Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,978 members, 7,806,854 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon (58969 Views)

Lagos Demolition Of Otodo Gbame Illegal, Court Rules / Otodo Gbame Residents Protest At Governor Ambode's Office In Alausa (pics / Nigerians React To The Demolition Of Otodo Gbame In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by BlowBack: 5:07pm On Apr 09, 2017
Thatitan234:

Although climate change is indeed real, there's no way the whole of Lagos island is under the Atlantic ocean in 20years.
Increased rate of coastal erosion and flooding though will occur

VI, Lekki and Ajah are below sea level

The sand filling of Lekki marshland (which used to act as a natural shoal buffer between the Atlantic, Lagoon and adjacent mainland) led to serious coastal erosion at the VI bar beach.

Subsequent sand filling of the VI bar beach to its original extent has led to ocean currents flowing parallel and towards the Lekki marshy areas thus leading to the severe coastal erosion in Lekki environs.

With projected sea level rise owing to accelerated ice cap melts in the arctic, the coastal erosion and ocean encroachment will be unprecedented.

The Eko project is doomed and VI and Lekki will be under the atlantic. Even the Lagos lagoon is threatened with the destruction of the natural shoals in Lekki as a result of urban development, the Atlantic will extend towards Ebutta-Meta, Yaba and Apapa. Oworonshoki will also be wiped out.

I am an Oceanographer

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by Papertrail11(m): 5:07pm On Apr 09, 2017
Tonason:
With the hardship here and there. Do they care at all? Do they want these people to fall inside Lagoon? What is the hope of all these people? The first basic amenities is shelter, now these ones are deprived of it without providing alternative.

if this pple go into crime the amount of money govt would hav give them for compensation would be change compared to the damage they would have done of all the crimes I've been hearing in lag the worst that scaresbme is the holdup live robbery all this is part of it
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2017
ambode is heartless.
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by Laple0541(m): 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2017
NnamdiKanu:
Brown Roof Republicans?

Wetin concern Umuchineke in Biafra land with Oily soup consumers and scratched faces undecided

Mumu, you forgot the fact that it's your brothers and sisters from Biafraudland that live in slums like that in Lagos! Yoruba's don't live there.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by thunderbabs: 5:11pm On Apr 09, 2017
[quote author=BlowBack post=55411361]Within the next 20yrs, Lagos Island, V.I., Ajah, Lekki, Epe will be under the Atlantic.

All this is vanity.

The multibillion naira settlements they hope to build on poor people's land will be washed into the Ocean.

The wickedness they are doing to this poor people will be rewarded back a hundred folds in 20yrs.

Did i see poor people's land? Dey no dey on land ooo..
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by BABANGBALI: 5:11pm On Apr 09, 2017
Semper247:

With a pump action or Ak -47?
with a bomb
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by Neddstark: 5:11pm On Apr 09, 2017
NnamdiKanu:
Brown Roof Republicans?

Wetin concern Umuchineke in Biafra land with Oily soup consumers and scratched faces undecided

Flatheaded cretin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by okonja(m): 5:12pm On Apr 09, 2017
AnonyNymous:
I feel sorry for them. . .but I believe they were warned enough. And some of those structures are illegal. I stand to be corrected

I thought as much, because no smoke without fire, I am very sure they were notified long before now lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by TheStronghold: 5:14pm On Apr 09, 2017
okonja:

I thought as much, because no smoke without fire, I am very sure they were notified long before now lipsrsealed
Yeah I believe so too. Stuff like this happens in every developing country. I've seen protests against Chinese and indian government for clearing out slums and villages as well. There is no perfect path to development, and again, there is no way Ambode would come in the middle of the night just to burn their houses, you have to be stupid to believe that. They were given enough warning to relocate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by profhezekiah: 5:19pm On Apr 09, 2017
When I talk some fools will say am obessed with the rogue call ambode not knowing is a ruthless hypocrite,highly corrupt and moreover he is my kinsman.
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by sexy74(m): 5:20pm On Apr 09, 2017
ooh God is it a crime to be poor?
Where are they been chased to now?
When the effect of what is done bounces back don't blame them.
I know one thing Ij Ng for sure we will all answer for our evil deed on our fellow man.
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by Malawian(m): 5:24pm On Apr 09, 2017
chloride6:
I have mixed feelings about this.....

From a legal stance, the governor is allowed to do what he is doing.

I doubt if that place has the appropriate title documents.... grin grin grin

From a humanitarian point of view, what can he do?

Save compensate them. Compensate them for illegally occupying that place.
what do you mean by title documents to someone's ancestral lands?
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by iomoge2(f): 5:25pm On Apr 09, 2017
This is so so sad
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by mapet: 5:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
ZombiePUNISHER:
In sane climes the government will provide an alternative shelter for them before destroying their homes....
They will know that such moves promotes crime and poverty rates

But this is Nigeria
If you call it a zoo
You are not far from the truth

In sane climes, you hardly go an occupy a land that is not yours. All areas are marked, even if development has not commenced. Govt WILL EJECT you if you put up as little as a shack in those lands.

Have you looked at the development plans or document of Lagos state and what that place was ear-marked for? Meanwhile, the issue of resettling them is neither here not there? Are the bonafide citizens of Lagos State? Do they have ancestral heritage or what will be so binding that make govt give them another land?

As someone who had been a "victim" of govt demolition (old Akanimodo/Ajelogo market Mile-12), truth is if you're living in any part of Lagos, either as a community or cooperative, and their is no valid document to your tenure, you're living on borrowed times

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by sexy74(m): 5:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
TheStronghold:

Yeah I believe so too. Stuff like this happens in every developing country. I've seen protests against Chinese and indian government for clearing out slums and villages as well. There is no perfect path to development, and again, there is no way Ambode would come in the middle of the night just to burn their houses, you have to be stupid to believe that. They were given enough warning to relocate.
How would they relocate, is it with there blood or money?
My brother it should not be a crime to be poor.
Plans should have been made to properly relocate them.
We don't have to compound peoples problems all in the name of development.
Put yourself in their shoes you will understand the pains they would be going through now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by Kingbuhari(m): 5:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
all this afonjas without home should go back to their respective hinterland villages, our Lagos is not meant for everyone
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 09, 2017
Bobby4090:
Those folks there constitute a nuisance. How can u have a mega slum in Lekki phase One. It's like building a heavy slum in the middle of Maitama. They have been given places to migrate to but they refused. City planning and land demarcation must be properly applied to if any city is to be great and liveable. It's not by force to be in Lag. Am from Imo state and the day Lagos doesn't favour me I head straight home rather than being a refugee in a foreign land.
You don't know anything about city planning. City planning should be all inclusive to both the poor and the rich. This is gentrification. Or do you want them to move into Eko Atlantic city?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by mapet: 5:32pm On Apr 09, 2017
wristbangle:

Yes they were but no notice was served and alternative place was not provided for these people. It won't take any dime for LSG to provide low cost accommodation for these people. May God touch the heart of ambode

Govt provide alternate accommodation for them? Sentiments aside, that holds no water. You want to send a signalling effect that to get accommodation in Lagos, just go and occupy a government areas, when development gets to that place, govt is supposed to give you accommodation........

Trust me, it does not work.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by mapet: 5:33pm On Apr 09, 2017
Max24:

BlowBack: :
Within the next 20yrs, Lagos Island, V.I., Ajah, Lekki, Epe will be under the Atlantic.

All this is vanity.

The multibillion naira settlements they hope to build on poor people's land will be washed into the Ocean.

The wickedness they are doing to this poor people will be rewarded back a hundred folds in 20yrs.

Climate chanji is here
Are u sure of what you are saying? That Lekki and environs will be submerged .

When someone makes a claim and gives no reference (either scientific or any other), don't you know it is intoxication talking

1 Like

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by chloride6: 5:34pm On Apr 09, 2017
Malawian:

Even ancestral lands require a governor's consent.
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by HEYWAYA: 5:37pm On Apr 09, 2017
Bobby4090:
Those folks there constitute a nuisance. How can u have a mega slum in Lekki phase One. It's like building a heavy slum in the middle of Maitama. They have been given places to migrate to but they refused. City planning and land demarcation must be properly applied to if any city is to be great and liveable. It's not by force to be in Lag. Am from Imo state and the day Lagos doesn't favour me I head straight home rather than being a refugee in a foreign land.

Bros, there is a slum in Maitama

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by mapet: 5:37pm On Apr 09, 2017
Malawian:

Ancestral what?
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by AbiolaFawole(m): 5:38pm On Apr 09, 2017
BlowBack:
Within the next 20yrs, Lagos Island, V.I., Ajah, Lekki, Epe will be under the Atlantic.

All this is vanity.

Climate chanji is here
That is not the meaning of climate change you slow poke
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by mousco(m): 5:39pm On Apr 09, 2017
The area is too dirty and not conducive for living, I believe the state govt must have given them notice to quit the vicinity before this action. I still believe the state govt have good plans there for better settlement

1 Like

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by BlowBack: 5:40pm On Apr 09, 2017
mapet:

When someone makes a claim and gives no reference (either scientific or any other), don't you know it is intoxication talking

VI and Lekki gets submerged anytime it rains.

The temporary relief VI is enjoying as per ocean surge is because of the land filling currently ongoing which was what caused the erosion of bar beach mainly due to the sand filling of Lekki shoals. Now the water is now racing back to Lekki and we are witnessing severe coastal erosion.

Even if I put up a scientific paper here for you to read all you sceptics will still rubbish it.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by TheStronghold: 5:40pm On Apr 09, 2017
12inches1:

You don't know anything about city plan. City planning should be all inclusive to both the poor and the rich. This is gentrification. Or do you want them to move into Eko Atlantic city?
you do realize there are plenty of afforable places to live in Lekki? Stop presenting false narratives.
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by BlowBack: 5:43pm On Apr 09, 2017
AbiolaFawole:
That is not the meaning of climate change you slow poke

Keep deceiving yourself that your slum city is not immune to climate change
Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by ajl: 5:43pm On Apr 09, 2017
As usual, Nigerians here rather than ask the most valid questions , as usual are be clouding their sense of reasoning with sentiments. Of course, it hurts when you see this kind of images but do the the people who are being displaced by the government own that land.

What step have the government taken prior to this action. That place has been in the news recently; with incident of and arson.

So, who own the land in Otodo Gbame?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by osile2012: 5:43pm On Apr 09, 2017
Hmmm . To Rate him, Follow the link on my signature, search for Ambode and rate.

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by ajl: 5:43pm On Apr 09, 2017
As usual, Nigerians here rather than ask the most valid questions , as usual are beclouding their sense of reasoning with sentiments. Of course, it hurts when you see this kind of images but do the the people who are being displaced by the government own that land.

What step have the government taken prior to this action. That place has been in the news recently; with incident of and arson.

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by ajl: 5:44pm On Apr 09, 2017
As usual, Nigerians here rather than ask the most valid questions , as usual are beclouding their sense of reasoning with sentiments. Of course, it hurts when you see this kind of images but do the the people who are being displaced by the government own that land.

What step have the government taken prior to this action. That place has been in the news recently; with incident of death and arson.

Re: Lagos Task Force Burns Homes Of Otodo Gbame Residents, Chase Them Into Lagoon by irrefragable: 5:46pm On Apr 09, 2017
NnamdiKanu:
Brown Roof Republicans?

please stop this. Have you no sense of humanity? These are people like you and me being rendered homeless.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Biafra: IPOB Representatives Arrive UN General Assembly (Photos) / Abubakar Shekau: US Offers $7m Bounty For The Capture Of Boko Haram Leader / Aregbesola Hands Over Corpse Of Adeyinka Adebayo To Fayose (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.