Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,900 members, 7,806,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:21 PM

Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise (14770 Views)

My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by andyanders: 8:33pm On Apr 06, 2017
buygala:
You can sue that your old landlord for breach of contract and claim damages in millions...since you already have a lawyer, please contact him on how to proceed on that if you so wish.

But You can't proceed against the new landlord because there is no contract between both of you. ....he is just doing what is needful to possess his possession.

You already have a lawyer who from your narration, knows what he is doing smiley....if you still feel he isn't diligent enough, pay him his outstanding fees and get a new one ...

Cheers cool

Well said. He can even go to EFCC and get an order to arrest the old Lanlord because he defrauded them. He knowingly collected rent from his tenants and also sold the house off.

He should be charged for fraud.

If you have a lawyer, go to EFCC, he will end up sharing that money he sold the house as he end up refunding all those he collected their money form of which their rent are still running.

2 Likes

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by pokipoki: 8:55pm On Apr 06, 2017
Well from my little experience The new landlord had to wait 8 months for my rent to expire. After then he gave us additional 6 months grace to search for alternative accomodation.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by tonio2wo: 8:59pm On Apr 06, 2017
Tenim47:
are you not flushing toilet after using

Learn to read!

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by Jonbosco89: 10:01pm On Apr 06, 2017
Wayo in-law ..... take money and collect woman back..... give me my money back and collect your daughter or give me woman back and collect money
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by tonyflash43(m): 10:03pm On Apr 06, 2017
ok, check my signature
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by omogidi234(m): 10:26pm On Apr 06, 2017
I have read the first page and seen countless wise counsel. However, let me add my own little idea.

Your lawyer is doing well.

Also, I want to use this medium to advise us, once a property is sold and you are given 6 months, please gladly take it and use that time to look for new apartment. If the 6 months would expire while your tenancy is still running, it is illegal but please ask for refund for the months beyond the 6 months' notice.

Now let us discuss as friend, from the way the new landlord is behaving, it is likely he wants to use LABSCA or touts to eject you. If he does that, your lawyer can bring contempt proceeding. He could be jailed at the pleasure of the Court. You know a crazy landlord​ may not mind going to jail for 2 months just so he gets you out.

If a landlord throws your things out illegally​, what you would get is damages but you would not be restored to possession.

Bottom line, as the case is on going, do a serious house hunting.

I wish you all the best.

3 Likes

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by bizgai(m): 11:10pm On Apr 06, 2017
vickylala239:

Kindly note that a landlord has every right by law to evict his tenant even if you paid to day..

The law gives him the right to give u notice from court to evict Any of his tenant,depending on the rent terms..

The law gives him the right to return the funds...

SO be Sure he gave u right notice the notice should be enough for you to get another apartment...

Yearly tenancy is entitle to 6mnths notice..

Half paymnt tenant 3mnths..

The rest is monthly...

Goodluck....

Rather than go fighting your landlord. Try searching for a new place,he Dnt Jst want you to leave that place, God knows why....I believe God is sending you to meet What you Hv been praying for..
In otherword God knows best!!!!!!

Mean while for THOSE who need platform for financial stability should contact me through my number below!!!!! WHATSAPP alone........information is power
you are right but he can see a mediator for advice
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by KingDonaz(m): 12:00am On Apr 07, 2017
Wait for Court.
Bt people are wicked sha.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by alexiej(m): 6:29am On Apr 07, 2017
peacekante:
PLEASE I NEED ADVICE

Hello nairalanders,
Pardon my long write up

I write with so much pain and uncertainty of what will be in 3days time

The apartment i stay with my family was sold to a new landlord and ever since that building was sold, all the tenants in the apartment have been tormented by the new landlord. let me furnish the you with the history of what has transpired since the former landlord sold to the new landlord. On august 2017, news were flying that our compound has been sold to a new buyer. on hearing the news, we contacted the former landlord to know if it were true. the former landlord told us it was a lie that if we see anyone coming to claim the building, we should inform him. 2weeks later, the rumor turned out to be true. When we contacted the former landlord again, he admitted that the building have been sold but he will come with the buyer and introduce to the tenants.

Iimmediately we demanded that our receipt for payment be given to us cos he had not issued us receipt for payment and he refused. 2weeks passed and he did not come with the new buyer instead a 6months notice to quit the compound starting from November 2016 to April 2017 was pasted on the gate of the compound in October 29 by the lawyer of the new buyer.

After it was posted we responded by employ a lawyer. So the lawyer had to first meet the old landlord to issue us our receipt which he did 4days later. After which the lawyer file a case @ the magistrate court to restrain the new landlord from evicting us .

Note that in the compound, about 5 tenants are new tenants and their rent will run till the end of 2017 and early 2018. Also note that while the rumur was flying about the sale of the house, the former landlord collected rent from3 tenants.

While the case was on at the magistrate court the new land lord and the old landlord refuse to appear in court. fast forward to last month, Lagos state building agency came to our compound to paste a notice stating that the compound needs to be rehabilitated withing the next 21 days starting from march 22nd else they will take action.

Then on the 2nd of April, another notice from the same Agency giving us 7days to vacate the building for the new landlord's in ability to rehabilitate the building. After the seven days notice was pasted, our lawyer filed a case against the agency and also got an injunction against them from the magistrate court.

My fear now is if the agency or the new landlord will respect court order because the new landlord has been boasting that come rain come shine he must bring down the building and he has been threatening all the tenants with area boys cos they keep coming to the compound.

PLEASE HELP WITH MEANINGFUL ADVICE

I'm not sure what kind of injunction your lawyer got, but I'd advice that you get an interim injunction, owing to the fact that this is a matter of extreme urgency... If he still tries to evict you after that, he'll be guilty of contempt of court.

The interim injunction would last pending the court's determination of whether the landlord has the right to evict u. At least, that would buy u some time too.

I'm also not sure how active your lawyer is about this issue, but make sure he's someone that's concerned about your matter, and knows his job.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by vickylala239: 6:40am On Apr 07, 2017
bizgai:
you are right but he can see a mediator for advice

To me is a waste of money as the court WILL end it one way!!!!
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by peacekante: 6:44am On Apr 07, 2017
alexiej:

I'm not sure what kind of injunction your lawyer got, but I'd advice that you get an interim injunction, owing to the fact that this is a matter of extreme urgency... If he still tries to evict you after that, he'll be guilty of contempt of court.

The interim injunction would last pending the court's determination of whether the landlord has the right to evict u. At least, that would buy u some time too.

I'm also not sure how active your lawyer is about this issue, but make sure he's someone that's concerned about your matter, and knows his job.
The lawyer I think was able to gwt an that will last until they determine the case between the tenants and landlord.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by mechanics(m): 7:58am On Apr 07, 2017
That's serious o, I don't think they will overide the court judgement because that will be contempt, my advice is for you to get a land and start your building to avoid landlord ambarrassement, such thing like that can't happen in the north, cos there lot of houses for tenants to live in.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by basadenet: 8:22am On Apr 07, 2017
It is when you are alive that you can fight for your right. I will advise you quit that place immediately.

2 Likes

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by MamaletASO: 10:09am On Apr 07, 2017
.....tormented by the new landlord. let me furnish the you with the history of what has transpired since the former landlord sold to the new landlord. On august 2017, news were flying that our compound has been sold to a new buyer. on hearing the news, we contacted the former landlord to know if it were true.....

Your story is fake... You said on August 2017.. But this is just April 2017..

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by DJInfluence: 10:36am On Apr 07, 2017
As much as i agree that the Lawyer has done his best in protecting your interest, i still feels that won´t stop the new landlord from carrying out his threat. I see this issue escalating very fast with the use of area boys and touts to intimidate the tenants. Hence i believe you should also make a formal complaint to the Police (yes they are ineffective and sometimes for the highest bidder), tell them your lives and properties are being threaten despite the court injuction. In the long term, I don´t see anyway out for you guys because we know how Nigerians takes the law into their hands and nothing is done to them.

Lastly, i will suggest you start looking for not only a new flat, but also somewhere to keep your valuables because, you will not be ready when they come for a forceful eviction.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by basadenet: 11:06am On Apr 07, 2017
MamaletASO:
.....tormented by the new landlord. let me furnish the you with the history of what has transpired since the former landlord sold to the new landlord. On august 2017, news were flying that our compound has been sold to a new buyer. on hearing the news, we contacted the former landlord to know if it were true.....

Your story is fake... You said on August 2017.. But this is just April 2017..

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

You cannot say is fake because that is a typical typographic error.

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by peacekante: 11:12am On Apr 07, 2017
[quote author=basadenet post=55346199]

You cannot say is fake because that is a typical typographic error.[/quote
Thank u bro.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by modelsms10: 3:15pm On Apr 07, 2017
buygala:
You can sue that your old landlord for breach of contract and claim damages in millions...since you already have a lawyer, please contact him on how to proceed on that if you so wish.

But You can't proceed against the new landlord because there is no contract between both of you. ....he is just doing what is needful to possess his possession.

You already have a lawyer who from your narration, knows what he is doing smiley....if you still feel he isn't diligent enough, pay him his outstanding fees and get a new one ...

Cheers cool

And who told you there is no contract?
So if Zenith buys Access bank, Access bank customers cant sue zenith?

There is privity of estate and not contract
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by mfm04622: 8:25pm On Apr 07, 2017
pokipoki:
Well from my little experience The new landlord had to wait 8 months for my rent to expire. After then he gave us additional 6 months grace to search for alternative accomodation.

Not true! If you have 8 months of rent outstanding, he will give you 6 months notice in 2 months time. So the end of your notice will be same with end of your rent.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by pokipoki: 8:54pm On Apr 07, 2017
mfm04622:

Not true! If you have 8 months of rent outstanding, he will give you 6 months notice in 2 months time. So the end of your notice will be same with end of your rent.
Hahahaha. Dude, that's my experience and do not say things you don't know. I don't recall mentioning that you were part of the settlement or agreement.
Can you mind your business?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cost Of Renting Short Let Apartments In Abuja | Co-tenant / Floods Submerge 20 Houses, Render 1,000 Homeless In Akwa Ibom / Fire Outbreak At Mile 2 Estate (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.