Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,825 members, 7,802,630 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

ATM Scam: The New Method - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / ATM Scam: The New Method (77181 Views)

ATM Scam Caught On Camera, Goes Viral (photos) / Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? / New ATM Scam Alert Fraudsters Use And Can Put You In Serious Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by MrGreenMavro: 4:36pm On Apr 11, 2017
angry
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Memyselfu2009(m): 4:36pm On Apr 11, 2017
sorry bro i hope u didnt put you bank details online

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Nobody: 4:36pm On Apr 11, 2017
sorry bro
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by chibboy: 4:36pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:
Greetings everyone. I feel so bad , sad and traumatised right now because of how someone just decided to wake up one day and do evil to me. My essence of writing this is to use Nairaland as a means of educating more people on the dangers you may face when your ATM card has been compromised.

Yesterday after finishing up work for the day i did my usual closing time ritual; i shut my system down, switched off the AC and the sockets then started my journey and this was already 6-01pm. When i reached Chevron round about at exactly 6-37pm I heard the usual notification tone on my phone that i had received a message. I ignored after 2 mins i heard another then i removed the phone from my pocket and checked lo and behold what did i see?N20k debit alert from GTB twice.

I was like WHAT!!! when did i initiate these transactions and while still looking at the messages surprised another N20k debit alert came in after a few seconds yet another N20k totalling N80,000 naira. Like a man possessed I quickly Hotlisted my Account by sending an sms with the Hotlist format and after that i received a message that my Account has been hotlisted from GTB but it was already too late. The balance left after the N80k taken was just N7k.

My people , the feeling of seeing your money leaving your account in ral time is a very crazy experience I felt so helpless. Anyways I have gone to a GTB Branch and complained but they are telling me it can take a week to 3 months for investigations to be concluded. Me i want my money refunded and i dont even get why it has to take so long (45 days max) to resolve that issue. Thank God i have 2 other accounts but this has got me thinking that our banks need to protect s their clients more.

The thief used a POS/Web transfer channel to remove the money why?because he knows if he uses an ATM his face will be captured by CCTV or the camera on the machine meaning No be today him de do this kain thing.

tthere should be some sort of way to prevent unauthorised transfers honestly. Either when you want to pay with a POS machine a message shoud be sent to you requesting authorization before payment can be done on a POS machine. How this thief bypassed OTP authorization to remove money from my account beats my imagination.

Please be careful everyone.

From a pained member. embarassed only what is inside youvcan kill u.. the thief inside.. the ... bank..

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by sod09(m): 4:37pm On Apr 11, 2017
aw can. he bypass otp
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by RichThug(m): 4:37pm On Apr 11, 2017
c
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by rheether(f): 4:37pm On Apr 11, 2017
Jabioro:
Eyaah!!! sorry.. try and see to the end of that transaction.. I felt your pains..

It's impossible.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by almsofgold: 4:39pm On Apr 11, 2017
you may be lucky the merchant has CCTV, which will help the bank resolve the crime. best of luck
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by ProfyJay(m): 4:39pm On Apr 11, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
What about ur Gfriend?the thief use ATM to Withdraw ur 80k not pos.Most bank cctv are just decoration/antique

They aren't decoration . I've actually conducted an investigation on my account wrongly debited and was shown the face of the person that made the withdrawals

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by AngelicBeing: 4:39pm On Apr 11, 2017
sad
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 11, 2017
PapaNnamdi:
Shwuuu, person still get 87k for account for dis kain economy? Well sha, d thief will help u chop d money, easter go sweet, sorry op, God knows best
Na so Nigeria bad reach ni? grin

To the OP, your money is probably being used in North Korea to fund Kim Jong-Un's nuclear projects. Ensure GTB pays every Tinker's dime, No be today. Your case isn't the first and won't be the last, GTB are very fraudulent.

8 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 11, 2017
rheether:

It's a pity. That money is so insignificant for the bank to go through the worries of recovering it for you. Move on and be smarter.

What's this one saying?
80k?
it's not up to half of what I earn but I don't joke with a dime. The money he worked for?

9 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Day11(m): 4:40pm On Apr 11, 2017
rheether:

It's a pity. That money is so insignificant for the bank to go through the worries of recovering it for you. Move on and be smarter.

See talk

4 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by papauju(m): 4:40pm On Apr 11, 2017
That mean your bank secret code is very easy to break, or they ask you to reset your BVN and password your did and they steal your information

2 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Efewestern: 4:41pm On Apr 11, 2017
When there are no more white clients to scam they start scamming There fellow country man.

I still see no reason why someone will no want to work but wants to live large.

op truly sorry about this, and I hope they return your money back.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Idango(m): 4:42pm On Apr 11, 2017
What exactly happened op. Was your card stolen? This may be someone who is close to you.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by rheether(f): 4:43pm On Apr 11, 2017
gwine0047:

What's this one saying?
80k?
it's not up to half of what I earn but I don't joke with a dime. The money he worked for?

It's not about you. It's about the bank for God sake. They won't even believe he wasn't the one who made the transactions.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by dingbang(m): 4:47pm On Apr 11, 2017
I can't find any scam in there.. Admit you were careless in revealing your details to somebody.. You must have given someone ur pin in the past..

For the record, I still know my former boss's atm card pin since she always gave me to withdraw money for her . although I am not working for her anymore..

So.. Now tell me . if I were smart back den, all I simply would have done was to copy out her ATM card number and _cvv number.. .. Voila. .

Efenized grin

6 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by jamislaw(m): 4:47pm On Apr 11, 2017
For these recession?

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by daretodo(m): 4:47pm On Apr 11, 2017
Good day,

With the type of of narration you received for the transaction; such transaction is incomplete without the person using an account as to perfect it.

What you need to do:

- Write a mail/memo/or letter of complaint to your bank to help you with the aid of their POS dispute settlement office to assist in getting the banks detail of the beneficiary that the money was moved to. Then,

- Upon having that; Police will then serve as an interface between you and the other beneficiary Bank in getting the person nabbed for advance free fraud.

What to do to avert this next time:

-Do not share your ATM with third party; even without pin this type of transaction will fly successfully once they have access to PAN number.

- Guide your account number gently: When you go to bank to deposit money learn to mask your account number. e.g 110***8825 on banks register cos guys do goes there to peep customer details.

- In case you use internet/mobile banking; made it an habit to change your password at interval.

4 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by yinkslinks(m): 4:48pm On Apr 11, 2017
Gtbank always have this problem. I feel gtbank bankers are criminals.
slex:
Greetings everyone. I feel so bad , sad and traumatised right now because of how someone just decided to wake up one day and do evil to me. My essence of writing this is to use Nairaland as a means of educating more people on the dangers you may face when your ATM card has been compromised.

Yesterday after finishing up work for the day i did my usual closing time ritual; i shut my system down, switched off the AC and the sockets then started my journey and this was already 6-01pm. When i reached Chevron round about at exactly 6-37pm I heard the usual notification tone on my phone that i had received a message. I ignored after 2 mins i heard another then i removed the phone from my pocket and checked lo and behold what did i see?N20k debit alert from GTB twice.

I was like WHAT!!! when did i initiate these transactions and while still looking at the messages surprised another N20k debit alert came in after a few seconds yet another N20k totalling N80,000 naira. Like a man possessed I quickly Hotlisted my Account by sending an sms with the Hotlist format and after that i received a message that my Account has been hotlisted from GTB but it was already too late. The balance left after the N80k taken was just N7k.

My people , the feeling of seeing your money leaving your account in ral time is a very crazy experience I felt so helpless. Anyways I have gone to a GTB Branch and complained but they are telling me it can take a week to 3 months for investigations to be concluded. Me i want my money refunded and i dont even get why it has to take so long (45 days max) to resolve that issue. Thank God i have 2 other accounts but this has got me thinking that our banks need to protect s their clients more.

The thief used a POS/Web transfer channel to remove the money why?because he knows if he uses an ATM his face will be captured by CCTV or the camera on the machine meaning No be today him de do this kain thing.

tthere should be some sort of way to prevent unauthorised transfers honestly. Either when you want to pay with a POS machine a message shoud be sent to you requesting authorization before payment can be done on a POS machine. How this thief bypassed OTP authorization to remove money from my account beats my imagination.

From a pained member. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by funsho03(m): 4:49pm On Apr 11, 2017
Guy, send a mail to them copy CBN and EFCC and wait for what will happen.

3 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Lowoa: 4:49pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:

Sorry about that. Just lodge a complaint at the fraud desk of GTB. The account he wired to will be traced and the criminal will be brought to book. #ThankGodForBVN.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Adebendel: 4:51pm On Apr 11, 2017
I have been a victim before GTB did not refund the money.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 11, 2017
rheether:

It's not about you. It's about the bank for God sake. They won't even believe he wasn't the one who made the transactions.

I understood what you meant. But what happens when he doesn't try? what happens when the same thing takes place in future? I really want him to move on but he's not done at this junction.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by IVORY2009(m): 4:53pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:
@pyyxaro on the contrary I wasnt following BBN AT ALL.

@rheether well, from what i gathered my account was used to buy stuffs online from a merchant so yes it would go into the account from the merchant but the criminal would have taken the items paid for USIng my money already so the bank is trying to see if they can get a mailing address from the place in which items were bought. I just dont get why it has to take up to a week not to mention 45 Working days if necessary? Really down right now.

In that case, yahoo boys use drop to kick-up items shipped online!

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Godmother(f): 4:53pm On Apr 11, 2017
rheether:

80k is insignificant ? Seriously? Abeg my brother dash me an over insignificant 20k.

@Topic

Even if it was 1k that was removed from your account, its the bank's responsibility to get to the root of the matter.

3 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by hedonistic: 4:53pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:
@pyyxaro on the contrary I wasnt following BBN AT ALL.

@rheether well, from what i gathered my account was used to buy stuffs online from a merchant so yes it would go into the account from the merchant but the criminal would have taken the items paid for USIng my money already so the bank is trying to see if they can get a mailing address from the place in which items were bought. I just dont get why it has to take up to a week not to mention 45 Working days if necessary? Really down right now.

I don't understand. How did the thief get access to your bank card information - including your pin code and all that?
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Koolking(m): 4:54pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:

I don't understand why it would take a bank weeks to investigate a rather simple thievery. The urgent thing was for them to trace the account your money was deposited. The money left your account to someone's account. It didn't just leave your account and disappeared. What are BVN records for?

Some of these unwarranted debits from customers' account are bank insiders' job, hence the lackadaisical attitude of banks to investigate and nab the culprits. They steal to make up for the shortfall they have. It's totally not cool in this time and season and not any other season.

Methinks, the reduction in chequing transactions where banks staff would deposit a cheque in a random customer's account, call the customer later and request for cash refund feigning he made wrong deposit, has hit them big time. They now resort to stuffing ATMs with part counterfeit N1000 notes and POS-based thievery. So many sharp practices by Nigerian banks because the Apex bank doesn't care.

CBN has to investigate banks and protect Nigerians from broad day light robbery by banks. Come to think of it, you are paying all manner of settlement charges for banks using your money to make profit, yet they want more.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by midastouch: 4:55pm On Apr 11, 2017
DONSMITH123:
Op, you must disclose your card details to someone.

Not necessarily. My colleague bought PHCN recharge from one of the online recharge selling websites, and within 20 minutes, her Card details were used online elsewhere for 3 different transactions on websites different from the original website. A lot of criminals are getting better at this stuff.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Odunharry(m): 4:57pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:

Zenith Bank send u an alert immediately you log on to any of their e-channel(mobile and internet banking ) to make any transaction.

Some people are very smart though, but there are things you can do to make sure your account is secure and safe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Handsomebeing(m): 4:58pm On Apr 11, 2017
FYI I have stopped using my quickteller because it doesn't request for OTP anymore. I've blocked all online channel to that particular account. I can't shout.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Police Threatens "Blind" Beggar With Tear Gas, See What Happened Next. Photos / Prisons ‘Pamper’ Chidinma Ojukwu With Special Car Ride / 80-Year-Old Saudi Man Marries 12-Year-Old Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.