Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,842 members, 7,802,693 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! (8456 Views)

I Do Not Trust The Cooling System Of My New Lexus ES350. / Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car / You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by erico2k2(m): 1:55pm On Sep 17, 2017
holocron:

Don't you think the 2 bolded sentences contradict each other? Your 2nd assertion rhymes with what we are saying. The engine takes a shorter time (than in colder climes) to attain operating temperature (88°C). Without thermostat, the water constantly coming in from the radiator is about 50°C - 60°C, gets to the engine and rapidly rises to 88 degrees before moving on to the radiator.
Not at all, you need to know the relationship btw the cooling fan and the thermostat to understand what I said, i.e. water can be over cooled by your fan or breeze

1 Like

Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by timifakay(m): 8:26pm On Sep 17, 2017
holocron:

Don't you think the 2 bolded sentences contradict each other? Your 2nd assertion rhymes with what we are saying. The engine takes a shorter time (than in colder climes) to attain operating temperature (88°C for the toyota sequoia V8). Without thermostat, the water constantly coming in from the radiator is about 50°C - 60°C, gets to the engine and rapidly rises to 88 degrees before moving on to the radiator.

On the average, cars operate within the 88°c to 97°c temperature range. This means that at start up when cold, the thermostat is shut till vehicle reaches 88°c. This ensures the coolant temperature rises rapidly.
Then the fan only works when the upper temperature range of 97°c is attained and it goes off when temperature drops to lower operating limit of 88°c.
But when the thermostat is out and fan works at all times, the temperature takes longer to rise to minimum limit and never attains maximum limit.
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by vpnvouchers: 10:37pm On Sep 17, 2017
timifakay:

On the average, cars operate within the 88°c to 97°c temperature range. This means that at start up when cold, the thermostat is shut till vehicle reaches 88°c. This ensures the coolant temperature rises rapidly.
Then the fan only works when the upper temperature range of 97°c is attained and it goes off when temperature drops to lower operating limit of 88°c.
But when the thermostat is out and fan works at all times, the temperature takes longer to rise to minimum limit and never attains maximum limit.
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by Deprofessional(m): 5:36pm On Sep 18, 2017
FOLLOWING.
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by Kufie(m): 10:14am On Oct 19, 2017
Good morning sir. Please is there a disadvantage using the AC compressor of a CRV on a 2008 Honda Civic? If yes, kindly avail me with the cost of a new compressor for the 2008 Civic (New & tokunbo) and the fan belt adjuster. Thanks
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by honmusa(m): 6:41am On Jun 29, 2019
We will like to continue the discussion on this thread by showcasing case study of live issues .
( Strictly cooling system and overheating issues)
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by erico2k2(m): 4:36pm On Jun 29, 2019
honmusa:
We will like to continue the discussion on this thread by showcasing case study of live issues .
( Strictly cooling system and overheating issues)
Yeh cool, I still think the major problem we have with our cooling system is the faulty Sensor that turns on the fan. Most oversabi mechanics opt to wire the fan direct, this is when your car starts exhibiting AIDS-like symptoms grin grin grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by inikamoze(m): 12:48am On Jul 01, 2019
What can be done to block a leakage in the AC unit. Was told there is a leakage blocking material that can b used to stop the ;leakage.
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by honmusa(m): 6:23am On Jul 01, 2019
inikamoze:
What can be done to block a leakage in the AC unit. Was told there is a leakage blocking material that can b used to stop the ;leakage.
Note that This is a thread for cooling system not HVAC -coollng system refers to that system of an engine that remove wasted heat and maintain the engine temperature eg radiator ,coolant hoses and pipe etc .
To answer your question about HVAC, :There are many methods and techniques that can be used to detect leakage in AC system depending on location of the leaks
1.Soap and water
2.Dye
3.Electronic sniffers
4.Vacuuming
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by honmusa(m): 9:04am On Jul 02, 2019
inikamoze:
This is a thread stictly for cooling system and not HVAC system (ac) .
Cooling system are the system in your vehicle that remove excess heat from the engine and transmission and maintain optimum temperature for the engine and transmission and components include : Radiator ,hoses,fan,coolant ,etc.
However I will still answer your HVAC question.
Before you can talk about blocking leak in ac system you need to identify the point of leakage and some of the method that can be used depending on the area of leakage includes;
1. Soap and water
2.Dye
3.electronic sniffers
4.Vacuuming with stopper valve .
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by VolvoS60(m): 6:53pm On Jul 06, 2019
Good thread.
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by honmusa(m): 8:05pm On Jul 06, 2019
Thanks ,sorry couldnt continue with the thread o ,the anti spam bot kept banning my moniker anytime my words exceed certain length ,pls help me beg the admin o ,I never no wetin I do am o
CC: marpol
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by moluwaseun: 11:12pm On Jul 11, 2019
I really appreciate the good works you are doing, I noticed coolant loss in the radiator on my Toyota Highlander 2004, took it to the mechanic and he replaced radiator cap, still had same issues and car got overheated, took it back and noticed a leak on the plastic part on the top of the radiator, he replaced the plastic part and still same issue of coolant loss after driving, while washing the car this morning, I noticed lots of coolant on the rear floor behind the front passenger seat, the coolant gets so much and also little around the front passenger just along the door side, but that if the rear floor seems so plenty after driving what could be the cause and solution I would appreciate thanks
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by honmusa(m): 6:35am On Jul 12, 2019
moluwaseun:
I really appreciate the good works you are doing, I noticed coolant loss in the radiator on my Toyota Highlander 2004, took it to the mechanic and he replaced radiator cap, still had same issues and car got overheated, took it back and noticed a leak on the plastic part on the top of the radiator, he replaced the plastic part and still same issue of coolant loss after driving, while washing the car this morning, I noticed lots of coolant on the rear floor behind the front passenger seat, the coolant gets so much and also little around the front passenger just along the door side, but that if the rear floor seems so plenty after driving what could be the cause and solution I would appreciate thanks
Go for cooling system pressure test ,this test will pinpoint the source of leakage within few minutes .
If you are in Lagos , you can call autologic (08061166316 ) for the test .
This is the pic showing the test being done on a Mazda car.

Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by autologic: 7:40am On Jul 12, 2019
inikamoze:
Cooling system refer to in this thread is not your AC system but the system that ensure maintain and removal of excess heat from your engine and transmission.
Referring to your question on HVAC .
Your need to go for troubleshooting of the AC leak before you can talk about fixing .
Some methods for troubleshooting leaks include
1. Soap and water
2. Dye
3.electronic sniffer
4.vacumming .
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by komekn(m): 7:52am On Jul 12, 2019
honmusa:

Stuck close thermostat, faulty water pump ,bad Radiator cap,clogged Radiator and also watch for extremely lean condition of air fuel mixture.

I would add to that incorrect coolant mixture or none at all as the case may be.

There is the possibility of a defective temperature sensor as well.

In addition AIR LOCK air in the cooling system which will require you bleed the system.

Coolant leaks will require a compression test but a DIY way is to add to the radiator some UV Dye fluid you will need the goggles.

See video clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuGeQnMOzk
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by moluwaseun: 6:32pm On Jul 12, 2019
How
honmusa:

Go for cooling system pressure test ,this test will pinpoint the source of leakage within few minutes .
If you are in Lagos , you can call autologic (08061166316 ) for the test .
This is the pic showing the test being done on a Mazda car.

How much does the pressure test cost? Thanks
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by honmusa(m): 6:27am On Jul 30, 2021
Let keep the discussion going .....
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by okoroemeka(m): 7:21am On Jul 30, 2021
Hellustic:

Not at all... I checked and there is no leak.. My mechanic had to change the radiator with another mazda mpv to confirm and it was still overheating
check inside the car under the floor mats if you will see water,most times the heater core leaks water inside the car,it happened to me constant water shortage and overheat,until I checked the car mats,I have been driving with more than 30 ltrs of water inside the car,the mechanic has to block the pipes taking hot water inside the car, problem solved

1 Like

Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by okoroemeka(m): 7:35am On Jul 30, 2021
holocron:

I know and accept all you have said. I am more interested at the bolded. Yes, Nigeria lies very close to the equator b/w latitudes 4° and 13°in the tropics and as such the sun is almost always overhead all year round. These other areas you mentioned are all above latitude 30°, part pf the temperate regions of the world. Note: The sun can never be directly above your head anywhere above 30° latitude. Those places you mentioned, there midday sun even in summer is like our 10am sun. Nigeria is far hotter than those areas. Thats why our skin evolved to black and they remained fair.
all I know is that it's far more safer and cheaper to remove the thermostat and drive on a slightly colder engine,than leave it and risk catastrophic overheat when it malfunctions,and remember most of these modern aluminum block engines overheat is mostly the cause of their death,any car that I use I remove the thermostat,it will only affect a micro amount of fuel consumption when still cold but after some minutes of driving the car will warmup,I have experienced overheat caused by a faulty thermostat that destroyed the top cylinder and valves,I am no longer interested in that factory spec
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by Elsueno: 4:33pm On Jul 30, 2021
undecided

Unless u tempered with the wiring, When a car cooling system fails it automatically activates the highest speed of cooling fan when it reaches d danger zone!

When my Peugeot fan resistor failed, the engine temperature shot up..But a very noisy fan speed kicked in at high temperature & cool the engine to 95 degree. though I stopped immediately & car refused to start till temperature dropped to below 80
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by autologic: 9:19pm On Jul 30, 2021
Elsueno:
undecided

Unless u tempered with the wiring, When a car cooling system fails it automatically activates the highest speed of cooling fan when it reaches d danger zone!

When my Peugeot fan resistor failed, the engine temperature shot up..But a very noisy fan speed kicked in at high temperature & cool the engine to 95 degree. though I stopped immediately & car refused to start till temperature dropped to below 80
Assume your cooling system wiring has abused by rewire ,you won't have that protective feature automatically demostrated by your vehicle ,which is why it is good you leave system to run at default spec as designed by the manufacturer.
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by autologic: 3:18pm On Aug 01, 2021
okoroemeka:
all I know is that it's far more safer and cheaper to remove the thermostat and drive on a slightly colder engine,than leave it and risk catastrophic overheat when it malfunctions,and remember most of these modern aluminum block engines overheat is mostly the cause of their death,any car that I use I remove the thermostat,it will only affect a micro amount of fuel consumption when still cold but after some minutes of driving the car will warmup,I have experienced overheat caused by a faulty thermostat that destroyed the top cylinder and valves,I am no longer interested in that factory spec
Some arguments are not worth going into cos this has trashed countless times on this forum. And what fail to realize is that removing that same thermostat can also cost you your engine not only about fuel alone
It your car ,you can thow anything at it na since you know more than the manufacturer ,at least mechanic and parts sellers must chop na cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by okoroemeka(m): 8:51pm On Aug 02, 2021
autologic:

Some arguments are not worth going into cos this has trashed countless times on this forum. And what fail to realize is that removing that same thermostat can also cost you your engine not only about fuel alone
It your car ,you can thow anything at it na since you know more than the manufacturer ,at least mechanic and parts sellers must chop na cheesy
all my previous cars were used without thermostat and they worked perfectly fine, without all noticable increase in fuel consumption, wear or tear,the thermostat is mainly meant for colder places with below freezing point temperature to allow engines to heat up faster,I doubt if fully tropicalized cars will have thermostats or heated interiors.most of cars we are using are used cars made in us,Canada or Europe,these countries have extreme cold weather and put in place features to help like day running lights,winter tyres,anti freeze, thermostats, heated interior,heated seats,these things are not needed in the tropics,who in his sane mind will switch on his seat heater in Nigeria?is will simply roast your buttocks.
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by Elsueno: 10:03am On Aug 03, 2021
okoroemeka:
all my previous cars were used without thermostat and they worked perfectly fine, without all noticable increase in fuel consumption, wear or tear,the thermostat is mainly meant for colder places with below freezing point temperature to allow engines to heat up faster,I doubt if fully tropicalized cars will have thermostats or heated interiors.most of cars we are using are used cars made in us,Canada or Europe,these countries have extreme cold weather and put in place features to help like day running lights,winter tyres,anti freeze, thermostats, heated interior,heated seats,these things are not needed in the tropics,who in his sane mind will switch on his seat heater in Nigeria?is will simply roast your buttocks.

Brother, He is right woh, older vehicles might not be affected by thermostat & direct fan connection much...But it's seriously detrimental to modern cars. The kind of codes a modern car throws due to direct fan connection might reach up to 5 sef. And to me honestly, fuel consumption is very noticeable, as I reset counter after a full tank. And to be honest, engine sound, smooth driving etc. The car feels totally different when it's operating at correct temperature. Hate to burst ur burble even cars in Dubai have thermostat

2 Likes

Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by okoroemeka(m): 5:30pm On Aug 03, 2021
Elsueno:

Brother, He is right woh, older vehicles might not be affected by thermostat & direct fan connection much...But it's seriously detrimental to modern cars. The kind of codes a modern car throws due to direct fan connection might reach up to 5 sef. And to me honestly, fuel consumption is very noticeable, as I reset counter after a full tank. And to be honest, engine sound, smooth driving etc. The car feels totally different when it's operating at correct temperature. Hate to burst ur burble even cars in Dubai have thermostat
well there are modern cars you can't even tamper with the fan wiring or remove the thermostat,maybe applicable to older cars,I don't think newer cars can receive such abuse considering the type of electrical gizmos installed in modern cars,if you remove the thermostat the type of bells, whistles and coded thrown up will be alarming
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by lololo23(f): 7:15pm On Aug 03, 2021
Hi! I can also discuss this topic with you, since a few days ago I was actively looking for a master who will help me with a water heater in my house. As a result, I found a company that deals not only with water heaters but also helped me fix the air conditioner. I am very glad that I can recommend this contact to you, as you will be able to solve all your problems. This is very cool. There are real professionals working there, and I was convinced of their professionalism.
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by BadyBoy: 2:47pm On Aug 11, 2021
It's very challenging to find a good master. I searched online and couldn't found anyone in the end. All good masters were busy for a month in advance, and no one could help fix the problem in emergency mode. Fortunately, I came across an advertisement for an aircon service provider on one of the forums. I was already in despair, and I decided to turn to them. So, these guys arrived very quickly and fixed our air conditioner for affordable money in an hour. The most important thing is that the house is cool and fresh air again. In this heat, I simply could not be indoors without air conditioning.
Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by honmusa(m): 8:56am On Nov 29, 2021
Let ressurect this thread with a case study so that people can learn

1 Like

Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by autologic: 9:01am On Nov 29, 2021
A 2008 mini cooper n55 with customer complaints of engine making pinging noise and annoying overheating alarm showing on his dashboard whenever is his in traffic .

1 Like

Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by autologic: 9:28am On Nov 29, 2021
Taking this complaints tru our diagnostics process and strategy .
We need to confirm and replicate the customer complaints for proper understanding of what we are dealing with .
we abide with this principle:
You cant understand nor troubleshoot what you cannot replicate . So this will necessitate seeing the issue as reported by the customer
But before we dive into replicatiing the problem we need to plan the strategy of the diagnosis first and that we involve getting some initial data.

1 Like

Re: Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! by autologic: 9:37am On Nov 29, 2021
Also we need to establish if there is truly an overheating cos this is just an ordinary alarm on the dash which can be a false report due to a faulty dash ,as we don't twant to waste resource going down a wild goose chase and even if indeed there is an overheating, is it the one that is causing the engine pinging or vice versa? So many questions that need answer ,
Every data gotten must be subjected to test and confirmed for accuracy .
Let get to work

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Toyota Sells 1.52 Million Electrified Vehicles In 2017, Ahead Of 2020 Target / Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics / Top 10 Most Expensive Limousines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.