Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) (111453 Views)

Expanded Polystyrene And Some Of Its Application / Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) / ALTERNATIVE BUILDING TECHNOLOGY (RED INTERLOCKING BRICKS) COMPARATIVE COST ANALY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 10:00am On Apr 16, 2017
Attached on this thread are some pics, but if you need more pics you can send me a mail on frugesarenaltd@gmail.com . I will work on cost of cast insuite and post it soon.
We sell and can also fix it for you, it can't be fixed by any mason, there are people trained to do that.
I will be expecting your mail

2 Likes

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Mailthaddeus(m): 10:30am On Apr 16, 2017
Polystyrene is not a structural material and cannot be used to sustain building loads. I doubt if it can even be used as formworks cos woods and steel forms are much cheaper cos it can be reuseable over again and again.
As for slabs, it has alongside other cheaper materials like hollow bricks been used for waffle slabs and this doesn't necessarily translate to cheaper cost, as it follows a different design approach to normal solid slab. It's only visible advantage is dat it reduces the weight of the slab by over 50%.

However, it is perfect for short parapets and window hoods.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 8:41pm On Apr 18, 2017
Polyethylene used for make shift decorative apartment. Can be used for stage stage designs

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by edaolaropin: 10:38pm On Apr 18, 2017
Please, kindly help with a cost comparison as someone asked earlier.

3 Likes

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Osezzua(m): 10:39pm On Apr 18, 2017
lovely
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by clem62000(m): 8:32am On Apr 19, 2017
[quote author=Teewhy2 post=55611707]Attached on this thread are some pics, but if you need more pics you can send me a mail on frugesarenaltd@gmail.com . I will work on cost of cast insuite and post it soon.
We sell and can also fix it for you, it can't be fixed by any mason, there are people trained to do that.
I will be expecting your mail[/qequ

cle62000@gmail.com am considering using it for parapet if it is cost effective as against the conventional one
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:40am On Apr 19, 2017
[quote author=clem62000 post=55701032][/quote]
Sent
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by siralos135: 12:09pm On Apr 19, 2017
Please, kindly help with a cost comparison as someone asked earlier.
seeolusolaopaleye@gmail.com

pls send as soon as possible.I am currently expecting quotation from my engineer for paraplet and roofing.I want to discuss this with him today.
thanks
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 5:23pm On Apr 19, 2017
morningsta:

I just completed my parapet. If only I knew about this alternative ... @ Op, is this material suitable for soak away pit in a loose and swampy soil?
saydfact:

cc: morningsta:

Then i want to believe the polystyrene is reinforced and cast in concrete - this is using polystyrene as a formwork and not as a wall...
I guess what morningsta is asking is just pre-forming polystyrene to the shape of a septic tank and burying it.

Polystyrene alone cannot withstand that load - expect its reinforced and concrete poured in thereby changing it to a formwork - However, please get across to the manufacturers and we all can learn from it.

Thanks.
Mailthaddeus:
Polystyrene is not a structural material and cannot be used to sustain building loads. I doubt if it can even be used as formworks cos woods and steel forms are much cheaper cos it can be reuseable over again and again.
As for slabs, it has alongside other cheaper materials like hollow bricks been used for waffle slabs and this doesn't necessarily translate to cheaper cost, as it follows a different design approach to normal solid slab. It's only visible advantage is dat it reduces the weight of the slab by over 50%.

However, it is perfect for short parapets and window hoods.

after contacting the manufacturers, I was told that if the Soak away isn't located on the drive way on the site polystyrene wire mesh panel can be used.
i couldn't secure a picture of it used for soak away but was given picture of how it was used iin sub structural area like Inspection chamber, Catch basin , manholes e.t.c in water logged area in ikoyi-Lagos.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Realdon1(m): 6:11pm On Apr 19, 2017
Please send some pictures on my watsap. I have a deal with you now. 08063682975
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 6:46pm On Apr 19, 2017
Realdon1:
Please send some pictures on my watsap. I have a deal with you now. 08063682975
Kindly send a mail to frugesarenaltd@gmail.com so that I can forward all necessary information to you.
Thanks
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by imcfuta: 4:39pm On Apr 20, 2017
i'm an Architect based in Akure. pls can i be guided on the possible sale and installation of this bussiness. thanks.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by MONITZ: 6:18am On Apr 21, 2017
Teewhy2:

Thanks for the comment, we can be of use if you need to buy some polystyrene materials

price and specifications?
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by ceelog(m): 6:54am On Apr 21, 2017
I am really struggling to understand the foam and iron set up. Seems more beams will be used. But really the important question will be that for a slab area of say 160m2 will this be more cost-effective than normal concrete slab?

Teewhy2:

Attached are pictures of it used in slab
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:57am On Apr 21, 2017
ceelog:
I am really struggling to understand the foam and iron set up. Seems more beams will be used. But really the important question will be that for a slab area of say 160m2 will this be more cost-effective than normal concrete slab?

This depends on your architectural and structural plan as slabs are supported at different and varying points, some places with cantilever will need more reinforcement. i think if you have architectural and structural plan, the cost can be calculated.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by jubor(m): 4:31pm On Apr 22, 2017
Oga op, please what's the cost implication of using this polystyrene as compared to concrete parapet? Am on a project right now and am yet to decide on the type of facia to use.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 7:55pm On Apr 22, 2017
jubor:
Oga op, please what's the cost implication of using this polystyrene as compared to concrete parapet? Am on a project right now and am yet to decide on the type of facia to use.

Sir can you mail me the perimeter of the building and I can send you the cost, kindly consider the recess and roof eave. You can use this cost to compare with what you have in concrete price
In the meantime I can mail you the price per linear meter (material+installation)
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 4:48pm On Apr 24, 2017
Are you building in a swampy/ water Logged area and you want to do Piling Foundation?
Safe money by introducing polystyrene material in your floor slab and Roof parapet as this helps cuts your building load by about 40 percent and by so doing reduce the depth of your Piling Foundation.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by EfeEj(m): 11:05pm On Apr 25, 2017
Welldone Op Teewhy,

We need more Alternative building materials to be adopted in our build industry.

I will mail you some plans from from greenliveprojectsltd@gmail.com. need costing ASAP

Regards,

ARC. Efe.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 8:18am On Apr 26, 2017
EfeEj:
Welldone Op Teewhy,

We need more Alternative building materials to be adopted in our build industry.

I will mail you some plans from from greenliveprojectsltd@gmail.com. need costing ASAP

Regards,

ARC. Efe.

Will be expecting your mail sir
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 4:59pm On Apr 26, 2017
Reference:

Are parapets not supposed to be structural members because I have seen a number of spectacular failures of this material. Remember we are in the tropics and this means strong winds and torrential rainfall.

Polystyrene parapets are very strong to withstand all the roof load imposed on it including vibration. polystyrene because of its strength are used in some bridge and road construction.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Donemmy(m): 7:18pm On Apr 26, 2017
pls I m a novice in this field can u expatiate on d suitability of the material for roofing. can it be also used as an alternative to roofing sheet? how about cost implications, availability, easiness of installation?
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by dennisworld1(m): 7:29pm On Apr 27, 2017
Love this thread. Can it be use for decking
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 8:53pm On Apr 27, 2017
dennisworld1:
Love this thread. Can it be use for decking
It can be used in decking but you will the help of your structural engineer to consider it in the slab design and reinforcement.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by emmaliver(m): 12:56pm On Apr 28, 2017
Ok
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Brainardc(m): 2:22pm On Apr 28, 2017
I love this thread..........quite informative
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by micfoley: 12:44am On Apr 30, 2017
OK well done. We really need a cost comparison eg have you used .polystyrene. for decking ie slab before? If yes how much was saved from using conventional concrete alone? Same for parapet

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by mikolo80: 2:38am On Apr 30, 2017
abdulwastecx:

Thank you o bross. I think polystyrene is a very good material, it is a matter of time before people start using it in large quantities.

I have an ongoing job that I am the consultant and I proposed the use of the polystyrene for the slab (waffle slab) because of its light weight and cost effectiveness.

I am also working on a large scale low cost housing scheme where polystyrene will be sue for the flat roof and some interior designs at these stage we are still looking for investors to key into this initiative.

I am ready to go into detail discussion with whoever wants to use polystyrene for any type of work.
sell shares and you will get all the capital you need
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 8:08am On Apr 30, 2017
micfoley:
OK well done. We really need a cost comparison eg have you used .polystyrene. for decking ie slab before? If yes how much was saved from using conventional concrete alone? Same for parapet

It is best we look at in through out the building life cycle, because taking a particular stage say slab for example the cost difference might not look to fantastic but let say you want to do piling foundation or you are going beyond a floor you will appreciate the cost difference. That's when you plan to use it in slabs / parapet your building load would have been reduced and when the structural engineer is calculating the foundation, let say for example with concrete your load is about 500kg and the depth of your piling should be 15 meters, with polystyrene in some strategic places your load can reduced to like 300 kg and this will help reduce the depth of your piling say to like say 10-12 meters and sometimes reduce the piling points. If you compare what has been saved in the long run you will appreciate the cost difference and also reduce the pressure you are putting on the land especially when the place is a bit swampy or water logged.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by micfoley: 6:32pm On Apr 30, 2017
Teewhy2:

It is best we look at in through out the building life cycle, because taking a particular stage say slab for example the cost difference might not look to fantastic but let say you want to do piling foundation or you are going beyond a floor you will appreciate the cost difference. That's when you plan to use it in slabs / parapet your building load would have been reduced and when the structural engineer is calculating the foundation, let say for example with concrete your load is about 500kg and the depth of your piling should be 15 meters, with polystyrene in some strategic places your load can reduced to like 300 kg and this will help reduce the depth of your piling say to like say 10-12 meters and sometimes reduce the piling points. If you compare what has been saved in the long run you will appreciate the cost difference and also reduce the pressure you are putting on the land especially when the place is a bit swampy or water logged.

Thanks for this explanation.
I am presently on a project and am about to complete the foundation. Its a bungalow with atop two room penthouse on top. I am now considering using polystyrene for the slab for I have the belief it will take less time to set ie about 5 to 7 days compared to 3 weeks for conventional concrete. We did not plan to use it ab initio so we went ahead to do a normal German floor. My question is will it be more affordable compared to conventional concrete at this stage.
I'm asking the same question regarding the parapet as well
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 7:59am On May 01, 2017
micfoley:

Thanks for this explanation.
I am presently on a project and am about to complete the foundation. Its a bungalow with atop two room penthouse on top. I am now considering using polystyrene for the slab for I have the belief it will take less time to set ie about 5 to 7 days compared to 3 weeks for conventional concrete. We did not plan to use it ab initio so we went ahead to do a normal German floor. My question is will it be more affordable compared to conventional concrete at this stage.
I'm asking the same question regarding the parapet as well
I think no matter what stage you introduce it you will still save something, in this recession 10k is something and definitely I expect it to be more. You can send me your plan at frugesarenaltd@gmail.com to calculate the roof parapet and you can compare with concrete parapet.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Kitchen cabinets, Wardrobes & Doors @ Touchstone Design Solutions / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.