Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring (29041 Views)

Religious Leaders Kick Against Security Levies On Churches, Mosques In Oyo / IPOB Protests Against Restructuring In Port-Harcourt (VIDEO) / Yoruba Youths Kick Against Restructuring. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by Truth234(m): 5:22am On Apr 13, 2017
Northern leaders on Wednesday rejected the calls for restructuring of the country.

They also called on the federal government to vote more resources for exploration of oil in the region.

During a meeting in Abuja, the northern leaders, who were members of the 2014 National Conference, spoke on the platform of the Northern Delegates’ Forum (NDF).

According to the forum, “The North was not given fair representation in the conference with 189 delegates despite its landmass of 70 per cent and 55 per cent of the country’s population.

“Therefore, we were not happy with the report and have come out with this second report and communiqué.”

Mr. Bashiru Dalhatu, who was a Minister of Power and Steel in the Gen. Sani Abacha government, while presenting his keynote address, said: “The 2014 national conference had 492 members and the north which constitutes about 70 per cent of the country’s landmass and 55 per cent of its population was allocated 189 delegates while the South with only 30 per cent of the landmass and 45 per cent of its population was given an incredible 305 delegates.

“This went against sensible demographics, law and practice, which could have hardly been done in good faith. Certainly it was designed to put in particular our delegates and the North in general at a disadvantage.

“All attempts to get the President Goodluck Jonathan administration, including pleas by well meaning Nigerians who genuinely wanted a national conference to reflect the diversity and complexity of the Nigerian society, fell on deaf ears.”

The leaders also noted that it had become fashionable these days for all manner of people to clamour for the restructuring of Nigeria along some undefined contours and outside, in some cases, contrary to the existing constitutional order.

“To reiterate and maintain our position that the report of the confab is of questionable legal validity, the outcome of a process that lacks popular mandate or support and major decisions were arrived at by undemocratic means or at variance with due process.

“To disassociate the NDF from any attempt by any group to seek to implement or force the federal government or any of its institutions to use the report of the conference, under any guise for the purpose of restructuring Nigeria.

“To call upon any group of sponsors or individuals agitating for any form of restructuring of the federation, first and foremost, to respect the existing constitutional order and to seek to do so within the bounds and parameters stipulated under our constitution and law. To suggest otherwise would lead to chaos and anarchy,” the NDF said.

The forum further urged members of the National Assembly to be wary of and not rely or act upon a report which is full of flaws and not enjoying national or popular support.

They also resolved to initiate all necessary steps and take all lawful measures to engage the stakeholders, such as governors, opinion leaders, civil society groups within the region and across the nation with a view to disseminating and canvassing the support of the report produced by the Strategy and Legal Committee of the NDF.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/04/13/northern-leaders-kick-against-restructuring//

1 Share

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by coolzeal(m): 5:23am On Apr 13, 2017
The North cannot detect for us all in this nation. If the collective effort of the better South put politics and tribes aside, no one can stop us from restructuring.

134 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by Atiku2019: 5:25am On Apr 13, 2017
Atiku Stands with 100% Restructuring cool

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by sarrki(m): 5:27am On Apr 13, 2017
Restructuring is actually Good

Only concern is we don't have good people that can represent each region

Not the set of criminals we have at the two upper houses

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by ZombiePUNISHER: 5:31am On Apr 13, 2017
Remove a parasite attached to a host.it will die a sudden death
The irony is even when northern sane leaders like sanusi speaks the honest truth about the status of the north in Nigeria
These same old fools will shout down on him

Where are the Yoruba Muslims .. Come and chant Sai baba and one Nigeria as usual

158 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by ZombiePUNISHER: 5:34am On Apr 13, 2017
sarrki:
Restructuring is actually Good

Only concern is we don't have good people that can represent each region

Not the set of criminals we have at the two upper houses
Let's restructure first
Followed by state police
Stop all these unnecessary excuses

117 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by ZombiePUNISHER: 5:35am On Apr 13, 2017
Atiku2019:
Atiku is a thief

164 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by mannobi(m): 5:38am On Apr 13, 2017
It's always about the north

31 Likes

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by ipobarecriminals: 5:41am On Apr 13, 2017
sad
Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by praise010(m): 5:49am On Apr 13, 2017
That's the only thing the illiterates brag about - land mass and population. They practically add little or nothing to the economy of the association called Nigeria.

They prefer status quo....docile States and parasitic local governments that relies only on Niger Delta Oil for Survival.

I no blame them sha. The brown roof enclaves caused it all

235 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by littlewonders: 5:59am On Apr 13, 2017
As if they represent the nation. I wonder what our south senators are doing up there allowing northerners to detect in every aspect that concern the economy.

26 Likes

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by orisa37: 6:01am On Apr 13, 2017
The NASS has all The Powers.
Call The Bluffs
Make The 36 States Fully Autonomous with regards to Sourcing and Spending their Resources.
Limit Federal Powers to Foreign Affairs, Military and Treaties.
By merely amending The Exclusive List this way, all The 36 States will soon be in the streets marketing for relationships with themselves for survival with or without the constitution.

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by Afriifa(m): 6:02am On Apr 13, 2017
Resource control.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:15am On Apr 13, 2017
Atiku2019:
Atiku is a pot-bellied thief angry angry

16 Likes

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:18am On Apr 13, 2017
North Is A Parasite, that's all

56 Likes

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by somadinho10: 6:22am On Apr 13, 2017
I have said it before and I will continue to say it...... The problem we the southerners have are the north, can you believe the three southern presidents were by accidents, our major problem is disunity and trust, igbos will never seek for secession had Lord lugard not joined us with those people that should have been joined with Niger and Chad I'm sorry to call any tribe but the yoruba people are the only reason this people always hold us for ransom, remember how awolowo,abiola, and recently Tinubu were used and dumbed.. ...... .. I call for a United south

106 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by somadinho10: 6:33am On Apr 13, 2017
Atiku2019:
are you northerners never tired of power?.... .. Atiku my foot... ....

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by Ikegift4real(m): 6:47am On Apr 13, 2017
Y r they really not getting it? Let try another pattern because this one no de work .

6 Likes

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by EazyMoh(m): 7:03am On Apr 13, 2017
Uncle Bashir we have heard you but that confab os as worthless as GEJ'S PhD!

4 Likes

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by apcisevil: 7:09am On Apr 13, 2017
orisa37:
The NASS has all The Powers.
Call The Bluffs
Make The 36 States Fully Autonomous with regards to Sourcing and Spending their Resources.
Limit Federal Powers to Foreign Affairs, Military and Treaties.
By merely amending The Exclusive List this way, all The 36 States will soon be in the streets marketing for relationships with themselves for survival with or without the constitution.
NASS IS FILLED WITH THE SAME E NORTHERNERS...so think right...Nass will never call the bluffs

10 Likes

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by ConqueredWest: 7:21am On Apr 13, 2017
Northern Curse

20 Likes

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by Flyingngel(m): 7:46am On Apr 13, 2017
Why can't the south bury their misunderstanding and speak against these parasitic animal. Oh! Tinubu and others have vested interest in this rotten country.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by Amberon: 7:50am On Apr 13, 2017
We must break free from this curse called the north.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by Jabioro: 7:58am On Apr 13, 2017
If the northerner refused better adjustment, it shows we can't live together as a nation.. let us goes ours separate ways like IPOB do wanted..

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by Amberon: 7:58am On Apr 13, 2017
The bolded is what I also advocate for. A united south. The Yoruba's want resource control, the Igbo's want resource control, the Niger Delta also want resource control. I think we should all come together and dissociate from the parasitic north.
somadinho10:
I have said it before and I will continue to say it...... The problem we the southerners have are the north, can you believe the three southern presidents were by accidents, our major problem is disunity and trust, igbos will never seek for secession had Lord lugard not joined us with those people that should have been joined with Niger and Chad I'm sorry to call any tribe but the yoruba people are the only reason this people always hold us for ransom, remember how awolowo,abiola, and recently Tinubu were used and dumbed.. ...... .. I call for a United south

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by somadinho10: 8:16am On Apr 13, 2017
Amberon:
The bolded is what I also advocate for. A united south. The Yoruba's want resource control, the Igbo's want resource control, the Niger Delta also want resource control. I think we should all come together and dissociate from the parasitic north.
I tells you my brother but what baffles me is the fact that I don't know what the yorubas gain in associating with the north...... What have they to offer absolutely NOTHING

24 Likes

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by BLACKdagger: 8:17am On Apr 13, 2017
blackfase:
Not Yorubas in general.
A large percentage of Odua is fed up about this lie called Nigeria. Its the useless gluttonous cursed politicians and a few myopic undiscerning cretins there that are saboteurs and based on this fact, it doesnt qualify to tag all Yorubas cos a lot of cursed Igbo leaders are also selling out. I wish and hope they receive sense quick and see theres nothing to gain staying with these Northern brood or are forced to by whatever means. These Northerners are just unbelievable....
This is a lie brother
but its d same yoruba that carry biafra matter for head like gala here more than the hausas...Wheneva ipob mentioned secession
which u kno very well..

STOP TELLING OBVIOUS LIE BRO..
Had it been yorubas dnt sell souths out by forming allies with north during election the norths wont be feeling superior.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 13, 2017
Anyway I think that any Southern Governor that wants to pursue devolution will be able to do that whether the North agrees to restructuring or North

Lagos State has various time pursue this agenda on various issues

I wish APGA can campaign on devolution and implement it policy by policy or issue by issue rather than waiting for restructuring from federal government

I also wish IPOB can close ranks with APGA on this subject

Nigerian being a Fedralist state is already restructured to some degree, we just have to implement it!

1 Like

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by 1Rebel: 8:26am On Apr 13, 2017
coolzeal:
The North cannot detect for us all in this nation. If the collective effort of the better South put politics and tribes aside, no one can stop us from restructuring.

You cannot put the tribal identity aside, an average nigerian sees his tribe first, then nigeria second.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Leaders Kick Against Restructuring by Nobody: 8:32am On Apr 13, 2017
The North don't want to be creative

Only want free money from the South .

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Vs Kayode Ogundamisi On Live UK TV Interview / How I Brought RUGA To Abia, By Orji Kalu / Dr. Maduka Commiserates With Ike Ekweremadu Over Death Of Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.