Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,032 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:46 AM

Customs' Duty Suspension - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Customs' Duty Suspension (4886 Views)

How To Calculate Customs Duty Charge In Nigeria. / How To Confirm If Your Customs Duty Is Correct From Their Website / How Much Will The Customs Duty On This Car Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Soladoyeayodeji(m): 5:43pm On Apr 12, 2017
To the best of my knowledge a car bought brand new in Nigeria does not need a custom paper. The company with the franchise has paid all necessary money and that's why you will see their sticker at the back of any vehicle purchased from them. But if you are bringing in a brand new car yourself you will have to pay all necessary duties on the vehicle.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by davit: 6:49pm On Apr 12, 2017
OlugbengaE:

They've made alot of money already they dont vare about you but I can assure you the will stop you o your way back to Lagos and you will pay 650k but please ask for discount.

Lol. You spoke as if you are one of them. No be my car type dem dey look for on the road!
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 12, 2017
davit:

You are likely right about the years. I eventually travelled today with the car knowing full well that the said duty paper is not in their database. I met customs guys at different locations on the road. Guess what, none of them stopped my car. Those at Ibadan looked very serious and ready for any show. Even the police there didn't stop me. same at before getting to IFE. But I observed that some of the cars they stopped are still looking sharp and clean. They must be newly registered. I'm the 4th user of my car!

Last year on way to Owerri they stopped me at Benin by pass. I was driving a 2005 Honda Accord that was imported in 2011. They asked for custom papers I told them I don't have it that the car has been on the country for more than 5 yrs. The dude asked me if I was trying to teach him his job? I had to calm down and told him I left the papers in Lagos since I thought it was no longer necessary to carry it since the car was already old. (I had the papers in the car but not sure whether it was genuine or not so I tried as much as possible to avoid having to show them ). After some chats he asked me to go and I was relieved, didn't pay a dime.

1 Like

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by iboboyswag(m): 7:22pm On Apr 14, 2017
OlugbengaE:

They've made alot of money already they dont vare about you but I can assure you the will stop you o your way back to Lagos and you will pay 650k but please ask for discount.

The said discount would have applied if the policy and the grace period were allowed to go on....... this was where the policy favoured the masses but due to sustained misinformation and the knack of any government policy being suspect in the eyes of the people, the real crooks took advantage of the outcry and forced a stop to the policy.

The policy would have seen almost every road user having valid paid custom duty and put an end to the harassment and bribery associated with being caught unawares. It also allowed for a waiver of 60% to lessen the burden of doing right. There is massive corruption in the Nigeria customs service and putting in place systems that would curb it in the area of vehicle importation was what the CG Customs was trying to do, mind you the beneficiaries of this corruption (customs officers) wanted the status quo ante to remain and only a systematic use of technology would have helped in this case.

Government is also looking to integrate the proviso of a valid customs duty as a requirement for renewing and getting all vehicle documents and particulars. This will help in sustaining the fight against corruption.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Nobody: 8:06pm On Apr 14, 2017
Called the number in respect of my mdx acura 010.was told the duty was genuine
And that the 230k paid was not too small because duty was paid on 197naira a dollar.
The possibility of being to comfirm using that number actually helps
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by abidemidare: 11:04pm On Apr 14, 2017
Mine are accord 2010 and MDX 2005, I bought them naija used without custom papers. Please advise me on what to do?
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by iboboyswag(m): 12:49am On Apr 15, 2017
abidemidare:
Mine are accord 2010 and MDX 2005, I bought them naija used without custom papers. Please advise me on what to do?

I would advice you make payment of duty for them..... to avoid stories that touch. Now that it has not been impounded we can help you work something out, if interested you can contact me...phone nos on signature.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 7:09am On Apr 15, 2017
adeolaademuluyi:
What happens if the vehicle was actually in customs database but duty was underpaid?

It depends on the year the duty was paid. If it was paid within the last two years, a D. N can be raised. What happens is that the actual amount you're supposed to pay is checked and the initial amount you paid will be deducted of your papers are genuine, then you pay the balance.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 7:11am On Apr 15, 2017
nija80:
Called the number in respect of my mdx acura 010.was told the duty was genuine
And that the 230k paid was not too small because duty was paid on 197naira a dollar.
The possibility of being to comfirm using that number actually helps

If you want me to be sincere with you sir and you'll want to listen to n experienced agent, N230,000 is way too small even at N197 - 1$,your mdx was valued as 2003 mdx, which is outrageous.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 7:14am On Apr 15, 2017
abidemidare:

It can be done at a discount, call me on 08062948193. This is a sample of a Crv I just processed last week after the owner had abandoned it for months inside Cotonou. With original duty certificate.

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 7:17am On Apr 15, 2017
abidemidare:

It can be done at a discount, call me on 08062948193. This is a sample of a Crv I just processed last week after the owner had abandoned it for months inside Cotonou. With original duty certificate...

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 7:26am On Apr 15, 2017
OlugbengaE:

This is what happened. Normally if you had discovered your car had no duty and opted to pay. They will calculate you duty which is that 600k then give you a 60% rebate or discount you will pay around 250k. So instead of giving you the 60% discount they gave themselves the discount. Next time ask for discount. But on a good day the duty on 07 camry is not up to 600k.

Technically, customs will still turn you around on the rebate thing unless they know about valuation or have worked with a valuation unit. Been a custom officer doesn't mean that you must know how to calculate values, the best option you would've done was to ask for their valuation and legal department,talk to them and let them raise your D. N for you. Or get an experienced agent to represent you. Ordinarily, you'll have spent up to N600,000 - N650,000 if your car came in through the port and it wasn't undervalued.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 7:27am On Apr 15, 2017
saintjoel:

Technically, customs will still turn you around on the rebate thing unless they know about valuation or have worked with a valuation unit. Been a custom officer doesn't mean that you must know how to calculate values, the best option you would've done was to ask for their valuation and legal department,talk to them and let them raise your D. N for you. Or you can get an experienced agent to represent you. Ordinarily, you'll have spent up to N600,000 - N650,000 if your car came in through the port and it wasn't undervalued.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 7:37am On Apr 15, 2017
Itulah:

You may proceed if you have close to 600-700k to bail yourself and pay for new Duty.
17th of last month, I took my two weeks old newly registered Camry 2007 Muscle from Zaria to Lagos, the journey was sweet and smooth, two days later, while making a return from Lagos, I decided to travel through Benin Edo state so I can buy those fresh oil and garri at Ewu junction, it was at Ondo-Ore road that those merciless lawless Custom dude nabbed my ride, drove me and the vehicle from that Lagos highway to their office in Akure. I had to pass the night in Akure cause it was Sunday. The following day, Monday, guess how much I was billed? N600k, penalty and Duty Certificate. Actual duty is 250k only God knows where the rest of the money went to.

What they only wrote was what we call a "surface duty".The remaining calculation of how the money was spent is actually written in your d.n copy. If you had contacted an AGENT to represent you, he/she would've have pushed for the total duty to be written on the duty certificate. But you're in luck, with this D.N copy, no officer can stop you again cos it's raised just once according to constitution even if you underpaid. We sometimes do it for fresh entries, we first underpay them raise a D. N to boost the payment, no officer will even bother to disturb you, they'll only ask for "officer on duty".
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 7:39am On Apr 15, 2017
stlken:

i av lost the custom paper, can I confirm with my car VIN ?

The system is configured to recognise your c number and it brings out your details.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 10:17am On Apr 15, 2017
saintjoel:

Technically, customs will still turn you around on the rebate thing unless they know about valuation or have worked with a valuation unit. Been a custom officer doesn't mean that you must know how to calculate values, the best option you would've done was to ask for their valuation and legal department,talk to them and let them raise your D. N for you. Or get an experienced agent to represent you. Ordinarily, you'll have spent up to N600,000 - N650,000 if your car came in through the port and it wasn't undervalued.

Exactly but the N650,000 would be the total money including port charges and not just customs duty.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by SmartchoicesNG: 10:19am On Apr 15, 2017
saintjoel:

The system is configured to recognise your c number and it brings out your details.
They should be able to use vin
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 11:32am On Apr 15, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

They should be able to use vin

Imagine when you mistakenly scratch out two OR three digits of a recharge pin and you call the customer care helpline, what they ask for is the serial number, technically that's how the c number works.

Customs use the last six digits of your vin for entries, what differentiates your last six digits from any other last six digits is the c number, what differentiates YOIR port of entry from another is the command code and c number. Please note that c number is not used for vehicles alone, it's also used for general goods known as ETLS. Once your entry is captured, a c number is automatically allocated and it can't be used by any other entry again.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by SmartchoicesNG: 12:01pm On Apr 15, 2017
saintjoel:

Imagine when you mistakenly scratch out two OR three digits of a recharge pin and you call the customer care helpline, what they ask for is the serial number, technically that's how the c number works.

Customs use the last six digits of your vin for entries, what differentiates your last six digits from any other last six digits is the c number, what differentiates YOIR port of entry from another is the command code and c number. Please note that c number is not used for vehicles alone, it's also used for general goods known as ETLS. Once your entry is captured, a c number is automatically allocated and it can't be used by any other entry again.
Ok... But no two vin numbers ​are exactly the same
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 12:07pm On Apr 15, 2017
saintjoel:

Its called Vehicle Identification Number. That should be the only thing used to process everything.

From the way you talk the process is not transparent and has many loopholes.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 12:14pm On Apr 15, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Ok... But no two vin numbers ​are exactly the same

Unfortunately in a scenario where the last six digits are used,two or more vehicles can have the same last six digits. If it's the complete seventeen digits, they can never be the same but with the last six digits, several vehicles can have the same.

JHLRD 78803C800305 - 2003 CRV

Jhlrd78805c800305 - 2005 CRV.

In the vins above, if the last six digits are used, how do they differantiate 03 from 05.

The use of the complete vin just started with vehicles coming in this year and it has not been fully enforced.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 12:22pm On Apr 15, 2017
OlugbengaE:

Its called Vehicle Identification Number. That should be the only thing used to process everything.

From the way you talk the process is not transparent and has many loopholes.

I hope you didnt miss the part where I stated that c number isn't used for vehicles alone. It's also used for ETLS. If I've a cargo of cocoa coming coming into the country and another importer has the same quantity of cocoa, how will customs differentiate each shipment without the use of a c number. The introduction of a c number has made shipment easier than ever with blood holes whatsoever, the only thing you can do is under-value or outside exit and immediately your c number is punched into the system, your atrocities will be shown on the screen.

It's called a "customs reference number " but shortened to c number.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 4:31pm On Apr 15, 2017
saintjoel:

I hope you didnt miss the part where I stated that c number isn't used for vehicles alone. It's also used for ETLS. If I've a cargo of cocoa coming coming into the country and another importer has the same quantity of cocoa, how will customs differentiate each shipment without the use of a c number. The introduction of a c number has made shipment easier than ever with blood holes whatsoever, the only thing you can do is under-value or outside exit and immediately your c number is punched into the system, your atrocities will be shown on the screen.

It's called a "customs reference number " but shortened to c number.

Others countries use VIN Nigeria should use VIN
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 4:36pm On Apr 15, 2017
saintjoel:

Unfortunately in a scenario where the last six digits are used,two or more vehicles can have the same last six digits. If it's the complete seventeen digits, they can never be the same but with the last six digits, several vehicles can have the same.

JHLRD 78803C800305 - 2003 CRV

Jhlrd78805c800305 - 2005 CRV.

In the vins above, if the last six digits are used, how do they differantiate 03 from 05.

The use of the complete vin just started with vehicles coming in this year and it has not been fully enforced.

Yes the last 6 is used. The chasis or VIN number is used while verifying the identity of a car. If the current method involve the last 6 let them develop a new system that use the full VIN number.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Lexit: 3:13pm On Apr 18, 2017
I have travelled with the car and back without any issue on the road. I saw customs officer on the road but none of them stopped me. I believe they are after newly registered car just as pointed out here.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by nurey(m): 3:16pm On Apr 18, 2017
Lexit:
I have travelled with the car and back without any issue on the road. I saw customs officer on the road but none of them stopped me. I believe they are after newly registered car just as pointed out here.

welcome back, hope the joueney wasnt too stressful. Are you waiting for me to start asking for what you brought personally for me? Do your civic duty by sending me my package. cool

1 Like

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 4:06pm On Apr 18, 2017
nurey:

welcome back, hope the joueney wasnt too stressful. Are you waiting for me to start asking for what you brought personally for me? Do your civic duty by sending me my package. cool

And please note that I've also been fasting and praying too. My account number is readily available.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 10:07am On Apr 19, 2017
Jok
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Lexit: 5:47pm On Apr 19, 2017
nurey:

lool grin grin

Thanks jareh.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Lexit: 5:48pm On Apr 19, 2017
saintjoel:

And please note that I've also been fasting and praying too. My account number is readily available.

lool grin cheesy wink
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by saintjoel(m): 11:59pm On Apr 19, 2017
We at Jelad ventures will like to dissociate ourselves from a racket going on right now by some fraudulent agents and it involves the "Tincan duty for Cotonou vehicles".

There are just three accredited commands right now that you can pay duty through and they are listed as follows -

1. CUSTOMS COMMAND, HARVEY ROAD,YABA.

2. FEDERAL OPS UNIT, HERBERT MACAULAY WAY, IKEJA.

3. CUSTOMS COMMAND, KWARA.

Some gullible Nigerians are currently falling for the cheap scam of "TINCAN duty for Cotonou vehicles " and we keep asking how they even think it's feasible when tincan is a port and not a land border. How can you collect documents from your agent without verifying if they're authentic or not and you just put your vehicles on the road. What they're doing is also what is going on at idiroko border, they're swapping chassis/vins of original captured data and they come up with "outside exits" which is more or less like a fake document.

Kindly stop calling to make inquiries about "TINCAN duty for Cotonou cars" . Jelad ventures doesn't partake in illegalities. If you already have one, kindly run checks on the c number and you'll see how you've all fallen for the cheap scam.

Signed

Management
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 7:24am On Apr 20, 2017
In a sane country govt would have done a covert operation and weed out all the custom officers involved in tincan for cotonou. But there are bigger corruption going on and govt can not disturb itself with this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What is wrong With Toyota Venza? / .... The Power Of Mobil 1 Extended Performance After 12k miles oil change / Innoson: Do Not Change Your Logo Or Accept Any Logo Proposal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.