Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,589 members, 7,770,535 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:28 AM

Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You (51200 Views)

"English That Only Makes Sense In Nigeria" Trends On Twitter, Ah Naija Self / Drop An English That Will Move Mountains And Dry Up River Niger. Mine Is? / Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by edymonte: 7:18pm On Apr 09, 2017
There are many commonly misused, misspelled, and mispronounced words in English. I will try to mention, to the best of my knowledge and experience, the most commonly abused words here.

HEARING: The word HEAR is a verb. The incorrect use of hearing is usually over phone communication for example “I am not hearing you’’ This is wrong. The correct way to say this is: “I cannot hear you’’

There are legal uses of the word though. There is the noun hearing which means the ability to perceive sounds. e.g. There are people who have very acute hearing.

Also, another noun form of hearing means an opportunity to state one’s case e.g. I think I had a fair hearing in court.

ATE: As we all know, ate is the past tense of eat. The problem with this word for most people is not so much in the use as in the pronunciation.

Very many people pronounce the word as “ETE’’ as in TETE, whatever that means.

The correct pronunciation of this word is ATE as in HATE without the “H’’

It might be embarrassing to mispronounce this simple word in public.

REVERT: Haven’t we all seen it in email correspondences, “Please Revert’’ or in some cases, “Revert Back’’.

Contrary to what many think, revert doesn’t mean reply.

Revert means return to (a previous state, practice etc.) For example, “You look so much better now that you are on a diet; please don’t revert to eating junk food’’.

If revert is used correctly as above, it would suffice on its own and not require the inclusion of “Back’’ as in “Revert back’’ as this would be redundancy.

MISCHIEVOUS: When someone is full of mischief, that person is said to be mischievous. People know this already but the problem with this word is the pronunciation.

The word is pronounced MIS-CHIEVIOUS by many. Blink and you miss it. Did you spot the difference? Yes, the letter “I’’. There is no letter “I’’ after the letter “V’’ and there isn’t supposed to be one, not in the spelling and definitely not in the pronunciation.

DEFINITELY: Definitely means beyond doubt. The problem with this word for many is not in the usage or the spelling, but like in the previous word, the problem is in the pronunciation.

This word is pronounced by many as DEF-I-NATE-LY.

It should instead be pronounced as it is written. DEF-I-NITE-LY.

PRONUNCIATION: This list would not be complete without this commonly mispronounced word. (No pun intended)

Pronounce is a verb and the noun form of it is pronunciation.

I believe the origin of the problem with this word is the disparity in the spelling of the verb and the noun.

Many people already know the word pronounce and they know how to spell it, so they probably just apply the modification from pronounce to pronounciation directly which is wrong. The correct spelling does not have the second “O’’.

The correct spelling and pronunciation is PRO-NUN-CI-A-TION. I reiterate, no pun intended.

So, to avoid embarrassment, please take note of these words and correct yourself appropriately.

http://airtel.laffhub.com/blog/common-mistakes-in-english-that-might-embarrass-you

82 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by MrEgbegbe(m): 10:28pm On Apr 09, 2017

You think this will help those dumbasses that voted for a 98 years old donkey ??

Tell me how someone who voted for a drink illiterate would be concerned about the use of words

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Nobody: 10:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
Who English EPP? angry

If nah grammar Efe for lose for bbn

I beg op park well jor undecided

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by adorablepepple(f): 10:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
smiley
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by mennagina(m): 10:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
gifty of bb naija com oo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Error111: 10:29pm On Apr 09, 2017

Good evening. Thanks a lot for viewing this thread.
Please i want you to advise me on my academic career.

I'm 19 years of age and I'm currently in HND 1 [Business Admin] and I wish to obtain BSc. Certificate after my HND Programmes.

My question, should I obtain:

i. JAMB immediately after my HND programme,
ii. Direct Entry Form after my HND programme
iii. PG.D form after my HND programme

ADVISE ME PLEASE

2 Likes

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by femmy2010(m): 10:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
Okay
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Jh0wsef(m): 10:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
Avoid using the "will" word

E.g TBoss "will" win

that's embarrassing

Efe get supporters o, chei Dgringrin

6 Likes

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by realestniggah: 10:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
abeg who english epp

leave story..

efe way nah correct waffi guy just win 25m without speaking good English most of the duration of the show

see uriel way dey speak queen English were she dey?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by smartty68(m): 10:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
Nice one OP. But I wan hass you small quetion ni.
Whah is the past partipeople of "I won werey"?
grin

3 Likes

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by kaycyor: 10:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
WHO ENGLISH HELP!!!! abi e fit reduce price if things for market!!!

1 Like

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by KiNiBiGd: 10:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
grin
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by YukHub: 10:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
ABEG WHO ENGLISH AFFECT WHEN GUYS ARE CURRENTLY EFECTED

http://yukhub.com
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Tazdroid(m): 10:30pm On Apr 09, 2017
Hmm
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by jatau7(m): 10:30pm On Apr 09, 2017
who English epp...we dey talk abt efe dis 1 dey post English. .gerriahia mehnn

4 Likes

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by wassade: 10:31pm On Apr 09, 2017
Someone just won 25M wo u help
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by princejayy(m): 10:31pm On Apr 09, 2017
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Tazdroid(m): 10:32pm On Apr 09, 2017
sirugos:
Credit Alert: N25,000,000 Ref:
BBNaija 2017 - EFE
Avail. Bal: N25,001,256. This is what we need now not english

8 Likes

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Ezedon(m): 10:32pm On Apr 09, 2017
Story, English is just our second language

1 Like

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Blessytee(f): 10:32pm On Apr 09, 2017
Nice one op

1 Like

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by tosyne2much(m): 10:32pm On Apr 09, 2017
This country sha... We are so much concerned about accurate dictions yet we still rely on countries who lay emphasis on their own native languages

4 Likes

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by money121(m): 10:33pm On Apr 09, 2017
Ok
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Horlawale1(m): 10:35pm On Apr 09, 2017
Noted
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by LionDeLeo: 10:35pm On Apr 09, 2017
edymonte:

http://airtel.laffhub.com/blog/common-mistakes-in-english-that-might-embarrass-you

OP, good job. Comments by some hungry posters shouldn't bother you.

7 Likes

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by justicejay(m): 10:36pm On Apr 09, 2017
Grammar no be success
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by DJMicky(m): 10:36pm On Apr 09, 2017
Your facts no follow, was disappointed
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by jodababa(m): 10:36pm On Apr 09, 2017
It helps a lot sha especially that hearing

1 Like

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Ibenny(f): 10:37pm On Apr 09, 2017
Error111:

Good evening. Thanks a lot for viewing this thread.
Please i want you to advise me on my academic career.

I'm 19 years of age and I'm currently in HND 1 [Business Admin] and I wish to obtain BSc. Certificate after my HND Programmes.

My question, should I obtain:

i. JAMB immediately after my HND programme,
ii. Direct Entry Form after my HND programme
iii. PG.D form after my HND programme

ADVISE ME PLEASE

You should obtain the "Direct entry form" so that you can from 200level hopefully.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Approves 5 New Varsities, With ₦5 Billion Take-Off Grant / HELP! Is Surname The First Name Or Last Name? / 4-Year-Old Girl Destroys School Properties. Teacher Reacts Calmly (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.