Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? (13479 Views)

Speed Limiter Device On Commercial Vehicles / The First Car To Ever Get A Speed Ticket Was Caught Doing 8MPH / Speed Limiter: FRSC Impounds 20 Vehicles In Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by incredibleace(m): 7:41am On Apr 10, 2017
Zonacom:
What's FRSC speed limit for private vehicles, trucks and persenger vehicles each?

100kmph
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by incredibleace(m): 7:45am On Apr 10, 2017
bash4us:
Let no officer ask me of my speed limiter ooo. The emphasis is on commercial not private. Understand!?

when there are through with commercial vehicles,private would be next.

do yours now to avoid the rush by then

01-2911860
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by oyienootieno: 7:48am On Apr 10, 2017
nedu2000:
I have it installed and I am pissed. 'oyibo way raise speedometer reach 220km/h are they fools?'.
Scenarios can occur when I would have to drive beyond 90,like forest fires and robberies. Now i'm just a sitting duck!! Speeding should be the decision/discretion of the trained driver. embarassed

Especially robbery.... I think we need to start countering some of this policies.
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by majamajic(m): 7:50am On Apr 10, 2017
Ezedon:
How does this reduce the price of garri, fuel and dollar?

I think they are talking abt your life.
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by oyienootieno: 7:52am On Apr 10, 2017
Mboi2:
@Op, how much does this device cost? FRSC said it's N45K to N52k depending on your type of vehicle. If your vehicle does not have the sensors necessary for the installation, I don't know how they'll do it to install it.
Also information from a reliable source said the actual cost of that device is N5K but after adding money for different people and for different purposes, it came up as high as N45000.

My question about this device is, in a situation where armed robbers are chasing the vehicle with the speed limit on the highway, how will the vehicle run in other not to be caught by those robbers.

The major cause of accident in Nigeria is bad roads. Is it not where you have smooth road that you overspeed? Also let the price of this device come as low as N8000 so that motorists will be able to buy it.

It is just a money making avenue. The we need to unite and disgrace any officer charging beyond the official rate. Or better still find a good technician to install it i don't trust does man no man officers.
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by incredibleace(m): 7:53am On Apr 10, 2017
gbadexy:
The op forgot to tell us the cost of installing it and it's effect on the vehicle besides limiting speed.
If it was compulsory abroad, all used buses and trucks imported would have come with them.
What's the use of a truck with speed limiter when the roads are full of pot holes to limit speed already.
The device costs upwards of N40000 to install, not to talk of the process involved.
I see it as another meaningless scheme to enrich some party contractor just like the issue of plate number.

we can do for #40000 for the total package,but if your car speed sensor is manual you will be needing the external speed sensor for conversion to electric,that will attract additional cost.
call this number 01-2911860
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by oyienootieno: 7:57am On Apr 10, 2017
incredibleace:

we can do for #40000 for the total package,but if your car speed sensor is manual you will be needing the external speed sensor for conversion to electric,that will attract additional cost.
call this number 01-2911860

And what is the insurance policy, Incase of damage or fire strike as a result of wrong assembling?
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:58am On Apr 10, 2017
incredibleace:

GPS enabled device is not approved by the FRSC.

Most busses plying lagos to ibadan, oyo,ondo, ilessha, do not have engine ECUS what happens to those busses?
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by eggy(m): 7:59am On Apr 10, 2017
nedu2000:
I have it installed and I am pissed. 'oyibo way raise speedometer reach 220km/h are they fools?'.
Scenarios can occur when I would have to drive beyond 90,like forest fires and robberies. Now i'm just a sitting duck!! Speeding should be the decision/discretion of the trained driver. embarassed

I practically fell asleep twice while driving as i cldnt even get up to 90km/hr On a brand new hilux (like seriously).
I think this Law shld be reviewed!!! overtaking Tankers and Other heavy duty vehicles was quite a battle. How is one to travel frm lagos to Abuja on less than 90km/hr.. May God Help us for as soon as the highway boiz get to knw; we will all be done for.
I doubt if the FRSC clearly tot this tru or if their own vehicles have it installed.

The funny thing is they do not stop all the rickety commercial buses, danfo, tankers ànd d likes; but will rush to the road when a brand new hilux is comming simply cus my no is commercial.

somethin will definitely give!!!

FRSC has become a profit making organisation as they are quick to issue tickets n fine, This fines which i belive should be remited to coffers of the domiciled Local govment where offence was commited and not into the hands of A federal agency that is fully funded by the FG.

Generating revenue seems to be their biggest intrest just like the VIO... i clearly remember the issue of the reflective stickers(God of Israel let me leavr that for another day).

My advice to any1 is to delay the installation till the very end when a huge chunk of vehicles will have it installed or when the law is repelled.

4 Likes

Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by menxer: 8:03am On Apr 10, 2017
A very scant article.

Why not just do copy and paste from Wikipedia, that would have been more educative?
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by Lionofdjungle: 8:07am On Apr 10, 2017
Most of the commercial buses are not even road worthy, they can't even speed much on the road left alone. Which speed are you limiting in a rickety vehicle?
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by abiolag(m): 8:08am On Apr 10, 2017
grin grin
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by Springforth: 8:09am On Apr 10, 2017
Kuku kee me.....how much be my whole car
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by incredibleace(m): 8:14am On Apr 10, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Most busses plying lagos to ibadan, oyo,ondo, ilessha, do not have engine ECUS what happens to those busses?

this is where our external speed sensor cable comes in,it will convert it from manual(i.e cables) to electronic(which will go to the device)
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by incredibleace(m): 8:18am On Apr 10, 2017
oyienootieno:

And what is the insurance policy, Incase of damage or fire strike as a result of wrong assembling?

we dont tamper with your brainbox,and our engineers are well trained and are professionals

01-2911860
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:21am On Apr 10, 2017
incredibleace:

this is where our external speed sensor cable comes in,it will convert it from manual(i.e cables) to electronic(which will go to the device)

when GPS would have been stand alone. By the time an unqualified personal does the wrong thing, car starts having issues. What if the cable is faulty or defective?
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by incredibleace(m): 8:23am On Apr 10, 2017
oyienootieno:

It is just a money making avenue. The we need to unite and disgrace any officer charging beyond the official rate. Or better still find a good technician to install it i don't trust does man no man officers.

not just anyone can do it,we have accredited vendors approved by FRSC. certificates are issued too.

accredited vendor call 01-2911860,
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by incredibleace(m): 8:24am On Apr 10, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

when GPS would have been stand alone. By the time an unqualified personal does the wrong thing, car starts having issues. What if the cable is faulty or defective?

our engineers are well trained

call now 01-2911860,
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by nedu2000(m): 8:29am On Apr 10, 2017
eggy:

I practically fell asleep twice while driving as i cldnt even get up to 90km/hr On a brand new hilux (like seriously).
I think this Law shld be reviewed!!! overtaking Tankers and Other heavy duty vehicles was quite a battle. How is one to travel frm lagos to Abuja on less than 90km/hr.. May God Help us for as soon as the highway boiz get to knw; we will all be done for.
I doubt if the FRSC clearly tot this tru or if their own vehicles have it installed.

The funny thing is they do not stop all the rickety commercial buses, danfo, tankers ànd d likes; but will rush to the road when a brand new hilux is comming simply cus my no is commercial.

FRSC has become a profit making organisation as they are quick to issue tickets n fine, This fines which i belive should be remited to coffers of the domiciled Local govment where offence was commited and not into the hands of A federal agency that is fully funded by the FG.

Generating revenue seems to be their biggest intrest just like the VIO... i clearly remember the issue of the reflective stickers(God of Israel let me leavr that for another day).

My advice to any1 is to delay the installation till the very end when a huge chunk of vehicles will have it installed or when the law is repelled.

delay and be amassing fines?FRSC officials are everywhere,even on sundays!
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by nedu2000(m): 8:31am On Apr 10, 2017
Ikwokrikwo:
For a private or commercial vehicle?
if it's a pickup truck or a van,whether it's commercial or private plate number doesn't matter,although 'commercial' was the instruction.I have a private plate
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by inception101(m): 8:57am On Apr 10, 2017
eggy:

do you kno that your brakes will not even function for few seconds wen u try to exceed the speed limit. Thus, reducing your speed back to 40/50km/hr. Honestly its adeath trap wen u have traillers plying your route
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by lonelydora: 9:06am On Apr 10, 2017
It uses a speed control technology called "Governor Control" method. It is commonly seen in Gas turbines and steam turbines used to drive compressors and pumps.
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by Osolo1(m): 9:07am On Apr 10, 2017
FRSC has left their core mandate which is to educate road users,provide quick ambulance services and direct traffic in case of gridlock or accidents,provide road signs etc. They have deliberately created bottlenecks in procurement of driver's licence and now have become revenue generators. Until Nigerians stand against oppressive policies.This people would keep depleting our already lean pockets.
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:05am On Apr 10, 2017
suyisegun:
A Speed limiter is an engine control device which interfaces with the engine control unit (ECU - some people call it brain box) and speedometer of a vehicle to restrict the engine speed once the vehicle reaches a pre-configured speed. A speed limiter may work by reducing the airflow into the vehicle engine, the fuel supply to the engine or adjust the timing of the engine's ignition system to keep the vehicle from exceeding the preset speed limit imposed by the limiter.

Speed limiters are common on many types of vehicles and are usually compulsory devices equipment on trucks and commercial vehicles in some jurisdictions. Different government agencies may enact Laws that require speed limiters for use in commercial vehicles. The main reason for installing speed limiters is that limiting the speed of these type of vehicles may improve highway safety. In the scenario of a passenger car, the reason for speed limiters is generally to prevent the vehicle from exceeding speeds that may affect certain design limitations and improve safety of the vehicle.

The Federal Road Safety Commission in line with a resolution reached with National Automotive Design and Development Council of Nigeria (NADDC), Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON) and other stakeholders has made it mandatory for all vehicles in Nigeria with emphasis on commercial vehicles (buses, trailers, tankers and trucks) to install Speed Limiting Device before a deadline of October 1st, 2016.

FOR ANY CAR WITH AN ECU you dont need to install ant device, any advanced DIAGONOSTIC TOOL MACHINE will set a speed limit we use a SNAPON SOLUS PRO to deactivate vans that were limited by various companies especially from a ROYAKMAIL

like some said the government is milking people by fittinf devices instead of just limit via OBDII
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by eggy(m): 10:29am On Apr 10, 2017
inception101:

do you kno that your brakes will not even function for few seconds wen u try to exceed the speed limit. Thus, reducing your speed back to 40/50km/hr. Honestly its adeath trap wen u have traillers plying your route

Seriously i will never put it on any of my other cars till they get their act right... Just have dis feeling that it can trigger issues with the ECU or fuel pump overtime.

I rarely drive the truck now...i will pay d fine anytime anyday dan risk my life to this guinea pig experiment.
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by philipobiz: 12:03pm On Apr 10, 2017
fadafuqer:
So what's my business? Mynd44 na u put am for FP lemme report to uncle seun angry

FTC on a Monday morning lmao...shower me likes abeg

I swear I was d first to comment...seems dem de bribe mods for ftc
I keep wondering, is there any monetary gain for being the first to comment?
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by rockyh(m): 1:01pm On Apr 10, 2017
nedu2000:
please for how much did you install it on your car
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by nedu2000(m): 1:27pm On Apr 10, 2017
rockyh:
please for how much did you install it on your car
N45,000
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by Olayinkaoj(m): 1:28pm On Apr 10, 2017
FOR SALE

Large consignment from China.
Already in Nigeria.
N25k unit price.
Negotiable for large quantity

Call Olayinka 08054766984 08137413473 (whatsapp)

Current Location: Osogbo. However, distance is no limit.

Sales only please (Excluding Installation)

Cash n Carry
Re: How Does A Speed Limiter Device Work??? by deebsman1(m): 6:37pm On Apr 10, 2017
Good policy no doubt, but how far with implementation so far? This is April 2017.......

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! / Lagos Unveils 2017 Mobile Stickers For Motorists / Difference Between 4 And 6 Cylinder Engines?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.