Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,792 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

Critique Of The Year 2009 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Critique Of The Year 2009 (661 Views)

A Critique Of Ben Murry Bruce's Book Tittled: Commonsense Revolution By Ochuba / Fashola Is The Guardian's Man Of The Year 2009 / Best Governor Of The Year 2009 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Critique Of The Year 2009 by DrTony1(m): 5:08pm On Dec 31, 2009
As the Year 2009 roll by, several great landmarks has been achieved but these were marred a number of cataclysm.

The year 2009 began on a good note as just roughly 4 decades the dreams of Martin Luther King began manifesting, as African-American Barack Hussein Obama sat in the Oval Office argubaly the most powerful of its kind in the world, the African community thought this was a victory to be succeeded by many, this fate only time will tell. Meanwhile Governance in Nigeria has been marked by absenteeism by Pres. Yar'adua refusing to resign to treat more important issues like his ghastly health condition. The result being we have achieved a Zero Point Agenda instead of the acclaimed Seven. Even the bible tells us a Family with no Shepherd is in peril just like Nigeria maybe heading in.

With the Global Economy being severely hit by the GREAT depression just like that of the 1930's, which saw dozens of gargantuan companies cave in, tens of thousands of workers laid off and probably skyrocketing of global unemployment and crime rate.
In Nigeria, the exposed 'paper profits' by banks resulted to a mammoth no. of bank workers being laided off to curb excessive wage demanded or maybe a possible bankruptcy.

The Global Environment have been severely degraded mostly by we, the inhabitants. Early in the year 2009, devastating forest fires rocked most parts of Australia which was later to be named the worst in Australian history. Alongside the melting of the world's coral reefs, severe acidification of the Ocean and Myriads of other Enviromental menaces has raised a huge question, which is 'What are we doing to cut-down greenhouse gases & CO2 emissions and combat Enviromental degradation?? Thank God a compromise was reached at the Copenhagen Climate Summit in Dec. 2009. Even in Nigeria hasnt been any different with the routine gas flaring and Oil pollution on Niger-Delta Lands and Waters. Instead the Nigerian Government has swept these problems under the rug which is why I sometimes support MEND and other Niger-Delta Activists. Global Over dependence on Crude Oil has to stop!! but this makes me pity my dear country Nigeria which has Crude Oil as its sole source of revenue.

The Fight for a safer environment boils down to you and I, not just the Government. This reminds me of what John F. Kennedy said " Ask not for what your country will do for you but what you will do for your country" and I urge you my fellow Nigerians to help the Environment in whatever ways you can.

Augmented crime rates all over the world give me paramount concern as to whether the armaggedon prophecied in the New Testament(Revelations) has come to reside with us. Dozens of public shootings has crowded the News headlines just like that which happened on New Year's Eve(31st Dec. 2009) at a Finnish city of Espoo in which the shooter was reportedly found dead. Isnt it time Gun Laws are reviewed?

Despite the War on Terrorism led by the U.S which has ravaged most parts of the Middle East in search of Al-Qaeda and Taliban Operatives. It has yielded little results as the World was stunned by the failed attempt by a Nigerian 'Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab' to bomb a Transatlantic Airline which was bound to Detroit U.S.A. from amsterdam. It still perplexs me why a son of a wealthy business chose to be an Instrument of Terror by Al-Qaeda operatives in Yemen. I strongly rouse the Nigerian Government to Revoke Abdulmutallab Citizenship and all Nigerians to repudiate this Terrorist as we Nigerians are NOT terrorists and will not condole it in any form.

My eyebrows have been raised on the Global Security especially at our Airports with several similar incidents trailing that of Adulmutallab's which includes that of man found with pyrotechnics on a plane. Nobody wants to be board a plane with a terrorist only to be bombed down the skies some hours later.

Also another terror act on 31st Dec. 2009 saw a man dressed as an Afghan Soldier infiltrate the U.S Base at the Afghan province Khost, only to blow up 8 american citizens, allegedly CIA agents. The Question is HOW was the Security Breached
All these incidents have exposed the lapses in Global Security not exempting the developed Nations especially America, even with all her Intelligence Agencies.

In Nigeria it hasnt been any better, as a host of dignitaries and citizens were kidnapped in the year 2009 despite the ever presence of the police and were only released after some substantial amounts was paid as ransom. This makes me ask 'CAN NIGERIA REFORM ITS INFAMOUS POLICE FORCE' who 'rob' commercial drivers of N20 instead of protecting the citizens proving what Einstein said " Only two things are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity, Im not sure about the former"

Obviously, these aberrations have been tackled with Smokes and mirrors but My Fellow NIGERIANS lets be the change, please lets give no room for excuses. Do whatever is right, get IDEAS!!! and stand up for the dreams you believe in, for no one but us can make Nigeria a big enchilada and the World at large a better place. May God help us all in our quest.

(1) (Reply)

Where Are We Heading To? / Turai For Vice President / Breaking News!senate Declares Jonathan Acting President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.