Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,797 members, 7,798,691 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

ATM Scam: The New Method - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / ATM Scam: The New Method (77160 Views)

ATM Scam Caught On Camera, Goes Viral (photos) / Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? / New ATM Scam Alert Fraudsters Use And Can Put You In Serious Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by iyaegin: 9:45pm On Apr 11, 2017
Handsomebeing:
FYI I have stopped using my quickteller because it doesn't request for OTP anymore. I've blocked all online channel to that particular account. I can't shout.

Please receive wisdom.transactions not requiring OTP are those which you have done more than twice to the same beneficiary so for ease of payments you dont need to get OTP again its like transferring to an already existing beneficiary.why are some people so dull and don't read like this same way the original OP too said new type of scam and i did not see anything new in his experience rather i see someone who compromised his details at some point and now his card is being used for an online transaction.lemme ask pls how does your GT card get used for a web transaction that bypasses your token.oga your story get comma no be small.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Hacked: 9:49pm On Apr 11, 2017
metrosexual:

Dude, did anyone state that any system is safe? So that point is inconsequential here!

And also, I'm still trying to comprehend the rational behind your rebuttal concerning hard token devices, its just like saying: "Any Tom, Dick and Harry with basic car alarm wiring know-how should be able to disable a car alarm system", so does that mean because of this fact having car alarms isn't a top security feature?

Its known the world over that hard tokens are a more secured tool and offer added security to transactions so I don't get your point here.
Or do you just feel good basking in the ambience of feeling "smart" that you just rebutted something?

grin I just have to comment on this as my first comment after a long time here because I can't stop laughing, check out how you stylishly finished rayralph in a mature way, Nairaland guys got no chill I swear! grin

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:53pm On Apr 11, 2017
rayralph:
Bro !!...come here...let me educate you a lil'

The fraudsters popularly known as carders will never make a large chunk of transaction like that so as not to trigger the honeypots ..they are usually in bits just as the OP and you also pointed it out.

Its normal for the cashout to be in bits of 20k per transaction.

Where is the education there, thats common knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by rayralph(m): 9:57pm On Apr 11, 2017
Cy

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Funkybabee(f): 9:59pm On Apr 11, 2017
eh eh wahala dey for naija o with token money people they hustle for na one oloriburukku person go collect it.so bank is not safe anymore
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by brodachu: 10:00pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:

I quickly Hotlisted my Account by sending an sms with the Hotlist format and after that i received a message that my Account has been hotlisted from GTB

Thanks. Learnt about Hotlisting from your misfortune.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by nc201016(m): 10:19pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:
Greetings everyone. I feel so bad , sad and traumatised right now because of how someone just decided to wake up one day and do evil to me. My essence of writing this is to use Nairaland as a means of educating more people on the dangers you may face when your ATM card has been compromised.

Yesterday after finishing up work for the day i did my usual closing time ritual; i shut my system down, switched off the AC and the sockets then started my journey and this was already 6-01pm. When i reached Chevron round about at exactly 6-37pm I heard the usual notification tone on my phone that i had received a message. I ignored after 2 mins i heard another then i removed the phone from my pocket and checked lo and behold what did i see?N20k debit alert from GTB twice.

I was like WHAT!!! when did i initiate these transactions and while still looking at the messages surprised another N20k debit alert came in after a few seconds yet another N20k totalling N80,000 naira. Like a man possessed I quickly Hotlisted my Account by sending an sms with the Hotlist format and after that i received a message that my Account has been hotlisted from GTB but it was already too late. The balance left after the N80k taken was just N7k.

My people , the feeling of seeing your money leaving your account in ral time is a very crazy experience I felt so helpless. Anyways I have gone to a GTB Branch and complained but they are telling me it can take a week to 3 months for investigations to be concluded. Me i want my money refunded and i dont even get why it has to take so long (45 days max) to resolve that issue. Thank God i have 2 other accounts but this has got me thinking that our banks need to protect s their clients more.

The thief used a POS/Web transfer channel to remove the money why?because he knows if he uses an ATM his face will be captured by CCTV or the camera on the machine meaning No be today him de do this kain thing.

tthere should be some sort of way to prevent unauthorised transfers honestly. Either when you want to pay with a POS machine a message shoud be sent to you requesting authorization before payment can be done on a POS machine. How this thief bypassed OTP authorization to remove money from my account beats my imagination.

Please be careful everyone.

From a pained member. embarassed

boys are not smiling
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Abayor7: 10:33pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:
Greetings everyone. I feel so bad , sad and traumatised right now because of how someone just decided to wake up one day and do evil to me. My essence of writing this is to use Nairaland as a means of educating more people on the dangers you may face when your ATM card has been compromised.

Yesterday after finishing up work for the day i did my usual closing time ritual; i shut my system down, switched off the AC and the sockets then started my journey and this was already 6-01pm. When i reached Chevron round about at exactly 6-37pm I heard the usual notification tone on my phone that i had received a message. I ignored after 2 mins i heard another then i removed the phone from my pocket and checked lo and behold what did i see?N20k debit alert from GTB twice.

I was like WHAT!!! when did i initiate these transactions and while still looking at the messages surprised another N20k debit alert came in after a few seconds yet another N20k totalling N80,000 naira. Like a man possessed I quickly Hotlisted my Account by sending an sms with the Hotlist format and after that i received a message that my Account has been hotlisted from GTB but it was already too late. The balance left after the N80k taken was just N7k.

My people , the feeling of seeing your money leaving your account in ral time is a very crazy experience I felt so helpless. Anyways I have gone to a GTB Branch and complained but they are telling me it can take a week to 3 months for investigations to be concluded. Me i want my money refunded and i dont even get why it has to take so long (45 days max) to resolve that issue. Thank God i have 2 other accounts but this has got me thinking that our banks need to protect s their clients more.

The thief used a POS/Web transfer channel to remove the money why?because he knows if he uses an ATM his face will be captured by CCTV or the camera on the machine meaning No be today him de do this kain thing.

tthere should be some sort of way to prevent unauthorised transfers honestly. Either when you want to pay with a POS machine a message shoud be sent to you requesting authorization before payment can be done on a POS machine. How this thief bypassed OTP authorization to remove money from my account beats my imagination.

Sorry for the loss sir.. May Allah (SWT) console you..
I thing First bank has advanced to a secured OTP

You'll need to cconfirm your transaction with the phone number that's linked with your account.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by LordPherule(m): 10:35pm On Apr 11, 2017
Rhayour:

The investigation will be easy, at least the fund must have been transferred to another account if it was done by POS/WEB . So with the era of BVN. ur bank should be able to track the culprit
Exactly
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Abayor7: 10:37pm On Apr 11, 2017
rheether:
Was the money moved into any account?

Cc : Slex. The account can be traced

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by akigbemaru: 10:37pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by alezzy13: 11:33pm On Apr 11, 2017
Jiang:
use GT BANK AT UR OWN PERIL, 85% of people who had money stolen from thier account ALL COMPLAIN NA GT BANK ACCOUNT. as for me, I only have 3k for my gt bank account which i replenish every 2-3 months for Recharge card purchase, online transactions( i deposit the exact amount b4 transaction). The real account way my money dey, i no even collect ATM card for it, & no it ain't GT

Abegi, where did you get your stats from?

FYI, Ive been using GTB for over 10yrs with NO major issue. The few times dispensing error or debiting without receiver being credited occur, a reversal is usually effected within 24hrs. And yes, I do a lot of online transactions.

I still believe somehow the card was somehow compromised
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by captainD567: 11:51pm On Apr 11, 2017
Op truth sef no Dey your mouth....u no even tell us where ur ATM been Dey wen u dey get alert. Because naija no dey do dis careless transaction street name CARD PUNCHING so right now u Dey lie to reach front pay well it worked lol. And since na gtb bro u can't buy some online without otp Or master secure code for master cards. Either u don do sabi sabi show ur babe ur pin for shoprite come still Dey careless with ur card
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Kingbusssy(m): 11:52pm On Apr 11, 2017
pyyxxaro:

OP go and meet EFE

He wud dash you money

because I saw u jumping and rolling on the floor when EFE won

Is everything alright?
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by MrCEO69(m): 12:16am On Apr 12, 2017
slex:

Boss, even at the bank they confirmed it wasnt used on an ATM.

You know when you use an Atm the alert u get will wite ATm-name of vendor LA STan9999********

But the alert i got was POS/web Service- -name of vendor LA STan9999********

@Jabioro thank you bro,i am kanking gtb on twitter like every hour No mater I will pursue this to the end.

@ipobarecrimi Where the water to take the medicine as money no de to buy purewater .lol

Bro GTB are thieves... Sue them
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by gfullmoon(m): 6:07am On Apr 12, 2017
OlajumokeBread:

New scam ??

You're new to using ATM cards

Who doesn't know that you can go to a store, buy a $3 chewing gum and tell them to do a $8,000 cash back,
they would withdraw the $8,000 from the pos and hand it to you

You're obviously a new ATM card user

You can use someone's ATM card to buy anything without putting your pin

After the purchase, choose credit instead of debit and it won't require your pin

PIN is ATM signature, without imputing PIN you cannot perform the miracle you alleges above. Try it with your own ATM. His PIN might have been compromised somehow.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by decub: 6:59am On Apr 12, 2017
slex:

I feel your pains bro.

It will interest me to know more about how this transaction was carried out.

Possible ways could be that one of the sites having your card details (like when you buy or make payments online) may have been compromised or the site itself is not actually SSL certified.

Certain apps you use in making payments/purchases might have been hacked.

Someone might have had access to your card combinations, he doesn't need to know your pin to transact with the card especially if it's MasterCard.

Kindly update us on the findings/investigation and recommendations made by the bank because while I feel cashless policy and web payment has been simplified for convenience, a lot of people are also cashing in on that to defraud unsuspecting users.

Lastly, I feel financial and security bodies should authorize ANY transaction using a combination of token (soft or hard) and secure code even after inputting pins cos hackers have learnt to bypass pins.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by slex(m): 7:50am On Apr 12, 2017
[b][/b]
captainD567:
Op truth sef no Dey your mouth....u no even tell us where ur ATM been Dey wen u dey get alert. Because naija no dey do dis careless transaction street name CARD PUNCHING so right now u Dey lie to reach front pay well it worked lol. And since na gtb bro u can't buy some online without otp Or master secure code for master cards. Either u don do sabi sabi show ur babe ur pin for shoprite come still Dey careless with ur card

And y would i lie?to gain what exactly?
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Lookwoman17: 8:03am On Apr 12, 2017
The same thing happen to me three weeks ago, I was just receiving debit alert at the middle of night before I will open my 25k gone already getting to the bank they said I should wait for 45 working days which am not pleased with.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 12, 2017
metrosexual:

@ Handsomebeing, for QuickTeller, if you have a hard token device, it would request you enter your ATM pin plus your token pin as your OTP, that's even more secure than OTP through your phone number.

Everyone should go get a hard Token device from your bank.

When you have a token device, for 99% of all online transactions I have tried out, you would need to input your ATM PIN(4 digits) plus TOKEN PIN(6 digits) as your 10 digits OTP gateway, it would be rare for someone to know your ATM PIN and still have access to your token device, someone targeting you can easily get access to your phone for phone OTP purposes but would rarely know you have a hard token device. And I hope you know token pin changes every 30 seconds.
God bless you, I've been thinking of getting the hard token device before, how can I go about it, I'm using first Bank.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by slex(m): 8:48am On Apr 12, 2017
Lookwoman17:
The same thing happen to me three weeks ago, I was just receiving debit alert at the middle of night before I will open my 25k gone already getting to the bank they said I should wait for 45 working days which am not pleased with.

GTB again?

Well thank god for my Stanbic and Skye Account.

If my issue isnt resolved, Gtb wont neeed me as their customer anyways because they have so many.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by captainD567: 9:08am On Apr 12, 2017
slex:
[b][/b]

And y would i lie?to gain what exactly?
so u go reach front page
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by OlajumokeBread(f): 11:05am On Apr 12, 2017
gfullmoon:

PIN is ATM signature, without imputing PIN you cannot perform the miracle you alleges above. Try it with your own ATM. His PIN might have been compromised somehow.

Shut up

I don't talk to illiterates

I would have gone to a mall, buy something and tell them i need a cash back and i will video everything

I would have gone to a mall, buy an expensive item and then tell them to make it a credit transaction without my ATM pin

But i don't have time for fools

Enjoy your day

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by gfullmoon(m): 9:09pm On Apr 12, 2017
OlajumokeBread:

Shut up

I would have gone to a mall, buy something and tell them i need a cash back and i will video everything

I would have gone to a mall, buy an expensive item and then tell them to make it a credit transaction without my ATM pin

Sunny girl, a cat may look at a king. I am sorry you are balking the wrong tree, I belief you are the type who would not like to pick her teeth immediately after a meal, don't you know Videos can even be doctored. With your silly video evidence, it is only birds that will believe you,and I am not one. I am illiterate but you are a Professor no doubt. I never doubted cash back and will never do, what I faulted was transactions without PIN. Never call someone you barely know illiterate just because he/she did not buy your opinion even if you are right.
Enjoy your day
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by siempere(m): 10:30pm On Apr 12, 2017
OlajumokeBread:

Shut up

Enjoy your day
The OP is in Nigeria....go and do it in a Nigerian mall, video it and show us.....tnks..

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by slex(m): 8:38am On Apr 13, 2017
decub:

I feel your pains bro.

It will interest me to know more about how this transaction was carried out.

Possible ways could be that one of the sites having your card details (like when you buy or make payments online) may have been compromised or the site itself is not actually SSL certified.

Certain apps you use in making payments/purchases might have been hacked.

Someone might have had access to your card combinations, he doesn't need to know your pin to transact with the card especially if it's MasterCard.

Kindly update us on the findings/investigation and recommendations made by the bank because while I feel cashless policy and web payment has been simplified for convenience, a lot of people are also cashing in on that to defraud unsuspecting users.

Lastly, I feel financial and security bodies should authorize ANY transaction using a combination of token (soft or hard) and secure code even after inputting pins cos hackers have learnt to bypass pins.

i will mos def. I got a mail today from the e-fraud team so I will be updating the house till i decide to give up.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by mikolo80: 5:29am On Apr 15, 2017
slex:

if you no get phone nko
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by slex(m): 1:57pm On Jun 13, 2017
Hello house,

Update on the issue I narrated from page 1. NOTHING has been done and the 45 days GTB gave me has almost elapsed so I leave all to God but GTB has just created an ANTI-GTB person in me.

Thank you all

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by blackrebirth: 3:03pm On Jan 16, 2019
Slex..... Please if possible, I would like to discuss with you about the POS/WEB Transaction....08034762014 My number.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Silensa(m): 5:13pm On Jan 16, 2019
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Teniolasmart: 10:33am On Mar 16, 2019
dingbang:
I can't find any scam in there.. Admit you were careless in revealing your details to somebody.. You must have given someone ur pin in the past..

For the record, I still know my former boss's atm card pin since she always gave me to withdraw money for her . although I am not working for her anymore..

So.. Now tell me . if I were smart back den, all I simply would have done was to copy out her ATM card number and _cvv number.. .. Voila. .

Efenized grin
lol how will you use it...... Almost all site requires otp

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Yahoo Boy Caught With Lady's Pants And Bras In Warri (Photos, Video) / Police Threatens "Blind" Beggar With Tear Gas, See What Happened Next. Photos / Prisons ‘Pamper’ Chidinma Ojukwu With Special Car Ride

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.