Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,904 members, 7,802,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide (27388 Views)

Cipriano Cassamá Resigns As President Of Guinea Bissau After One Day In Office / Nude Photos: Katie Hill Resigns. Had An Affair With Male & Female Staff / Jacob Zuma Resigns As South African President! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Abbeyme: 10:18am On Apr 11, 2017
Alabama Governor Robert Bentley resigned on Monday after pleading guilty to two campaign misdemeanours amid allegations that he misused public resources to pursue an affair with a former aide.

He was also accused of intimidating officials in an attempt to cover it up.

Public allegations of an affair between Bentley and former senior political adviser Rebekah Caldwell Mason did not break out until March 2016, according to reports.

“I have decided it is time for me to step down as Alabama’s governor,” Bentley, a Republican who faced mounting criticism from his own party, said at the state Capitol shortly after he was booked into the Montgomery County Jail and released.

Shortly afterwards, Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey, a former state treasurer, was sworn in as Alabama’s 54th governor, vowing that her administration “will be open, transparent, and it will be honest”.

As part of a plea deal, Bentley agreed to perform 100 hours of community service and repay his campaign fund 8,912 dollars. He also forfeited the $36, 000 in the campaign account.

In turn, the state Attorney-General’s office will not pursue felonies against him.

Bentley, 74, had faced an impeachment move from his Republican legislators. He apologised to the citizens of the state.

“I’ve always believed the honour of serving as your governor was a calling that God placed on my life.

“Though I have committed myself to working to improve the lives of the people of our state, there have been times that I have let you and our people down, and I’m sorry for that”.

Speculation about the governor’s inappropriate behaviour began in August 2015, when Bentley’s wife of 50 years, Dianne, abruptly filed for divorce, stating in court records that their marriage had suffered an “irretrievable breakdown”.

Speculations became rife after Bentley fired the state’s top law enforcement official, Spencer Collier, saying that an internal investigation at the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency uncovered possible wrongdoing.

Within hours, Collier spoke out against the governor, alleging that he had seen and investigated sexual text messages and audio recordings between Bentley and Mason.

“When I stand behind you, and I put my arms around you, and I put my hands on your breasts and just pull you real close. I love that too,” Bentley said in one audio recording.

“If we’re going to do what we did the other day, we’re going to have to start locking the door,” he was also heard saying.

According to reports, Bentley made little effort to hide his relationship with Mason while at one point, he mistakenly sent a text message saying, “I love you Rebekah”, to his then-wife, Dianne.

Dianne also secretly recorded her husband speaking to Mason, reports said.

Bentley, a state representative and dermatologist, was elected governor in 2010 and re-elected in 2014.

http://omojuwa.com/2017/04/alabama-governor-robert-bentley-resigns-affair-aide/

We all know that this can not yet happen in our present day Nigeria

grin grin sad angry

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by AntiWailer: 10:33am On Apr 11, 2017
No be naija

They will die there.

119 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Heavance(m): 10:48am On Apr 11, 2017
Definitely not in Nigeria, they will even tell you its just an affair.

64 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Abbeyme: 10:59am On Apr 11, 2017
Lalasticlala. Can you please guess what State this is?

1 Like

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Abbeyme: 11:27am On Apr 11, 2017
Mynd44...

This guy can retell a story ehn

Nice one
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by adorablepepple(f): 12:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
One characteristic leaders should have, is the ability to accept mistakes and apologize. This man up there is a good leader. Unlike those people who keep justifying their wrongs all because they have power and the gullible followers they have.

Nigeria politicians and fake pastors be like undecided

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by TruthNigeria(m): 12:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
Kudos
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by WebSurfer(m): 12:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
If it was in Nigeria...

Sorry for you..

Resign for what ? Them never fit resign over corruption cases finish na Affair

7 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Turks: 12:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
I'll lay an Ostrich egg if any Nigerian governor resigns over such. grin

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by CheezyCharles(m): 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
he doesn't have a strong heart! Apostle Suleiman should school him!

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by TosineGuy(m): 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
God bless America. These are men of integrity. Not men that are just in post cos of the money. I am sure nigerian senators won't resign even if na rape case. How will naija move forward wit corrupt, selfish leaders?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by MrGreenMavro: 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
If na Nigeria Politician he go deny am, he will not resign, even if them play d clip of him and d babe, he go deny m, if possible self, dem fit assasinate d gal angry angry angry

8 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Jengem: 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
Can amaechi or fashola ever resign

Even after all their sexcapades

4 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Tokziby: 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
"Within hours, Collier spoke out against the governor, alleging that he had seen and investigated sexual text messages and audio recordings between Bentley and Mason"

In Nigeria, people will say it is photoshopped and the audio recording is fake.

Ordinary text message and audio recording someone resigned. By now in Naija DSS for don lock up some people in Kuje awaiting trials.

Yet we are still wondering why we are backward in this country...SMH

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Millz404(m): 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
Hh
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
It was not even a billion/million dollar alledged corruption... but he took a bow and gave way when the ovation is high....

I dont even know what is wrong with this country.. other people are moving forward... what useless leaders are we caused with?....

angry angry

13 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by kingthreat(m): 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
If it was a gay affair, LGBT world will come and campaign against sexual discrimination.
The West and hypocrisy are like 5 & 6

9 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
Not in naija, it is this time that you'll get to know he's "powerful". SMH
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by olapluto(m): 12:24pm On Apr 11, 2017
Apostle Suleiman still dey form marine here in Nigeria. His sheep see no wrong in a pastor having an affair.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by omanifrank(m): 12:24pm On Apr 11, 2017
oh
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Nobody: 12:24pm On Apr 11, 2017
Aponsulu sulaiwoman cannot

5 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by donprinyo(m): 12:24pm On Apr 11, 2017
He pleaded guilty. I guess there is a very strong evidence connecting him to the crime.

1 Like

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by BrainCONCEPTZ(m): 12:24pm On Apr 11, 2017
More as been said about Nigeria politician, yet they won't leave the post...... Smh for APC and PDP
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by admax(m): 12:24pm On Apr 11, 2017
Before you guys start yabbing Nigerian leaders remember President Bill Clinton of the same United States slept with his aide Ms. Monica Lewinsky few years ago!

He admitted to the affair and didn't resign neither was he impeached, so please chill

5 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by yinkakani(m): 12:24pm On Apr 11, 2017
Bill Clinton reincarnated!!! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by jeff1607(m): 12:25pm On Apr 11, 2017
Abeg do come Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Millz404(m): 12:25pm On Apr 11, 2017
If you like bring pictures, videos, live stream etc... Nigerian politicians will say its photoshop and videoshop and work of detractors to prevent him from carrying out his God given mandate.... Lol

5 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by hayjayb: 12:25pm On Apr 11, 2017
Can't happen in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by blaise00700(m): 12:25pm On Apr 11, 2017
This OLD man still dey sqoro shocked

3 Likes

Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Endtimesmith(m): 12:25pm On Apr 11, 2017
See better country,where self integrity counts ...
Re: Robert Bentley Resigns As Alabama Governor Over Illicit Affair With Female Aide by Nobody: 12:25pm On Apr 11, 2017
Pictures or some of us dont belivit cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Poland's Prime Minister, Czech Republic And Slovenia Leaders Arrive In Ukraine / Huge Explosion Hits Bogoso, Ghana. Scores Feared Dead / Second Kabul Airport Attack Likely In 24-36 Hours - President Biden

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.