Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,589 members, 7,801,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? (7774 Views)

Vital Tools You Should Have In Your Car / 10 Things That Can Make Your Car Look More Beautiful / 11 Things FRSC Wants Vehicle Owners To Carry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 11:26am On Apr 10, 2017
If you drive a car 5 years and older, you may have the need to prepare for the inevitable breakdown. Your car should be out of warranty and for this Naija, it will cost an arm and both legs to have your car towed to the workshop. Some problems are worth 2 mins troubleshoot with right tools, why wait for an hour or more for an experienced mechanic or tow truck. The mechanic you may find around may do more harm than good. Besides, a break down on the highway is dangerous these days so you might wanna get back to speed before kidnappers come calling.

For me, driving a 14 year old car, i have some tools to help myself. The picture below shows how prepared i am. These tools are cheap for one to can start buying with N100.

Some are essential while others not so essential.

The list includes
1. Flat wrench 8 - 22 (i suggest buy flat/ring 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 22)
2. Flat/ring spanners 14 and 17 (i lost 10 and 12)
3. Combination of 8, 9, 10 pipe wrench
4. 8 and 10 pipe wrench
5. Socket wrench handle and long extension with 10, 12, 14, 16, 16 long (for spark plug) and 17 socket (i need short extension, you may have to know the size of plugs in your car usually, 14, 16, 17 and 19)
6. Pliers
7. Utility knife
8. Small philips (start) and flat head screwdrivers (i lost the flat)
9. Changeable philips and flat tester screwdriver
10. Screwdriver with 6 changeable flat and phillips heads
11. Vernier caliper
12. Feeler gauge
13. electrical insulating tape
14. old spark plugs (lost 1)
15. old serpentine belt
16. electrical wire strands (make sure you have spares of fuses although there are instances the wire will be necessary)
17. flash light
18. DC charger/usb
19. Cork opener and knife (this has been very useful)
20. 3.5m measuring tape
21. The bag i store most of them

Lets see what tools you got in your.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by nurey(m): 3:12pm On Apr 10, 2017
I dont bother keeping tools in my car as it will eventually get stolen, i only have a tire inflating machine in the car, in my three years of using the sienna, it has never broken down on the road before not even ordinary changing of tire. Maybe that is whats giving me confidence, it wasnt the same for my Nissan sha i carried a lot of tools which were handy in fixing things when it decides to rest on the way

1 Like

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 4:31pm On Apr 10, 2017
nurey:
I dont bother keeping tools in my car as it will eventually get stolen, i only have a tire inflating machine in the car, in my three years of using the sienna, it has never broken down on the road before not even ordinary changing of tire. Maybe that is whats giving me confidence, it wasnt the same for my Nissan sha i carried a lot of tools which were handy in fixing things when it decides to rest on the way

My car broke down twice, a broken fuse and exhausted brake pad. Cooling fan stopped and the car started over heating. Then i didnt know what i know now but i paid an electrician 1k who replaced the fuse in less than a minute. I would same by myself

The break pad finished on me on an 800km journey less than half of the way on a sunday with an office car. Lack of these tools delayed my journey for almost 2 hours even with new pads in the car but had only 17 flat wrench instead of a ring or sucket. The flat only got damaged without success.

In most cases, i assisted people and even mechanics with these tools thats why some of them keep disappearing. For example, my ELM bluetooth scanner has been more helpful to my friends car than mine. Leaving it at home means no help for him.

That wine opener saved 2 weddings from embarrasement. In fact it is the most used tool of the lot.

2 Likes

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 6:55pm On Apr 10, 2017
I got full tool box in my boot, I got all sockets , tox and hex.I take no chances

1 Like

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 6:57pm On Apr 10, 2017
adanny01:
If you drive a car 5 years and older, you may have the need to prepare for the inevitable breakdown. Your car should be out of warranty and for this Naija, it will cost an arm and both legs to have your car towed to the workshop. Some problems are worth 2 mins troubleshoot with right tools, why wait for an hour or more for an experienced mechanic or tow truck. The mechanic you may find around may do more harm than good. Besides, a break down on the highway is dangerous these days so you might wanna get back to speed before kidnappers come calling.

For me, driving a 14 year old car, i have some tools to help myself. The picture below shows how prepared i am. These tools are cheap for one to can start buying with N100.

The list includes
4. 8 and 10 pipe wrench
5. Socket wrench handle and long extension with 10, 12, 14, 16, 16 long (for spark plug) and 17 socket (i need short extension, you may have to know the size of plugs in your car usually, 14, 16, 17 and 19)
6. Pliers
7. Utility knife
11. Vernier caliper
12. Feeler gauge
15. old serpentine belt
16. electrical wire strands (make sure you have spares of fuses although there are instances the wire will be necessary)
17. flash light
18. DC charger/usb
20. 3.5m measuring tape

Y old spark plugs?I do nt see you adding wheel spanner to that list grin grin grin
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 7:07pm On Apr 10, 2017
erico2k2:

Y old spark plugs?I do nt see you adding wheel spanner to that list grin grin grin

I changed my spark plugs not because they stopped working or the car was misbehaving. I changed because my car manual recommended i change it at 100kmiles which i did. So i kept the old in the car. This is the same situation with my serpentine belt though it has dried and cracked up, but incase of emergency it should serve. In fact i buy brake pads before the one in the car wears out. I sometimes buy oil filter too.

Wheel spanner is a standard item in a car. Non of the things i mentioned are standard.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 9:13pm On Apr 10, 2017
adanny01:

I changed my spark plugs not because they stopped working or the car was misbehaving. I changed because my car manual recommended i change it at 100kmiles which i did. So i kept the old in the car. This is the same situation with my serpentine belt though it has dried and cracked up, but incase of emergency it should serve. In fact i buy brake pads before the one in the car wears out. I sometimes buy oil filter too.

Wheel spanner is a standard item in a car. Non of the things i mentioned are standard.
How often do you change ur brake pads?
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:03pm On Apr 10, 2017
adanny01:

My car broke down twice, a broken fuse and exhausted brake pad. Cooling fan stopped and the car started over heating. Then i didnt know what i know now but i paid an electrician 1k who replaced the fuse in less than a minute. I would same by myself

The break pad finished on me on an 800km journey less than half of the way on a sunday with an office car. Lack of these tools delayed my journey for almost 2 hours even with new pads in the car but had only 17 flat wrench instead of a ring or sucket. The flat only got damaged without success.

In most cases, i assisted people and even mechanics with these tools thats why some of them keep disappearing. For example, my ELM bluetooth scanner has been more helpful to my friends car than mine. Leaving it at home means no help for him.

That wine opener saved 2 weddings from embarrasement. In fact it is the most used tool of the lot.

our brakes pads where worn out before the journey, its unfortunate you only findout during the journey unless your car was binding
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Turks: 7:36am On Apr 11, 2017
This one grin

13 Likes

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by ipobarecriminals: 7:38am On Apr 11, 2017
angry trying to buy utc em cos of those worthless beings in wine trousers that hang @ Lekki roundabout
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by henryadex(m): 7:44am On Apr 11, 2017
Number one tool is to take prayer with you that God will guide you to safety then all other things follow

GRADUATION GOWNS FOR SALE AND RENTAL IN ANY QUANTITY CALL 08028370836

1 Like

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by tollytexy(m): 7:46am On Apr 11, 2017
Turks:
This one grin
grin u be Werey

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Exponental(m): 7:46am On Apr 11, 2017
A duplicate of my engineering tools.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:52am On Apr 11, 2017
@ OP, we have the same kind of screwdriver grin grin grin
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by eagleeye2: 7:52am On Apr 11, 2017
adanny01:

The list includes
4. 8 and 10 pipe wrench
6. Pliers
7. Utility knife
11. Vernier caliper
12. Feeler gauge
15. old serpentine belt
17. flash light
18. DC charger/usb
20. 3.5m measuring tape

I have some of these, but each time I visit the mechanic and come back, I find myself looking for one or more of my tools. I'm tired of replacing the stolen ones.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by coalcoal1(m): 7:56am On Apr 11, 2017
none
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by divinelove(m): 7:58am On Apr 11, 2017
Yawns
I ve a couple of tools in my jalopy but nt dt much sha
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by maestroz: 8:02am On Apr 11, 2017
The poster below me is lying, he doesn't have a car.

2 Likes

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Lakebeyin(m): 8:04am On Apr 11, 2017
SCREW DRIVER, CONDON, MINI BED, BOTTLE WATER, TISSUE PAPER,
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 11, 2017
Springfield EMP4 1911 and my Bible!!!

1 Like

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Pdizzle(m): 8:09am On Apr 11, 2017
Just a pump action.

1 Like

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by justpeehay(m): 8:11am On Apr 11, 2017
My parcel of mariwana
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Lusola15: 8:12am On Apr 11, 2017
10 and 12 spanner
Black screwdriver star and flat head
Plier

That's all grin
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by ibkgab001: 8:13am On Apr 11, 2017
Thos
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by stephenponti(m): 8:44am On Apr 11, 2017
All the tools that can Disemble and Assemble my car is in my car so now you know!
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Nicepoker(m): 8:52am On Apr 11, 2017
calipers for what?
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by lonelydora: 8:54am On Apr 11, 2017
Set of spanners, screw driver and pliers. I always have serpentine belt and a set of bow joints, even though it hasn't disappointed me.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Nobody: 9:15am On Apr 11, 2017
@OP...You made valid points, but where you mentioned that if your car is 5 years and above.. Na na na... Even if you are driving a 2017 vehicle , and it can also decide to rest and waste some hours of your time on the road. Every driver should carry the tools in his car irrespective of the year or model of car...
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 9:48am On Apr 11, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

our brakes pads where worn out before the journey, its unfortunate you only findout during the journey unless your car was binding

A worn brake pad is different to a worn out brake pad. A worn brake pad is not critical but a wornout break pad will damage the rotors.

Without checking for the level of pads, i was aware that soon, i may need new pads. The reason for me buying new pads but didnt install hoping what i have will take me there. I dont like breaking into new pads on a journey. Its risky and can damage rotors due to over heating. Bottom line is it didnt so i had to change on the journey.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 9:54am On Apr 11, 2017
Nicepoker:
calipers for what?

Got that one for free from my Physics teacher wife, i never took it out of the car since then.

Used it to check and purchase a used crankshaft for a friends engine.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 9:57am On Apr 11, 2017
henryadex:
Number one tool is to take prayer with you that God will guide you to safety then all other things follow

GRADUATION GOWNS FOR SALE AND RENTAL IN ANY QUANTITY CALL 08028370836

Prayer is good to protect against evil plans but wont stop your brake pads from wearing out or stop your car from breaking down. In fact it wont reduce the speed you decide to travel.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Buy My First Car, I Need Sincere Advice / The Honda Crosstour Is Dead - And No True Car Guy Will Miss It! / Mercedes-benz Vs Bmw Vs Audi [ IMAGE ]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.