Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

Hell, Silly Silly Thing. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hell, Silly Silly Thing. (1920 Views)

Oyedepo: Coronavirus Is Mere Noise From Hell, It's Just Like Fever / 5 Silly Reasons Why Some People Don't Go To Church These Days / That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by NPComplete: 7:49pm On Apr 08, 2017
Matthew 24:14
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

If the above bible passage is to be believed, the rapture will not take place until every living human have heard it. At least that's what many Christians believe and some even base the urgency of evangelism on this passage. They think spreading the gospel will hasten the coming of Jesus.

Assumption 1: Of all the Christians in the world right now or at any time in history, less than 10% of them are really holy enough to meet the criteria for making heaven which means that if hell is real, over 95% of people on earth now will burn in hell. Really burn.

Assumption 2: The world is only going to get worse. According to the bible we should see more evil in the world and even less real Christians in it since we are in the last days. By this, there will be less real Christians by the day and even many Nairaland Christians will increasingly join the number of people going to hell. cheesy

Now here is my argument:
Supposing the gospel has reached all parts of the world save for one community of 100 people in a remote village in a country ruled by a dictator like Kim Jong-Un who isolates his subjects from the world. And it will take another 500 years to penetrate into that place. Will God be waiting for 500 years to allow Jesus come back while many people, billions of them, in all other parts of the world die and go to hell, just because God wants to reach 100 people.
Keep in mind that the 100 people may not hear the gospel till they die and go to hell too but they will give birth to children who will also make God wait even more years for the gospel to reach them and the wait continues. But all the while, people are being born in other parts of the world with less and less of them bound for heaven because, by no fault of theirs, they were born in an ever increasing world that is descending into evil the more and made it less likely for them to do good.
So God just keeps creating billions of people he knows are hell-bound? That's at least 30 billion souls getting roasted because God was waiting for 100 souls whose majority will still not follow the laws of Christianity after they hear it.

Tell me u don't think this idea is silly.
Wouldn't God see the big defect in that idea since he truly loves us and doesn't want us to burn in hell?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by Lemeechi: 8:13pm On Aug 13, 2017
You won't get much response to this, because for one to be a true "believer" he/she is supposed to swallow everything in the Bible hook, line and sinker without any thinking.

7 Likes

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 13, 2017
I believed in the HELL bullsh1t for so many years, thank God I now know it is a MYTH. It takes one to be brainwashed to believe in that crap !

4 Likes

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by hopefulLandlord: 4:12pm On Feb 02, 2018
Lemeechi:
You won't get much response to this, because for one to be a true "believer" he/she is supposed to swallow everything in the Bible hook, line and sinker without any thinking.

so true......
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Feb 02, 2018
more than silly, terrible silly smiley
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by rekinomtla(m): 4:41pm On Feb 02, 2018
Too much assumptions
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by Emmanystone: 4:51pm On Feb 02, 2018
NPComplete:
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

If the above bible passage is to be believed, the rapture will not take place until every living human have heard it. At least that's what many Christians believe and some even base the urgency of evangelism on this passage. They think spreading the gospel will hasten the coming of Jesus.

Assumption 1: Of all the Christians in the world right now or at any time in history, less than 10% of them are really holy enough to meet the criteria for making heaven which means that if hell is real, over 95% of people on earth now will burn in hell. Really burn.

Assumption 2: The world is only going to get worse. According to the bible we should see more evil in the world and even less real Christians in it since we are in the last days. By this, there will be less real Christians by the day and even many Nairaland Christians will increasingly join the number of people going to hell. cheesy

Now here is my argument:
Supposing the gospel has reached all parts of the world save for one community of 100 people in a remote village in a country ruled by a dictator like Kim Jong-Un who isolates his subjects from the world. And it will take another 500 years to penetrate into that place. Will God be waiting for 500 years to allow Jesus come back while many people, billions of them, in all other parts of the world die and go to hell, just because God wants to reach 100 people.
Keep in mind that the 100 people may not hear the gospel till they die and go to hell too but they will give birth to children who will also make God wait even more years for the gospel to reach them and the wait continues. But all the while, people are being born in other parts of the world with less and less of them bound for heaven because, by no fault of theirs, they were born in an ever increasing world that is descending into evil the more and made it less likely for them to do good.
So God just keeps creating billions of people he knows are hell-bound? That's at least 30 billion souls getting roasted because God was waiting for 100 souls whose majority will still not follow the laws of Christianity after they hear it.

Wouldn't God see the big defect in that idea since he truly loves us and doesn't want us to burn in hell?
If this is silly, why does it bother you enough to open a thread?

Butterdly1ion here they are again o.

2 Likes

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by peacesamuel94(m): 5:01pm On Feb 02, 2018
[quote author=NPComplete post=55389744][b]

Now here is my argument:

ACTS 17 :30

And the time of ignorance God overlooked, but now commandeth all men to repent.

Exodus 33:19

I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

Romans 9: 15

I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy and I will have compassion, on whom I will have compassion.

2 Likes

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by NPComplete: 6:03pm On Feb 02, 2018
rekinomtla:
Too much assumptions

Please state why u think the assumptions do not apply.
Or am I wrong by claiming that Christians believe the gospel have to reach every corner of the earth and everyone must hear it before the rapture can take place? You do realise there are Christians who live BU this creed and evangelize so as to bring it to fruition
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by NPComplete: 6:04pm On Feb 02, 2018
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by NPComplete: 6:05pm On Feb 02, 2018
peacesamuel94:

ACTS 17 :30

And the time of ignorance God overlooked, but now commandeth all men to repent.

Exodus 33:19

I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

Romans 9: 15

I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy and I will have compassion, on whom I will have compassion.

You haven't said anything
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by DeSepiero(m): 6:10pm On Feb 02, 2018
NPComplete:

That book always helps do the thinking and consequently the saying

1 Like

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by peacesamuel94(m): 6:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
NPComplete:

In the post I quoted, you made a statement about a certain " 100 people" that the gospel couldn't get to, because of a tyrannic leader.
And concluded without bases, that they were going straight to hell, which made me point you to a verse that talks about God Overlooking our days of ignorance.

Secondly, these assumptions you made at best, remain your assumptions, they can't serve as yardstick for determining or knowing what judgement will be like, God's mercy is infinite and he chooses to show it to whomever he wills.

1 Like

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by NPComplete: 6:31pm On Feb 02, 2018
peacesamuel94:

In the post I quoted you made a statement about a certain " 100 people" that the gospel couldn't get to because of a tyrannic leader
And concluded without bases, that they were going straight to hell, which made me point you to a verse that talks about God Overlooking our days of ignorance.

You are making my point for me. So if God could overlook the days of ignorance and those guys won't go to hell, why does He want the gospel to reach every part of the world then? Why doesn't He just end the world as early as 1 AD since he could have easily saved the majority of the world then?

What has he been waiting for all this while? Meanwhile billions of people are getting less ignorant by your definition and therefore unforgivable in the process. Thus they are condemned to hell.
Catch my drift?

3 Likes

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by peacesamuel94(m): 6:42pm On Feb 02, 2018
NPComplete:

You are making my point for me. So if God could overlook the days of ignorance and those guys won't go to hell, why does he want the gospel to reach every part of the world then? Meanwhile many people are getting less ignorant and therefore unforgivable in the process.
Catch my drift?

Lets assume the principal of a school, told his students to come to school with their school fees receipt on a particular day, and threatens to punish those that defy his orders,
However on the D day, a group of students explained to him that they we're not aware of his order, and so were consequently forgiven.

Does this mean that the principal should avoid making other students know of his order, so that they too can enjoy the benefit of "not knowing or rather being ignorant?
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by hopefulLandlord: 6:53pm On Feb 02, 2018
NPComplete:

You are making my point for me. So if God could overlook the days of ignorance and those guys won't go to hell, why does He want the gospel to reach every part of the world then? Why doesn't He just end the world as early as 1 AD since he could have easily saved the majority of the world then.
What has he been waiting for all this while. Meanwhile billions of people are getting less ignorant by your definition and therefore unforgivable in the process. Thus they are condemned to hell.
Catch my drift?

Reminds me of the popular meme of a hypothetical conversation that ensued after a missionary just preached to an Eskimo

Eskimo: If I didn't know about Jesus or sin, would I go to hell?

Missionary: No! not if you didn't know

Eskimo: Why did you tell me then?

Missionary:

Edit: I found the meme!

6 Likes

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by butterflyl1on: 6:56pm On Feb 02, 2018
Emmanystone:

If this is silly, why does it bother you enough to open a thread?

Butterdly1ion here they are again o.

Reading and thereafter will take a shower before writing a response. Some threads do not need one to be in such an unnecessary hurry to respond to.
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by NPComplete: 7:07pm On Feb 02, 2018
peacesamuel94:

Lets assume the principal of a school, told his students to come to school with their school fees receipt on a particular day, and threatens to punish those that defy his orders,
However on the D day, a group of students explained to him that they we're not aware of his order, and so were consequently forgiven.

So does this mean that the principal should avoid making other students know of his order, so that they too can enjoy the benefit of "not knowing or rather ignorance?

Unfortunately, your analogy is, at best, deliberately evasive and, at worst, dishonest. Let me help u:

Let's assume the principal of the school is an omnipotent and supposedly benevolent man and he knows that if he tells them to bring their receipts, 95% of them will be unable to. He has the history and statistics to back it up; most students will fail to bring it.
So telling them to bring the receipt at the threat of punishment to defaulters will be equal to entrapment and mean he actually enjoys punishing people. But the students who do not hear about his order are safe from his wrath. That's their only succour.

Then the principal goes out of his way to tell students to tell their fellow students (students that had higher chances of not being punished because they didn't hear) about his order and then punishing those ones amongst them who were told by other students but fails to turn up with a receipt. This reveals a special kind of sadism.

That's the sadistic god those who believe in hell are touting.
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by festwiz(m): 7:38pm On Feb 02, 2018
peacesamuel94:

Does this mean that the principal should avoid making other students know of his order, so that they too can enjoy the benefit of "not knowing or rather ignorance?

If you understood the op's post at all, then you'd know the defecting students had no idea they had a principal or a school fees that needed to be paid.

2 Likes

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by butterflyl1on: 8:05pm On Feb 02, 2018
NPComplete:

Now here is my argument:

grin cheesy

After reading your rather lengthy ramble I want to now respond in a very simple and logical way which even a toddler cannot say they do not understand.

1. Mathew 24:14 was declared in the days of Christ by Christ himself so let's take that as ground zero shall we? grin

Jesus himself began his ministry with 12 chosen people and others joined these.

In the book of acts it was recorded that 120 faithful were in the upper room when they received the Holy Spirit as promised by Jesus and at the first message by Peter, 3000 got added to that 120.

This was the beginning of the confirmation of Mathew 24:14 and it has never stopped till date.

Now the population of the world as at 2017 is 7.6 billion people and out of this population it is said that to be about 2.4 billion are Christian (not necessarily by faith but by profession) with another 1.6 billion as Muslims, 1.08 billion as Hindus another 488 million as Buddhists and another 18.3 million as followers of Judaism

Add these 5 figures together and you get about 5.6 billion. The reason why I added Muslims to Christians is because Muslims have heard about Jesus and the gospel but rejected it for Islam. Jews have also heard the gospel and Jesus but rejected it. Hindus and Buddhists also know about Jesus but rejected him.

Take away 5.6 billion from 7.6 billion would leave 2 billion.

These 2 billion are shared among the irreligious, and others.

Here is where it gets interesting. grin

In the days of absolutely no technology as we have today it took just 2000 + years to have this gospel declared and known to about 5.6 billion people even though some rejected it but they have either been told or they heard.

If this much could be achieved without the easier information spreading technological methods we have available to is today how hard would you think that this remaining 2 billion would not get to receive the gospel?

I can even go further to say that even among the atheist population, a probable two third have also heard about Jesus and the gospel but also rejected it. This population is said to be about 750 million. I am not talking about the irreligious but outright atheists so let's add that figure as well. One third of 750 million is 500 million.

So 5.6 billion added to 500 million would give us 6.1 billion so what we have is just 1.6 billion to deal with.

As it stands the gospel is being driven aggressively via various means. Print media, cable television, radio, physical missionary work etc and as soon as the new remote location is identified anywhere in the world, there is a missionary group somewhere eager and itching to set foot there for the sake of the gospel.

I could dare to say that I personally estimate that the number of those who are yet to receive or hear this gospel shouldn't be more than a few millions in remote locations but as I said, the clock is ticking and the gospel is fast approaching them so the number can further diminish until Mathew 24:14 is fulfilled.

You can keep on carrying out assumptions while the world keeps on keeping on and the gospel keeps on being preached in an unstoppable manner. People are out there actually physically getting involved and not living on assumptions as you are doing.

The clock is ticking. grin

Talking about hell is not what I aim to do. However, when it is time you will see your ears with your eyes without the aid of a mirror. grin

Regarding your 100 people analogy, do these 100 people get to be born and become adults in 5 minutes? Do they also get pregnant and deliver in a second?

You do realise that information spread now is in seconds or days and not months. Plane rides take hours not months. Electronic media takes seconds. So I wonder how it would take generations before information can get to these remote locations grin

The clock is ticking.

1 Like

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by TomHagen: 8:12pm On Feb 02, 2018
NPComplete:

You are making my point for me. So if God could overlook the days of ignorance and those guys won't go to hell, why does He want the gospel to reach every part of the world then? Why doesn't He just end the world as early as 1 AD since he could have easily saved the majority of the world then?

What has he been waiting for all this while? Meanwhile billions of people are getting less ignorant by your definition and therefore unforgivable in the process. Thus they are condemned to hell.
Catch my drift?
They can never catch your drift.
People will say nonsense to protect their illusions.

This your argument was the watershed moment in my abandoning the nonsense of hell.

3 Likes

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by TomHagen: 8:15pm On Feb 02, 2018
peacesamuel94:

Does this mean that the principal should avoid making other students know of his order, so that they too can enjoy the benefit of "not knowing or rather being ignorant?

When you want to make your analogies, you should always bear in mind that your god is omnipotent.

1 Like

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by NPComplete: 8:40pm On Feb 02, 2018
@butterflyl1on
I like how you just wrote a lengthy wall of text without addressing the points I raised. All wrote down in verbose text can be transcribed into 3 words "we shall see".

U may have convinced yourself of the veracity of the concept of hell. But the concept is very ludicrous considering the premise.

It is either there is no hell and the gospel doesn't have to reach every part of the world before the world ends. Or the god that creates that kind of hell, with such conditions for entering it, is a sadist.
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by godisgood200: 8:44pm On Feb 02, 2018
TomHagen:

This your argument was the watershed moment in my abandoning the nonsense of hell.
You don't sound like you have really abandoned it. If you have, you won't still be talking about it. Well, it's okay to abandon it, but if the God who prophesied that Babylon will Fall and never to be rebuilt, Assyria too. He prophesied the destructiin of Jerusalem and her rebuilding, it happened. He prophesied the coming of the Messiah, it happened, He prophesied the exile of the Jews and their return to their own land, it has happened, He has promised that the evil will burn in Hell, it will happen, it doesn't matter if you ababdon the thought. Just bare in mine that YHWH never plays with His words.

Let's wait and see. The beauty of it is that, even if you were dead then, you shall arise from your grave. No escape.

Just keep wishing it's not true.

2 Likes

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by butterflyl1on: 8:49pm On Feb 02, 2018
NPComplete:
@butterflyl1on
I like how you just wrote a lengthy wall of text without addressing the points I raised. All wrote down in verbose text can be transcribed into 3 words "we shall see".

U may have convinced yourself of the veracity of the concept of hell. But the concept is very ludicrous considering the premise.

It is either there is no hell and the gospel doesn't have to reach every part of the world before the world ends. Or the god that creates that kind of hell, with such conditions for entering it, is a sadist.

You see I made a comment earlier and that comment should show you that I consider your thread not worthy of a detailed response so I simply focused on the "logical" which I expected you to understand better. If you check my profile posts on nairaland you will discover I NEVER dwell on the issue of hell because seeing for you is believing so I will leave it at that.

Hell isn't a theory class as you expected me to theoretically debate your points with you. grin

Hell is practical and perfectly suits your perception as an atheist. You believe in seeing is believing so when you said my comment is summarised in 3 words "we shall see" that was exactly the message I wanted you to get.

And I thank God you got the message so that chalks you off as one number less of those who are yet to receive the gospel.

The clock is ticking cheesy

1 Like

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by TomHagen: 8:52pm On Feb 02, 2018
godisgood200:

You don't sound like you have really abandoned it. If you have, you won't still be talking about it. Well, it's okay to abandon it, but if the God who prophesied that Babylon will Fall and never to be rebuilt, Assyria too. He prophesied the destructiin of Jerusalem and her rebuilding, it happened. He prophesied the coming of the Messiah, it happened, He prophesied the exile of the Jews and their return to their own land, it has happened, He has promised that the evil will burn in Hell, it will happen, it doesn't matter if you ababdon the thought. Just bare in mine that YHWH never plays with His words.

Let's wait and see. The beauty of it is that, even if you were dead then, you shall arise from your grave. No escape.

Just keep wishing it's not true.

How silly.

I still talk about Harry Potter and Mortal Kombat, does that mean I believe they are real?

Do you believe the Islamic hell is real. You know that's where you are headed if Islam is true right?

One more thing, Jesus also said that his generation would see his return.

He was spectacularly off the mark.

3 Likes

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by Emmanystone: 9:04pm On Feb 02, 2018
TomHagen:

Keep wishing it was an illusion, but if it turns out real. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by godisgood200: 9:14pm On Feb 02, 2018
TomHagen:
How silly.

I still talk about Harry Potter and Mortal Kombat, does that mean I believe they are real?

Do you believe the Islamic hell is real. You know that's where you are headed if Islam is true right?

One more thing, Jesus also said that his generation would see his return.

He was spectacularly off the mark.
Pls can you point me to your posts where you talked about Harry Potter and Motal Combat as the supernatural and divine?

You are ahead of yourself. Calm down and understand prophesies before you talk. Well, i won't waste my time explaining anything to you. Only let me reiterate, just keep wishing this is just silly.

Wish this is as Harry Potter and Mortal Combat, because if it's not, Well...

1 Like

Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by TomHagen: 10:20pm On Feb 02, 2018
godisgood200:

Pls can you point me to your posts where you talked about Harry Potter and Motal Combat as the supernatural and divine?

You are ahead of yourself. Calm down and understand prophesies before you talk. Well, i won't waste my time explaining anything to you. Only let me reiterate, just keep wishing this is just silly.

Wish this is as Harry Potter and Mortal Combat, because if it's not, Well...
Must I talk about it on the internet?

It's silly.

Wishing it to be true will not make it true.
Sorry!
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by NPComplete: 11:35pm On Feb 02, 2018
butterflyl1on:

You see I made a comment earlier and that comment should show you that I consider your thread not worthy of a detailed response so I simply focused on the "logical" which I expected you to understand better. If you check my profile posts on nairaland you will discover I NEVER dwell on the issue of hell because seeing for you is believing so I will leave it at that.

Hell isn't a theory class as you expected me to theoretically debate your points with you. grin

Hell is practical and perfectly suits your perception as an atheist. You believe in seeing is believing so when you said my comment is summarised in 3 words "we shall see" that was exactly the message I wanted you to get.

And I thank God you got the message so that chalks you off as one number less of those who are yet to receive the gospel.

The clock is ticking cheesy

**facepalm**
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by butterflyl1on: 11:46pm On Feb 02, 2018
NPComplete:

**facepalm**

You may as well do a ***bodypalm** as well and not just your face
Re: Hell, Silly Silly Thing. by godisgood200: 10:52pm On Feb 03, 2018
TomHagen:
Must I talk about it on the internet?

It's silly.

Wishing it to be true will not make it true.
Sorry!
I didn't say you shd wish it to be true. I said, wish it wasn't true, for if it is, then...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Agnostics Also Atheists? An Interesting Discussion! / Religion Without Righteousness Is What ? / Touch Not My Anointed And Do My Prophet No Harm?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.