Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,321 members, 7,780,798 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:32 PM

IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) (18110 Views)

A Short Christmas Story Of Hope (miracle Still Happen) / Remi Ireti Davies / Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 11:37am On May 24, 2017
****IRETI****

CONTINUATION...

We ordered pepper soup and while the men drank beer, Dara and I had malt drinks. The night was boring, I just didn’t see the fun in anything that was happening meanwhile, Dara was having the time of her life. When the night was over, a different car drove us back to the hostel. Dara had agreed on my behalf that we were up for another night of free pepper soup and drinks (that’s the way I saw the night) and I hadn’t argued because I had my plan. I went straight to Tayo’s room when I got to the hostel and narrated the happenings of the night to her and Seunfunmi. I noticed that Seunfunmi was listening to my tale with keen interest and I smiled to myself. I had my bath and changed then slept in their room (whenever I sleep in their room, we join both mattresses on the floor so we can lie vertically).
The next day was a Saturday and I had an eight AM practical class. I rushed to the computer lab on an empty stomach and barely listened through the class. The practical lecturer, a youth corp member, noticed me and asked me to wait after the class. He had asked if I was sick and all of that and I had just nodded all my replies, I wasn’t in the mood to be friendly with lecturers whose only goals were to sleep with a girl and move on to the next victim, when he was tired of questioning me, he concluded by saying he wanted me to look brighter in the next class. Surprisingly, Dunsin waited for me outside the lab and we walked back to the hostel together. The semester had just begun and i was really hoping that it would be as lit as I expected. When we got to the hostel, I met Peter waiting in my room with a small fancy bag, the hunger disappeared as soon as I saw him and I flew into his open arms, how I had missed that feeling. Dunsin exchanged pleasantries with Peter and excused herself. We both sat on my bed and then he presented the small gift he had brought, I hugged him when I saw the content, I like a guy who doesn’t forget what I like even if I’d mentioned it just once.
“Thanks a lot, it must have cost you so much.”
“Nope, just a small token of nine thousand.”
“Babe, nine thousand for me just like that, I hope there are no strings attached.” I asked with a smile.
“Not really, I just need a small favour from you.” He said casually.
“I knew it, okay, fire on.”
“It may sound awkward but I really want you to listen first before you react (he cleared his throat) the thing is, right from when I first met you, till know, your smile has always had an effect on me, I don’t even understand what happens anytime I see that smile, I really like you first because you are beautiful and really smart, unlike many girls I’ve met, you’re just different, I could go on and on but let me just skip all that and go straight to the point, Ola, I would really like you to be my girlfriend, I won’t promise to die for you and all those shit because I love life as much as you do but I will do anything in my power to make you happy if you’d say yes, don’t get me wrong though, even if you say no, I’ll still do everything to make you happy. So what’s it going to be?” I was smiling all through his speech because I just couldn’t help the grin from spreading.
“So how long did it take you to cram that speech?” I asked with a smile as I cupped his face with my hands.
“Ola, be serious now.”
“I am serious, do you know how long I’ve waited to hear you say this, not the whole epistle o, but the ‘will you be my girlfriend’ part, it took you so long.” I dropped my hands to his shoulders and he smiled.
“I had to be sure you felt the same way first.” He said and leaned forward to kiss me then changed his mind.
“This is too soon.” Wait was this guy crazy or what, I had waited so long for this and it was too soon for him. I smiled and kissed his temple instead.
“You are such a good boy, thanks again for the gift.”
“You’re welcome dear…” I hugged him again then he stood.
“… I have to be on my way now, I have a few things to do, see you later girlfriend.” He added and I saw him to the hostel gate then turned back to my room. Peter’s gift was the most expensive thing I’d ever received from a male friend and I was super excited and just wanted to show it off, I couldn’t tell Dunsin first because, lately, she’d become such a kill-joy and just wouldn’t get excited for anything and anyone, even Tomisin had complained. I took the package straight to Tayo’s room, I was so sure she would be in, she never really went out on Saturday mornings. I showed her the gift but obviously she didn’t know what it was so I asked her to google it and then she exclaimed. The perfume, LILY OF THE VALLEY BY YARDLEY FOR LONDON, cost at least twenty dollars in the US, it was my official perfume, I just loved the fragrance, packaging and everything about it, I also told them that we were now officially dating. When I let their room, I thought of texting Dara but I changed my mind, Dara was already doing some underground work so I could date one of her numerous ‘lecturer friends’ but I was so not ready for that so I texted Turner instead, she was happy that he finally asked me, officially that is, to be his partner and then she went on to the sex sermon and made me promise to always use a condom. Peter called me later in the evening ‘just to hang out’ and I was only too glad to say yes. The night was fun, we were at his friends’ place and it had been mind-blowing, funny enough, there was no booze, just a few packs of juice and soft drinks; sometimes I wonder where they get the money they spend on their endless get-togethers and I also wonder what they always celebrate.
The next day, being a Sunday, Dara called me and asked if I still wanted to deal with those ‘brats’, of course I wanted to, I wanted them to beg for mercy such that when next they saw me, they would run. The plan was simple, Dara Turner and I would stalk and waylay each of them, one after the other and if we were lucky to find them all, then so be it; then we would warn them, actually scare them, that was Turner’s job though and that was what we did. The girl now avoided me so much in the hostel and I liked it like that. Peter and I had become very close, we did almost everything together, I was so in love with the boy, I had never felt anything it before and I was so grateful to Peter for this feeling. Our results were out and my first class flag was still flying, Dunsin still needed to work harder, I think with the imaginary competition she’s in, she just won’t make a first class, she just had to let go of the hate and jealousy slowly eating her up; Tomisin had applied for another scholarship, I was certain she would get it because she deserved it so much, I also made a mental note to apply for a scholarship too next year.

TBC

1 Like

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by esthermotunray: 11:37am On May 24, 2017
Great work, this a full book, why not in a hardcover and then launch it at nairaland, you can get people to put you through on how to get it done, greatwork

1 Like

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by akinmusi(m): 3:48pm On May 24, 2017
Nice one more ink to your pen
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Dopeyomi(m): 6:50pm On May 24, 2017
Cool and nice..
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 4:07pm On May 25, 2017
****IRETI****

*********************************************************************************************************

I stood transfixed to a spot, somehow, I just felt my legs wouldn’t move if I tried; my right hand was on my left ear, something was terribly wrong, maybe it was a prank or a dream and someone would just shake me awake very soon. I looked down and saw my phone smashed at my feet then I realized I’d dropped it when Ayo had told me the bad news.I collapsed on something, someone maybe and I started crying. I don’t know how long I cried or when I fell asleep but I woke up to the incessant buzzing of mosquitoes. I sat up and just stared, trying to fathom the possibility of my mum being down with breast cancer, she had always been healthy, looked healthy, I didn’t see any signs; ‘she was just diagnosed’ I heard a tiny voice say, I sighed and got up from the bed to find my phone, Tomisin had placed a lamp on the table since there was no light, the rechargeable fan was also on. I found the phone next to the lamp on the table, picked it and pressed the power button on the right side, just below the volume control, and it came on; the time displayed on the home screen was three twenty-one AM. I sighed, Ayo would probably be asleep but I dialled his number anyway and he picked up on the first ring.
“Hello” he said, sounding tired, drained, maybe.
“Hello” I replied, trying, very hard, my best, to keep from crying, I just couldn’t bring myself to ask the question, my voice felt heavy when I tried to speak, the tears were inevitable, I just let them flow all over again.
“How are you?” Ayo asked after the brief silence.
“Tell me; is it true?”
“I’m afraid it is.” He said simply but with so much emotion.
“When-whe-when did you f-f-find out?” I asked, trying hard not to let my voice break then I sniffed.
“Ireti! Stop crying, you’re not a child.” He said firmly, I winced at the mention of Ireti but I had no strength to complain or argue, I just needed an answer to my question.
“Please answer my question.”
“She was diagnosed just yesterday in Ghana.”
“How did you find out?”
“I’m with her, we came to finalise a business deal when she fell ill and you know the rest.”
“Oh” was all my voice permitted me say.
“Yes”
“And dad?”
“He should be here later today.”
“How is she?”
“Tired, she’s been admitted for a few days now.”
“Okay”
“What happened the other time I called, the line went dead and your phone was off when I redialled” he said after a brief pause.
“Yes, the phone slipped through my fingers.”
“Stop acting like a child, you’re eighteen already.” I was in no mood for a sermon so I thought quickly and decided to change the topic.
“Does Olamide know?”
“I can’t tell him yet, maybe when I get to Lagos sha.”
“Is she being treated there?”
“Here in Ghana? Well, yes, for now, I want her transferred soon.”
“Okay”
“Honey, I have work to do, mom will be fine, stop crying and we’ll talk later.”
“I’m sorry for disturbing, later then.”
“No problem, be strong, I love you.” I nodded and swallowed a sob.
“Bye” I said and hung up, I sniffed and wiped the tears with the back of my palms and that was when I noticed that the screen of my phone had cracked in about four places, I hissed and replaced it on the table. Ayo was right, I needed to be strong; I needed something to keep me busy, my books had always been my companion but in this case, reading would only be a license to thinking; I picked the phone again after deciding to surf the internet just to check social media, watch a few funny videos and all but I realised that it was a totally wrong decision after about five minutes of seeing sad post everywhere, ‘Just what I needed’ I said and sighed, it seemed everyone had planned to upload bad news at the same time, I dropped the phone and tried to sleep with so much effort, finally, I did drift asleep, I felt like I was floating on a wave, the feeling was soothing, the water carried me gently and landed me in total darkness, I slept, that was the relief I needed.
I woke up feeling tired, I’d thought I’d have a nightmare about my mum or probably see Mr Cute but on the contrary, I didn’t dream at all. My eyes were open but I still felt sleepy, I was actually half awake.
“How are you?” I heard Tomisin ask, I didn’t want her to question me too much, I had to put up and act so I sat up and stared at her beautiful morning face, the girl was just so pretty, she didn’t need any form of makeup to enhance her beauty, not that she used so much. I tried to smile but my lips just wouldn’t form one, I wasn’t ready to share my sorrow with anybody because I’d hate it when people came around to show me sympathy, most likely pity; not smiling was making things worse because of my roommates were looking at me anxiously, expecting me to say something.
“I’m okay” I said in a rush, and stood, determined to go about my day normally.
“What happened yesterday? Abi you don’t want to tell us?” Tomisin asked and finally, my lips were no longer rebellious and they formed a smile.
“Nothing really, I just overreacted ‘cause my mom is sick but she’s being treated and she’ll be fine, it’s not a big deal.”
“Yeh! What type of sickness is it, I hope it’s not worse than typhoid?” Dunsin lamented and I smiled again, if only she knew, what was a mere typhoid compared to the almighty cancer, I sighed inwardly as I felt tears well up in my eyes.
“Eh, it is well o, God is in control, shey you sha know that your phone has cracked?” Tomisin added and I nodded.
“Don’t mind me jare.” I said and they both continued what they were doing, thank God it was my faculty week, jersey day to be precise and I already had my outfit planned. God! I scoffed as I remembered Tomisin’s statement, if he truly was in control, why would he watch and allow cancer to grow in my mom’s body, after all, people say He’s not blind, neither is He deaf, if all those were true, then there was just one more quality that had not been added; He was just a wicked being. I looked around me and saw girls going about their business for the day and I sighed, I didn’t want this thing to weigh me down but I just wasn’t feeling up to anything. It was at this point that I realized that I missed Richard greatly, Peter was my boyfriend but it would be awkward for me to give him so much personal information. I went back inside and met Dunsin fully dressed in a Nigeria jersey tucked into a black trouser, she was in the process of wearing her green sneakers and she had already packed her white handbag.

TBC

1 Like

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Toyin223(f): 5:05pm On May 25, 2017
Tanks For d Update

1 Like

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by spixytinxy(f): 5:47pm On May 25, 2017
Wow am really enjoying ur story, May God continue to giv u d wisdom nd strength u nid to carry on. Kudos girl

1 Like

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 25, 2017
ayoomodaddy ...... na short story you call am ohh..

1 Like

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Dopeyomi(m): 8:15pm On May 27, 2017
Vicoch:

e don pass short story ooO... e don become Super story..

buh its sweet and nice sha..

1 Like

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 8:26am On May 30, 2017
Vicoch:
LOL

Don't worry, the final part is being summarised, hopefully i drop it today and that will be all till the book is officially launched on paperback. grin
Thanks for following though. kiss
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 2:37pm On May 30, 2017
IRETI

STORY FINALE

Everything thing still seemed surreal, mom’s cancer, dad’s death, my dreams but then I give God all the glory. Yes, I said God, I really had a misconception about Him but I am glad that I got to know him at this stage of my life, he had always been there for me, I really don’t know how to pray but every time I close my eyes, the words just come and then I have peace. Dad’s death had been painful, he was the better parent, just so sad that he had to die so early in life, all my life, I had always dreamt of him walking me down the aisle and handing me to my future husband, now all I can think about is getting married without my father. Cancer is just a thing, I don’t know too much of the Bible but I know Jesus died for my sins and by his stripes my mom is healed, chemotherapy had been really expensive and it was really telling on the family savings but I am optimistic that very soon, all will be well. Ayo had tried his best to keep mom’s health away from me and Olamide on the basis that we had to concentrate on our education but whenever something was wrong, I knew mom needed surgery and she needed to be transferred to India where the affected breast would be cut but Ayo was stalling because he hoped that chemo alone would be enough. Ayo had become a shadow of himself; working all day and then staying awake by mom’s bed all night; he was emaciated and I had cried the last time I saw him, my brother never joked with his physical appearance because he’d always said that was his selling point because intending business partners found him irresistible and always said yes to his proposals; Temi had been wonderful, she’d stayed, supported, prayed and helped in any way she could. I haven’t seen mom for a long while now but I know there is hope but I’d felt a shudder of peace the last time I had spoken to my mom and she had called my full name in her weak voice, Iretiola which means ‘hope of wealth’ but in mom’s case, I preferred Iretiola to mean ‘ hope of tomorrow’ because all I wanted was my mom to have tomorrow, losing both parents would be something I just can’t handle now; Ayo had banned us from going home since mom was transferred to Nigeria so we had spent our holiday at aunt Yetunde’s, I had not met Christ then so I was withdrawn and didn’t talk much, when the pressure was much and I needed to let go, aunt Yetunde had advised me to cry it out but I’d taken to alcohol, I drank so much that my roommates had called Mayokun from time to time to talk to me but I would have none of it, I needed better ways to ease the tension that grew inside me. All that had stopped when I’d met Jesus, it was the best feeling ever and I still had not gotten over it.
I roused myself from the bed and stood on the corridor, I’d cut my friendship with the girls over time and I felt alive again, being with them had been fun but they were a very bad influence on me, I am grateful that, even though Turner smoked, I never smoked more than a cigarette (I tried the cigarette once and I landed in the hospital, not because I wouldn’t have done better had I tried but because of the asthma.) and I’m also grateful that I saw Peter for who he truly was before our relationship had gone too deep. Peter was a cultist, a gentle one though, the guy could get anyone killed at the snap of his fingers, I am really lucky he didn’t harm me when I foolishly confronted him with the fact when I’d found out, the relationship had ended on the spot, he ordered me out of his room calmly and asking me to calm down, he had neither confirmed nor denied but I knew the truth and I ran for dear life. Cash on the other hand was a ‘yahoo boy’, I wonder how I came under their influence. I took a deep breath, the air smelt different, my head was clear now, no more nightmares; it still felt weird attending church services thrice a week but with Chioma and my roommates, it was an awesome experience plus RCF is just the place to be, the fellowship of the happiest people on campus, with each service, I understood the saying ‘there is joy in the presence of the LORD’. I looked down the corridor and saw Seyifunmi, the girl had adopted me as her school mother, she just wanted to do everything I did, when I was partying my senses away, she was following my footsteps and now that I’m a church goer, she was tagging along.
“Ola, how far na.”
“Babe, I’m good”
“I know na, I need to borrow that your pink sneakers, I must shine in class today.”
“Madam, you can borrow for Africa, what is happening today o?” I asked with a smile.
“Nothing o, it’s a new semester na, I have to package, almost all the girls are wearing ‘ja tuntun’ (new clothes), I cannot carry last o.” I laughed.
“Sorry ma, I forgot that you’re a Yoruba warri girl, you kuku know where the shoe is, go and carry it, I just hope nobody will accuse me of wearing your shoe one day because you wear it more than me.” She smiled.
“That’s the idea.” She said and winked; I tried to punch her lightly on her arm but she ducked and entered the room. She came out later with the shoe and left after thanking me. LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL- I thought to myself, with all the happenings in my life and family, the only consolation I have is Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever, and I do not doubt it. I know everything will be fine, it’s just a matter of time; whenever I wake up, I’m happy to be alive and I also have a renewed and strengthened IRETIOLA (a hope for tomorrow).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*drops pen*
It has been a wonderful journey with you guys so far, I really am grateful for your encouraging words, advice, love et al.
I hope you enjoyed this story, please watch out for my new thread very soon.
I will definitely let you all know when Ireti is published.
Thanks once again...
God bless you all, Ayomide loves you all kiss

2 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Toyin223(f): 3:31pm On May 30, 2017
Thank U,god Bless U

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by yommy20(f): 4:39pm On May 30, 2017
Nice one dear,more wisdom, knowledge and understanding from above and more ink to ur pen. Thanks for d great work

1 Like

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Eniqurl(f): 7:55pm On May 30, 2017
Wow! So nice smiley
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Dopeyomi(m): 11:15pm On Jun 01, 2017
#Modified..

The story is really nice tho.. The end part is cool.. Jesus the same yesterday today and forever..
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 7:46am On Jun 02, 2017
Dopeyomi:
Abandoned project again!

#Millitary Zone Keep Off
Dear sir, I believe the last update is titled 'STORY FINALE' which signals the end of the story.
Thank you. kiss
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Dopeyomi(m): 9:16pm On Jun 02, 2017
Ayoomodaddy:

Dear sir, I believe the last update is titled 'STORY FINALE' which signals the end of the story.
Thank you. kiss

Oh sorry I didn't read d last update tho..
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by JaeSharp(m): 2:21am On Jun 24, 2017
hello... nice story u've gat here... really nice story... I don't just know the word I should use to qualify it....

more ink to your Pen...

D story is a big lesson to students of higher institutions...

but y did u just conclude it like that...u just summarized it... if it's because of people's response... u should know that the story would hit FP some days...

hoping the published copy would be complete and not just summary... following your next story

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Poem To AGAGU And The 16 - R.I.P / EREBUS -The Evil At Heart (Spy Thriller) / Google Celebrates Nigerian Author - Flora Nwapa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.