Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,697 members, 7,805,860 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Is Atheism A Religion? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Atheism A Religion? (2097 Views)

What Is Atheism? / Is Atheism Gaining Ground? / Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Okworigeorge(m): 2:40pm On Apr 16, 2017
ghst:

funny,I know what it means,there are atheists who opted to become an atheist not for personal reasons but they just decided to join the bandwagon
now those are the type of people that will tell u that Atheism means not believing a deity, people like u
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Okworigeorge(m): 2:43pm On Apr 16, 2017
matrix600:
Yes, so long as they lack belief in a deity, that is all that matters. Believe in reincarnation/afterlife does not totally rely on theism,
So yes, an atheist can believe in reincarnation and the afterlife. It all depends on what philosophy he applies to arrive at that belief.

now do u call a Buddha that doesn't believe in the Almighty but believes in the afterlife an Atheist?
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by matrix600(m): 2:46pm On Apr 16, 2017
Okworigeorge:
and yes I redefined it, check my third paragraph...

What does Atheism mean? There is no singular definition of Atheism, just as in Religion. Most people define Atheism as the
belief that there is no God or gods but I find
it wrong because to me, it is not a man's
belief but his lack of belief that makes him
an Atheist. Atheism is not a disbelief in a
deity or a denial of gods but a lack of belief
in Religion. With this, we can define Atheism
as the assertion that there is God or gods,
witchcraft, the supernatural or the afterlife.
Atheism is not a lack of belief in religion as you postulated, it is a lack of belief in a deity. People do not believe in a religion instead they believe in the doctrines that guides that religion which are mostly hinged on a deity/god/gods.

So therefore,you cannot say that Atheism is a lack of belief in religion, any more than you can say that Theism is the belief in religion.
Emphasis here is on 'Deity/God/Gods(same thing). It is the belief or the lack of in a deity that makes the difference.
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by matrix600(m): 2:47pm On Apr 16, 2017
Okworigeorge:
now do u call a Buddha that doesn't believe in the Almighty but believes in the afterlife an Atheist?
Yes, it's very clear
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Okworigeorge(m): 2:49pm On Apr 16, 2017
matrix600:
Yes, it's very clear
someone that practices spiritism too?
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Okworigeorge(m): 2:51pm On Apr 16, 2017
matrix600:
Atheism is not a lack of belief in religion as you postulated, it is a lack of belief in a deity. People do not believe in a religion instead they believe in the doctrines that guides that religion which are mostly hinged on a deity/god/gods.

So therefore,you cannot say that Atheism is a lack of belief in religion, any more than you can say that Theism is the belief in religion.
Emphasis here is on 'Deity/God/Gods(same thing). It is the belief or the lack of in a deity that makes the difference.
show me where I said the bolded
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by matrix600(m): 2:55pm On Apr 16, 2017
Okworigeorge:
and yes I redefined it, check my third paragraph...

What does Atheism mean? There is no singular definition of Atheism, just as in Religion. Most people define Atheism as the
belief that there is no God or gods but I find
it wrong because to me, it is not a man's
belief but his lack of belief that makes him
an Atheist. [/color]Atheism is not a disbelief in a
deity or a denial of gods but a lack of belief
in Religion[color=#990000]
. With this, we can define Atheism
as the assertion that there is God or gods,
witchcraft, the supernatural or the afterlife.
Here it is
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Okworigeorge(m): 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2017
matrix600:
Here it is
it seems you have a problem with comprehension...to understand what I meant in that sentence, you'll have to first know what religion itself means...I never defined religion as just a belief in God
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by ScepticalPyrrho: 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2017
Okworigeorge:
I don't believe in any God's existence... I'm just letting ignorant fvcks know that cos u say u don't believe in a god doesn't make u an Atheist

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by ScepticalPyrrho: 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2017
ghst:

just because you believe in your theory doesn't make it a reality
You are not making sense.
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by matrix600(m): 3:26pm On Apr 16, 2017
Okworigeorge:
it seems you have a problem with comprehension...to understand what I meant in that sentence, you'll have to first know what religion itself means...I never defined religion as just a belief in God
I hope you realize that you're already loosing this argument.

Are you trying to invent Your Own Meaning in order to replace the already existing meaning of the words :
Atheism and Religion
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by akintom(m): 3:51pm On Apr 16, 2017
ghst:

funny,I know what it means,there are atheists who opted to become an atheist not for personal reasons but they just decided to join the bandwagon

You're still deepening your ignorance boy.

Personal reason?

Bandwagon?
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by ghst(m): 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
You are not making sense.

how am I not making any sense,atheists believe in the big bang theory,give me one atheist that doesn't believe in the big bang theory?
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by ghst(m): 4:10pm On Apr 16, 2017
akintom:

You're still deepening your ignorance boy.

Personal reason?

Bandwagon?

atheism from my perception is a product of deepened research into science and the feel of pride that comes from inventions which is why atheist believes they are their own gods,a painter Michel Angelo painted a picture illustrating God's contact with man,I believe atheists altered the picture I made this discovery in a movie that I watched,any atheist who's not researched deeply into the world of science obviously joined the bandwagon
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Apr 16, 2017
So you never know.
It is
And the name of their God
Is Nothing or The Big Bang

grin
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by akintom(m): 4:23pm On Apr 16, 2017
ghst:

atheism from my perception is a product of deepened research into science and the feel of pride that comes from inventions which is why atheist believes they are their own gods,a painter Michel Angelo painted a picture illustrating God's contact with man,I believe atheists altered the picture I made this discovery in a movie that I watched,any atheist who's not researched deeply into the world of science obviously joined the bandwagon

Now you're in deep poo. You started straying when you said atheists suffer herd effect, therefore atheists are religious.

You went further to claim that atheists have Shepherd.

Just to help you and your likes, who are having same difficulty, that plagues you now.

Atheism (for the lack of better word) is a mere "response position" to the unsubstantiated claims of existence of gods.

Atheism is neither ideological nor philosophical nor conceptual position.

2 Likes

Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by ghst(m): 8:08pm On Apr 16, 2017
akintom:

Now you're in deep poo. You started straying when you said atheists suffer herd effect, therefore atheists are religious.

You went further to claim that atheists have Shepherd.

Just to help you and your likes, who are having same difficulty, that plagues you now.

Atheism (for the lack of better word) is a mere "response position" to the unsubstantiated claims of existence of gods.

Atheism is neither ideological nor philosophical nor conceptual position.

nope u are wrong,you are describing an agnostic,agnostic are sitting on the fence,that's why they will never rule out the existence of God,but they don't believe,they are not on any bandwagon whether for religion or against it,atheism is a movement,more like a unified mind that is why it's waxing strong in today's world of media,more people are becoming atheist not because they did any personal research but because their minds were simply altered by intellectual minds they adore.
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Apr 16, 2017
Okworigeorge:
I was going through a friend's FB wall and noticed that under his religious views, he wrote Agnostic. That got my rebuffed, different thoughts began to fill my head; Do religious people see Atheism as another form of religion? Do Atheist see themselves as being religious? What do Atheists write on their CVs under religion? But before I proceed, I'll like to ask a question. Is bald a type of hairstyle?

Firstly, what is the general definition of religion? Religion itself is a difficult thing to define, it has no singular definition but all it's proposed definition emphasizes on a belief in a deity (God or gods), the supernatural or the afterlife. If I'm not a follower of any known religion, I don't belief in any deity or the afterlife but I believe that a particular shirt of mine brings me good luck, so I always wear that shirt to important functions expecting it to favour me, it means I have Faith/belief in that shirt, I'm religious. I always tell my friends that, you are only a Christian/Muslim because you have Faith. Without Faith, you're an Atheist.

What does Atheism mean? There is no singular definition of Atheism, just as in Religion. Most people define Atheism as the belief that there is no God or gods but I find it wrong because to me, it is not a man's belief but his lack of belief that makes him an Atheist. Atheism is not a disbelief in a deity or a denial of gods but a lack of belief in Religion. With this, we can define Atheism as the assertion that there is God or gods, witchcraft, the supernatural or the afterlife.

Just as we don't chose to go bald, no one chooses to become an Atheist, we just lack that Faith/belief. We are who we've become because of who we are.
words evolve and their meanings change,religion is not only the belief in God these days but also the belief in a superhuman or superior order needed for the progress of mankind communism,humanism ,liberalism,transhumanism and secularism these are the new age religions. so one can disbelieve in god and still be religious
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by akintom(m): 6:49am On Apr 17, 2017
ghst:

nope u are wrong,you are describing an agnostic,agnostic are sitting on the fence,that's why they will never rule out the existence of God,but they don't believe,they are not on any bandwagon whether for religion or against it,atheism is a movement,more like a unified mind that is why it's waxing strong in today's world of media,more people are becoming atheist not because they did any personal research but because their minds were simply altered by intellectual minds they adore.
Since you're not saying anything in clear terms, may i ask you,
*who is an atheist?
*how does atheist emerge
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Nobody: 9:23am On Apr 17, 2017
ghst:

how am I not making any sense,atheists believe in the big bang theory,give me one atheist that doesn't believe in the big bang theory?

I don't believe in the big bang theory. I'm agnostic tho
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Okworigeorge(m): 6:47pm On Apr 17, 2017
stephenmorris:
words evolve and their meanings change,religion is not only the belief in God these days but also the belief in a superhuman or superior order needed for the progress of mankind communism,humanism ,liberalism,transhumanism and secularism these are the new age religions. so one can disbelieve in god and still be religious
exactly what I've being preaching to them...

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 17, 2017
matrix600:
Yes, so long as they lack belief in a deity, that is all that matters. Believe in reincarnation/afterlife does not totally rely on theism,
So yes, an atheist can believe in reincarnation and the afterlife. It all depends on what philosophy he applies to arrive at that belief.

Atheism is not a religion.
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 17, 2017
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by matrix600(m): 6:05am On Apr 18, 2017
CeoMYN:

we all know that
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Nobody: 7:16am On Apr 18, 2017
matrix600:
we all know that

What is the OP trying to say then?
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by matrix600(m): 8:26am On Apr 18, 2017
CeoMYN:

What is the OP trying to say then?
He's saying that not everyone who lacks belief in god is an atheist.
He means that there are people who do not believe in a god, who are also not atheist, he claims that atheism is a lack of belief in religion.

And so our argument is thus: anyone who does not believe in a god is an atheist, it is the belief or lack of, that makes the difference, atheism is a lack of belief in a deity/god( says I)
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by matrix600(m): 8:54am On Apr 18, 2017
stephenmorris:
Yes ,one can disbelieve in god and still be religious, just like one can believe in god and still be irreligious.

The contrasting view to atheism is not religion, which is where most people are missing it, including the OP, it is theism that is in stark contrast to atheism.

So religious atheists--- YES
irreligious atheists--- YES

Religious theists --- YES
irreligious theists -- YES
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Okworigeorge(m): 3:17pm On Apr 25, 2017
matrix600:
Yes ,one can disbelieve in god and still be religious, just like one can believe in god and still be irreligious.

The contrasting view to atheism is not religion, which is where most people are missing it, including the OP, it is theism that is in stark contrast to atheism.

So religious atheists--- YES NO
irreligious atheists--- YES

Religious theists --- YES
irreligious theists -- YES
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by Okworigeorge(m): 11:52am On Oct 15, 2017
So you never know.
It is
And the name of their God
Is Nothing or The Big Bang

grin
not funny
Re: Is Atheism A Religion? by superhumanist(m): 12:10pm On Oct 15, 2017
Atheism is not a religion

Neither is theism in of itself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Has Anyone Here Ever Taken DMT? What Was Your Experience Like? / Question For Those Who Left Christianity. / Pastor Peter Kayode's Story - True Or False?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.