Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:37 PM

Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) - Properties (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) (110410 Views)

Expanded Polystyrene And Some Of Its Application / Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) / ALTERNATIVE BUILDING TECHNOLOGY (RED INTERLOCKING BRICKS) COMPARATIVE COST ANALY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 1:33pm On Aug 04, 2020
Beframia:

Hello Teewhy2,

I sent you a mail, kindly review and advise AQAP. My quoted perimeter is 59m, kindly on your own include the length of standard eaves measurement and offcut tolerance.

Sorry for the late response sir,
we have responded to the email sent.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 1:38pm On Aug 04, 2020
we have always been asked how does the standard design of 350 mm x 350mm parapet look on a storey building, so we decide to put up a recent installation of how it looks like on the building.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 1:42pm On Aug 04, 2020
Final outlook of the 350 x 350 mm standard parapet, this was done without roof beam casting, it is strong though but I prefer and encourage clients to always cast roof beam with it to make it more stronger .
there is a strong bond between the polystyrene panels with concrete.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 1:43pm On Aug 04, 2020
final picture of the 350 x 350 mm polystyrene panels.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by mufutau55(m): 1:47pm On Aug 04, 2020
Teewhy2:
Final outlook of the 350 x 350 mm standard parapet, this was done without roof beam casting, it is strong though but I prefer and encourage clients to always cast roof beam with it to make it more stronger .
there is a strong bond between the polystyrene panels with concrete.

Thank you for showing the external work. But it would have been also better to show us how the internal was done... by that you will climb and show us the internal work of the parapet.. how it was attached to the top wall.
Thank you.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 1:53pm On Aug 04, 2020
mufutau55:

Thank you for showing the external work. But it would have been also better to show us how the internal was done... by that you will climb and show us the internal work of the parapet.. how it was attached to the top wall.
Thank you.

Hajji M.
Sorry my Oga, I will try to take another picture of the internal works next time, the installer has left the site and as soon as I have another installation of this nature, I will update the page.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by mufutau55(m): 5:14pm On Aug 05, 2020
Oga mi, some questions:

1. Is this polystyrene parapet fire resistant?
2. How is the area in the polystrene parapet joints, like in the edges reinforced?

If you have Whatsapp number, can you please furnish me with it? Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 3:29pm On Aug 06, 2020
mufutau55:
Oga mi, some questions:

1. Is this polystyrene parapet fire resistant?
2. How is the area in the polystrene parapet joints, like in the edges reinforced?

If you have Whatsapp number, can you please furnish me with it? Thanks.

Hajji M.

Sir,

1)The polystyrene according to the information from the factory is fire resistance. what normally happens when subjected to fire is that it turn to molten form from my own experience.

2) The surface of normal polystyrene parapet materials comes with a fibre mesh material, which can also be seen on the ceiling pictures, this makes the surface very strong. The finishing of the two joints on roof parapet is done with polyplaster ( a special chemical for polystyrene). there are no external reinforcement introduced on the joints apart from the poly plaster adhesive.

my email is frugesarenaltd@gmail.com from there we can exchange whatsapp details.
thanks for the questions.

1 Share

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by mufutau55(m): 4:12pm On Aug 06, 2020
Teewhy2:

Sir,

1)The polystyrene according to the information from the factory is fire resistance. what normally happens when subjected to fire is that it turn to molten form from my own experience.

2) The surface of normal polystyrene parapet materials comes with a fibre mesh material, which can also be seen on the ceiling pictures, this makes the surface very strong. The finishing of the two joints on roof parapet is done with polyplaster ( a special chemical for polystyrene). there are no external reinforcement introduced on the joints apart from the poly plaster adhesive.

my email is frugesarenaltd@gmail.com from there we can exchange whatsapp details.

Thank you very much for the explanations Sir.
I/We should contact you soon. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Beframia: 9:17pm On Aug 06, 2020
Email received.

Thank you sir.

Teewhy2:

Sorry for the late response sir,
we have responded to the email sent.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by One4me: 9:18pm On Aug 09, 2020
Teewhy2:

Sir,

It is completely FALSE and MISLEADING to say this Polystrene EPS Parapet is Fire Ressistant, except there is another meaning to that word, without any proof
Anything that can burn or is changeable by fire is NOT Fire Resistant.

A fire resistant object will not burn or catch fire, when subjected to Fire or intense heat.

And as the Distibutor or Seller,, l am sure it will not cost you anything to do a Video, set fire to a off-cut, small part of the EPS material and record if it burns and or gets burnt.
We dont need "opinion" or what you think, we need facts because decisions of using a product when it comes to fire ressistance, affect peoples lives and should not be taken at face value.

For example, what happenes if a neighbours buidling catches fire, how does the intense heat/fire affects the EPS Parapet of the next house?
How is the EPS Parapet affected, when the house it is installed on, catches fire? Does it melt and fuel the fire or just remains up there unaffected?

I actually simulated a small sample of the same material used in Coolers (not one moulded to the Parapet shape but same EPS material), set fire to it and it burned so much, emitting very toxic fumes tha would even kill faster than the fire.
[b]So does this EPS Parapet behave same way?[/b]We need to know.

From what you posted (and l dont know why we need a magnifying lense to reach such important information?), the addttives in the EPS (SE Grade) is very, very small (0.5% by weight) such that it will only stop burning "if" the fire or heat source is removed very quickly otherwise it will burn beyond recovery (Page 27) but we all know that this scenario is never or rarely presented in a house fire!
It also said that the EPS-SE Grade starts melting at 100 Degrees, which is just the temperature at which water boils!

Your document states that EPS SE grade IGNITES at 370 Degrees but Normal Fire burns at 800 degrees, which means it will be easily burnt by normal fire. Where then is the "Fire Ressiatant" claim coming from?
What l see here is that an 0.5% quantity of a fire ressiting chemical (HBCD) is added to normal EPS, to make it this SE Grade so as to slightly reduce its affinity for fire but you have to add as much as 10% by weight of it, to have any meaningful effect on the fire ressisting ability of the product, yet only 0.5% is added to this one and you are claiming it is fire ressistant? shocked shocked
Its all there in the page 26 and 27 of that document you posted

I will like to use the product but you are hoarding information and stating 'personal opinions' as scientific fact!, which makes it very suspect.
All l can say is BUYERS BEWARE.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Miscellaneous(m): 11:59pm On Aug 09, 2020
Why is no one talking about polystyrene ceiling? I would like to know about it
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by mufutau55(m): 1:20am On Aug 10, 2020
One4me:

It is completely FALSE and MISLEADING to say this Polystrene EPS Parapet is Fire Ressistant, except there is another meaning to that word, without any proof

A fire resistant object will not burn or catch fire, when subjected to Fire or intense heat.

And as the Distibutor or Seller,, l am sure it will not cost you anything to do a Video, set fire to a off-cut, small part of the EPS material and record if it burns and or gets burnt.
We dont need "opinion" or what you think, we need facts because decisions of using a product when it comes to fire ressistance, affect peoples lives and should not be taken at face value.

For example, what happenes if a neighbours buidling catches fire, how does the intense heat/fire affects the EPS Parapet of the next house?
How is the EPS Parapet affected, when the house it is installed on, catches fire? Does it melt and fuel the fire or just remains up there unaffected?

I actually simulated a small sample of the same material used in Coolers (not one moulded to the Parapet shape but same EPS material), set fire to it and it burned so much, emitting very toxic fumes tha would even kill faster than the fire.

From what you posted (and l dont know why we need a magnifying lense to reach such important information?), the addttives in the EPS (SE Grade) is very, very small (0.5% by weight) such that it will only stop burning "if" the fire or heat source is removed very quickly otherwise it will burn beyond recovery (Page 27) but we all know that this scenario is never or rarely presented in a house fire!
It also said that the EPS-SE Grade starts melting at 100 Degrees, which is just the temperature at which water boils!

Your document states that EPS SE grade IGNITES at 370 Degrees but Normal Fire burns at 800 degrees, which means it will be easily burnt by normal fire. Where then is the "Fire Ressiatant" claim coming from?
What l see here is that an 0.5% quantity of a fire ressiting chemical (HBCD) is added to normal EPS, to make it this SE Grade so as to slightly reduce its affinity for fire but you have to add as much as 10% by weight of it, to have any meaningful effect on the fire ressisting ability of the product, yet only 0.5% is added to this one and you are claiming it is fire ressistant? shocked shocked

I will like to use the product but you are hoarding information and stating 'personal opinions' as scientific fact!, which makes it very suspect.

DAMN! Thank you very much @One4me

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 10:43am On Aug 10, 2020
One4me:

Sir,
Thank you for the observation and I don't intend to hoard any information or mislead anyone, from the document available to me which I posted to shows that doesn't burn easily when under fire and I stated that from my own experience it changes state to a molten form.
The document is in PDF format and I had to snap to make post it but I will post the things under it for you to see.

General
Expanded polystyrene is derived mainly from styrene monomer
and expanded to form a cellular structure substantially of closed
cells. When considering the fire behaviour of any building
material it is important to realise that the assessment must
be based on its performance in end-use conditions. This
performance will depend on not only the chemical nature of the
material but to a greater extent on its physical state. Thus the
important factors which must be considered in determining the
potential fire hazard of EPS are:
• the foam density and shape of the product
• its configuration relative to an ignition source
• the use of any bonding to a substrate or facing
• the location of the product (which will influence
the heat transport)
• the availability of oxygen (ventilation

Stages of a Building fire
(How a Building fire develops) When a building is in everyday
use at normal temperature conditions, there is a natural balance
between flammable materials and oxygen in the environment.
However at the initial stage of a fire, ignition energy comes
into contact with the flammable material. Above a temperature
of approximately 200° C, the material will give off flammable
gases, which will combust either due to the original ignition
energy or spontaneously. In the case of gases, combustion can
lead directly to flames whereas with solid materials, such as
furniture, they first become glowing ignition sources. In the first
stage of a fire, there is a gradual build up of heat energy in the
form of combustible gases. Up to this point the temperature
is still relatively low and the fire is still localised within the
building. Then all of a sudden a development takes place, called
‘flash-over’, in which the temperature increases significantly and
the fire suddenly spreads all over the compartment. After this
flash-over the chances of rescuing people and equipment are
greatly reduced. The fire then spreads throughout the whole of
the building and will finally go out without human intervention
due to the lack of flammable materials.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:51am On Aug 11, 2020
Also looking at the surface of the EPS for parapet it has a covering on it (poly plaster + Fibre Mesh) on the surface which doesn't burn. the polyplaster is like normal cement so if you cast a roof beam just like the attached below there is no way fire will get to it from the front and also from the back which has already prevented fire from getting to it.

if used as ceiling, the surface already has POP cement used in plastering the surface this also will prevent the surface from direct contact with fire.

cc One4me

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:14am On Aug 13, 2020
Miscellaneous:
Why is no one talking about polystyrene ceiling? I would like to know about it

sir,
Sorry I missed this message, Polystyrene are used in ceiling designs just like POP.
It is not destroyed by water like POP even if there is a leakage from the roof, if the leakage is not much the water will not get into the building but dry up on the ceiling.
Polystyrene ceiling add an extra layer of insulation between the false ceiling and the roof of the structure.

The materials needed for polystyrene ceiling includes:
Polystyrene Panel:- (30 /40 mm) depending on level of Insulation. I also prefer 40 mm but majority go for 30 mm. The quantity of panels to be used also depends on the design as some design will engulp materials than the other.

Binding wire: To hang the panels to the ceiling.
3" Normal Nail
Concrete Nail 2"
Filas (sponge)
Top bond 5 kg
White Cement
Screeding paint
Fiber mesh (To cover all Surfaces):- The advantage of using it is that it prevent the surface from damage from external puncture also it doesn't allow cracks at the panel joints. many people don't use it but it is the best it makes it more expensive as you need to screed the surface like 3ce compared to 2ce when you install without the fibre mesh.

Range

2 Likes

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:19am On Aug 13, 2020
These are some of the work in progress of polystyrene ceiling, these will show you how it is been done and for you to identify some of the materials mentioned earlier.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:26am On Aug 13, 2020
After covering of the surfaces with fibre mesh, even though some of the designs attracted many joints the mesh will not allow cracks at the surfaces .
below are some of the pictures for work in progress in screeding the surfaces after installation of the mesh.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 3:45pm On Aug 17, 2020
These are also some designs using polystyrene.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by brightalo1010: 12:42am On Aug 20, 2020
Teewhy2:
These are also some designs using polystyrene.
Drop contact
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 3:18pm On Aug 20, 2020
brightalo1010:

Drop contact

sir,
You can contact us on frugesarenaltd@gmail.com
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Aiyegbajeje2001: 8:09pm On Aug 20, 2020
Excellent
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by gungab(m): 9:39pm On Aug 20, 2020
Can you do estimate for 51by24 ft building. Hit me up gurella007@gmail.com
Teewhy2:
With the current increasing cost in building a house in Nigeria, and with the Nigeria Culture/Mentality
“I must have my own House” a lot of Nigerians have been looking for various building material options which are relatively cheaper and perform the same function as the conventional ones.

One of such material options which I will be focusing on this thread is Expanded Polystyrene (EPS), This material is strong, durable, light weight, water resistance with excellent thermal insulation which is very popular in Environmentally “Green” Homes.

Expanded Polystyrene is an affordable and incredibly sustainable choice in the construction circle due to versatility and performance.

It can be used in construction as a structural base infill for example in floor Slab, Roads, Bridges Railway infrastructure, or as a structural element of its own, Roof Eaves, wall (partition), Décor Materials.

Structural test carried on EPS has showing that after used in construction for 30 years still remain strong as when first used.

I will be focusing on Polystyrene Roof Cornices (Parapet) in the next few days

If you are in a dilemma on the cost of constructing Roof Parapet for your building, or your building is located on a loose soil, I will advise you to go for Polystyrene roof parapet due to the following reasons.

It is Light in weight
It is cheaper compared to concrete (that is it eliminates the cost of wood form work both material and labour, less reinforcement)
It is faster and easy to install.
It is Neater than most parapet as it has been formed using a machine.

Let us look at how Polystyrene Parapet is installed

The proper way of installing Polystyrene is first to install a 2 x 2 softwood around the building area where the parapet will seat to take levels and also to make sure it is set on a straight line. In order to reduce cost you can make use of rope line to take reference between the two corners of the side of a building and when you are sure it is straight, then nail at interval of 600mm (2 feets) and place the parapets on it.

The Second stage is fastening of the Roof parapet to the open roof beam reinforcement ( less I forget you can either leave part of the roof beam reinforcement say 1” open when you are doing the roof beam casting or cast the roof beam after the Roof parapet has been fastening to the roof reinforcement with the aid of binding wire and nails).

The next stage is that a light casting of saying 1½” is done on the roof beam to cover all open reinforcement.

The Last stage is to screed the joints of the Roofing parapet to have a uniform and smooth surface.

Next time we will be looking at the cost of Polystyrene parapet as against in situ Parapet.

My ogas (these people I am mentioning don’t know me because I have been a silent reader of some of their posts) Skimanski , spyder880 , mufutau55 , Segcymoor , Twinskenny , saydfact , FastShipping , rotecch77 , ArcBoB , ba7man , CASTOSVILLA , abdulwastecx , thewatcher2020 , cribpark , lawyer and many others not mentioned in this post
In the house, you can tell us about your experience using polystyrene as a building material either as roof parapet, or fill in for concrete, etc.

For more information on Polystyrene material feel free to contact me on frugesarenaltd@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by chairmanawe(m): 8:36pm On Aug 24, 2020
Pls can you drop ur whatsapp contact? It is easier for me than mail. Thk u. I need to use the EPS asap
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 1:57pm On Aug 25, 2020
gungab:
Can you do estimate for 51by24 ft building. Hit me up gurella007@gmail.com

Sir,
For Just responding, Is it possible to have the architectural drawing sent to frugesarenaltd@gmail.com so that we can make a proper estimate as we are not sure if there are recess on the building or is a perfect rectangle as this will affect the linear meter needed. Just as seen in the attached.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 2:03pm On Aug 25, 2020
chairmanawe:
Pls can you drop ur whatsapp contact? It is easier for me than mail. Thk u. I need to use the EPS asap

Good Day sir,
can you drop your email address or mail me to on frugesarenaltd@gmail.com then from there I can drop my whatsapp contact as it makes it more easy to track discussion and also not contravene the rules on nairaland.
Thanks for the understanding.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:02am On Aug 26, 2020
mufutau55:

Thank you.

Hajji M.

Sir,
just attaching these pictures as promised and for other readers that might want to also see how it is attached if the client is not casting beam or how it will be attached to an existing house that needs facelift.
Kindly note that the roof beam or any part of the roof (wood) member will not be sitting on the beam, the panel is just like a cover to the roofing.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:04am On Aug 26, 2020
More pictures of panel on wall without roof beam casting.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by mufutau55(m): 1:14pm On Aug 26, 2020
Teewhy2:

Sir,
just attaching these pictures as promised and for other readers that might want to also see how it is attached if the client is not casting beam or how it will be attached to an existing house that needs facelift.
Kindly note that the roof beam or any part of the roof (wood) member will not be sitting on the beam, the panel is just like a cover to the roofing.

Thank you very much for the illustrative explanation and pictures Sir. Now I have gained more knowledge.

Hajji M.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 2:15pm On Aug 27, 2020
People ask why polystyrene, then I asked why not Polystyrene?

see below on some advantages

A building framework constructed using polystyrene technology costs 30% less than traditional system. Arising from low cost foundation, fast construction method with less labour and no lintel level cast.

All types of foundations are used for polystyrene buildings based on the building type, load and geological characteristics of the ground.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (25) (Reply)

Nexthome Builders: 2014/2015 New and Ongoing Projects / Kitchen cabinets, Wardrobes & Doors @ Touchstone Design Solutions / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.