining about Igbo Tutorial Classes. 4 ur mind, Anioma answer more Bini, Urhobo and Ijaw name than Igbo abi?

They dont feel the need to mention igbo becos that would be the same as stating the obvious. They know that they are Igbo, speak igbo, eat igbo food, answer igbo name, follow igbo culture. It is not a topic for debate.

However, they are not so bitter to ignore the cultural interaction, similarities and exchange with their neighbors.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by fratermathy(m): 3:06pm On Apr 12, 2017
All you liars, una wehdon O! Where the proudly Igbo de for here?

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by fratermathy(m): 3:09pm On Apr 12, 2017
^^^ bigfrancis21, Afam4eva, pazienza, etc. Can you all see what a mockery you made of yourselves on this direct reporting page?
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Afam4eva(m): 3:11pm On Apr 12, 2017
fratermathy:
^^^ bigfrancis21, Afam4eva, pazienza, etc. Can you all see what a mockery you made of yourselves on this direct reporting page?
Pls, endeavour to quote for for what i said and don't lump me into what i have no idea of.

There's a group called Proudly Anioma, Proudly Igbo which is different from proudly Anioma, that's why some people thought you got it from the Igbocentric Anioma group. I never highlighted that in any of my response.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by fratermathy(m): 3:14pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afam4eva:

Pls, endeavour to quote for for what i said and don't lump me into what i have no idea of.

There's a group called Proudly Anioma, Proudly Igbo which is different from proudly Anioma, that's why some people thought you got it from the Igbocentric Anioma group. I never highlighted that in any of my response.

Why would you just assumed that I got it from any Proudly Anioma Proudly Igbo group?

This is the direct link to the article:
https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=258607067606924&substory_index=0&id=153854601415505&refid=17&ref=br_rs&_ft_=top_level_post_id.258607047606926%3Atl_objid.258607047606926%3Athid.153854601415505%3A306061129499414%3A69%3A0%3A1493621999%3A3828926845663057249&__tn__=%2As

I don't care what you Igbos call Aniomas or what they call themselves. As far as I am concerned, they are all Igbo speaking people.

This post is a direct reportage of what I saw with an introduction fuelled by Anioma Wikipedia page. So I don't get what the fuss is about?

You guys can comment and post on Urhobo topics and I can't even REPORT what Aniomas posted on their own page again? Is that the new rule on nairaland?
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Afam4eva(m): 3:16pm On Apr 12, 2017
fratermathy:

Why would you just assumed that I got it from any proudly anioma proudly igbo group?
Do you have problems with simple comprehension? I never talked about where you lifted the article from, so don't involve me on that subject matter.

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by fratermathy(m): 3:17pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afam4eva:

Do you have problems with simple comprehension? I never talked about where you lifted the article from, so don't involve me on that subject matter.

I know you didn't say that. I only mentioned you for record's sake.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by bigfrancis21: 3:18pm On Apr 12, 2017
fratermathy:

Why would you just assumed that I got it from any Proudly Anioma Proudly Igbo group?

This is the direct link to the article:
https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=258607067606924&substory_index=0&id=153854601415505&refid=17&ref=br_rs&_ft_=top_level_post_id.258607047606926%3Atl_objid.258607047606926%3Athid.153854601415505%3A306061129499414%3A69%3A0%3A1493621999%3A3828926845663057249&__tn__=%2As

I don't care what you Igbos call Aniomas or what they call themselves. As far as I am concerned, they are all Igbo speaking people.

This post is a direct reportage of what I saw with an introduction fuelled by Anioma Wikipedia page. So I don't get what the fuss is about?

You guys can comment and post on Urhobo topics and I can't even REPORT what Aniomas posted on their own page again? Is that the new rule on nairaland?

I apologize on that and take that back. The proudly anioma proudly igbo group is a closed group and I cannot get in there to confirm if this same post is also on there.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by fratermathy(m): 3:21pm On Apr 12, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I apologize on that and take that back. The proudly anioma proudly igbo group is a closed group and I cannot get in there to confirm if this same post is also on there.

I realised I was a member of the group when you shared that screenshot on the other thread.

Yes, the post is also there but that's NOT where I got it from. I only realised it was there when I went to search for it today. However, many Igbos flagged it down.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Afam4eva(m): 3:25pm On Apr 12, 2017
fratermathy:

I know you didn't say that. I only mentioned you for record's sake.
Ok then.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by bigfrancis21: 3:30pm On Apr 12, 2017
fratermathy:

I realised I was a member of the group when you shared that screenshot on the other thread.

Yes, the post is also there but that's NOT where I got it from. I only realised it was there when I went to search for it today. However, many Igbos flagged it down.

Screenshot on the other thread taken down.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by kpaminose: 2:05am On Apr 17, 2017
cheruv:

Stop deceiving yourself man!! angry
When the IInd DIV came and found out that the bridge had been blown up, instead of launching a landing like that of Normandy or marching north and crossing the river at idah like they later did, they decided to stay back and kill every male in asaba,as they had done at ogwanshi Ukwu and iseile Ukwu.
But unlike that of ogwanshi and iseile that weren't well known, the survivors were able to cross the river into Biāfra and tell their stories, which reinforced Biafra's msg that Nigeria was out to kill every Igbo!
Nigeria started killing Western Igbos at Benin and Warri... And when the Biafran armies were thrown out of agbor and asaba they extended their massacres to those areas.
The Anioma were killed not because they expressed pro Biāfra sympathies, but bkos they were simply Igbos!
Aniomas were not killed. People were massacred in Asaba and few people were also selectively killed in some few other Oshimili communities. People that were known to be supporting the biafrans were pointed out and killed. It's in Asaba that they killed indiscriminately. I'm not supporting massacre but fact should be fact. Ika people were not killed.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Cire80: 8:25am On Apr 17, 2017
hammerF:

U started an Igbo thread and u are complaining about Igbo Tutorial Classes. 4 ur mind, Anioma answer more Bini, Urhobo and Ijaw name than Igbo abi?

They dont feel the need to mention igbo becos that would be the same as stating the obvious. They know that they are Igbo, speak igbo, eat igbo food, answer igbo name, follow igbo culture. It is not a topic for debate.

However, they are not so bitter to ignore the cultural interaction, similarities and exchange with their neighbors.
He started an Anioma thread and not an Igbo thread.n even the page he lifted that post from didn't say it's an Anioma and not Igbo. Even the so called Igbo word is not a popular Igbo word. Many Igbo people don't know the meaning but an average Anioma / Esan guy knows what uya/Oya means which suggests you guys borrowed it from us. You guys are so ignorant of othero cultures . Majority of the Anioma traditions and culture you think are of Igbo origin also exist in Edo and they're actually of Edo origin. Ika practice Edo culture. Only a fool will dispute this.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Dhugal: 10:53pm On Apr 17, 2017
kpaminose:
Aniomas were not killed. People were massacred in Asaba and few people were also selectively killed in some few other Oshimili communities. People that were known to be supporting the biafrans were pointed out and killed. It's in Asaba that they killed indiscriminately. I'm not supporting massacre but fact should be fact. Ika people were not killed.
Liar.
Those that were killed in Igbodo are not Ika, abi?
And what the hell do you mean by "Aniomas were not killed"?.So,Asaba,Igbodo,Ogwashiukwu and other communities that had their people killed are not Anioma to you?.
You sound like that compound fool,Solomon Mgbejume
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by kpaminose: 11:15pm On Apr 17, 2017
Dhugal:

Liar.
Those that were killed in Igbodo are not Ika, abi?
And what the hell do you mean by "Aniomas were not killed"?.So,Asaba,Igbodo,Ogwashiukwu and other communities that had their people killed are not Anioma to you?.
You sound like that compound fool,Solomon Mgbejume
Igbodo is the only Ika community where people were pointed out and murdered. The people that were murdered were suspected of supporting Biafra. That's how it happened in few other Anioma communities. Some people in Ika don't even consider Igbodo an Ika clan. Ika was the base of the Nigerian Army. Ika language saved many people during the Civil War.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by pazienza(m): 12:40am On Apr 18, 2017
kpaminose:
Igbodo is the only Ika community where people were pointed out and murdered. The people that were murdered were suspected of supporting Biafra. That's how it happened in few other Anioma communities. Some people in Ika don't even consider Igbodo an Ika clan. Ika was the base of the Nigerian Army. Ika language saved many people during the Civil War.

Stop lying. Igbodo wasn't the only town in Ika where people were killed.

By the way, it's a known fact that Ika towns supported the Biafran war efforts and applaude the appointment of Okonkwo as the governor of the Midwest.

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by kpaminose: 12:49am On Apr 18, 2017
pazienza:

Stop lying. Igbodo wasn't the only town in Ika where people were killed.

By the way, it's a known fact that Ika towns supported the Biafran war efforts and applaude the appointment of Okonkwo as the governor of the Midwest.
Name the other Ika town. Ika didn't support Biafra. Igbos and fabrication. I'm not surprised. It's your second nature

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Signs MOU With SpringPort Technological Group / Emir Sanusi Disowns Instagram, Facebook & Twitter Accounts / How I Stopped Herdsmen From Entering My Community — Edo Monarch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.